• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I have a little bit better pictures for Fullmetal Alchemist (if that's okay):

Picture one

Picture two
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
What I'd like to vote for....
Elrics vs the Homonculi / Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

I never got around to watching Brotherhood but I appreciate the basic conflict of the first, even if it does lack the main villain of the second, presumably. BUt It wopuld seem silly to vote for both versions as separate matches.

and I think you guys are missing the point of the one picture. It has to be one image, whether you take two pictures and paste them side by side or a photshoped pic of two, and it has to be a jpg. ... like so...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/fmahomunc.jpg/

although I didn't put much work in that, and it may be a bit big and may even need to be hosted somewhere else than my free Imageshack page, plus that pic doesn't include "Father"... but that's the idea....

onto the rest....

VOTING FOR:
Goku vs. Vegeta
Iga Tsubagakure vs. Kouga Manjidani ninja clans
(it just slipped my mind that they were ther the first time I voted)
Takuto vs Sugata (I wasn't going to, because they are weak, but I'm going to negate votes against just because I think they technically qualify- they are the counterpoint between the Takuto's dad and eyepatch, who let their rivalry tear them apart, but it's still there-they both want the same thing and their friendship and common enemy won't change that)
Digidestined vs Myotismon
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou
San v Lady Eboshi
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara
Kyoko Mogami vs. Sho Fuwa
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable
Mink vs. Veena
Kamina/Simon vs Viral
Triela and Pinocchio
Humans Vs. Shiki
Akito Hayama vs. Naozumi Kamura
Yang Wen-li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm
Makoto Mizuhara vs Katsuhiko Jinnai,
Nabuca and Shu
Kai Ichinose vs. Shuhei Amamiya
Inuyasha vs. Koga
Team Inuyasha vs Naraku

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
OK, so what I did was to slightly redo the FMA write up and change it so that it would work for the whole franchise (in any case, although there are some alterations in the characters, the general idea of Elrics vs Homonculi remains the same). I also used Spastic Minnow's picture (*thanks!). It lacks the new Homonculi, but perhaps most people would have seen FMA1 only anyways.

I don't know how well it will work later on as it is pretty much two different plots, but splitting it into two separate nominations might not work either.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Togame vs. Hitei Katanagatari pic
Type of Conflict: competitive rivalry
What It's All About: Both girls compete with each other because they want to gather the Twelve Deviant Blades created by Shikizaki Kiki. Hitei constantly schemes against Togame in hope of gaining the upper hand in their rivalry.
Why They Should Win: The clash between these two is a source of some funny moments and their rivalry eventually leads to a dramatic conclusion.

Voting for:
Inuyasha vs. Koga
Team Inuyasha vs Naraku
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Akito Hayama vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha
Yang Wen-li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Nabuca and Shu, Now and Then Here and There
Kai Ichinose vs. Shuhei Amamiya, Piano Forest
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Nominating
Nanoha Takamichi vs. Vita, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's pic
Type of Conflict: Opposing Magical Girls
What It's All About: As part of an effort to restore the power of the Book of Darkness for the benefit of her master, Vita attacks Nanoha and attempts to steal her magical energy, severely injuring the Nanoha and breaking her weapon. After Nanoha recovers, she sets out to stop Vita (and the other members of the Wolkenritter) before they can complete the Book.
Why They Should Win: Nanoha and Vita are the most emotional members of their respective teams, and as such, their clashes are very intense. Likewise, both girls are immensely dedicated to their objectives, and while it's unexceptional to say they're more concerned about protecting their friends than themselves, Nanoha and Vita can be dramatically more reckless with their own safety than most during battle.

Fate T. Harlown vs. Signum, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's pic
Type of Conflict: Opposing Magical Girls
What It's All About: Fate arrives to protect Nanoha from Vita, but is in turn challenged by Signum. In the ensuing fight, the two recognize each others' skill and formally introduce themselves. For the duration of the conflict between over the Book of Darkness, the two only fight one on one.
Why They Should Win: Like the Nanoha and Vita conflict, these are two very similar characters on opposing sides that cannot compromise. Fate and Signum's rivalry, however, is more structured around honor and mutual respect than hotbloodness. At one point, when a masked figure ambushes Fate in the middle of a duel between the two allowing Signum to take Fate's magical energy for the Book of Darkness, Signum apologizes to Fate's familiar when she arrives to aid the wounded Fate.

