• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
There's something whimsically nostalgic about the phrase spoiler[magnificent bastard.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
This is not a good series to watch just as one wakes up... I coudn't process this show in its full glory. I'll rewatch it later.

I like the conclusion of this arc. spoiler[Koyomi takes yet another beating, gets scolded by his girlfriend, and saves one more lost soul; only this time he owes Senjougahara for her help and his resquie. I wonder if this is going to become a tradition for Koyomi to meet newly saved girl at his doorsteps the next day.]

It also seems that everyone has some sort of aftereffect. Koyomi - regeneration, Mayoi - freedom in afterlife and Suruga - super strong arm. I wonder what Senjougahara was left with.

On a side note: Bakemonogatari is now in top 10 at #7. I wonder how high can it get and I expect it to drop to ~20 later on. I remember Haruhi stayed at #2 for quite a while, she is at #22 now.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
I thought that spoiler[The one sided battle was just perfectly done from the different colors used as the blood to the background it self. Just perfect, it looked great.]

Any one see that they got the opening out for the last episode? It was a neat opening it was nice to have it for the last episode in the ark
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was good, some of the action scenes were so good that I had to stop the video on my laptop a few times so that I could make sure it was running fast enough to catch it. I guess there is not much way to put it but say it was some beautiful artwork, the usual interesting style and some enjoyable characters.

The backstory of Suruga and the idea that spoiler[the paw didn't twist wishes but instead just granted the original intent] was an interesting side to it. There was also an intesting moment after the "comercial" that I was not sure what was going on, and what was hapening with, was it Shinbou, kind of a big scene change. And I was quite happy with the conclusion, looks like the next one is about a snake.

I also get quite entertained by the previews they have at the end of the episodes, which I probably should have mentioned earlier, and how each one has something wrong. I kind of have the feeling that saying it is a quiz at each one is kind of like a reference to Moon Phase where Hazuki would have a quiz to "Onii chan" instead we have Araragi's sisters doing it. We have had such things wrong as mixing up words, saying the answer first etc.

I have also recently downloaded the ED song, it is quite a nice song, I think it is suposed to convey the kinder side of Senjogahara.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I have to say that I want to see Araragi in his vampire period more than ever Cool Such angelic mehness feels quite off without (previous) decent experience in badassry, I think.

Also, am kind of relieved they resolved the issue by bringing simple clarity in the respective relationships. As much as the whole arc was shamelessly Freudian, death and chopping off limbs for real would have been a letdown. I really liked the exploration of desires true nature, and although Suruga Monkey follows closely the Mayoi's formula of presentation, I find this one to be far more mature and insightful.

Truth to be told, I don't think Kanbaru would be "eternally" happy being by Hitagi's side alone, but since we have a very nice opening of Kanbaru's theme, perhaps she'll be able to move on in the future. Anyway, the longest job unfinished is the one that has been never started, right?

Okay, the next is the cutie with the hat.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I simply love Bakemonogatari (I know I say this in every post, sorry) and after pondering for a little and reading about the series I cooked up this "attempt at insight". This series is not just weird for the sake of being weird, unlike Petite Cossette or Boogiepop Phantom (whats up with tunnel vision?). All stories are interconnected(at least for Koyomi & Hitagi) and well presented. Visual comparisons can be made too: Senjougahara's use of stationary resembles crab princers, Mayoi's backpack resebles snail's shell, Suruga's monkey paw - monkey's agility and strenght. We also have mysterious Tsubasa who I fully expect to share something, perhaps behaviour, with a cat. Recall her and Koyomi's chat about Hitagi. Tsubasa was walking alone at night in industrial area! Thought I have no idea what Nadeko relation to a snake is going to be.

