• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Busters! + Refrain (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chang~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
(For the guys that already know the story)

I'm curious about this show, but I have a couple of questions:

Is this a story like Clannad? I mean, in the sense that they make you laugh at first, lots of jokes and cute girls, and then the hard-cold truth arrives and strikes really, really hard with either a catastrophic past or a terrible present for each girl.

Because if that's the case, then I might watch it. I didn't like Clannad's visual novel all that much (waaaay too long) but I totally loved the anime, that condensed the best bits.

spoiler[ Yes it is.... and it has two terning points beyond your thought at the end of the story. But don't worry, it has a happy end so just enjoy watching it. I think key never told sad, cold stories, they just trying to tell us how strong we really are by some visual novels which seems sad(and always have a happy end). LB is just at the same style.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8
Kud is one my favorite characters besides Lizbeth so this episode was an okay for me despite not too much happening. Finding a spoiler[roommate] isn't always easy but it looks like everything worked out in the end, just in a surprising form.

Not much else to say but it was a relaxing watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
If I recall in the 4koma Haruka becomes Kud's roommate so when they turned her down (because she'd spin her I guess?) I wasn't sure how it would end up. Though it had occured to me that spoiler[Kanata] might be the one.

And Mio finally appears.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So we're a good percentage through the show now, at least a first season, and I'm just not feeling any of these characters yet. Sure some of them are cute, but I'm not getting anything deeper from them like other Key adapted works tended to get in by this point.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
I really like this episode. Nishizono finally appears, and she doesn't sound too different with the original, so that is a good sign.

And I was surprised that Ecstasy BGM was in the episode. So I guess perhaps they will make spoiler[Kanata route] as well.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
I watch this anime and I wonder what they're gonna do with 26 episodes.
Nothing much has been happening except fan service.
There's not much of a plot either, except for the part with some baseball and new member.
Little Busters are like a members collecting club..
At least this time they got a talented Kud baseball player.
Think I'm gonna drop this one. It's going nowhere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So we're a good percentage through the show now, at least a first season, and I'm just not feeling any of these characters yet. Sure some of them are cute, but I'm not getting anything deeper from them like other Key adapted works tended to get in by this point.
I think this echos how I am feeling. Where is our spazy but with a sweet centre Michurus and Makoto, totally unsociable yet kind Kotomis and Mais, and I think most importantly is an interesting main character. Yukito a traveling puppeteer not afraid to fight and does a mean cat, Tomoya is a delinquent who sets up misconceptions for fun along with pranks, and Yuuchi is a habitual prankster who seems to gey joy from totally confusing other people by words. Riki almost feels like on of the girls, the only thing holding him in his role is the fact he is (or going ti) solve the problems of the girls.

After looking through youtube videos including one of "Uguu" and another of Henshin, I think I realize that the jokes have not been hitting as hard either. Perhaps I should do a marathon of Kanon, though I do consider it my favourite show and this comparing it is a little harsh.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
i too like Kanon the most
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, Kanon is the only one I actually bought, so I guess that says all that needs saying.

Still, Little Busters is doing fine. It's not as in your face as Kanon or Clannad (I haven't seen Air) with the humor, but this more laid back approach is nice too. Riki is a genuinely nice guy rather than a jerk with a heart of gold, and that's a nice change of pace.

Perhaps it's too early to say this, but Little Busters already has a leg up on Kanon and Clannad in my book. The biggest problems I had with the latter two is that the Makoto and Fuuko arcs dragged on way too long (to the point that Clannad's later arcs suffered because of it). I felt Komari's was a bit short, but I'd prefer that over it being too dragged out.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Kanon the least. There is no involved story. Merely 5 separated arcs that have nothing in common in terms of theme or purpose other than "Yuuichi helping girls most of whom he interacted with when he was little". It is the absolute weakest story-wise. Meanwhile Air improved upon that by leaps and bounds, connecting all the minor story arcs together with Kanna (and the miracles her feathers can cause) with the overall theme being the paramount importance of mothers and particularly the mother/daughter bond. Clannad wasn't quite as connected thematically ('family' is far too broad and there were things like Misae's cat which didn't even carry that motif) but in exchange had a very powerful 'after story' wherein decisions made in all the other routes come to mean much more. Little Busters also has a very broad theme (getting through life's trials through the help of others, friends in particular) but for the most part stays very close throughout. It also has a very powerful arc (known as 'Refrain') wherein decisions made in past arcs are now seen in a new light.

The character routes in Little Busters are probably the worst in a modern Key game (though I haven't played Rewrite yet). Jun Maeda, who penned the majority if not all of Kanon, Air, and Clannad only wrote the 'common' route, Rin's two routes and Refrain (as well as Saya's route in Little Busters Ecstasy). As a result, the side character routes are weaker than before. If one is to play/watch Little Busters, the big payoff will likely not come until late in the game. And it remains to be seen whether or not JC Staff can capture the emotional twists-and-turns that make up the latter portions of the visual novel.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
so how many characters have routes?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
In Little Busters there is Komari, Kud, Haruka, Mio, Kurugaya, Rin 1, Rin 2, and Refrain

In Little Busters EX there is Saya, Kanata, and Sasami.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
so, is Ecstasy like an upgrade that turns Little Busters from an all ages game to an adult game as well as add new characters? And what is refrain?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's exactly what EX is. Refrain is a route that unlocks only after every other route has been completed. It can be thought of as the 'after story' of Little Busters,
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This anime is so good. I was behind for a bit but I went through Komari's arc as fast as people get in line for Black Friday shopping.

spoiler[ THAT'S HORRIBLE! Waking up atop your brother's dead body...*shudder* yeah, just a *wee* bit of trauma, anyone!?]

And Kud! OH KUD! Kud is mine. I'm taking her home. Razz I won't give her to anyone!

......well, maybe Riki. :'D

It's hard to pick a girl for him...though it seems Komari has a fair shot. But RikixKud would be too adorable for words!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 32