• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I love you Dave!
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

its also frustrating when people complain that the plot makes no sense. while that may be true if you haven't played previous games in the series that's hardly the games fault and 3D at least makes an effort to explain things to new players.

It's pretty hard to play 6 different games that are on 5 different systems, not to mention that the main two games are on a system that has a successor. I've played all of the ones I have the systems for, which is only 365/2 Days and Chain of Memories. I had no idea what was going on in Chain of Memories. I still don't really know what was going on in that game. I wasn't as confused in 365/2 Days, but I still have a lot of questions. I could look up the overall plot online, but reading is no replacement for experiencing. Shouldn't a game fill in new players or have a self contained plot? Telling players to either Google it or play/buy the other games seems like a cheap thing to do.

Is the combat in 3D more like the system in 365/2 Days or Chain of Memories? I thought it was like 365/2 Days', but the mention of a "rotating “deck” of commands" made me worried because I hated Chain of Memories' combat. Confused

@KarmaRocketX The review basically said the game was fun and entertaining but had a weak plot and was gaudy. How is that overly negative?

Last edited by SereneChaos on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Quoted post was removed.

As the rules specficially state, you are allowed to disagree all you want, but you are still expected to be civil and respectful. Apparently some people rage hard if a reviewer doesn't 100% agree with them, even if they both like the game in the end.

I suggest taking English 101 before criticizing anyone else's writing style, dude.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I said to myself that I was going to avoid this thread but you know what... I'm dumping this off then leaving <_<

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
B-List? HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME IS NOT B-LIST!

Frankly, it is the best animated Disney movie of all time.

I like that movie a lot myself but it isn't exactly unfair to call it B-list. It isn't one of their revered classics or anything.

If the talking gargoyles and their extremely out-of-place humor had been omitted from the movie it would've made it a lot better. They did a pretty decent job of keeping the story together without some of the other important characters from the novel.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

its also frustrating when people complain that the plot makes no sense. while that may be true if you haven't played previous games in the series that's hardly the games fault and 3D at least makes an effort to explain things to new players.

It's pretty hard to play 6 different games that are on 5 different systems, not to mention that the main two games are on a system that has a successor. I've played all of the ones I have the systems for, which is only 365/2 Days and Chain of Memories. I had no idea what was going on in Chain of Memories. I still don't really know what was going on in that game. I wasn't as confused in 365/2 Days, but I still have a lot of questions. I could look up the overall plot online, but reading is no replacement for experiencing. Shouldn't a game fill in new players or have a self contained plot? Telling players to either Google it or play/buy the other games seems like a cheap thing to do.

Is the combat in 3D more like the system in 365/2 Days or Chain of Memories? I thought it was like 365/2 Days', but the mention of a "rotating “deck” of commands" made me worried because I hated Chain of Memories' combat. Confused

@KarmaRocketX The review basically said the game was fun and entertaining but had a weak plot and was gaudy. How is that overly negative?

the combat is more like BBS and re:coded in which they used a deck system, where basically you put abilities in you're deck and when used they go on cooldown for a certain amount of time before you can use them again. it was basically a way for them to ditch mana and is considered one of the better changes the series has made over the years.

as for the plot, its hard to say whats better i mean i like an ongoing plot and generally the story lines are self contained but they still tie into a larger plot. but fact is unless you play all the games you won't understand the whole plot. at the very least 3D gives you info on pretty much everything in the series if you don't mind doing some reading and never plan on playing the other games. that said 3D is a hard game to enter the series on cause it is super reliant on people having played the other games since they are building up to the climax of the main story line of the series.

personally i'm still hoping for an HD collection.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
When is the Kingdom Hearts where they go to, like, The Black Cauldron and Oliver And Company? They've GOT to be running out of generally-well-liked-and-memorable Disney pictures soon, right?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
When is the Kingdom Hearts where they go to, like, The Black Cauldron and Oliver And Company? They've GOT to be running out of generally-well-liked-and-memorable Disney pictures soon, right?

Eventually they'll get desperate and go to Home On The Range and Pocahontas II.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I don't want to come across as a guy who complains when a game he likes isn't given an amazing review, because that would make me an entitled snit. However, the game reviews on ANN have really been getting to me, given that they stand in stark contrast to most critics, as well as their faulty structuring and inconsistency with what they're stating and the final overall grade. I would urge people to play this game, as well as "Lollipop Chainsaw", which I believe this same critic smashed.

Have you seen what several prominent critics have stated? How many articles on major websites have articles claiming that Final Fantasy should completely revamp how they make games by ripping off bioware? FF maybe one of my favorite franchises but I am not going to play an FF if they removed everything I love for boring cover based first person shooting.

The Kotaku review for Xenoblade list "Its a wi game" as a major detraction for the game. Sure lets just jack up the budget tens of millions more and guarantee that the game is a major money loser just so it can slightly look better.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Have you seen what several prominent critics have stated? How many articles on major websites have articles claiming that Final Fantasy should completely revamp how they make games by ripping off bioware? FF maybe one of my favorite franchises but I am not going to play an FF if they removed everything I love for boring cover based first person shooting.

The Kotaku review for Xenoblade list "Its a wi game" as a major detraction for the game. Sure lets just jack up the budget tens of millions more and guarantee that the game is a major money loser just so it can slightly look better.

