• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Tezuka seems to be Vertical's territory now. On the other hand, the is so much Tezuka I don't even know where is begins or ends...

Viz would make me happy if they chose something by Iou Kuroda for their signature line. Or perhaps they can pick up some old school shoujo. If The Drifting Classroom (from Shounen Sunday) fits in, why not The Rose of Versailles?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Rawshark wrote:
Since Cat Eyed Boy is over I could use another classic manga series starting up. Preferably a Tezuka gekiga. Twisted Evil

Tezuka never produced gekiga.

Tamaria wrote:
Tezuka seems to be Vertical's territory now.

Viz still have Phoenix (and Adolf?) and Dark Horse have cornered the market on Tezuka's earlier stuff - Lost World, Nextworld, Metropolis and Astro Boy.

I'm guessing there's just too much Tezuka for any one US publisher to handle.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka launched COM as a gekiga anthology and he filled most of the pages himself. It may not have been "true" gekiga, but it was very close in spirit.
Rawshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Tezuka never produced gekiga.

Adolf and Ayako are considered gekiga. Calling Phoenix and Ode to Kirihito gekiga is probably stretching the definition too far.

Anyway here's a quote from a summary of a Tezuka book
Quote:
The third section covers a selection of Tezuka's gekiga work produced between the late 1960s and late 1980s. Gekiga (literally, dramatic pictures) is a more seriously toned, adult-oriented narrative form of manga that stresses realistic effect and emotional impact, as opposed to the visual symbolism and high-keyed archetypes displayed in early postwar manga. While manga (comic pictures) is the umbrella term for all Japanese comics, gekiga (drama pictures) is often viewed as a branch within manga. This section of the exhibition is designed to acquaint audiences with the deeper power of manga.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Tezuka launched COM as a gekiga anthology and he filled most of the pages himself. It may not have been "true" gekiga, but it was very close in spirit.

When reading about COM, I've always seen it described as gekiga-inspired rather than actual gekiga but I don't suppose it's really an important distinction.

Rawshark wrote:
Adolf and Ayako are considered gekiga.

Fair enough. Having not read either, I'm happy to take your word for it.
Rawshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Viz would make me happy if they chose something by Iou Kuroda for their signature line. Or perhaps they can pick up some old school shoujo. If The Drifting Classroom (from Shounen Sunday) fits in, why not The Rose of Versailles?

There's a rumor going around saying Ryoko Ikeda is asking for too much money for the english license. Confused
Highway Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Rawshark wrote:
Adolf and Ayako are considered gekiga. Calling Phoenix and Ode to Kirihito gekiga is probably stretching the definition too far.

Well, Phoenix isn't Gekiga, but Ode To Kirihito comes close. Tatsumi himself praised the book. I'd say it's more Gekiga-influenced.
I hope Viz does something with Taiyo Matsumoto, considering his Eisner award. They could slap that fact on his manga to sell it better if they were to publish more, but I don't think many manga readers would be familiar with the Eisners at all...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Rawshark wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

There's a rumor going around saying Ryoko Ikeda is asking for too much money for the english license. Confused

That would explain why CMX hasn't picked it up yet.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
Rawshark wrote:

Well, Phoenix isn't Gekiga, but Ode To Kirihito comes close. Tatsumi himself praised the book. I'd say it's more Gekiga-influenced.

I'd say Ode to Kirihito is more gekiga-influenced than actually gekiga. There's too much fantasy influence for it to be pure gekiga. Considering the circus girl, the mysterious dog-disease, etc, is all too fantastical. But the style is very much a gekiga style. The story however, is not. I would not consider Phoenix gekiga at all. Adolf, though, I would consider gekiga. Though much later in the movement. Art and story wise, it's very similar to gekiga style. But I haven't finished it yet, so I really can't say 100%.

I certainly wish there were more Tezuka works available in America. That would be AMAZING.
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Alright! It's a new month, so let's go over what is coming our way for Signature Line.

9/16/08:
Sumi: Vagabond Illustration Collection
Water: Vagabond Illustration Collection
Vagabond VIZBIG Edition Vol. 1
'
It's Vagabond month I see. Well, since I never bought any books from the entire series, its a perfect time to jump in now since I can get the VIZBIG verison with 3 volumes in it.

