• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
English voice actors? Or the japanese ones... If it's the english ones that gives me hope.

The interviews were with the English voice actors. One from H&C (I forget which role) and the women playing the two Nanas. Anyway, as Zac said, getting too OT here so yeah, moving on.

I do agree however that Viz is very likely to license Vampire Knight. Especially with the manga gaining popularity, as the latest Booklist numbers show.

I decided to watch Itazura na Kiss because it seemed cute and because other subs weren't out yet. I have to agree with the reviews that it isn't the most outstanding series ever, but it's fun enough. I think the second episode is quite a bit stronger than the first and the main character actually shows some intelligence and guts by spoiler[blackmailing the guy into tutoring her].

I do wish that they weren't playing up the "love" so much though. That's a problem I have with shoujo in general is that characters fall in love too easily. For some reason, just having a crush isn't enough, these characters must be completely in love with the love interest by the first episode, which is slightly ridiculous IMHO.
BombDiggady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to an exciting Spring of anime goodness! Very Happy

But I have to say: giving Code Geass R2 any less than five stars is purely evil.
Yes, I am a rabid Geass fan (and also, thanks to Code Geass, a Pizza Hut fan as well). Very Happy
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Jesus, the reviews are more schizo than ever.

Some reviews rate Macross rather lowly, then some rate Zettai Karen highly and sometimes abysmally lowly, etc.

To me, most shows at least make the passing grade except for the truly shallow ToLoveRu and Kanokon, though I will still watch them. Kamen no Maid Guy was a guilty pleasure so there's no need for me to get into any serious critique of it IMO.

Also, the reviews of Soul Eater is especially virile so far. So what if it's shonen? Is that all it takes to bash an anime nowadays? Go by genres? Veeeery professional guys..

As for Neo Angelique, I think some people just can't get over the conventions in that end either. It was well done for something that is ultimately the most conventional of magical girl game series and the first ep was actually verging on exciting, which is rare for Angelique.

Again, I'm very disappointed with the lack of any constructive review/preview and jumping with the most stereotypical bashing of a lot of these shows. I'm basically disappointed with all the panel so far.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Wagaya no Oinari-saman will keep the "furries " happy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, I find the praise for Nabari no Ou kinda surprising. While the art is nice the animation, aside from some select action sequences, has a painfully low frame rate. There's one scene at a little past four minutes where the substitute teacher comes around the corner and he literally appears on screen before they animate his walking. There's another part that comes to mind where the white haired kid goes from standing next to Miharu to standing in-front of and half facing him in a motion that only uses about three whole frames. There are several other instances as well, along with what I can only describe as slow motion. Pretty much any normal, non-action animation sequence looks slow, sluggish, and completely unnatural.

Normally I'm kinda oblivious to this type of thing, but it just seemed glaringly obvious in this show. I did like the first episode and the second episode looks like it could be even better, hopefully I'll get used to the animation style.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gan17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
So far, for Spring 08, my fave has to be Kure-Nai.

Will also be watching Code Geass and Nabari no Ou and maybe Allison and Lillia.

Carlos.... I agree with you on Kure-Nai.

Casey... since you're dropping Kure-Nai, you're obviously tasteless.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Casey wrote:
But no. Her assertive, headstrong behavior doesn't even last two episodes, and by the end of this one she's vowed never to order the beta male Will around again. Just because he took a hoof in the head for her. Oh, gimme a break.

Allison & Lillia episode 2 spoilers
spoiler[The hoof to the head was a freak accident. Not Allison's fault at all. I think this had more to do with when Allison nearly killed both of them by crashing the plane for what has been described as a bogus treasure story. But then, does Wil say, "No, it was all a bad idea." No, he tells Allison he wants to keep going, he wants to find the old man. I really don't see what the problem is. All Allison did was realize she should appreciate Wil's input once in a while; he didn't wholesale tell her never to assert herself.]
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Jesus, the reviews are more schizo than ever. Is that all it takes to bash an anime nowadays? hate hate hate hate hate

Okay, okay, you've made your point. You don't like the guide because:
a) the reviewers don't agree with each other
b) some of the reviewers don't agree with you

I think you can stop reading it and complaining now. This feature is not for you.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Jesus, the reviews are more schizo than ever.

Some reviews rate Macross rather lowly, then some rate Zettai Karen highly and sometimes abysmally lowly, etc.

Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? Not everyone is going to like exactly the same things. Not only do we get different reviewers' ratings for these shows, more importantly they give us their reasons for why they feel that way. It's just an opinion, but given their experience as people who both enjoy and review anime, shouldn't we at least hear them out? And there's no rule that says you have to agree.

Shippoyasha wrote:
Also, the reviews of Soul Eater is especially virile so far.

Er, manly?

gan17 wrote:
Casey... since you're dropping Kure-Nai, you're obviously tasteless.