Well they need to do something with the franchise. They need to take it in a direction, innovate.

When people say they want to make it more like a Bioware game, they don't mean "boring cover based first person shooter" (which, by the way, is not any game made by Bioware), they mean they need to evolve. Bioware used to make games that were top down RPG's, games that had really great stories but lackluster combat. Over time they've evolved to the point of a game like Mass Effect. The reason people play is the same, the story, but the combat sections have turned from lackluster to fun (the old games had their moments with good strategic elements, but I feel the bad outweighed the good). The lines are blurring on what makes a game an RPG, hell the latest call of duty has more RPG elements than Final Fantasy XIII

Can you imagine if the combat system in XIII was like an action game? Suddenly the gameplay gets a lot more fun. You could keep the stats and paradigms, it then becomes a complex action RPG with fun combat.

Also: fudge Kotaku, but if you seriously think the other consoles are only "slightly look better" you need to have your eyes examined.

Though to be honest, most console games look like garbage (30 fps limit, no AA, limited draw distance and low definition output).

Last edited by Animehermit on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I LOVED this game! I thought the stays in the Disney worlds weren't that long despite Sora and Riku both visiting them. I felt a disconnect really and some of the worlds weren't that exciting story-wise like Tron's world. The only good thing about Tron's world story was when Sora tried to bring Tron back. Really the main thing they were conveying for KH3D was the connection and bond between Sora and Riku. But the main story was great to me and man was I shocked at the end! I'm excited to see what comes next!!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Well they need to do something with the franchise. They need to take it in a direction, innovate.

When people say they want to make it more like a Bioware game, they don't mean "boring cover based first person shooter" (which, by the way, is not any game made by Bioware), they mean they need to evolve. Bioware used to make games that were top down RPG's, games that had really great stories but lackluster combat. Over time they've evolved to the point of a game like Mass Effect. The reason people play is the same, the story, but the combat sections have turned from lackluster to fun (the old games had their moments with good strategic elements, but I feel the bad outweighed the good). The lines are blurring on what makes a game an RPG, hell the latest call of duty has more RPG elements than Final Fantasy XIII

Can you imagine if the combat system in XIII was like an action game? Suddenly the gameplay gets a lot more fun. You could keep the stats and paradigms, it then becomes a complex action RPG with fun combat.

Also: fudge Kotaku, but if you seriously think the other consoles are only "slightly look better" you need to have your eyes examined.

Though to be honest, most console games look like garbage (30 fps limit, no AA, limited draw distance and low definition output).

The emphasis on HD graphics above all else is why Adventure Games are few and far between with Telltale games being the only non-independent studio making them, and JRPGs soon to join them because you need to sell 2 million copies just to break even. This idea that the genres need to blur is preposterous, a Final Fantasy game should not be CoD minus the conservative themes.

Bioware games have always been bland, and Mass Effect (at least the first game) doesnt improve that. The first game was defended to me as "really good when it came out but it aged badly". Now apparently the franchise does improve but I am not going trust people on that manner.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The emphasis on HD graphics above all else is why Adventure Games are few and far between with Telltale games being the only non-independent studio making them, and JRPGs soon to join them because you need to sell 2 million copies just to break even. This idea that the genres need to blur is preposterous, a Final Fantasy game should not be CoD minus the conservative themes.

Bioware games have always been bland, and Mass Effect (at least the first game) doesnt improve that. The first game was defended to me as "really good when it came out but it aged badly". Now apparently the franchise does improve but I am not going trust people on that manner.

You know, I don't think your first statement is true. The PC platform can outperform any console on the market today. It has the best tech and is able to output in 1080p fairly easily. What are the two most popular PC games right now? Minecraft and the Arma2 mod DayZ. Both of which are not Crysis level graphics whores. What DayZ and Minecraft do have is proper PC support though, both can be played in anything from 70-120 FOV, and both run at higher framerates than 30. Which is something most console games don't do.

Adventure games have always been a niche, they were just a bigger niche in the 90's before the PC got a hold of a greater variety of game genres.

JRPG's may be dying out because of the graphics focus, I wouldn't know about that. XIII is a good looking game I'll say that. That really doesn't mean anything though. Gamers don't really care how pretty it looks for the most part. A bad looking game rarely effects my enjoyment of it(a good looking game can enhance my enjoyment of it though).

And maybe you should try Mass Effect 2 for yourself and form your own opinion. 2 is a meaner, darker game. It's a bit like Empire Strikes Back compared to 1's A New Hope. 3 is an even bigger improvement on combat mechanics, shooting is tighter with a greater variety of weapons/armor and abilities.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I LOVED this game! I thought the stays in the Disney worlds weren't that long despite Sora and Riku both visiting them. I felt a disconnect really and some of the worlds weren't that exciting story-wise like Tron's world. The only good thing about Tron's world story was when Sora tried to bring Tron back. Really the main thing they were conveying for KH3D was the connection and bond between Sora and Riku. But the main story was great to me and man was I shocked at the end! I'm excited to see what comes next!!

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for Kingdom Hearts III (PS3?) to be released, like maybe Summer 2013 or Summer 2014?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
At this point, KH needs to make worlds out of SE properties for me to give a damn and that practically means Sora having to fight Doulmagus and Queen Schala at the same time with Maximum John Wu happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4