I noticed that some fans have drawn a parallel with Clannad or even called Bakemonogatari as Anti-Clannad. While presentation and characters are vastly different - or even direct opposite: Nagisa-Hitagi, Fuuko-Mayoi, Koyomi-Tsubasa, Kyou-Suruga(last one is a match!) - there are quite a few similarities. Remember how in Clannad Tomoya saved all girls from their family issues filled with misery and regret. Tomoya saved others while he himself needed as much help as any other girl. Is this true in Bakemonogatari? Well lets see. So far Koyomi helped three girls, each with a problem where only Suruga's Monkey is not family related(in Clannad only one story wasn't family related: Sagare Misae's story), and I forsee Nadeko having some family issue as well. Tsubasa obviously has some issue with her family otherwise she woudn't be able to see Mayoi, which leads to her "I know what I know" catch phrase that can be interpreted as "I know a lot" or even "too much". Recall her warning to Koyomi about digging the past, that could be the core of her issue - learning something she was better off not knowing. And finally Koyomi himself. Koyomi is not an idiot, however he doesn't deny Senjougahara's and others' offences; Senjougahara also took full lead over him at the moment. She figured out possibilities for their future and already suggests what they can do and where they are going. That combined with no plans for future makes Koyomi apathetic = he got a problem. The more Koyomi helps others the more it feels like an escape from his own problem, just like Tomoya did. The incest talk in third episode might be related to it, then add Mayoi to the picture and family related issue becomes apparent.

Mike On Top wrote:
...perhaps she'll be able to move on in the future.

It's funny you mentioned "moving on" Mike. "Moving on" with one's life seems to be an ongoing theme for Bakemonogatari. Confused teenagers that need to learn to grow up - the lesson(?). Senjougahara chose to forget the painful incident and therefore could not move on losing her omoi, which could mean emotions, feelings, heavy (adj. as weight). Mayoi could not move on to afterlife since she did not see her mother. Suruga wanted to become lover/close friend with Hitagi, but that didn't go well and she became a stranger. Suruga couldn't move on and tried to reverse her mistake and get back to friends or more. We can see more and more that Koyomi has a problem, and then there is Tsubasa.

Which leads to my last speculation about how this whole mess is going to end. We know that Tsubasa is our "final boss". Koyomi and Tsubasa both can see Mayoi, both have family problems which makes me think that last arc, should be 4 episodes long epic tale, is going to solve more than one problem. Koyomi doesn't need his arc as this entire series is his arc(yes, just like Tomoya in Clannad).

PS: If you haven't seen Clannad yet... What are you waiting for!?!?!1

About episode 8 and those before. I like how SHAFT manages their budget. They know that action is a highlight of the series. When I saw numerious short-cuts in ep. 8 I expected something big later in the episode. It was big indeed. Onscreen text and real-life imagery saves budget, which allows them to bring every battle to life with fluid sharp animation. Director knows his money thats for sure.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
The series continues to impress (and deeply disturb). Very Happy

I'm liking the execution of the "shades of grey" in this story arc. The truth is somewhere in between Araragi's idealism and Meme's "harsh reality." Same goes for the spoiler["promise"] that Araragi and Hitagi made at the end of Mayoi Snail. If I read/remember it right, Araragi technically didn't violate the promise, but by spoiler[withholding information and trying to save everyone on his own, it was just as bad], though spoiler[getting spun around by *unmentionable* Razz somehow helped him get to the best possible result for Kanbaru].

If Kanbaru's spoiler[retained the Left Forearm of Doom(tm)] it's scary to think of the "residual powers" Hitagi still might have. Laughing I wonder, does Kanbaru spoiler[keep her super-speed too? Sounds like there's a chance that wasn't actually a wish that the rainy devil granted.]
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
On a side note: Bakemonogatari is now in top 10 at #7. I wonder how high can it get and I expect it to drop to ~20 later on. I remember Haruhi stayed at #2 for quite a while, she is at #22 now.

I've read the 3rd chapter of Tsubasa Cat (got it translated for me by someone) which should also be the final tv episode in #12. I think it will be a better episode by far than any of the first 8. If Bake drops out of the top 10 it's criminal!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
It also seems that everyone has some sort of aftereffect. Koyomi - regeneration, Mayoi - freedom in afterlife and Suruga - super strong arm. I wonder what Senjougahara was left with.

A boyfriend.

My thoughts on the episode: Wow, that's got to be spoiler[the bloodiest love-triangle since School Days. Seriously, Suruga was swinging him around by his intestines!] And I love how Senjougahara is just so calm about the whole thing. Plus, after calling out Koyomi on lying and pointing out how they specifically promised not to lie to each other about weird stuff after Mayoi, she apparently didn't punish him.

This episode zoomed by, especially the first half. I thought I'd only been watching for about three minutes or so when the "commercial" hit.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
If Bake drops out of the top 10 it's criminal!

