• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Tokidoki Bosotto Russia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san (Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian)

Caitlin Moore wrote:
Now, the most lovingly-animated scene is when she tells Kuze to put her knee sock on her, which leads to him getting a close look at her underwear...

Thank you Truck-kun for making this scene possible. Smile

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...to tenderly animating every wiggle of her toes...

Shades of Akebi-chan no Sailor Fuku (Akebi's Sailor Uniform) with the foot views. Well, Takeshi Osame who did key animation for "Akebi" is the animation director for "Alya" so maybe not a coincidence.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Even the blatant fanservice with Masachika putting on Alya's sock worked for me since they had the wherewithal to get somebody clearly into feet to animate it.

See above about Takeshi Osame.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
I doubt this will have much appeal for anyone who isn't inoculated to anime rom-com [expletive for male bovine excrement deleted to comply with 1.b. of Teh Rules (sic)].

Masachika's internal screeching is a bit annoying, but far, far from the worst we get in anime rom-coms. Otherwise, nothing yet really cringe-worthy.

Jabootu wrote:
...I'd just like a few titles I enjoy as much as I did, oh, Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy or Gushing Over Magical Girls or Aharen-San or Wasteful Days of High School Girls.

LIZARDOON! Someone else actually likes Joshi Kōsei no Mudazukai (Wasteful Days of High School Girls) - I rated it Very Good.

Last edited by Piglet the Grate on Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
#MrMiscellaneous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:57 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
They don't have to be masterworks, I'd just like a few titles I enjoy as much as I did, oh, Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy or Gushing Over Magical Girls or Aharen-San or Wasteful Days of High School Girls.

Off topic, but putting Gushing over Magical Girls next to Aharen-san caught me off guard. I love both shows, it's just funny how both shows are so dissimilar to each other. It's giving me whiplash.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:51 am Reply with quote
A great return for Oshi no Ko. Of course it can't hold up to the movie length premier of the first season, but it was still quite good. The intro song isn't bad, but it's the visuals that make it great. Visuals were great throughout the rest of the episode too.
I'm surprised that Kana can do this while being an idol. I figured she being doing her idol thing with the rest of the trio this season, while Akane and Aqua do their thing. Probably better that the groups aren't being kept apart though, at least for entertainment value Laughing

Cryten wrote:
For my wife has no emotions, I kinda wonder about the implications that this robot makes itself available and appealing to a new master as soon as it is sold second hand. That makes it feel far more artificial, like it does this for who ever possesses it. IE that its just an illusion that its personally interested in the protagonist or cares about him. Its just doing its job as an artificial entity. Just like the Ego trap of the virtual girlfriend in Blade Runner 2, what it does for someone it does for anyone.

Then again, the automatically providing service, care and love from an instant girlfriend has been a thing in anime in forever. Their care really comes cheaply and for anyone doesnt it?

I would presume it's reset like any modern device. Rather than acting a certain way for whoever owns it, it just acts the same way for everyone because no matter how many owners it has, it's always just the only owner it has or has ever had.
I would imagine the MC doesn't consider how she was in the past. We don't know how advanced her AI is, but, at least as presented in the first episode, she seems to just be responding to the MC's desires and he's projecting all the love and care he feels from her.

Though it would be interesting if they don't reset them and these robots (androids?) can grow based on past "relationships".
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
The Ossan Newbie Adventurer is as mid as they come, and I'll agree 100% that there was nothing of interest in that whole premier EXCEPT the kid who preformed a 3rd level spell so bad that I thought people would laugh at him, but they applauded. Now that's an interesting magic system! Geezer Sage (as I will now refer to the protagonist) has no magical ability, but that apparently doesn't mean he can't do magic, it just means his potential to master high level spells doesn't exist. Apparently he can do as much as he wants with the lowest level spells of each element. That is kind of an interesting take. Aside from that, this show was the definition of mid anime with nothing going on. BUT, that said I'd much rather watch a show about an overpowered person who came by it through hard work, than something like Redo of Healer or Berserker of Gluttony, which have gimmicks so absurd they make the protagonists op for no reason at all. I eat therefore I am. I can heal, therefore I can touch you and read your mind and instantly use all of your abilities... right, makes sense (eye roll)... I'll stick around to support the bad humor, bad animation, and bad fanservice of a show like this over one of those shows with an unreasonable gimmick any day (and by support, I mean watch on Crunchyroll, I'm not actually going to buy this one on blu ray)!

Oshi no Ko was great (the blu ray preorder for that one came just in time for me to binge the first season before the second season released, thank you Sentai!).

