• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why this didn't occur to me before, but I wonder if Touya is supposed to be sort of a sly jab/homage to Kirito from SAO? The both look similar and Touya's white coat is reminiscent of Kirito's black one. I wonder if Touya's over-the-top overpoweredness is a reference to Kirito?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
@Chrono1000 There was more fanservice but it seemed pretty light to me. Compared to say NTR or Hajimete no Gal, that wasn't much. You can certainly find fanservice involving a 12 yo disagreeable (yes Yuminia you are still growing. You're 12).
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The fanservice was light but it was a huge increase compared to the first episode and it now includes Yuminia. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt but now that it has crossed that line I am disappointed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The fanservice was light but it was a huge increase compared to the first episode and it now includes Yuminia. I try to give shows the benefit of the doubt but now that it has crossed that line I am disappointed.

Certainly there has been a material increase, but I don't know that that means that is the new norm. Now that the slime episode has been gotten out of the way, I don't know that the fanservice will continue at the same level going forward. I thought the scene where Touya uses a spell and sees through the wall to see Linze was more fanservicey than anything the slime castle scene. That being said, I have no issue if the show has crossed a line for you. I may not have had the same reaction (I've seen worse, even on the issue of fanservice involving a 12 yo, even just last season) but I can respect your opinion. I don't like the show enough to be worried if it loses fans.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
Oh the same easily offended with no sense of humour nonsense plaguing this series since the introduction of Yumina's affections for Touya... Pointed out and moving on to better things.

And I did say the smartphone is OP, and should be discussed more. It's in the fricking title after all.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
I expected a fanservicey episode like this so, while this episode was definitely the most fanservice-focused episode so far, it was still in line with my general expectations and thoughts concerning this show's content. It wasn't a massive leap or anything in my opinion. The jokes about green slimes and Yumina's bust were kinda lame but have to say that I laughed out loud when they burned the whole castle down. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised people haven't pointed out that the first upgrade the phone received over basically just being a map is being a better map ^^;

As is my wont with this being really only the second series after Danmachi where I've experienced the anime and the source essentially at the same time...

Noticeable changes are that they skipped Touya getting green slimed. They yet again skipped over armour shopping (Linze buys two pairs of gaunlets with different enchantments so she can mix and match). They skipped him learning the Reading skill from Charlotte (who really has had short shrift in the anime; she doesn't have much of a presence in the LN but she does have character).

I'm not sure either the anime or the English LN make the issue over understanding spells particularly clear (but from the LN I gathered that they are literally just speaking them phonetically without knowing what they mean), but I assume it is playing on that very LN trope of spell names being spelled out in English in furigana and are either either somehow actually in English or are being translated for him the same way the common language of this world is.

zrnzle500 wrote:
the scene where Touya uses a spell and sees through the wall to see Linze was more fanservicey than anything the slime castle scene

The odd thing there is that that basically added extra fanservice; in the novel she was out when he started experimenting and when she came in and started taking her clothes off he shut it down pronto. He also acknowledged that with this skill for voyeurism and apport for pickpocketing etc he was collecting a lot of crime-related skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The fanservice with Yuminia was creepy but as others mentioned that Touya seemed to be aiming for it made it even creepier. It made Touya look like that was his goal and that they are adding fanservice to the anime reminds me of what happened with WorldEnd. The makers of the anime decided that to sell it they needed it to be more ecchi. The part where they burnt down the castle was funny and for the most part I like the comedy in this show. It is just that I thought this show would be a light hearted fantasy adventure and after this episode I have no idea where it is going.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The fanservice with Yuminia was creepy but as others mentioned that Touya seemed to be aiming for it made it even creepier. It made Touya look like that was his goal and that they are adding fanservice to the anime reminds me of what happened with WorldEnd. The makers of the anime decided that to sell it they needed it to be more ecchi. The part where they burnt down the castle was funny and for the most part I like the comedy in this show. It is just that I thought this show would be a light hearted fantasy adventure and after this episode I have no idea where it is going.

Toyota wasn't aiming of Yumina specifically to be naked. He's just reacting like any other male teenager at the idea of naked girls.

Still light-hearted, unless you take it too seriously. In the end, it's all a matter of perspective as usual. But really, all this nanny-like attention on Yumina is... not wasting my breath.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The fanservice with Yuminia was creepy but as others mentioned that Touya seemed to be aiming for it made it even creepier. It made Touya look like that was his goal and that they are adding fanservice to the anime reminds me of what happened with WorldEnd. The makers of the anime decided that to sell it they needed it to be more ecchi.

The only added fanservice that I recall was the Long Sense bit. The rest was all in there and Touya had been hoping to encounter green slimes since he first heard of them (the girls had previously turned down a slime subjugation quest twice in the LN).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It's worth a note that the slime part was a side story in the novels and doesn't really have much relevance to the main story, other than the fact the girls were apprehensive to slimes even before it...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
EmpyreanBlaze wrote:
Toyota wasn't aiming of Yumina specifically to be naked. He's just reacting like any other male teenager at the idea of naked girls.

Still light-hearted, unless you take it too seriously. In the end, it's all a matter of perspective as usual. But really, all this nanny-like attention on Yumina is... not wasting my breath.
When it comes to fanservice I am usually shouting about free speech from the rooftops. Still similar to certain types of entertainment I think there should be a minimum age to it. There is a vocal puritanical movement against fanservice and to be clear my only issue is that Yuminia is included in it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 6; For anyone complaining about Yumina's age, her cousin's actually younger than her. (novels)spoiler[And later in the novels the other girls actually consider it set in stone Sue will join them at some point down the road. Makes sense considering how much key art there is of her...]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
The background images of the burning village were really good.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Ep. 6; For anyone complaining about Yumina's age, her cousin's actually younger than her. (novels)spoiler[And later in the novels the other girls actually consider it set in stone Sue will join them at some point down the road. Makes sense considering how much key art there is of her...]
After episode 5 when my faith in humanity crashed against the rocks of cruel reality I am now much better prepared for this show. Of course Yuminia wouldn't be the youngest member of Touya's harem and I am guessing that the only reason that his entire harem didn't go on the trip to the slime castle is because there will be even worse locations in the future. I do find it strange though that this show is so inconsistent with the fanservice and episodes 1 and 6 have none.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12