Supporting
Shinku vs Suigentou, Rozen Maiden
Togame vs Princess Hitei, Katanagatari - although it could use a better write up

I've got a write-up for Kenji Harima vs Harukia Hanai (School Rumble) ready, I just need to get a picture for it, or if someone else already has a good one, pm me or something and I'll get it up ASAP.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha pic
Type of Conflict: Familial Rivalry
What It's About: Inuyasha is the half-demon half-brother of the noble and arrogant full demon Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru has always looked down on Inuyasha as inferior and detests his impure blood, which irks Inuyasha to no small degree and leads to several harsh encounters - even fights - between the two. They especially battle for control over their father's heirloom sword, Tetsusaiga. Even when faced with a common enemy, they don't work together, although they might at least stop fighting each other.
Why They Should Win: This is one of anime's greatest sibling rivalries, one that first appears very early in the series and recurs periodically throughout the series' run.

Still have a few more nominations to go (including Sheryl and Ranka from Macross Frontier!), but those will have to wait. . . it's been a long and busy weekend. Candidate list will be updated shortly after posting this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Humans vs. Machines The Animatrix pic
Key Members for Humans: Trinity, Neo, Thadeus, Jue, Kid, Cis
Type of Conflict: survival, enemies
What it's All About: Humans created machines, but when the machines became sentient and self-aware, humans repressed them. The machines then retaliated in kind, killing the majority of humans and enslaving the survivors in a virtual reality called The Matrix. With the sun permanently blocked, the only source of power strong and abundant enough to support the machines is using humans as batteries.
Why they Should Win: This is a long bloody war between two races that couldn't be at peace even if they wanted to be. In these stories the machines are not portrayed completely as oppressors either, as it shows the history behind how the war began.

Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru Inuyasha pic
Type of Conflict: family feud, power struggle
What it's all About: Sesshomaru is Inuyasha's older demon half-brother, but never liked him because Inuyasha is only half demon. What really sets off Sesshomaru's hatred for Inuyasha though is when their father dies and leaves Inuyasha the incredibly powerful Tessaiga, while Sesshomaru receives the Tenseiga, a sword that doesn't even cut. While trying to steal the Tessaiga the two brothers battle and Inuyasha ends up cutting off Sesshomaru's left arm, further shaming him.
Why they Should Win: Two brothers clashing with opposite personalities. Sesshomaru is refined and values his pride as a demon and as a warrior above anything else, and Inuyasha is the blunt insensitive hothead who Sesshomaru views as the shame of the family. Their relationship adds another dimension to the series that wouldn't exist otherwise, and their fights add a whole new level to the idea of 'brotherly rivalry'.

Well, dang. Looks like you beat me to it Key Anime hyper. Lol, we even chose the same pics.

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Humans v Machines, The Animatrix.

Tris8, neither of your pics really gives a feeling for the conflict. May I suggest this one. Pic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Chika Akatsuki vs Shito Tachibana, Zombie-Loan pic
Type of Conflict: Unwilling Partners
What It's All About: Chika and Shito are two teenage boys who were killed in a bus accident and brought back to life as zombies by making a deal with a loan office called Zombie Loan. In return, the two boys have to hunt down zombies for the office to pay off their debt. While the two boys are different in personality and quite often can't stand one another, they have no choice but to work together as their right hands are attached to the arm of the other as part of their deal with Zombie Loan and attaching their real hands allows them to summon up weapons to slay zombies and send their souls to the afterlife.
Why They Should Win: Chika and Shito's uneasy relationship is a classic example of two characters forced to work together for a common goal despite loathing one another. The two tend to annoy and fight with one another at points throughout Zombie-Loan adding to both its humorous and serious moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Voting For
Inuyasha v. Seshoumaru, Inuyasha
Fate Harlaown v. Signum, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's

Not going to vote for Nanoha Takamachi v. Vita, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's because this one came off more as a case of pair the spares than a case of rivalry--after you have the chivalrous Fate v. Signum matchup and the Arf v. Zafira familiar matchup. Their personalities are neither thematically matched nor thematically opposed. And while Fate v. Signum had an air of relishing in facing a worthy opponent, Vita saw Nanoha has a nuisance that she had to deal with from time to time.

