• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Sebas needs to learna bit of showmanship from his peers. I mean Naberal Gamma let the one guy honestly believe he could win for a little while, and then used a teleport just to "show off" before killing him, and she straight up hates humans. Laughing Also, while the Entoma v Blue Rose fight was pretty cool, I'm a little disappointed that the trio v Entoma was "off screen". But definitely looking forward to the bit of theater that comes next.

For the off screen ending of the Entoma fight, I think that's because in the novels the blue rose managed to win because they essentially fought a battle of attrition, with them constantly chugging potions and such to recover and then eventually wearing down Entoma, there was no ultimate move or play they used to beat her, and that probably wouldn't have been all that impressive to see on screen, not to mention they had to speed things along to fit in all the scenes in one ep.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
not to mention they had to speed things along to fit in all the scenes in one ep.

I ALMOST used the whole thing as another opportunity to rant about the time wasted on Climb... almost. Wink
And I think it COULD have been done in an interesting way. Shalltear vs. Momonga was a war of attrition, but it was compelling. My only concern on watching it play out is that it seems like it would've been repetitive, since EvilEye is the only one that really has anything effective. I did appreciate that Entoma was pretty happy-go-lucky until EvilEye insulted the concept of her working as a maid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
well the difference between this and the shalltear/ainze fight is that ainze DID have a trump card (several technically as he killed her twice, she just had a auto rez item) and so that the attrition lead up to a final climax of the fight where he beat her using a super tier spell when she no longer had any more skills or spells to counter it, that and he needed to wait for its cooldown to finish since he was unable to speed that up, only its cast time.

In the rose vs entoma fight if they had shown the rest of it, it would have just been like 5 minutes of them spamming the same attacks, drinking potions and spamming more attacks until Entoma finally collapsed. Not really all that exciting. They would have had to divert from the novels if they wanted to have it end up in some exciting finish.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
In the rose vs entoma fight if they had shown the rest of it, it would have just been like 5 minutes of them spamming the same attacks, drinking potions and spamming more attacks until Entoma finally collapsed. Not really all that exciting. They would have had to divert from the novels if they wanted to have it end up in some exciting finish.

Issue for me is the anime actually adapted the LN's "skip" during Entoma's battle but without the LN's exposition of how the D&D party was handling the elite monster.
So we went from full on battle to Entoma being down,skipping over that it twas team work which downed the beast.

The reviewer missed that Sebas killed four of the Six Arms and Six Arms being the enforcers working for the Eight Fingers.

Am finding it funny that some think Ainz could plan his way out of a paper bag.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be clear, these action scenes are hardly animation masterpieces; in terms of visual quality, Overlord remains decidedly middle of the pack. Overlord's fights have always been more about dramatic imagery, shot selections, and staging than actual animation, and that remains the stylistic approach here. This may even work to the series' advantage concerning Sebas, as his fighting style involves brutally swift punches that take the heads off three of four Eight Fingers elites before they even know what hit them.

Completely agree with this

on another note. is anyone watching the dub version of this season? I am curious as to whether they are being loyal to the changes in the official Light novel translation, or if they are straight up translating it from the Japanese dub. I want to know if they kept some minor changes such as the Adamant team being localized as "the blue roses" instead of "Blue rose"

on yet another note. although it is kind of late to bring this up. Am I the only one who thinks that the Spell casting system of this series does not sound as broken English if you interpret it as command lines in a program. which could look much better in the subs if they added some more accurate punctuation. for instance insteat of " translocation damage" write "Translocation: Damage". (turn hp loss into mp loss) or instead of "Penetrate Maximize Magic! Crystal Dagger!" something like "Penetrate > Maximize Magic > Crystal Dagger" (to the following add Penetration buff, to the following spend more mp to amplify its power, cast Crystal Dagger).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

