• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
As always, I have to wait for the weekdays to catch up to the new season premieres. Not a lot out yet so it didn't take long

Katsugeki/Token Ranbu: Pretty neat fights, the look is great and it was interesting that they first gave us a bit of these two characters -I assume they'll be the protagnists for this incarnation-. I hope they add more pathos into the potential relationships related to the swords' historical owners -like the insinuations between Kane-san and Mutsunokami-. Overall looks good but I hope they can keep the plot and character developments interesting so it doesn't bore me to tears like Hanamaru did.

Keppeki Danshi Aoyama-kun. Ngl I fell asleep 2/3 in. I think it wasn't as funny as it was trying to be. And there was something about the narrative structure that felt kind of wonky. I don't know, I think I'll give it one more episode but it felt like it didn't exploit its gimmick to its full potential like other similar shows like Sakamoto or Tanaka-kun have done before.

Isekai Shokudo
: I wasn't expecting much from this one based on the title, but it was a very unique and interesting first episode! It's definitely giving me the nice iyashikei vibe I was hoping for and the production looks very pretty. Definitely sold on this one, at least for now

Fate/Apocrypha:
Aside from the I suppose necessary exposition that was way too obvious and not very interestingly delivered, I thought it was fine. A-1 nailed the look pretty well and it at least got me interested in how the fights are going to develop and what kind of servants we'll see. The opening fight looked pretty sweet. I'm already dreading this Shiro priest is gonna bespoiler[ Archer/Emiya] but I hope it's just an unfortunate case of sameface

Kakegurui: Wasn't sure what to expect from this one. The visuals and the setup kind of make me think of some hentai OVA? Especially the first part, with the guy becoming a "dog" and wearing a tag. But I must admit the actual gambling part was pretty interesting to watch. I think at this point it could go either way, especially in how they present the relationship between the main girl and the milquetoast guy, but the premiere at least was interesting
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Silly question, perhaps I missed it - is Kagegurui legally streamable anywhere yet?

So far Token Ranbu is my favorite premiere. I'm always down for pretty boys fighting stuff, and the beautiful animation and actually-followable story and character rapport definitely adds to it. I checked out a few others, no big bites for me personally yet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Silly question, perhaps I missed it - is Kagegurui legally streamable anywhere yet?

Nope not yet. They haven't announced it yet but it seems Netflix will have it.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Wingbeats wrote:

Nope not yet. They haven't announced it yet but it seems Netflix will have it.

Thanks for the info. I'm losing track of what to watch where, lol! I'll keep an eye out Smile
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Quote:
Love & Lies is a premise that smacks of questionable ideas and the discussion of genetics et al felt pretty uncomfortable in a way I don't think they really considered. It also seems to be going for the least interesting angle for its conflict - surely there's a more pressing or engaging story to be told within this show's world than that of a guy having to choose which beautiful girl he'll fall in love with? I might stick around just to see if it can do something more interesting with all this, but my expectations are low.

The very first thing that sprang to my mind upon hearing the premise is "what about gay people"? But it's not a surprise the show didn't go that route.

Surprise!! I will not spoil you about the content in the story but gay people are part of the plot of Love & Lies, at least in the manga. I hope they don't change it in the anime.

Oh, really? Glad to see then that they actually DON'T ignore the elephant in the room there. I too hope the anime keeps that. I'll probably add it to my watch list then, I was already mildly curious, and there aren't a huge amount of anime this season that interest me so far (that aren't on Netflix or Anime Strike at least) anyways.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
While I have not read the manga, what I like about "Love and Lies" is that the 1st kiss was left uninterrupted. The cell phone ringing happened after they kissed and not as they were about to kiss.
dash56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
I don't know what it is about this season but I now have a mighty craving for bananas:wink:
skerllyfc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
So the Amazon shows won´t be discussed here or what? Because I see no Welocme to the Ballroom post in the guide. And I also say it because the Amazon shows of the last season were(and some are still) being discussed here. I just wanna know. And yes, I know Netflix-selected shows are not discussed here until their release.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
skerllyfc wrote:
So the Amazon shows won´t be discussed here or what? Because I see no Welocme to the Ballroom post in the guide. And I also say it because the Amazon shows of the last season were(and some are still) being discussed here. I just wanna know. And yes, I know Netflix-selected shows are not discussed here until their release.

While Welcome to the Ballroom premiered at AX, the broadcast doesn't start till this weekend, and the first episode will be streamed on Saturday. It will be previewed then. They do have a report on the first episode that premiered at AX as well.

An Amazon show has been previewed here actually. Love and Lies, at least in the US (and Canada?), is on Amazon and was previewed as you can tell. Dive will presumably be previewed today after it streams.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The world of Love & Lies has to be more nightmarish than what the show will actually show. Selection based on genetics, caste, position in society fails to account for other more important features of marriage.

