• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Oh man, I'm glad the anime changed that."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
One that comes to mind is from Midori Days. I thought the anime flowed better by deleting all the endless filler stuff and a particularly annoying female American transfer student.

That's about the only one I can think of though, since I'm not much for manga so thus rarely read/watch them both unless there's something wrong with the anime adaptation like the manga goes further with the story and I want to know what happens.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought the way they handled the interaction between Hachimaki and Ai in Planetes was better in the anime than in the manga.

spoiler[In the manga, Ai is introduced about midway through, and Hachimaki leaves for his trip to Jupiter not too long after. During the trip, he has an epiphany that he loves Ai, but there's not really much buildup in his previous interactions with her before the trip to indicate why she would be his love interest. In the anime, on the other hand, Ai is introduced at the beginning. We see Ai and Hachi build up a relationship over several episodes, and when Hachi finally proposes, it comes across as the culmination of something a long time coming.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
One prime example I can think of is a character from Soul Eater:

Manga: spoiler[Black Star kills Mifune.]

Anime spoiler[Mifune survives and decides to be a sensei at Shibusen]

I loved that character so I'm glad the anime did that with him. <3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
I don't read a lot of source material, but I will see.

Perhaps Karin, with the manga Chibi Vampire, the anime made Elda spoiler[into more of a tragic figure in having an ex-lover who was human, and introduced the vampire hunter Wiinner. In the manga Elda is a bit more of a tough nut, and a lot more attached to James.] In some ways I am just glad that the let themselves do something different rather than just copy.

And Rosario + Vampire, while the manga is generally better, I do like how Ruby's introduced was done in the anime. spoiler[It turned out that the evil witch (her master) had seen the error of her ways before dying, and that all of the acts were actually Ruby's using a split personality. The original made her have to chose between her master who looked after her, and the characters she had just met.] I was kind of happilly surprised it was different when I read the manga, but I prefered the anime's one, although it might have been that I saw the anime first.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Wait so you don't want a sequel? Or just didn't want the whole story in one sitting(two cour) because you thought the ending ruined the show, so you liked the fact they only showed the good heartwarming parts for the first season?

I don't want a sequel, as the ending of the Manga really does ruin things. I'm glad that the Anime never got around to adapting the second half. Even if it was just because of time constraints I don't care, I'm still happy I didn't have to see *that* being animated.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Wait so you don't want a sequel? Or just didn't want the whole story in one sitting(two cour) because you thought the ending ruined the show, so you liked the fact they only showed the good heartwarming parts for the first season?

I don't want a sequel, as the ending of the Manga really does ruin things. I'm glad that the Anime never got around to adapting the second half. Even if it was just because of time constraints I don't care, I'm still happy I didn't have to see *that* being animated.

Haha I know what you mean. The ending was weird to me and unrealistic to me. DON'T READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END. spoiler[ As I don't think its possible to fall in love someone with some you see your entire life. This is why you don't fall in love with little sisters etc, because you see them everyday and have established you are a family. He has been taking care of her as a daughter ever since she was 5, so I don't see how he can possible fall in love with her as she got older... Not to mention they have like a 25 year difference...]
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Aria, when it introduced the characters faster, including Ai. Also a few things were done to make it some of the chapters less "grand" than in the manga which I found better suited for the mood. Of course there were a few things also left out that could have worked better than some other stuff, but nothing's perfect they say.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thought of some other scenes from my #1 series, Anime hyper The reason I didn't think of them before was because I saw the anime first. But that doesn't really matter, now does it?

Full Moon Wo Sagashite
spoiler[Scenario 1: Ignoring her throat cancer, Mitsuki faints and stops breathing after singing for help because she needs to go to an audition. Takuto revives her through the only way shoujo does best "the kiss of life" Anime hyper]

In the manga spoiler[Mitsuki is still unconscious so she doesn't realize it's him. She passes out again and he turns her into Full Moon. They give up on the audition because they're five hours late. ]The whole scene is done in a rather comical manner.

