• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NisiOisin's Upcoming Monogatari Anime Works Outlined

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leiser9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised that they'd combine all the "second season" novels into a 2-cour series, especially due to the massive length of Nekomonogatari (White) compared to the other books.

On the other hand, since they are combining all the second season novels into a 2-cour series, that means we'd probably get them a lot sooner than if they were spread out.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
I expected with a outline there would some kind of timeline.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:

With SHAFT it is quite easy to know the timeline, you just have to put LATE or DELAYED next to the project name Anime hyper
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Since Kizumonogatari is going to be a movie that heavily relies on action sequences, the delay actually makes me quite happy. Think of it this way, Kizumonogatari is a fantastic opportunity to attract new fans because you do not need any prior knowledge of the series going into the movie. If Shaft is going to go all-out and invest a substantial amount of money into any of the upcoming Monogatari adaptations, it most likely will be Kizumonogatari. More money and time will, hopefully, translate into some of the most ridiculous action sequences we have ever seen.

Spend a lot of money to wow the audience in the theatre in the hopes that they are so enthralled by what they saw that they go out and buy all the Blu-rays for Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and all subsequent Monogatari adaptations.

Just like they took there time with the last episode of Madoka, I'm willing to wait as well.
GenesisOPX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
Hope they give them all at LEAST english subbed releases in NA, I for one wouldn't hesitate buying them all on bluray.
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
sburstall wrote:

With SHAFT it is quite easy to know the timeline, you just have to put LATE or DELAYED next to the project name Anime hyper

LOL...touche'
NeoFireHawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This is really bad news:
Quote:

adapt the six works that make up the "second season" of the Monogatari series that span from Nekomonogatari (White) to Koimonogatari as a 26-episode TV series.

To be more concise, they want to adapt these six works into a 26-episode series:

Nekomonogatari (White)
    Kabukimonogatari
    Hanamonogatari
    Otorimonogatari
    Onimonogatari
    Koimonogatari

To give you an idea, Bakemonogatari was 2 volumes long, and it required 15 episodes to adapt. And now Shaft wants to adapt 6 novels into 26 episodes? that's almost a disaster in the making. And if you consider that novels like Nekomonogatari (White) are one of the longest Nisio Isin has ever wrote, how is Shaft going to adapt all of that in a miser 26-episode TV series? This new "TV series" thing is going to be rushed as hell.
Now, if the episodes were 50 minutes long like Katanagatari, it would be another story, but I really doubt it, considering that Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari were all the standard 24-minutes long, sadly.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Christ, how many books are in this series?!

Actually....why do LN series tend to have so many novels anyway? American YA novels (the clostest comparison) rarely get past 3-4 books. Even Harry Potter was only 7, yet most LN series are 10-15 and some are MORE than that.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Christ, how many books are in this series?!

Actually....why do LN series tend to have so many novels anyway? American YA novels (the clostest comparison) rarely get past 3-4 books. Even Harry Potter was only 7, yet most LN series are 10-15 and some are MORE than that.
Light novels are typically around 200 pages (~50k words) in length, far shorter than the average Harry Potter novel. Also they're usually serialized in a magazine rather than released as a standalone book, same as what you see in manga.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, some, like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, are pretty thick.

...I do remember reading that competition is very low in LNs. You can spend a lot of time writing volumes without worrying about being dropped, usually. This does have the unfortunate side effect that LNs are on average, of lower quality than full-on novels.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Well, some, like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, are pretty thick.
"Typically", but Horizon's a bit tricky anyways since it's actually multiple books in one volume.

I don't know much about the competition, but it wouldn't surprise me. Writing a novel is hard, and writing it serially seems like it would be a nightmare.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Damn, so it won't debut this year Rolling Eyes

It's SHAFT, I'm not at all surprised they are experiencing delays. I am however pretty saddened, as this film is one that I have been looking forward to since Bakemonogatari in 2009.

Still, I've been waiting for Gothicmade since 2006/07, which puts things into perspective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2