Agreed, this is probably the most engaging anime I've seen... ever. That's quite a call too. The characters are brilliant, and there's plenty of hilarity but also a dark undertone to the whole thing. Add to that the spectacular artwork and Senjougahara (the best female character in any tv show, anime, movie or anything ever) and you have pretty much got the perfect anime in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Hentai_JP wrote:

I've read the 3rd chapter of Tsubasa Cat (got it translated for me by someone) which should also be the final tv episode in #12. I think it will be a better episode by far than any of the first 8. If Bake drops out of the top 10 it's criminal!

I just checked the encyclopedia page on this site of Bakemonogatari and it said that it is slated for 15 episodes in number of episodes part and 13 in the episode titles part.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
The Interwebs are saying 12 TV episodes, 3 of those "web streaming" episodes. Or something like that.

"Entertaining" is one of the best words I can use to sum up this show right now. And you don't have to wait 10-20 episodes or more for the story to move forward in a meaningful way. That it's a horror drama comedy romance is icing on the cake.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Hentai_JP wrote:

I just checked the encyclopedia page on this site of Bakemonogatari and it said that it is slated for 15 episodes in number of episodes part and 13 in the episode titles part.

It's going to be 15 episodes, 12 episodes for the tv run and than the final 3 episodes streamed online. Shinbo/SHAFT announced this before the series aired, they felt they couldn't do Bakemonogatari justice with just 12 episodes. Mayoi Snail got an extra episode, Suraga Monkey got an extra episode and Tsubasa Cat was increased from 3 episodes to 5 episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's going to be 15 episodes, 12 episodes for the tv run and than the final 3 episodes streamed online. Shinbo/SHAFT announced this before the series aired, they felt they couldn't do Bakemonogatari justice with just 12 episodes. Mayoi Snail got an extra episode, Suraga Monkey got an extra episode and Tsubasa Cat was increased from 3 episodes to 5 episodes.

Well that's four new episodes. Since there is only room for three, which previously-scheduled episode got the chop?

On another note, I only turn up in this thread each week when the sub is out. Which means the index and thread title doesn't get updated as soon as the raw is out. So, my point is that if you are the first to post your thoughts about a new episode, just drop me a quick PM and I'll update the title and index as soon as possible. That way people won't (for example) stumble into a thread thinking that it is talking about episode seven and yet episode eight is out and being discussed.

I don't have much to say about the episode itself, other than it was a great watch and did not disappoint.

But first, a point of discontent. I really wish they would stick to the "show, don't tell" method of storytelling. Going on for several minutes in the beginning probably wasn't the best way they could have gotten that information across. Sure, it was important stuff, and this is a naturally "talky" show, but having the characters talking like that sort of a cheap and dirty way of doing things.

Poor Araragi, even when he's trying to help he only ends up doing things the hard way. He should accept that he's got one heck of a great girlfriend and never try and leave her. After all, if she can convince a demon that she has the power to kill the super-powerful body it is inhabiting, then she sure isn't someone to cross. Especially when she talks so openly about killing him if he ever breaks up with her. Nope, his best - rather, only - option is to be content with his beautiful, intelligent, athletic and frighteningly devoted girlfriend.

Does Araragi still suffer from being too heavy? They haven't mentioned that since episode two.

How does having some of his blood drained make him stronger? That confuses me.

One more thing. If this show comes out on DVD (and it had bloody well better), how do you think the quick-fire wall of texts that are seen near the start of each episode should be handled? Made into extras, and turned into still frames? Slowed down to give the audience more time? Simply left as is? (Keep in mind that pausing and rewinding on a DVD is much harder than on a computer). I'm curious to know what you guys and gals think.

As usual I write more than I intend.

Anyway, it will be a long wait for the next episode, I can tell you.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

How does having some of his blood drained make him stronger? That confuses me.

It confuses me, too, moreover it was said that Araragi actually still needs drinking blood ... on a month bases Anime hyper.

BUT, since I had a gorgeous male vampire for a while as avatar, I'll just happily assume that in exchange for the blood sucked, Araragi might have received some power in return. If you have watched Karin, you'd understand the model (and chuckle). (Shinobu looks like a battle type, judging from her katana and the first opening, hence, Araragi got supernatural strength for fighting "oddities").

I don't believe Nishio Ishin would reside to the boringly popular, one-sided blood drainage, given the way the plot and the characters in Bakemonogatari unfold.

Hentai_JP, I have no choice but reply you later. Damn lot work to do right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 26