The hidden sociopath or abuser could be a problem. But I guess the law will deal with them?

I agree with you that the concept wouldn't work well in reality. What I find interesting is that, in many Asian societies today, a lot of people still go on blind dates arranged by their families to find a spouse. People going to those arranged dates usually marry a person from similar socio-economical status, family and educational background, since they are likely to have more in common in terms of lifestyle and values (they marry their spouses without necessarily loving them). That is actually very similar to the concept of government arranged marriage in the show. That means if you are a man from a low social class without much education, you will be arranged with a women of similar quality. They will not give you a princess. Also the government probably also takes into account genetic compatibility. That could make the idea "sound" more scientific.

I think that's why the manga author doesn't think it's a serious issue to create a world with arranged marriage, as many Asian cultures still to some extent accept this idea. Of course, as you said, a lot of men who have difficulty to find women (usually losers) will welcome this idea. Isn't that the reason why the government wants to arrange spouses for them - it wants as many people to get married as possible to raise the birth rate. Japan's low birth rate is thought to be due to not many people getting married anymore. I am sure those who aren't able to get married include a lot of losers who can't find anyone or men/women without enough income to support a family. That's an issue of Japan's society today.

This manga is probably also a wish fullfilment for male losers - if there weren't this premise, the guy wouldn't have a harem.

Last edited by ice_tea on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:06 am; edited 4 times in total
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
On top of three of last seasons continuations (Re:Creators, Virgin Soul, MHA), these are the other shows I ended up watching. I didn't even realize that the bigger shows (Ballroom, Altair, Made in Abyss, among others) haven't premiered yet. I sat and watched the shows that caught my attention, and listed them below:

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu: I'm fresh to this franchise, but the fact ufotable is behind the animation caught my attention. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would; and I wasn't planning on watching it, but I am now. I enjoyed the character interactions, and I'm curious to see which direction it goes. Will watch, may drop.

Kakegurui: WOW. At first I thought the premise was weird; a school with gambling? It wasn't my thing. But something about the faces and expressions caught my attention, so I was caught by surprise how much I was caught up in it. Watching.

Fate/Apocrypha My only real experience with the Fate series is watching the UBW show as it aired, so I was kinda considered not watching this show. I actually enjoyed this little 'set-up introduction' (I had no idea Mordred was in this). I'm looking forward to watching this especially since, unlike UBW, I won't be spoiled.

Symphogear AXZ God I missed this show. (still praying for CR to announce this already...) Watching.

Love and Lies: I got just about halfway through before I gave up. Like others mentioned, it felt exactly like the novel 'Matched' (which I could barely get through five chapters of). I feel that this series can deal with the 'gov't choosing your partner' better than Matched, but if it does, I won't bother watching it.

703X: As someone who has participated in quiz bowls, seeing this happen is awesome. As long as it stays away from the underwear jokes, I'll be looking forward to seeing this. I had no idea the girl character was voiced by an idol, though. Her performance was noticeably off, but I had no idea it was an idol. Will watch, may drop.

Restaurant to Another World and Yokai Apartment look interesting (especially Restaurant), but they may turn into shows I binge in a day once the season ends. Aoyama-kun isn't my cup of tea; same with that matchmaker show.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You can dislike her as a character but let's please dispense with the facile arm chair psych 101 diagnosis.

Hey now, my arm chair is frakking luxurious (Italian leather suckah), and my diagnosis is the cultivation of years of hard work and study....and alcohol. So take your poopoo attitude elsewhere sir. Tanya is just misunderstand and had luck against her from the start anyways. I mean being the illegitimate love child of Integra and the Major is sure to make anyone a bit off their rocker. That may not be true but now you're imagining it.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
SAIYUKI RELOAD BLAST is everything I liked about the first two seasons of the Anime but it feels like it is stuck in a time warp as it still feels like an early 2000s show. Not bad just like nothing was updated from a design standpoint. Although I think it has to have more than nostalgia going for it to really pull in viewers.

Love an Lies looks bad from a design stand point and I'm already going to be reading the Manga so watching the Anime of it seems superfluous.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Psycho 101 - Laughing

You're not going to believe this, but it was only when I typed psych 101 for that post that I *finally* figured out how you came up with your username. Yep, Quick Draw McGraw, that's me.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
SAIYUKI RELOAD BLAST is everything I liked about the first two seasons of the Anime but it feels like it is stuck in a time warp as it still feels like an early 2000s show. Not bad just like nothing was updated from a design standpoint. Although I think it has to have more than nostalgia going for it to really pull in viewers.

I agree. But for those of us that have that nostalgia, and actually re-watched all of the series in anticipation for this season (*raises hand* I'm not ashamed!), this episode made me more than happy! The little giggles I got from their party banter, and the fact that they are finally near their destination, makes me supremely overjoyed that this is animated. Also, I needed more Genjo Sanzo in my life. *nodnod*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 35