• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Co-Produce Anime With Production I.G, Bones, WIT Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

Not big enough. Not potent enough. Has the spirit of what anime had and presented itself when it came into the mainstream years ago but holds itself back or isn't tapping into its potential further enough.

Overseas, there are animators and artists who have come from all over the globe to Japan and have even started their own animation studios at this point in time. That's saying something.

When it comes to stories of OEL creators, they lack the idealism and even the daring will to change the world, the kinds of themes and elements that anime has presented. They lack the drive to dare to stand in the face of life's harshness, oppression and prominent issues and present that in their own way. This even goes for facing one's own nation's issues at large, throwing all fears to the wind and going into the fray against all odds.

Another thing, we aren't talking about western animation. That will always be around. What I'm talking about is pure bona fide anime created with the same spirit, regardless of technique and method, and taken full force with sincerity.

Go the distance.
It's not a matter of a lack of drive. It's simply impractical for Japan to move a bunch of animators to America to take a risk on make some kind of OEL anime for the West that might end up failing when it's cheaper and more practical for America to just outsource to Japan while writing their own scripts or co-fund an anime production like they're already doing. I'm not sure what they have to gain from Japan animators physically moving to America.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
a) many don't find that concerning and b) many don't even agree that that is what makes anime uniquely Japanese. [...]
more anime like Netflix is making is more likely to gain more non-Japanese fans, and Netflix just making the kind of anime you fear will be lost is what would likely lose an entire generation of anime fans.[...]
shows like Eromanga-sensei and Ryuo's Work still get produced and sell very well - in the case of the former at least.

I understand that most people are not hardcore anime fans, but only casually interested. It's the type of people that praise Ghibli for making wonderful anime. There exists a wide gap between those people and the hardcore audience, which is fine. I understand that.

My understanding of anime is, that it is not supposed to be for most people. When you and I talk about "an entire generation of anime fans" we both mean very different people. Your belief that Eromanga-sensei and Ryuuou no Oshigoto somehow qualify as Lolicon is proof of that. No, those shows ain't Lolicon. Eromanga-sensei doesn't even have a Loli character. The last attempt at a Lolicon anime was Mujaki no Rakuen in 2014.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Are you saying Naruto isn't Japanese, or people who like Naruto aren't real fans?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
So when people in the 90's/00's said they liked DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Gundam Wing (or G), Digimon, Voltron, Big O, Speed Racer, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, or Lupin 3rd etc,

Those people would not either be anime fans or become fans by watching any of those shows?

I'm saying not even Ghibli qualifies as "anime" anymore. Maybe calling it "otaku anime" instead makes what I mean more clear. I think of "otaku anime" as "anime" and everything else as "not really anime but still kind of anime". Ghibli is for casuals. So is Naruto and so is One Piece. And a bunch of others.

There used to be a path for casuals to become hardcore. That path was opened through the internet and fansubbers. My fear is that Netflix will contribute to closing that path for Western audiences.

I understand that casuals do not share this concern and that most of you guys here are casuals. I just wanted to contribute my point of view to the discussion and elaborate on why I do not like Netflix embracing anime.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's not a matter of a lack of drive. It's simply impractical for Japan to move a bunch of animators to America to take a risk on make some kind of OEL anime for the West that might end up failing when it's cheaper and more practical for America to just outsource to Japan while writing their own scripts or co-fund an anime production like they're already doing. I'm not sure what they have to gain from Japan animators physically moving to America.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2017/12/24/general/foreign-anime-artists-still-face-long-haul/#.Wn8gBudG2Ci

It's possible (I might be breaking my stand against Japan Times, but this is one of the few articles that isn't hackanine.).

Also I meant that metaphorically, but that's a tendency I have. The process is right, but still...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I guess while we're still here. Sakugablog wrote a reasonably good article in regards to Netflix's involvement in the industry. It's important to remember that it isn't all negative, and it's not as if Netflix is making things actively worse, it's more simple disappointment. Netflix hasn't really made the changes that people claim they have, or hope they do. Things with the conception of this new deal could change things, and new changes with Netflix's involvement have continued to change things, but to-date, the only benefit we've seen with any Netflix-licensed shows, is a marginally better schedule with LWA, Devilman Crybaby, and B: The Beginning. Yet those appear to not really be due to their involvement as much as other factors.
Other things like the more lax content requirements, and slightly more creative freedom are also good, but they don't really help most staff in any meaningful way at this point.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/02/09/lets-listen-to-anime-creators-for-once-netflix-is-no-savior/
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I guess while we're still here. Sakugablog wrote a reasonably good article in regards to Netflix's involvement in the industry. Other things like the more lax content requirements, and slightly more creative freedom are also good, but they don't really help most staff in any meaningful way at this point.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/02/09/lets-listen-to-anime-creators-for-once-netflix-is-no-savior/

That was a most insightful read. Thanks. I hope that isn't the most likely case.... but knowing reality, that is the most likely case. Not even including things such as creative control and global interest, payment and work scheduling for the anime industry still is a gauntlet of a grind, and if that doesn't improve, I don't think the industry will flourish in the future. Remember this: Netflix is also a company, and they are looking out for top dollar, and that means holding themselves in the highest regard before anyone else.
#hiepent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
I like the anime that Netflix has acquired in the past and the little bit of original stuff they have produced so this announcement is good news, for me.

My website: http://operagarden.vn/5-Best-French-Restaurants-in-Hanoi
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that one of Wit's most anticipated shows, Vinland Saga, ended up on Amazon Prime. You'd think Vinland Saga would be precisely the kind of show that would interest Netflix.

In general, I've found the anime that appear as exclusives on Amazon superior to those on Netflix. Most seasons I'm watching two or three shows on Amazon and one or none of those on Netflix. I think the last Netflix show I watched was Violet Evergarden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8