In the anime, they make this scene VERY serious and tune the drama up to 11:
spoiler[Mitsuki is lying on the street because she tried to go to the audition herself, while she has a really high fever. (She is 12. Common sense is a new thing to her Anime hyper) She senses she will die and mentally says her apologies and good-byes to everyone she loves. Takuto does not find her until she is unconscious. He is begging Mitsuki to open her eyes while giving her mouth-to-mouth. This time Mitsuki wakes up and realizes what happened. They both blush. He turns her into healthy Full Moon and they run to the audition; he does his damnest to make sure she gets there unharmed. While in the elevator alone together, Mitsuki keeps thinking about the "kiss". He insists it doesn't count as her first kiss. The awkward interaction between them during this scene is handled so well and it's very very adorable. Anime hyper]

Scenario 2: spoiler[Mitsuki is feeling down and reconsidering her decision to be a singer. Takuto lifts her spirits by singing her own song for her. Then follows their interaction regarding this.]

In the manga spoiler[ While he does cheer her up, it's mainly through some light-hearted teasing. It's cute...but well....]

In the anime spoiler[ They have a heart-to-heart talk, during which she gets him to laugh for the very first time since they met. He promises her he'll do whatever it takes to get her to follow her dream. During all of this, the sun starts to rise as they sit side by side together. It's very beautiful, romantic, and touching <3]

Manga: spoiler[After confessing to Mitsuki, this fourteen-year-old douche forces a kiss on a defenseless ten-year-old girl. Did she like it? F*CK NO. She pushes him away, runs outside the room, sits down and sobs.]

Anime? There's no such scene. He tells her how he feels and walks away.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't read a lot of source material, but I will see.

Perhaps Karin, with the manga Chibi Vampire, the anime made Elda spoiler[into more of a tragic figure in having an ex-lover who was human, and introduced the vampire hunter Wiinner. In the manga Elda is a bit more of a tough nut, and a lot more attached to James.] In some ways I am just glad that the let themselves do something different rather than just copy.

Mm! I liked that too! She was one of my favorite characters mostly because of that.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
(The same realization they eventually came to when they found out Ranma 1/2's first season wasn't working as the manga's multi-episode serial.)

(And that the TV version's first season should bring on Shampoo earlier in the canon, if they wanted to stay on the air.) Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan has a lot of changes, but one that fits this is when they introduced Sonoko earlier. In the manga she's first introduced during a major case involving her family. In the anime she's there from like episode 5 hanging out with Ran, while the case in question happens in episode 30 or so.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Haha I know what you mean. The ending was weird to me and unrealistic to me. DON'T READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END. spoiler[ As I don't think its possible to fall in love someone with some you see your entire life. This is why you don't fall in love with little sisters etc, because you see them everyday and have established you are a family. He has been taking care of her as a daughter ever since she was 5, so I don't see how he can possible fall in love with her as she got older... Not to mention they have like a 25 year difference...]
What??? Your kidding me. Please say you're kidding me. They actually did that in the manga? spoiler[Rin and Daikichi fall in love?] Thank god they didn't put that in the anime.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
What??? Your kidding me. Please say you're kidding me. They actually did that in the manga? spoiler[Rin and Daikichi fall in love?] Thank god they didn't put that in the anime.

Yes they did that in the manga.... A lot of people felt the ending ruined it from becoming a masterpiece.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Wow. Well, the manga and anime are two completely different universes in my head now. I wonder how the Japanese fans of Bunny Drop feel about the ending.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
If a second season of Bunny Drop is made, I REALLY hope they change the ending. I always envisioned a good Bunny Drop ending being at Rin's wedding or something like that. Showin Daikichi, as a father, reaching the point in life where he has to finally let his little girl go. Any father could relate to that.

As for adaptations, the only I can think of at the top of my head are the other way around (Anime-to-manga) with Evangelion. Like spoiler[Shinji not being as whiny, not masturbating to a comatose girl, being more sarcastic funny, having him stand up to others like Asuka, etc.]
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they spent less time on the happy-fun aspects of Higurashi (at least in season 1).

There's no way I would've made it through spoiler[ten minutes or so of mahjong during the Time Killing Arc.]

At least it seemed quicker during the manga. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5