• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:38 am Reply with quote
I thought Unbreakable Bug was going to be a horror series, and in a way it is, but it's actually not. I think once again, Richard and I are on the same page about it. It's interesting in a macabre way, but I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm also left wondering why they chose "Crazy" for the English title rather than "Bug" which is the bulk of the theme song, visibly plastered all over the ED, and clearly spoken in English by the characters. Anyway, dunno if I'll keep watching. Probably will until better things debut later in the month and crowd it out.

As for Do It Yua Serufu, I kinda liked it, and it should totally be in my wheelhouse, but I dunno. Caitlin said, "The main thing is that there's a kind of naturalism to the characters so that they feel like tangible people rather than a grab bag of preset personality traits," but I found them to be exactly that: the clumsy but unflappable dreamer, her tsundere childhood friend, the shy girl she adopts, the sempai who patiently adopts her, and the chill sensei who hands out bandaids and useless head bandages. I guess I can't be Nick's friend either, since I feel bad for the terrified pig callously named Meat. Again, in a normal season, I'd probably still watch this for the projects alone, but I think I just won't have time for it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:56 am Reply with quote
No surprise that nobody in the forum is talking about Muv-Luv Alternative. On the trailer watch party a few weeks back, Jacki and Lynzee yeeted out of the discussion (perhaps wisely), leaving it to guest star Geoff to explain the franchise. And he did a good job covering the weird structure of the complicated releases, the ties to Rumbling Hearts, and the various timelines. But one thing that fans apparently never impressed on Geoff is why anyone actually likes this franchise, and why the VN was (until a few weeks ago) the all-time #1 on vndb.com.

And, obviously, the first season didn't do that either.

So here we are with season 2, and… it’s basically no worse and no better than before. There were a few shots with Takeru and Kasumi where I thought "hey, whoever storyboarded this actually cared", but that faded by the time we got to the reused clips from last season to remind viewers of the just-concluded coup d'état arc. It was somewhat interesting to hear the show use one of the VN's most iconic musical themes, "Fate", as the cadets received their diplomas, when it didn't use that last season for Sagiri's death like the VN does. Evan Call's original soundtrack for the anime has been fine, of course, if perhaps not as memorable as his score for Violet Evergarden, or especially his doom-drenched music backing the Muv-Luv prequel Schwarzesmarken.

Next week is probably where we hit the point where the source material takes off, but who knows if this adaptation will do anything with it, or who the show is even for at this point: newbies are unconvinced if not utterly lost, and existing fans are disappointed at the sanded-down character designs and the indifferent direction. With some very difficult thematic material coming up, that could be a real problem.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
existing fans are disappointed at the sanded-down character designs

You know, I actually think that the anime's character designs are an improvement over the VN's weird zigzaggy, cat ear hairs. I think the more toned-down, grounded designs fit the tone of Alternative a lot better.
myfairx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
Oh My god DIY…

Im a big sucker for SOL so DIY is ultimately on my watch list

But somehow my experience watching it does not align at all with ANN universal impression and praise. First of all it’s quite bland (design and animation wise), secondly there’s something about it that annoy me to death and reminds me somehow of Yaku Nara mug cup mo, and to some extent, Yama no susume ( I didn’t even finish both anime TBH) , I can’t pinpoint exactly what or why.

It’s not bad actually and gradually become more tolerable as the episodes concluded. The series also hinting jab towards near future reliance on automation and high tech consumerism, or perhaps I’m overanalysing ?

Maybe I’m underwhelmed by Yama no Susume previous prospect and just recently revisiting super hilarious comedy Bakuon!! .? But as always I’ll probably watch DIY anyway unless it truly become unbearable.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:45 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I liked the first episode of Eminence of Shadow, but that doesn't really tell me much about the show... it reminds me of the approach to humor of something like Overlord, which I grew to hate as it went from absurd to sociopathic. Am I going to be asked to laugh at a bunch of superpowered folks butchering a bunch of normal people who have no chance against them? It would be nice to know now so I can bail, but sadly, the first episode was not informative on this point.

All of Shadow Garden's victims are either nasty murderous raping bandits (ep1), or they are literal crazy devil worshipers. It's all over the top. They continually underestimate the MC, and they deserve their curb stomping every time.

There is some mook collateral damage, and in a few cases it goes too far when, say, Delta goes berserk and wipes out all of the hapless mooks before they can restrain her. It's all part of the black comedy.

