• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
@ Palprince - I agree that Japan as a nation is not tempermentally suited for liberal immigration policies. You can celebrate or deplore that stance, but it is reality. However, I perceive an overblown reaction on your part to the situation in Europe. This is a continent that did its best to destroy itself in two of the most destructive wars in human history. If it survived that, I'm sure it will be able to handle those pesky Muslims just fine. The problems some of the countries like the UK, France and Belgium are experiencing on that front are a legacy of their bloody colonial past and current day racism.

The only reason immigration can't work in Japan is the current mindset of its people. If that ever changes, there would be no impediment to successfully increasing immigration.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Not a big factor necessarily, but the idea of it being an option getting married or having kids is something that is starting to gain traction. I thought that I saw something similar to this already expressed earlier in the forum. Some people just don't want either of those things, me being one of them.
Yeah, I'd put that down as a defining symptom of the problems; very similar to what's being experienced in the U.S with the post-2008 Millennials. Different underlying cause; very similar results. (I'm on the Gen-X/Gen-Y border, but hung around in college for way too long, so I saw a lot of this cultural change happening gradually over the years.)

At the risk of sounding trite, that's not an option at a societal level. It's either 2.1 children per woman or the society goes under. Period. Math doesn't lie. Sure, total pop. may reduce from time to time, but *eventually* it has to stabilize at that. If you don't want kids and you happen to live in a time when a healthy population correction/contraction was occurring then yay for you, but -- generally speaking -- that's not something society can tolerate above a certain scale.

In contrast to others in this thread, I do think Japan can find a way to survive, and a way that doesn't involve *massive* immigration (which is destabilizing to any society, but especially a strongly homogenous one) or invading China. But it needs to escalate efforts soon. It's not like the Japanese government (even pre-Abe) hasn't recognized the issue coming down the pike and tried various things... it just needs to ramp up efforts ASAP.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Palprince - I agree that Japan as a nation is not tempermentally suited for liberal immigration policies. You can celebrate or deplore that stance, but it is realitly. However, I perceive an overblown reaction on your part to the situation in Europe. This is a continent that did its best to destroy itself in two of the most destructive wars in human history. If it survived that, I'm sure it will be able to handle those pesky Muslims just fine. The problems some of the countries like the UK, France and Belgium are experiencing on that front are a legacy of their bloody colonial past and current day racism.

The only reason immigration can't work in Japan is the current mindset of its people. If that ever changes, there would be no impediment to successfully increasing immigration.

Yes there are racism, and that is just deplorable, but there are other side of the story. Many emigrants, especially Muslin communities just isolate themselves. They don't even try to integrate in European society and culture. The problem is even bigger with the second generation. They feel that they are alien to European society and hate their countries.
And don't forget one thing. The resistance to Muslim immigrants have deeper roots that colonial past. Many countries, mostly on the Balkan peninsula and also southern countries like Spain and Portugal were invaded by Muslim countries in the past.

And like some posts said Japan don't really need immigration. Less workforce can be substitute by technology. Japan are in the forefront in robotics and are also in the forefront in studying automatic drive for public transportation.
The population decline is something that is happening in developed countries. All countries that achieve a degree of development will have a population decline.
Is only faster in Japan. Soon or latter it will stabilize.

The real challenge for Japan is the concept of family and marriage. Japanese man have to accept that many Japanese woman are different from the past. They are more independent and more assertive. They want to work as much as man want to work.
And Japanese woman also can't expect that only marry when the perfect man appear. Now still are 1/3 of Japanese woman that all they want is marry to a good man that will sustain them and they became housewives.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

I see all kinds of hentai manga with the premise of "Japanese government legalizes rape to combat declining birth rate"

That's messed up!
You don't know half. Wink

Like I said earlier the Japanese have realised they are not raising enough young to sustain their economy let alone the 2020 Olympics so are now actively inviting people from China, South Korea, Tiawan, Australial, New Zealand, Indoneasia, Mylasia, and yes basically anyone from anywhere as working tourists, or people what not just visit for a week or two, but 3 to 6 months granted by a short term working visa. Once that runs out they go back to whinst they came, or have the opportunity to apply for permanant residence, but they must pass the very tough and stringent citizen test including reading and writing coherant Japanese and having a sucessful job offer by a company, corporation, school, or university as a teacher, or staff. In short they're getting more tolerant of foriegn immigrants as long as they at least live and act Japanese.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dextres

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
@FloozyGod, Vaisaga, & Mohawk52:

Like falling in "love" with your rapist on a train from un-consent sexual acts. Then promising to spend the rest of your life with them, no family or school to making them happy.

