• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah whether or not polyamory is considered the norm is irrelevant, even from the start Sylphie suggested extra parties in their relationship. I was similarly annoyed with Norn's complaints being brushed aside because "Well he's not a follower of Millis" (yet it was him that insisted over and over that he'd be monogamous only for the teacher he hadn't reunited with in a decade to become someone he loved just as much as his wife) when the Millis point is the least relevant part of the issue.

Honestly if both the Roxy romance and the cheating resolution weren't so half-assed I would have been more interested in what the story was cooking, it's not like I'm opposed to heavily flawed characters trying to do their best in relationships despite the messups, it's just disatisfying here.

Tangentially related it sure is convenient that all of Rudeus' primary love interests gave their virginities to him and have no romantic experience with any other guy besides him despite how terminally horny this entire world is....
Gamen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Tangentially related it sure is convenient that all of Rudeus' primary love interests gave their virginities to him and have no romantic experience with any other guy besides him despite how terminally horny this entire world is....

I'm still processing my thoughts on whether polyamory in the sense people are using is meaningful to what's going on here (except by comparison), but as far as the "entire world" being terminally horny, I'll point out that with Elinalise's backstory, how moved she was by Cliff accepting all of her, the discrimination her son experienced just for being related to her, and how worried she was the being related to her would change how Rudy felt about Sylphy, hints at Asura's libertine attitudes not being universal. And that there's probably a double standard for men and women too.

Edit: Though on a more practical level, Eris was with him the entire time, Sylphy stayed in love/obsessed with him the entire time they were apart, and Roxy simply looks like a child to all but her fellow Migurda that she feels alienated from because of her lack of telepathy; it probably never occurred to her that the solution was to get to know a young boy so his memories of her would be of an "older girl", then come back years later to find that he still thought of her as older than him despite her physical appearance.

Last edited by Gamen on Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:
I can see how an anime-only viewer might not get all that when the only relationships shown so far have been Paul/Zenith and Cliff/Elinalise, which are both monogamous. I think the anime's biggest failing is in not making that cultural dynamic clearer.

I think it's come up a few times in the thread; I don't think I ever commented on it, though, and it's OK to restate it, anyway. I agree the anime is oddly understated about it, but I don't think it would have changed my thoughts for it to paint the world as highly polyamorous, because I think the key issue here is the betrayal of trust / cheating and how the story resolves that, not whether Sylphie would ultimately be down for bringing in a third partner. i.e., it's about broken trust and honesty, which if anything seems more important in a multi-partner romance.

Same with me. In a roundabout way it feels like the story and some characters are saying its ok to cheat when polyamory is the norm, as if infidelity is only a thing because of monogamy. But infidelity is about breaking trust, the fact that Paul noticed that something might happen and would have brought it up with Rudy if he hadn't died is pretty telling.

Also, even in the novels, despite more examples of polyamory, Rudy still feels bad when the affair happened. His immediate thought isn't "Polyamory makes this ok", it's the story/characters that tell him not to feel bad.

Ultimately, It just feels rushed. Some would say the timing is wierd considering what happened to rudy's parents but if anything I feel it's because of the parent situation that were meant to accept this as a "bright spot" or "silver lining". For all the talk of Polyamory, it would have been more awkward if Roxy had shown up on a happier, normal day.
niknasr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to add here. agreed with reviewer. Plus, what I loved about this episode is how they not act out of character here which make the resolutions organic. In addition, although there were a lot of harems anime, one that clearly focused on polygamy as the main romance elements is too far few and between. Really excited on seeing that dynamic play out between Rudeus, Roxy and Sylphy in S3. We have seen the Lilia and Zenith dynamics which mostly on how Lilia lowering the status of herself for most of the time by making a solid hierarchical structure.

One of the core elements in Mushoku Tensei is the element of communication, pretty interesting to see how the Roxy Sylphy how they interact. With Eris comes into picture as well if we based only on end credits.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:49 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the season and looking forward to the next one =D

Some thoughts on the final episode:

-So I guess Rudy can't heal his hand back or at least there isn't a powerful enough healer at the academy/town to finish what he started

-I don't know if it's the hair or what, but when we first saw Sylphie I thought she aged 10 years Laughing Maybe they're just trying to give her a more mature/motherly look?