Later arcs drift into a more greyish morality as the focus moves away from the MC in favor of world-building, which kills the comedy IMHO.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
myfairx wrote:
Oh My god DIY…

Im a big sucker for SOL so DIY is ultimately on my watch list

But somehow my experience watching it does not align at all with ANN universal impression and praise. First of all it’s quite bland (design and animation wise),

On the contrary, DiY has some of the best animation and designs this season, together with Yama no susume:
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1577760204774641667
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1577980484231041024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
Fall premieres aren't even done yet and the season is already way more stacked for me than usual. Definitely need to finish my couple in-progress backlog shows from Spring/Summer sooner rather than later or I'll never get back to them haha

New Stuff
Gundam Witch From Murcury: Haven't seen too many Gundam series (only Turn A and 0080: War in the Pocket), but this looks so up my alley on so many levels. Only caveat is that the production pipeline is rumored to have some issues coming up fast so I don't know if I want to wait a bit to see how that pans out or not.

DIY: SOL series can be hit or miss for me, especially when keeping up with it week to week, but this seems delightful and I love how it looks - the soft but expressive character designs, the more muted color palette, etc...

Raven in the Inner Palace: It can be difficult to scratch that genre itch (or I guess more accurately setting-itch) of stories set within the imperial palace court with anime. We've gotten a few like Story of Saiunkoku but usually my best bets are books/comics and Chinese live-action historical dramas. Intrigued by the mystery element and have high hopes for this one even if the production doesn't see particularly noteworthy (what else is new for shoujo).

Chainsaw Man: Not much to say, it looks like a ride

Bibliophile Princess: Can't tell yet if it's going to fall too far into the sugary sweet camp of fantasy shoujo that it bores me (think more Saint's Magic Power than Shirayuki), but I will absolutely give it a fair shake on account that we just don't get many decent shoujo adaptations overall.

Returning Stuff
MHA S6: The show has lost its luster a bit with S5, but not enough to scare me off yet. S6 having not only higher stakes, but a more focused, less insular story involving everyone from different groups interacting (similar to early S3 and 4) should be a step in the right direction.

Mob Psycho 100 III: It's Mob Psycho S3, to say I'm excited is an understatement. And to think I wasn't even that hot on S1, but S2 absolutely hooked me with the character drama from the first episode back.

Spy x Family pt 2: It's likely not going to be my AOTS given the competition and that comedy usually isn't my go-to genre with anime, but it's still a super cute show with a great production behind it. And adding a dog only makes it better. Not hard to keep up with at all.

Urusei Yatsura 2022: I'm so interested to not only see how this show pans out, but public reception to it. It's obviously a classic, and I do like the "retro but very polished" art style it has going for it. But the original series is steeped in so much original material outside of the manga, not to mention the films some of which I think US audiences are more familiar with. I'm just curious what this will bring to the table now.

Golden Kamuy S4: Still catching up on S2 & 3, but it's on the list when I do.

Probably Skipping:
Bleach TYBW: Just missed the Bleach train as a kid, and never hopped on as an adult.

To Your Eternity S2: Wasn't enough of a fan of this arc to revisit it animated (although it definitely has its moments). Ended up falling off the series shortly after which is a shame.

I'm the Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss: I'm just so tired of this "But I'm the Villainess" brand of shoujo isekai. While there's only a handful animated, it's everywhere on the publishing side and neither the lead character not the humor ever manages to grab me.

Sentient Sword Show: One-joke gimmick fantasy/isekai are rarely enough to keep me invested past one or two episodes (Sleepy Princess still is like, the only exception that comes to mind).

No Idea??:
Blue Lock: Look, I know nothing about the show besides ridiculous out of context panels. It could be hilarious or just really not for me. I have no clue haha
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
DIY was wonderfully delightful! I found the character designs to be quite adorable, especially Serufu, who I found to be instantly endearing, probably because she reminds me so much of Yui Hiraswa from K-On!, whom I've always had a fondness for. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Serufu and the other girls are going to create!
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
DIY is a good one. I expected something along the lines of Let's Make a Mug Too (not that I disliked that one, quite the contrary), and what I got instead is Manabi Straight - as in CGDCT in the future - with a bit of Eizouken vibes. Not to mention it's not a short, somehow I expected that with those vibes. Not that I mind.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
Bibliophile Princess episode 1 was so sweeeet and I’m excited to see where this goes! So pretty, too! And I love the soundtrack!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
All of Shadow Garden's victims are either nasty murderous raping bandits (ep1), or they are literal crazy devil worshipers. It's all over the top. They continually underestimate the MC, and they deserve their curb stomping every time.