We're glad you can handle an opinion that differs from your own with such grace and maturity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
stuff

"Wow, this feature is terrible! Not everyone has come to a consensus that my opinions are right!"
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
'Golgo 13' is a nostalgia attack on many fronts; the title spawned one of my first Nintendo games many moons ago (with notable 'make-out' scene complete with cheesy dialogue-"You, me,..an Iron Curtain.."), a manga which I believe may have been a tie-in with the game, and one of the earliest 'go to' anime to watch with friends. The new series doesn't appear to add much to the mythos, but the memories attached to the franchise split the difference.

I'm a big fan of great visual composition, but I'll agree with the reviewer who wasn't so taken with 'Kure-nai'. A lot of nice images accompanied by much spinning of plot wheels, and not particularly fresh plot wheels at that.

'Kamen no Maid Guy' is another of the titles I was able to catch making use of a sick day, and it was one of those terrifically quintessential Japanese physical-comedies. No subtlety to be found within a 4 mile radius, it delivered in a rough-edged, bombastic way that's part of anime's goofy charm.

'Allison and Lillia' was a title I checked out to see if I would find it more enjoyable then the series the reviewers were comparing it to, 'Kino's Journey'. 'Kino's Journey' joins 'NTHT' as one of those proverbial 'titles that everyone likes except you' for me, it's set-up was deceptively simple narrative supported by complex, adult subtext. Except it seemed to blanch heavily on the 'complex, adult subtext' part, and generally conducted itself with all the dramatical grace of an 'Afterschool Special' of yore. 'Allison and Lillia' seemed to move a similar way, forgoing intricate, subtle undercurrents for moving exactly where you except it to as stiffly as possible.

Even as a bonded and licensed fan-service connoisseur I found parts of 'Kanokon' more creepy than amusing. A lot of focus on odd Japanese anime fetishes whose appeal pases me by. 'To Love-Ru' continues to amuse for what it is. It looks to have gotten panned a bit, but it really seems no more or less cliche/vapid then similar-aimed female shows I've seen snippets of like 'Itazura na Kiss', which have gotten (generally) a degree or two of more favorable reaction. Though, in the big picture I guess that fits in with the 'Male-aimed fan-service= bad : Female-aimed fan-service=fun, entertaining' kind of tastes that anime fandom generally seems to have at the present.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why people think the reviewers should have all the same opinion (and that it match their own). People like different things. You find the one you agree with the most, and follow that reviewer.

Or you see what the consensus says, if you want to know what the "must see" or "must avoid" anime are for the season. If there's an outstanding anime, or a really really bad one, those are usually fairly easy to spot. That's why Rotten Tomatoes is a fun movie review site, for if a movie gets a 15% good rating from 100 reviewers, chances are, it's going to suck (but not definitely, since who knows, maybe you'll be one of the 15% who liked it).

Anyway, Nabari no Ou looks like it could be fun, as does Itazura no Kiss. Vampire Knight looks like some good bishie fare. Kurenai for some serious stuff. Code Geass I still need to watch the first season.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Casey wrote:
But no. Her assertive, headstrong behavior doesn't even last two episodes, and by the end of this one she's vowed never to order the beta male Will around again. Just because he took a hoof in the head for her. Oh, gimme a break.

Allison & Lillia episode 2 spoilers
spoiler[The hoof to the head was a freak accident. Not Allison's fault at all. ]

spoiler[Allison was an idiot for getting between a baby wild animal and it's mother. Wil's lucky a hoof to the head did little more than knock him unconscious. Really, he ought to have been dead.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nabari no Ou has some nice art and animation and Miharu's yaoi bait routine was kind of amusing, but the story and characters have yet to interest me. Sure, it was just a set up episode but it didn't do it in a very interesting manner. Start with dramatic flashback of the hero, have him get attacked by enemy ninjas and have side characters explain things to the hero and viewer. Miharu also annoyed me in that latter portion of the episode. At least the fights looked nice. Now that the basic setup has been taken care of, its the next couple of episodes that will decide if this is really worth following or if its just a nice looking rehash with dull characters.
NewLondenion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I would also like to voice my opinion against the [pre]reviewers' comments in regards to Code Geass and their subsequent ratings of the show despite the fact that it was only the first episode.

First, I would like to point out that while the show is definitely a mecha series, it's largely ignorant to dislike it because of that one aspect of it. Unlike other mecha-intensive shows like Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic!, and Evangelion, the mecha in Code Geass is by no means the focus of the show. The mecha serve as mere tools for the powers-that-be and the main characters.

Secondly, I would like to object to the reviewers' negative comments to Zero's appearance for two different reasons.
1. Given how the main character regained one year's worth of memories in the period of ten seconds, Zero's "grandiose gesticulations" and his "booming voice" I think would be completely justified.
2. To make a bad comment about how silly or hilarious Zero's reappearance was is comparable to People magazine disliking the Pirates of the Caribbean movies because Jack Sparrow's way of walking looked silly. Granted, Zero may have been somewhat over-the-top than he usually was, but it wasn't completely out of the ball park.

Finally as a side-note of the opinion of one Code Geass and xxxHolic fan (a friend of mine), while she definitely loves xxxHolic she would not put it above Code Geass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13