Suicide Squad was fun but I'm not really invested there. I'll stick around, but I don't know that I'll be adding it to my collection after.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:09 am Reply with quote
Huh, was not expecting to enjoy the Alya romcom as much as I did. It's no Kaguya-sama, but I'll definitely be tuning in for at least a few more episodes. The language gimmick works shockingly well, and at least to non-native (and not-even-a-student) ears the Russian sounded .. decent? Or, at least, distinctive and not garbled. I wonder if that's the impression non-native English speakers get of most JP VA's English.

The only real critical thought I had during it was: what's up with the childhood friend trope? Maybe I'm just odd, but the idea that meeting a friend at ages 4-7 (?) was such a pivotal event that I'd still be wistfully looking back on it some ~10 years apart is kind've alien to me. I think I was entirely too forgetful and whimsical at that young an age to be so intensely attached to a relationship that didn't itself grow up with me.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:27 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Quote:
LIZARDOON! Someone else actually likes Joshi Kōsei no Mudazukai (Wasteful Days of High School Girls) - I rated it Very Good.

I love that show. Of course, humor more than anything else is extremely subjective. But man, that show is perfect to me. That running joke in the first episode with Baka relaying an endless stream of romantic fantasies is one of my all-time favorite anime jokes.

#MrMiscellaneous opined:

Quote:
Off topic, but [Jabootu] putting Gushing over Magical Girls next to Aharen-san caught me off guard. I love both shows, it's just funny how both shows are so dissimilar to each other. It's giving me whiplash.

I contain multitudes.

Or else I'm really fat. Might be the latter.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Well now, color me surprised. The title I Parry Everything makes you expect nothing special/good and the first episode was no masterpiece but comparing it to Ossan Newbie Adventurer which has quite a few similarities to it shows how much difference a bump in quality can make.

Yes, the mc does not know how strong he is, but for once it makes sense for him to have warped sensibilities due to his upbringing (or rather the lack of). The mc is strong by using his skill but that skill is all he has and its effectiveness was not gifted to him, it was forged over the course of many years filled with effort.

Add to that the mc is likeable, the presentation is charming and people such as the intructors being reasonable and I am rather interested in seeing more.
thecritter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed Gimai Siekatsu [Days with my stepsister]. I like slow, low-key, interpersonal exploratory stuff. But I have to admit that if this was any more low-key, it'd be subsonic. Let's see if things crank up any more in the second episode.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen I Parry Everything yet, but those reviewers scores tho. Talk about being unanimous.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Days with my stepsister did indeed start off very slow and subdued, I was never bored during the first episode though. It set up the situation rather well and provided some basics as to how the family members tick. Hard to mention anything more than that.

I am rather glad that I watched the first episode of Failure Frame after the premiere of I Parry Everything. I parry showed that you can have a lot of cliches, a shitty title and make it work well enough to seduce the viewer to want to see more. Failure Frame on the other hand just feels creatively bankrupt with not an ounce of charm and the animation is nothing to write home about either.
Puchu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
No attack, only parry - I'm apparently doomed to go "this is the LN they decided to adapt into an anime?" at least twice per season this year. Not because they're necessarily bad, just because I didn't think they were popular enough, or suited for the medium (or because making a 12 episode anime of something that's literally 300+ chapters is honestly pretty dumb, kinda like making LotR into a tiktok). Anyway, it's a decent enough series, and it's nice to have an overpowered protagonist with actual flaws (being able to parry incoming attacks perfectly doesn't matter much if you can't really attack in return, after all) so the fights have some real tension and stakes going on. Still, I quit the novels halfway because it got a bit stale, so this'll mostly be an "eh, if I have time" kinda show.

High school drama gays - Desperately waiting for the trend of stupid glowing geometrical shapes floating everywhere to end, it's so cheesy. Otherwise, it seems like a cute enough show. I hope Hisashi dumps the boyfriend asap, though, I'm getting sussy vibes. Iessive, considering he had zero screentime and was only mentioned like three times. Or maybe it's just because whenever a major character in a BL series is dating someone from the very start, they're trash, idk.
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked Twilight Out of Focus. It felt really grounded and it has the best production values of any BL I've seen. But I was frustrated/disappointed by the de rigueur spoiler[assault scene]. And I was bummed that Hisashi felt he had to promise spoiler[not to put his hands on Mao or develop romantic feelings for him]. I am looking forward to the days when these BL tropes are behind us. At least Mao doesn't have a homophobic bone in his body.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ramen Akaneko is cute, just as I thought it would be. It’s my first new show of the season and I will keep watching. Awww.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Red Cat Ramen is "streaming on SERVICE on DAY." Finally we have SERVICE, the much needed competitor to Crunchyroll! Wink
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Red Cat Ramen is "streaming on SERVICE on DAY." Finally we have SERVICE, the much needed competitor to Crunchyroll! Wink

Shocked Embarassed

Fixed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15