There is some mook collateral damage, and in a few cases it goes too far when, say, Delta goes berserk and wipes out all of the hapless mooks before they can restrain her. It's all part of the black comedy.

Later arcs drift into a more greyish morality as the focus moves away from the MC in favor of world-building, which kills the comedy IMHO.
Whether they deserve it or not isn't really my issue with this kind of writing, so much as the idea that I'm supposed to think "they deserve it so yay to killing people!". I think I can bail, then. Thanks for the info.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Sentient Sword Show: One-joke gimmick fantasy/isekai are rarely enough to keep me invested past one or two episodes (Sleepy Princess still is like, the only exception that comes to mind).

Reincarnated as a Sword is not all that really out there. Sentient magical swords have been the stuff of fantasy novels for a long time.

But, Reincarnated as a Sword is not a one-joke gimmick fantasy story. It might seem like that from the first episode, but it is more of a buddy movie between Teacher and Fran. It is their interactions and desires that make the story.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
No surprise that nobody in the forum is talking about Muv-Luv Alternative. On the trailer watch party a few weeks back, Jacki and Lynzee yeeted out of the discussion (perhaps wisely), leaving it to guest star Geoff to explain the franchise. And he did a good job covering the weird structure of the complicated releases, the ties to Rumbling Hearts, and the various timelines. But one thing that fans apparently never impressed on Geoff is why anyone actually likes this franchise, and why the VN was (until a few weeks ago) the all-time #1 on vndb.com.

And, obviously, the first season didn't do that either.

So here we are with season 2, and… it’s basically no worse and no better than before. There were a few shots with Takeru and Kasumi where I thought "hey, whoever storyboarded this actually cared", but that faded by the time we got to the reused clips from last season to remind viewers of the just-concluded coup d'état arc. It was somewhat interesting to hear the show use one of the VN's most iconic musical themes, "Fate", as the cadets received their diplomas, when it didn't use that last season for Sagiri's death like the VN does. Evan Call's original soundtrack for the anime has been fine, of course, if perhaps not as memorable as his score for Violet Evergarden, or especially his doom-drenched music backing the Muv-Luv prequel Schwarzesmarken.

Next week is probably where we hit the point where the source material takes off, but who knows if this adaptation will do anything with it, or who the show is even for at this point: newbies are unconvinced if not utterly lost, and existing fans are disappointed at the sanded-down character designs and the indifferent direction. With some very difficult thematic material coming up, that could be a real problem.

Like I keep saying, Muv-Luv's structure is a nightmare to adapt (and therefore a nightmare to pitch a complete adaptation to a production commitee), and from the first season I genuinely think they did the absolute best they could with the cards they were dealt, the coup arc specifically is pretty good, they even adapted a lot of extra scenes from the manga. I could see the effort and passion there, and now that they are finally done with the obligatory build up, I honestly think they can make a worthy adaptation with this second season. Heck, the first episode alone this week has got me pretty optimistic. It's really a shame almost no one is paying attention to it, but it's a niche franchise with an adaptation that basically starts midway, and even then it's still not the "amazing" part, so it's understandable.

I actually made a video last year explaining the franchise and summarizing Extra and Unlimited to help people get into the franchise, not sure if I can post it here due to self-promotion rules, though? If any mods are reading this, could you plase confirm?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
]Whether they deserve it or not isn't really my issue with this kind of writing, so much as the idea that I'm supposed to think "they deserve it so yay to killing people!". I think I can bail, then. Thanks for the info.

Each to their own. Whatever makes you comfortable watching, because it is your viewing pleasure that you have to meet.

Killing blatantly evil people and celebrating their deserved and justified ends is kinda the norm. We in the audience are supposed to feel some cathartic release when bad guys meet their deserved end, for the vile evil they have done.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh -- even just from old favorites I won't be able to resist watching, this season already has Mob Psycho, Spy x Family, MHA, and Golden Kamuy. Going to be tough to keep up with everything, though I guess Dragonquest is coming to a close soon, to free up a bit of time..

Mob Psycho Reviews wrote:
(Editor's Note: I've never kicked Caitlin -LL)

Would this be more or less accurate if Caitlin were underlined for emphasis? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 22