-Norn (seemingly) not recognizing her mother is pretty sad

-Aisha sure does have strong self control to hold herself back, though it's sad she feels like she needs to do so

-Why were Norn and Aisha in the room when marrying Roxy was brought up? Lilia had the wherewithal to leave and she should have taken those two with her. This (at least at first) should have been a conversation between just Rudy and Sylphie, maybe Roxy too.
I guess it was just so we'd get Norn's reaction before anything was decided *shrug*
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:05 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
Mami-kouga wrote:

I'm still processing my thoughts on whether polyamory in the sense people are using is meaningful to what's going on here (except by comparison), but as far as the "entire world" being terminally horny, I'll point out that with Elinalise's backstory, how moved she was by Cliff accepting all of her, the discrimination her son experienced just for being related to her, and how worried she was the being related to her would change how Rudy felt about Sylphy, hints at Asura's libertine attitudes not being universal. And that there's probably a double standard for men and women too.

Edit: Though on a more practical level, Eris was with him the entire time, Sylphy stayed in love/obsessed with him the entire time they were apart, and Roxy simply looks like a child to all but her fellow Migurda that she feels alienated from because of her lack of telepathy; it probably never occurred to her that the solution was to get to know a young boy so his memories of her would be of an "older girl", then come back years later to find that he still thought of her as older than him despite her physical appearance.

You're thinking a bit too much about the watsonian excuse for all of this while my comment was more focused on the doylist reason.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:19 am Reply with quote
Covman wrote:

Quote:
So I guess Rudy can't heal his hand back or at least there isn't a powerful enough healer at the academy/town to finish what he started

Personally I really like that he hasn't gotten his arm back. Not because I want to see him punished or diminished, but because I like things to have real, permanent ramifications. I also like the idea that there are limits to what magic can do in this world. I think it grounds things greatly. For all the idea that Rudy is overpowered, he's Spider-Man overpowered, not Superman overpowered. He certainty is all amazeballs, but he's not going to be one-shotting demon lords or anything.

Rudy needs a new sword instructor to help him learn to wield his sword with his offhand. Watching him only with great awkwardness block the neophyte Norn's blows suggests he's got a lot of ground to make up. I also like how Norn taking her residual anger out in their sword practice mirrored Paul doing the same thing after Rudy tossed him under the bus during the whole Lilia affair.

Quote:
Aisha sure does have strong self control to hold herself back, though it's sad she feels like she needs to do so

She didn't feel like she needed to, she was being mindful of her sister's devastation. Aisha lost one parent (one she never really knew), Norn lost two, including the one she loved more than anyone else in the world. Celebrating the return of her own mother right in front of Norn would have been cruel, so she elected to hold herself back. It was a beautiful moment when Norn urged her to express herself. One of the greatest things in an extremely satisfying season ender was seeing how close Norn and Aisha have grown.

Quote:
I don't know if it's the hair or what, but when we first saw Sylphie I thought she aged 10 years Laughing Maybe they're just trying to give her a more mature/motherly look?

This is really the first time Sylphy has been in a position where she's taking care of others. When they were kids she was always following in Rudy's footsteps, if impressively closely. While she was with the Princess and Luke she was a friend personally but subordinate to both in terms of the political / bodyguarding stuff. I think she's blossomed running the house and caring for Norn and Aisha. Her stepping in to clear the air between her, Roxy and Rudy isn't the mark of a doormat, it's the mark of a mature person making the best of a potentially bad situation for the benefit of everyone involved. Even her waiting for Norn to finish her rant was presumably to get all the grievances out in the open so that they can be dealt with, and also to let Norn vent so that she doesn't bottle her resentment up where it can fester. And maybe, you know, because it was also a safe way to express her own resentment before she permanently put it aside.

I don't really care about the sex stuff, except as it reveals more about the characters. But will the three sleep together? We know Sylphy had been having sex with the Princess, so she's not adverse to that aspect of things. Again, I don't need the show to dwell on that sort of thing, but I am interested in all and any aspects of how the relationship between the three of them will work. I still think Roxy will eventually head out to go adventuring or just to travel, though. She doesn't seem the type to stay in one place very long.

Quote:
Why were Norn and Aisha in the room when marrying Roxy was brought up? Lilia had the wherewithal to leave and she should have taken those two with her.

Because it's family business and they are family.