If you crave more Nanoha, I propose a better alternative.

Nominating
Signum v. Zest, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS pic
Type of Conflict: knight and squire rivalry
What It's All About: Signum and Reinforce are employees of the Time-Space Administration Bureau, in charge of maintaining order throughout Mild-Childa's magical hegemony. Zest and Agito are minions of a mad scientist seeking to overthrow the TSAB's world order. When Signum and Zest clashed, she found an equal in Zest, but their conflict could not be settled in their first battle. These two would seek each other out and fight for their side throughout the series.
Why They Should Win: Signum and Zest are both honorable knights fighting for their sides. She is a practitioner of the ancient Belkar art of magic fencing, while he is a practitioner of the modern variant. These two skilled warriors recognized each others' prowess during their first encounter and would seek each other out with the TSAB and the mad scientist clashed. The fights between these two are the highlights of the general madness that results from the clashes of the law enforcement agency and the criminal enterprise, rising above the mass of drones and the large cast with the duration, style, and tenacity of their fights.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Voting for:

Humans v Machines, The Animatrix.

Tris8, neither of your pics really gives a feeling for the conflict. May I suggest this one. Pic
Thanks! that pic is a whole lot better =)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae - Saki - pic
Type of Conflict: Mah-jong oppenents
What It's All About: The strongest players during the first, and so far only, season of Saki. Saki can read her opponents expertly and has almost uncanny luck in mah-jong, Koromo "drowns" her opponents in despair by first drawing out a game and stopping the other players from going out and then by pulling off a rare and difficult hand that demoralizes them. Personally they'd like to be friends but in competition they refuse to relent to each other. They intimidate and frustrate each other in hand and in the end may both learn how to enjoy the game again.

Why They Should Win: the greatest of great examples in the show of matches that prove that opponents in a high tension game need not hate each other out of the game, even when they have to strongly defeat the other in play.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Nanoha Takamichi vs. Vita, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's

Fate T. Harlown vs. Signum, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's

Shinku vs Suigentou, Rozen Maiden

Saki Miyanaga vs. Koromo Amae, Saki
And I just watched this one, too! I can't believe I missed this one. Embarassed

To help, here's a pic of Saki and Koromo together (top row).
Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll post a couple of their "battle shots" next to each other. But I can't do it now... this pairing also has a similar problem, no picture of them together, as one side does everything covertly.

Nominating:

Catians vs. Dogisians - Asobi ni iku yo! - pic (really shows the passion of each as they ready for battle)
Type of Conflict: Generational intergalactic enemies; Competing for contact with Earth
What It's All About: Unknown to galactic authorities who have forbade them to interfere on developing planets, Jens, a Dogisian, has been on Earth for awhile already, supplying governments with advanced weaponry and technology in order to set up trade relationships and to use the planets resources and create an outpost for their planet. The arrival of Elis, a Catian on a scouting mission complicates things. If their generational intergalactic enemies know of their plans and informs the galactic authorities of their presence then their plans are ruined. Jens then uses her contacts to kill Elis if she can and when that fails, destroy the Catian ship that arrives shortly after and the members of Elis' "embassy." As Jens stays in hiding, The Catians can only foil their plans and use a wait and see approach with the Dogisians on Earth.

Why They Should Win: First of all, Dogs and Cats, it's the eternal struggle! Secondly, although this is a mostly a comedy series it uses some very interesting hard sci-fi ideas, such as this core stuggle which involves no aggressive alien invasion but instead follows the goals of trade exploitation vs. cultural exchange as the main ideological conflict between these two species. The Dogs come to make money and maybe slowly take over a world, the Catians "come to play" (a loose translation of the series title).

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 20