• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That all said, I doubt this will have much appeal for anyone who isn't inoculated to anime rom-com bullshit.

The novels outsold Re:Zero in Japan.

Also, it was voted the most anticipated new anime of Summer 2024 at Anime Corner.

So clearly there's an audience, even here.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
That all said, I doubt this will have much appeal for anyone who isn't inoculated to anime rom-com bullshit.

Also, it was voted the most anticipated new anime of Summer 2024 at Anime Corner.

To be fair, the proportion of anime fans both in the West and in Japan who could be fairly be described as "inoculated to anime rom-com bullshit" is undoubtedly quite high.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

I never said it didn't. That line is a statement about how an individual viewer's personal taste might or might not sync up with what the show is doing. I didn't make any claims about its popularity or the size of the audience it might appeal to.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you'll find many people who can speak Russian better than Sumire Uesaka and are qualified to voice act in Japanese.

Russian is very difficult to pronounce, especially for native Japanese speakers. Russian contains many sounds that don't occur in Japanese. Also Russian vowels tend to reduce, something that doesn't happen in Japanese.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ruby doesn't even show up…
She literally showed up and spoke multiple lines this episode though.

Anyways, it's great to have Oshi no Ko back and firing on all cylinders for its uncontested best arc. Doga Kobo's craft is on full display and the characters are as charming as ever.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Alya Sometimes Hide her Feelings in Russian

Quote:
Combined with some promising secondary characters, like Masachika's childhood friend, who is either really into him or really into teasing Alya for her obvious crush,.

the answer to that is yes.

So i have only read the manga of it but i am starting on the LN this week and i am looking very much forward to it. Is it a simple story yes, but the characters are super fun, and it is done very well. This is the show i am looking forward to the most this season, and episode 1 gave me a huge smile.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Key:

Quote:
I always find it amusing when people make comments like this after only a tiny fraction of the season's titles (less than 1/8, in this case) have debuted.

Well, I did say "so far." I certainly open to (and hoping for) an upcoming slew of shows that I will like, or even just a couple I really like. They don't have to be masterworks, I'd just like a few titles I enjoy as much as I did, oh, Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy or Gushing Over Magical Girls or Aharen-San or Wasteful Days of High School Girls. A few shows like that and the season will seem a lot brighter. My Deer Friend Nokotan is probably the one I'm most pinning my hopes on. Or Narenare -Cheer for You!- as PA Works really knows it way around stuff like that. One semi-decent isekai would be nice, too.

If not, I guess I can dig in the thousands of blu rays I've bought and keep adding to while I wait for the fall season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian seems like it will be a fun time. There are plenty of cliches to be found like the childhood friend bonus going on strong and the panty flash that cannot be avoided. Besides those we have some solid characters that have actual distinct quirks and a bit of chemistry between them. It is also refreshing to have a mc that can talk to a girl or two without having a stroke. Finally, the animation looks rather nice.
ktarf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
As a romcom fan, I've come so accustomed to the poor production values found in the vast majority of those anime that I'm able to easily overlook them and still enjoy shows like A Condition Called Love or Angel Next Door. So I was truly amazed at the amount of effort and passion put into this Alya premiere, which really reminded me of how much of a difference it can make. God bless Doga Kobo, I'll be awaiting every episode.
L0ken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, somewhat disappointed with Roshidere. While production values were good, fanservice bits are spicy and interaction between Masachika and Alya were generally quite fun... but otherwise it's pretty normal, maybe above average slow-paced romcom filled enough clichés. I'm reading the source right now and honestly isn't impressed either, spoiler[ while there is some exploration of both MCs, series becoming more harem-like despite other girls having obviously no chance and most importantly - romantic progress between or MCs is reeeally slow. ].

And personally and more jarring to me is Summipe's (VA that I really like) Russian accent combined with some unnaturally written lines. It's of course commendable that she learned it in the past and has some experience beforehand, but for playing half-Russian MC with main gimmick being using language often - it's just too noticeable and somewhat cringy for my ears, since I'm a native speaker. Plus unfortunately turns out that said gimmick spoiler[ isn't even relevant or explored much in the source beyond surface level, it could be easily replaced with any other language/culture since there aren't anything specific involving choice of 2nd language.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
L0ken wrote:
Plus unfortunately turns out that said gimmick spoiler[ isn't even relevant or explored much in the source beyond surface level, it could be easily replaced with any other language/culture since there aren't anything specific involving choice of 2nd language.]

spoiler[It's relevant insofar that Masachika's grandfather was an avid watcher of Russian movies, and it was there that he learned the language. The plot hinges on that.]

Quote:
I'm reading the source right now and honestly isn't impressed either, spoiler[ while there is some exploration of both MCs, series becoming more harem-like despite other girls having obviously no chance and most importantly - romantic progress between or MCs is reeeally slow. ].

spoiler[I don't agree on 'harem-like', the pairing is well established. The girl teasing him the strongest is his real sister and it is just that, teasing. Why they hide that fact is from family drama in the background which will become more prominent in the plot going forward.]
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
L0ken wrote:
And personally and more jarring to me is Summipe's (VA that I really like) Russian accent combined with some unnaturally written lines. It's of course commendable that she learned it in the past and has some experience beforehand, but for playing half-Russian MC with main gimmick being using language often - it's just too noticeable and somewhat cringy for my ears, since I'm a native speaker.

That's usually how I feel when anime characters try to speak English - and Japanese schools are actually supposed to teach English. I've studied a little bit of Russian, and the phonology is very different from Japanese.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Alya looks fantastic. As expected of Doga Kobo. That OP's incredible.
Velorien

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
I don't think you'll find many people who can speak Russian better than Sumire Uesaka and are qualified to voice act in Japanese.

Russian is very difficult to pronounce, especially for native Japanese speakers. Russian contains many sounds that don't occur in Japanese. Also Russian vowels tend to reduce, something that doesn't happen in Japanese.

As a native speaker, I understand maybe half of what Alya says in Russian just by listening to the audio. Two thirds if I'm being generous. Credit where it's due, the phrasing is extremely natural (except one weirdly mistranslated line: the subs say "Again, it's Masachika" as the MC corrects totally-not-kid-Alya's pronunciation of his name, but what he actually says is "Yes, I know that I'm Masachka"), and I'm used to hearing much worse in anime. However, I'd never confuse Alya for someone who's been speaking the language from birth, even if only at home.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Weird to me that Ruby was almost entirely absent from the season premiere of Oshi no Ko. Like I get that in some episodes Aqua's gonna be the focus, while other episodes are gonna be Ruby episodes, but considering she's front and center in basically every piece of this season's promotional material, you'd think she'd have more of a presence here than narrating a brief recap of what her brother's been up to.

Well, nitpicking aside, it was still good for a set-up episode. I think I was prepared for a bit more of a bombshell here, considering how the S1 premiere went, but that's probably unfair of me in hindsight, so I won't hold that against it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14