I have a question. I preordered Real Vol. 2 so I can get it in October, however, something weird happened to me the other week. When I went to the store to see if any of my other books I ordered have arrived, they said Real Vol. 2 is here. I had to actually check out the book and sure enough, they had in fact Vol. 2 already out and in English as well! It wasn't Viz verison, it was some other company. Does anyone know what company released Real at some point before Viz did? I didn't buy the book because I rather wait and get the Signature verisons so I wouldn't know.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
I picked up the two latest volumes of Monster two weeks ago, and after finally catching up with the series (Vols. 9-16), I regained my spark to continue reading this series. I'm more keen on reading the last two volumes ASAP when getting them now.

Yes, now would be the opportune time to starting buying Vegabond, as the earlier volumes don't seem to be too easy to find. I myself will consider it at some point, but I have enough on my plate already for now. =\

driverstart wrote:

I have a question. I preordered Real Vol. 2 so I can get it in October, however, something weird happened to me the other week. When I went to the store to see if any of my other books I ordered have arrived, they said Real Vol. 2 is here. I had to actually check out the book and sure enough, they had in fact Vol. 2 already out and in English as well! It wasn't Viz version, it was some other company. Does anyone know what company released Real at some point before Viz did? I didn't buy the book because I rather wait and get the Signature versions so I wouldn't know.

Maybe it's the Singaporean edition? I believe that a Singaporean company releases manga in English, if I'm not mistaken.

What store did you go to? Confused
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:

I have a question. I preordered Real Vol. 2 so I can get it in October, however, something weird happened to me the other week. When I went to the store to see if any of my other books I ordered have arrived, they said Real Vol. 2 is here. I had to actually check out the book and sure enough, they had in fact Vol. 2 already out and in English as well! It wasn't Viz version, it was some other company. Does anyone know what company released Real at some point before Viz did? I didn't buy the book because I rather wait and get the Signature versions so I wouldn't know.

Maybe it's the Singaporean edition? I believe that a Singaporean company releases manga in English, if I'm not mistaken.

What store did you go to? Confused[/quote]

I went to Barnes and Noble. I think you might be right. Even though I didn't look over the book much, I think I might seen the Singaorean on there somewhere.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Alright! It's a new month, so let's go over what is coming our way for Signature Line.

9/16/08:
Sumi: Vagabond Illustration Collection
Water: Vagabond Illustration Collection
Vagabond VIZBIG Edition Vol. 1
'
It's Vagabond month I see. Well, since I never bought any books from the entire series, its a perfect time to jump in now since I can get the VIZBIG verison with 3 volumes in it.

If you were to get one artbook, I recommend Water. I bought the Japanese release of these book over two years ago, and Water is still the best art book I ever bought.

Sumi is not bad either:

As for Vagabond itself, I highly recommend the original high production release over the "big" version just for the quality alone.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Uh, are we sure we aren't confusing Real for Slam Dunk here? Because that Singapore company (whose name currently escapes me) has released the latter in full, though I don't know about the former.

Anyway, looking forward to grabbing both Sumi and Water, just because I love Inoue's art that much.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oops, I'm sorry. I forgot to tell about the releases coming this month for Viz Signature line. Here's what is coming:

October 21, 2008:
Vagabond Vol. 28
Monster Vol. 17
solanin

October 28, 2008:
Real Vol. 2

Well, I've picked up solanin earlier today. Not bad, but I've only read the first chapter, so I can't make a great estimate on what I think. Also, due to money problems at my home, I'm restorting to having to sell some of my manga and a decent chunk of my anime. So, I'm not sure whether to sell either Cat Eyed Boy, Uzumaki (I'm thinking of selling it to a friend who likes the series), or solanin when I'm finished with it and if I didn't like it much.

On a pleasant note, Amazon has the official cover art for the english release of 20th Century Boys Vol. 1-2. They look decent. However, I don't get why Viz has to sell each volume of the series, including Pluto and Oishinbo, for $12.99. That's a waste of my money for series I'm interested in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10