And that's why I only usually complain about fights being trimmed from source material if major elements are left out. In this case it was fairly clear that the fight was going to be a repetitive back-and-forth beyond a certain point, so I fully agree with the call to only show enough to establish what the pattern was going to be. The Ainz/Shalltear fight last season definitely wasn't that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I love how the reviewer keeps on overestimating Ainz, just like all the characters in the series do heh. Granted he has gotten very little screen time in this season so you don't really get a read on his mindset but the basic loop with him is that he'll come up with some simple idea or say some offhand comment, his subordinates will interpret that to be some subtle message with a deep meaning and then create their own plans based off of it while assuming they are following Ainze's master plan when in reality he has no idea what is going on.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are 13 episodes this season as there is quite a lot of stuff still yet to be shown in this arc and if they try and cram it all into a single episode there is going to be a LOT that is cut out or skimmed over. Given how faithful the entoma fight was (for the most part) I believe we have at least 2 more eps to go.

Oh, and for the reviewer it's blue rose, not black rose (was there a translation error maybe?)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I love how the reviewer keeps on overestimating Ainz, just like all the characters in the series do heh.

In what way have I ever overestimated him? Most of what you say is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Oh, and for the reviewer it's blue rose, not black rose (was there a translation error maybe?)

You know, I did get it right three other places in the review, so it was obviously a simple typo. Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it's been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
#844391 wrote:
I love how the reviewer keeps on overestimating Ainz, just like all the characters in the series do heh.

In what way have I ever overestimated him? Most of what you say is pretty obvious.

so I have to think that the “Gehenna” plan that Demiurge mentioned earlier was a mock battle between him and Ains that will get this Overlord into the good graces of the most powerful adventurers of the land. (This would also mean that the person Demiurge told the others that they weren't allowed to attack was Ains in his adventurer form.)

Don't want to spoil it for you, but relating to the part where you assume Ainz has any knowledge of the Gehenna plan. At least that's what is sounded like, I might have misunderstood.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's weird how shamelessly people will spoil things while saying "I don't want to spoil things for you."
seltzermx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Key wrote:
#844391 wrote:

so I have to think that the “Gehenna” plan that Demiurge mentioned earlier was a mock battle between him and Ains that will get this Overlord into the good graces of the most powerful adventurers of the land. (This would also mean that the person Demiurge told the others that they weren't allowed to attack was Ains in his adventurer form.)

Don't want to spoil it for you, but relating to the part where you assume Ainz has any knowledge of the Gehenna plan. At least that's what is sounded like, I might have misunderstood.

I'd also like to think that all of Nazarick knows Ainz' alter ego and would not attack (and these were guardians and Pleades, and they definitely know). Even if they didn't they'd probably feel his presence if they ever met face to face in the wild.

Ainz' brilliance continues to astound it seems. Sasuga Ainz-sama.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I meant I didn't want to spoil the details, I thought there were enough hints about the Gehenna plan to show that it was demiurges plan and not Ainze's.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you only wanted to spoil broadly. That was thoughtful.

As a general rule, already knowing something makes it impossible for you to judge what is or isn't obvious to those who don't. You're able to use backwards reasoning to identify clues and hints whose full significance will only be clear in retrospect. And the fact that you already know means you'll never speculate incorrectly, which every one else knows. That means that, if you're familiar with the source, you can not contribute to a discussion of what's coming up in any way without it being a spoiler. Sorry. Maybe use spoiler tags if you want to have that discussion?
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
This anime is clearly pacing the source material well. I would have to assume season three at this point is green lit due to popularity of the light novels?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Oh, you only wanted to spoil broadly. That was thoughtful.

As a general rule, already knowing something makes it impossible for you to judge what is or isn't obvious to those who don't. You're able to use backwards reasoning to identify clues and hints whose full significance will only be clear in retrospect. And the fact that you already know means you'll never speculate incorrectly, which every one else knows. That means that, if you're familiar with the source, you can not contribute to a discussion of what's coming up in any way without it being a spoiler. Sorry. Maybe use spoiler tags if you want to have that discussion?

I reported one of his posts yesterday for revealing source material information without spoiler tags. No action has been taken so far, so I don't know if that means no action will ever be taken, or if means a mod hasn't had a chance to look into it yet. Man, I can't tell you how tired I am of trying to fight this never ending, "could you please use spoiler tags when conveying source material information" battle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15