Man, no Mushoku Tensei nor Frieren for a good long while. We've feasted well lately, so unfortunately it's time to fast for a while. The new season of Re:Zero in the fall should help, although I don't love that show like I love these two.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
We know Sylphy had been having sex with the Princess, so she's not adverse to that aspect of things.

I'm pretty sure that while Sylphy was sleeping with Ariel, it was not in a euphemistic sense. Though Ariel made the attempt.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:08 am Reply with quote
Gamen opined:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that while Sylphy was sleeping with Ariel, it was not in a euphemistic sense. Though Ariel made the attempt.

Is that confirmed in the novels? They sure were dressed in sexy nightwear when that assassin found them together. And Ariel apparently in the books has a tendency to have sex with all her female staff. So I guess I just assumed. If that's true, then it really emphasizes how weird Ariel must have found Sylfy's overt horniess when she expressed her feelings for Rudy. Albeit expressed as an inexperienced middle schooler might have.

Again, I'm not hoping for it. Threesomes are not a kink of mine (put in me the Jerry Seinfeld club on that score), even if I were interested in the sex lives of cartoon characters. I just wonder how this will work. Will Rudy rotate between each woman's bedroom? Or will they alternate going to his room while he stays in place? One requires two bedrooms, one three, although I guess their house is pretty big. In any case, I'm more interested in the logistics than the actual stuff being done.

Hopefully Norn and Aisha's rooms are far from the action. Even Rudy didn't seem particularly pleased to be subjected to the sounds of his parents humping all the time.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Is that confirmed in the novels? They sure were dressed in sexy nightwear when that assassin found them together. And Ariel apparently in the books has a tendency to have sex with all her female staff.

As far as I know, yes. Especially in the scene you mention from season 2 episode 0, it's just moral support; Ariel has nights she doesn't want to sleep alone too, when she's plagued by nightmares, and she's just doing the same for Sylphie and has no intentions of forcing herself on her. And she respects that Sylphy is still pining for Rudy. She just likes teasing her.

Now, had Sylphy been open to it, or if Rudy were ever to break her heart, well...
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Gamen:

Thanks! I always love to get more context for things. The more pieces I have the more things I can put together.

(Although even if I read the novels myself I'll probably headcanon some stuff. I tend to generally treat manga and light novels as discrete works from the anime. That's why the knowledge of where the Usagi Drop books go doesn't affect my love for the anime a whit. That latter stuff is bad fanfic as far as I'm concerned.)
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope Rudeus makes his half-sister clean the whole house everyday on her knees. Good god what a bizarre show.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Yeah whether or not polyamory is considered the norm is irrelevant, even from the start Sylphie suggested extra parties in their relationship. I was similarly annoyed with Norn's complaints being brushed aside because "Well he's not a follower of Millis" (yet it was him that insisted over and over that he'd be monogamous only for the teacher he hadn't reunited with in a decade to become someone he loved just as much as his wife) when the Millis point is the least relevant part of the issue.

Honestly if both the Roxy romance and the cheating resolution weren't so half-assed I would have been more interested in what the story was cooking,

A couple things worth clarifying here:

Sylphie was open to Rudeus taking a concubine if she couldn't conceive. Having a second wife for other reasons didn't come up until Roxy came home with him. But she even ad,it's that it was a possibility given how much respect and admiration he had for Roxy and she was open to that. She even went so far as to settle the issue on her own terms which was a fantastic moment in the episode for me.

Rudest may not have seen Roxy for a decade but he clearly loved her the whole time. He generates her underwear in a shrine he built for purpose! It was just a different kind of love than what he had for Sylphy. Even his proposal to marry Roxy was more borne out of what would make her happy rather than whether it was something he wanted. He idolized her and is always grateful for what she did for him. This is him returning the favor in the best way he knows how.

Norn's feelings weren't really brushed aside just because of her religion. She was allowed to be angry and vent at the situation. She didn't immediately forgive Rudeus even when Sylphy settled the matter. We can see it took a while for her to come around and only when she realized that her father who she loved so much did the same thing -- and has a sister as a result -- with Paul still being devoted to both wives that she was able to accept Roxy. She had to process the grief and anger at her own pace. The religious aspect was just background.