That rape fantasy.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid and the mantra that Japan is some "inbred cesspool" when it clearly isn't. Guess your endgame goal is to have the whole country have minarets and the entire population to look as mongrel as possible. Like good ol' Deutschland.

I bet you wouldn't say the same if Japan tried to push their ways and culture to others because, ya know, they so self-destructive and all that. Everyone else, though, is the magic ticket to Japan's redevelopment and they should take it as if foreigners were god's gift to them.

Suuure, "mongrels" like me, being of heavily mixed ethnic and cultural descent, as well as having lived in different parts of the world, why that's gotta' be "multicultural cool-aid". Laughing No way that there could be anything remotely positive about different peoples coming together and sharing in each others culture. Rolling Eyes

The truth is, whether Japan likes it or not, their culture is going to change. This is true for pretty much any culture anywhere in the world. That's not to say Japan's change needs to happen via multiculturalism, since I was just speaking in support of it in a more general sense. But regardless of how that change happens, in order for Japan to survive as a nation, they'll need to make some adjustments.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's comments has grimly reminded me of how moronic the human race has been over the years.
Dextres

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ain't it beautiful.

We all one big FLAWED, human race indeed LMFAO!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:
@FloozyGod, Vaisaga, & Mohawk52:

Like falling in "love" with your rapist on a train from un-consent sexual acts. Then promising to spend the rest of your life with them, no family or school to making them happy.

That rape fantasy.
Erm, how did I get included in this again? Question
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
[ I live in NYC, it's not the Diversity Utopia people like you claim it is. Most of it is pockets filled different ethnicities where English is not their first language, rather stick to their own kind and pretend their street is the place they came from.

I also live in New York (Staten Island, currently), and are just here to tell you that you are at least partially full of crap. Yes, different groups do have their own communities, but there's a lot more mixed company than in a lot of places (socially and employment wise), and most importantly, everyone gets along. Those two points are particularly evident, for one, to anybody who takes any sort of public transportation.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I live in Melbourne, Australia. Of a population of about 4½ million, some 36.7% were born overseas. It has largest Greek population outside of Europe and Nguyen is the second most common name after Smith. The Economist Intelligence Unit has rated Melbourne the world's most liveable city for six years running.

Yeah, I'm guilty as well, but this thread is veering off topic. The discussion is interesting, though. Be careful not to be racist or abusive of other views.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I live in Brexit. And Brexit means Brexit. Erm, whatever that means. Confused Anyway everyone can come to Brexit, because it's cheat, however we who live in Brexit can not leave because it's too expensive now. Brass is hardly worth picking up off the pavement. Rolling Eyes
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The immigration argument reminds me of why I quit my last job: on my last day, the call center director told us to claim we were having system issues whenever there was a queue at all; this inflated the call stats, but by any real measure customer service went through the floor.

The same thing goes for immigration: you get the numbers up, but is what's there still Japan? When people immigrate, they bring their culture with them; what degree they assimilate depends on the compatibility of the two cultures and the effort put into making it work. Of course, the people usually demanding multiculturalism really mean they want mass importation of third worlders whose cultures they don't actually understand.

As for child-rearing, culture is pretty powerful. What needs to be done to convince the Japanese into having more children is far beyond simple funding. (And as icky as it sounds, taking a page from the Nazis or the Fascists on their propaganda is perfectly acceptable if it's applicable)
MrFox123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

You are pretty close. Overseas revenue is 32% of everything. Not all from NA though, Asian countries dominate the anime export business.

Where'd you get this number? Surprised
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Palprince - I agree that Japan as a nation is not tempermentally suited for liberal immigration policies. You can celebrate or deplore that stance, but it is realitly. However, I perceive an overblown reaction on your part to the situation in Europe. This is a continent that did its best to destroy itself in two of the most destructive wars in human history. If it survived that, I'm sure it will be able to handle those pesky Muslims just fine. The problems some of the countries like the UK, France and Belgium are experiencing on that front are a legacy of their bloody colonial past and current day racism.

Yes there are racism, and that is just deplorable, but there are other side of the story. Many emigrants, especially Muslin communities just isolate themselves. They don't even try to integrate in European society and culture.

Yeah, no. The isolation of some Muslim communities in Europe didn't happen in a vaccuum. The feeling of alienation that SOME second generation Muslims have didn't happen in a vaccuum. Muslims are made to feel like second class citizens. It's no accident that Canada (and the U.S. for that matter) does not have the same difficulties with our Muslim populations that former colonial powers like the UK, France and Belgium do.

But back ontopic: Japan's wimmins need studs!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12