• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xia83

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
The most recent one for me was Air.

spoiler[ I was expecting nay hoping for a hapier ending, and man I didn't get it.
Also we're left with way to many questions imho.
]
Rocky3535

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rocky3535, it's weird how the Trigun manga is so excellent, but then the ending was so drawn-out and ended up a little bit disappointing. The last few pages still made me smile, but I felt the solution with Knives was a cop-out. What I'd really like to see is what happens next in the TV series version, spoiler[whether Knives lives with Vash, or he's held captive or what. ] But the movie will be taking place before the end of the TV show.

Yeah. I thought the entire ending to the Vash/Knives Story arc , for as long and drawn out as it was , was somehow totally rushed. It was like Nightow just said.....ok all this stuff has happened......now THIS has happened....end. spoiler[I just don't like how knives...who at this point has basically become a god just changes his mind and is like...ok....vash wins....i'll go now] Total crap.
I'm actually pretty pleased that the movie is taking place before the ending of the series. Even tough i'm not a fan of how the manga ended...it's what Nightow wanted. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He gave me an amazing story with a so-so ending.
And a priceless childhood memory. I'm super pleased this new movie will just be another story , we get new and fresh vash without someone bastardizing the story. I am dissapointed since i saw no sign of Knives or Gung Ho Guns in the trailer....but oh well......hopefully they continue to make moives.
vision1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
I think the problem is that they just didn't leave enough space for a proper resolution - there is no way they could have satisfyingly wrapped up everything they'd built up in the last 25 episodes with just one more episode.

Hmmm... well that is probable, in a way I think they were at the end of their ropes plot wise, but I was hoping for a final episode that was more action packed- and continued the excitement of #25. An all-action fightout between Section 9 and the military- and this kind of ending would do nothing for the plot because 99% of it had already been resolved with episode 22-24. The bits I had scribbled down were I thought Motoko should, in a final battle jump on a chopper and try to escape while being covered by Batou (like in the Matrix), and be shot down over the bay. He'd cry out just like at the end of 25- (after I erase that part because it shouldn't have happened) and we'd think she was dead. The music would start and the credits would roll, showing the underwater scene- of Motoko suddenly swimming upward with half her body (like in the Bourne Ultimatum) and this is also a reference to the original GIS movie, spoiler[where Batou asked her why she went swimming when she had no ability to float]. Episode 27 would therefore pick up where 26 leaves off- with Section 9 as a now illegal, underground crime fighting organization. Because, really, what happened in episode 25 is simply not believable- unless they were being eradicated for good. In the next episode (26), everything is suddenly okay. So, then, I'm supposed to accept that the Japanese government spoiler[just figured they'd blow up the top floors of a building in the middle of downtown Tokyo before elections ]to let their constituents know they cared (!). That they'd carry out a huge and noisy battle, spoiler[including using state-of-the art mecha to storm a hotel and assassinate people, and members of public security?] Once the writers took those steps with the story, they should have followed through, and brought it to its logical conclusion. Once you blow up the bridge, you can't put it back.

I haven't gotten into season 2 just yet- but it sounds like they mess it up again! Dammit! Why does a great anime have to have such a big weakness?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
vision1 wrote:

I haven't gotten into season 2 just yet- but it sounds like they mess it up again! Dammit! Why does a great anime have to have such a big weakness?

I went into 2nd GIG having heard that the ending was another flop, but I really didn't think it was. It ties everything off quite nicely, and it's a huge tear-jerker to boot. Your mileage may vary, of course, but you should certainly watch it for yourself before you decide Razz Pretty much everything about 2nd GIG is better than the first season anyway.

Solid State Society, on the other hand....hooo boy. Never try to pack a whole season of GitS: SAC into a movie - that's the lesson to be learned there. Talk about a resolution that comes right the heck out of nowhere. At least the final scene is touching enough to make up for it...
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
It is not really an ending, but I would have to say His and Her Circumstances since they never got around to doing an ending.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
My number one most messed up ending would have to be Guyver : the bioboosted armor. spoiler[I mean they go through 10 tons of hell gear up for a big fight he just gets his awesome "last transformation" and then that's all folks. I mean seriously audiences deserve better than a "and then the final battle happened .. the end". ]
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It has to be Metropolis for me, good art good story probably too much 3D no waaay too much 3D and that cliche ending spoiler[that resembled Akira so much]. Nop it just didn't work for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
It's never fun when you really get into an anime and they suddenly leave you open-ended. If it's where they say "just read the manga" it's not as bad, but it's annoying if they're only holding out for a possible season 2. It's even worse when there's not a manga to go off of.

Anyway, the worst anime ending of all time, for me, is Jyu-Oh-Sei. The beginning had a great sci-fi based plotline. It's Survival of the Fittest and Thor, our main character, must reach the top to get revenge. Sounds cliche' but the series has a fresh feel, coming from a manga from the 80s. Each episode gets you more exited about becoming the Beast King and taking over the planet. But all of a sudden, about two thirds of the way it's like you're following completely different characters that happen to look alike and have the same name. spoiler[Thor becomes King not by beating the system with the help of a (should have been) love interest and a new-found friend, but by fighting over a new girl introduced the episode before!] You almost don't even care about the big pot-twister reveal at the end because all respect that was skillfully built up for Thor is simply gone. Sure, the last 10 minuets kind of redeem the show, but only kind of. It could have been better.

Most people I know haven't even heard of this show, and I think it's for the better. Which is a shame, really, because it's actually really good (and the manga is amazing). I just can't get over the dumb ending. If you get the chance to watch it, just quit at episode 6 while you're ahead.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:
It has to be Metropolis for me, good art good story probably too much 3D no waaay too much 3D and that cliche ending spoiler[that resembled Akira so much]. Nop it just didn't work for me.

Not to mention Rin Taro's ambition to be as Artistically Impenetrable as possible:
"OMG, they detonated the Ray Charles bomb!" Razz
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Not to mention Rin Taro's ambition to be as Artistically Impenetrable as possible:
spoiler["OMG, they detonated the Ray Charles bomb!"]

A particularly strong accusation, I find.
Though my first viewing of such a film certainly left me ambivalent, subsequent viewings more than sufficed to give me an awe-inspired appreciation for such a director, especially as regards the cinematic sequence to which you refer. Put bluntly, it is unlikely that I would have become an anime fan had I not come across it by chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9