As far as pacing goes this was not rushed. It was nearly two full episodes of grappling with the situation and multiple days in universe. We saw every involved character have their feelings known and worked them out to reach the point we are here. And it threaded the needle of being both in character and delivered in a sympathetic manner this called for. All the consequences were flushed out as well. This is a great example of concise but deep writing and the ending was quite satisfying.[/quote]
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
jmckenna15 wrote:
Mami-kouga wrote:

Honestly if both the Roxy romance and the cheating resolution weren't so half-assed I would have been more interested in what the story was cooking,

A couple things worth clarifying here:

Sylphie was open to Rudeus taking a concubine if she couldn't conceive. Having a second wife for other reasons didn't come up until Roxy came home with him. But she even ad,it's that it was a possibility given how much respect and admiration he had for Roxy and she was open to that. She even went so far as to settle the issue on her own terms which was a fantastic moment in the episode for me.

Rudest may not have seen Roxy for a decade but he clearly loved her the whole time. He generates her underwear in a shrine he built for purpose! It was just a different kind of love than what he had for Sylphy. Even his proposal to marry Roxy was more borne out of what would make her happy rather than whether it was something he wanted. He idolized her and is always grateful for what she did for him. This is him returning the favor in the best way he knows how.

Norn's feelings weren't really brushed aside just because of her religion. She was allowed to be angry and vent at the situation. She didn't immediately forgive Rudeus even when Sylphy settled the matter. We can see it took a while for her to come around and only when she realized that her father who she loved so much did the same thing -- and has a sister as a result -- with Paul still being devoted to both wives that she was able to accept Roxy. She had to process the grief and anger at her own pace. The religious aspect was just background.

As far as pacing goes this was not rushed. It was nearly two full episodes of grappling with the situation and multiple days in universe. We saw every involved character have their feelings known and worked them out to reach the point we are here. And it threaded the needle of being both in character and delivered in a sympathetic manner this called for. All the consequences were flushed out as well. This is a great example of concise but deep writing and the ending was quite satisfying.
[/quote]

Yeah I watched the anime too, I know why Sylphie suggested the concubines I don't need you to repeat it to me. This goes for the rest of your post too, I've already gone over my dislike of Roxy's romantic arc in weeks past I'm not going to repeat myself.
Yeah it sure took a while for her to come over, what felt like a grand total of a minute out of universe and at most a day in universe (if it took a few days/weeks the anime sure as hell didn't feel like it).

There's nothing you can say to make me view a romantic arc that took place over 5 episodes where we went from mutual feelings to cheating to marriage discussions isn't rushed especially when whatever sour feelings that could come out of it are basically immediately tied up and in comparison to every other arc of this show. I thought Sylphie's romance was so godawful that it almost made me drop the show and it still at least felt like more time was dedicated to it than all of this. If this is enough consequences for you to be satisfied, good for you, I have read way better elsewhere.

I'm not going to be discussing this any further with you.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing you can say to make me view a romantic arc that took place over 5 episodes where we went from mutual feelings to cheating to marriage discussions isn't rushed especially when whatever sour feelings that could come out of it are basically immediately tied up and in comparison to every other arc of this show. I thought Sylphie's romance was so godawful that it almost made me drop the show and it still at least felt like more time was dedicated to it than all of this. If this is enough consequences for you to be satisfied, good for you, I have read way better elsewhere./quote]

Again it was not 5 episodes. This glosses over the fact that Ruudy has loved Roxy the entire series and Roxy knew it was fate her true love would save her from the labyrinth. It was just a matter of lining the two paths up.

If it were just 5 episodes though, it would be roughly how long the Sylphy arc was imo. I'll agree that it wasn't my favorite. It was a bit slow and had the air of inevitability this didn't. But Rudeus pleded to marry Sylphy in the same episode as sleeping with her so this might just be his nature after what happened with Eris and the resulting trauma But there was more to unpack with Roxy and that required 2 episodes to deal with on just that.

This season might have felt rushed at times but this was not one of those moments. It might have been 5 episodes but by leveraging what we know about all the characters and how they see things, it meant that you could wrap it up in 5 episodes with all characters having their moments fully realized. That's what I meant by being concise. Every minute mattered and show-dont-tell storytelling filled the gaps. More episodes to deal with it could have made it like the Sylphy arc -- too slow and bogged down -- I fear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 77