• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Burnout Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Any community without standards will collapse. It's why we have things like rules and forum mods. Or are you saying that the mods of ANN are unnecessary, and that it would be fine if they didn't exist? Of course not.

Basically what you're doing here is this:

"We needs rules of polite, civil and orderly conduct. Those rules are a type of standard. Thus, we need standards. [My bunch of elitist BS] is also a type of standard. Thus, we needs [my BS]."

It's a classic logical fallacy. Basically, you're arguing that because we need some standards (the rules) we need your standards. That's wrong. We do need basic rules of conduct. People need to be reasonably polite and orderly or the community would collapse. Hence ANN's rules and moderation. But that in now way entails that we need all this stuff you're pushing. You'll note that nowhere in the rules of ANN does it say "You better make sure you do some research about anime and know all the notable recent shows before you post here". That would be totally unnecessary. Whether a particular standard is necessary or simply pointless elitism depends entirely on what that standard is.

Chagen46 wrote:
But a lot of people in this thread are saying that even if someone is blatantly wrong (like that dude mentioned way earlier who asked AOA about Shingeki when Funi has it) or doesn't have a good base knowledge that trying to correct them or educate them means you're a "condescending douchebag".

No...running to the internet to complain about how they're not real fans means you're a douchebag. Even more so when you're doing this just because they don't know certain shows. It's perfectly possible to correct someone without thinking they're somehow inferior or doing something wrong for not knowing this stuff on their own.
billybob8476

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I too am currently suffering burnout at the moment. I spent about 3 years watching nearly everything that came out in streaming while watching back through older favorites. I was somehow able to CATCH UP ON ONE PIECE! Now I am watching only two simulcasts and also watching maybe one completed show. I will have to check out "bike show" when it completes. Hoping Bamboo will break out of her burnout. I also can't wait for the new version of the Stream.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
What...?

I never said you should just go "You don't know X? Lol you're DUMB"

Well maybe you should clarify. You said:

Chagen46 wrote:
There are "anime fans" in my school who didn't know what Madoka, Baccano, or TTGL were. Like...come on. Seriously. As the VP of the anime club there I sometimes find myself face-palming every time we meet up.

You make it sound as though you face-palm whenever you meet people who just aren't aware of a handful of titles that you personally know about. It's not like face-palming is the "polite", "correcting education" you seem to be switching gears to --- it inherently means that you're disgusted, and if your disgust stems from the fact that someone is lacking some trivial knowledge about something, of course that's going to make you sound like a "condescending douchebag." A nice guy corrects other people because they want to be helpful. A jerk does it because they revel in their own perceived intellectual superiority, rolling their eyes at someone else's "incompetence."

It doesn't help that you also said:

Chagen46 wrote:
And honestly, if you, say, watch only the big three and a tiny other bit of the "popular"...don't call yourself an anime fan. You may like anime, but you're not really an anime fan if your interest only goes on the surface.

The way I see it, having perceptions of "standards" when it comes to excluding people from your own subjective definition of "the fandom" makes it sound even more like you have a superiority complex. People without complexes don't spend their time thinking about "what does and doesn't constitute a fan" --- it's not like anime fandom is some sort of exclusive club that people can be separated into and out of. Besides, who would want to waste their time thinking about something pointless like that? What use is there in categorizing people between "real fans" and "posers", if not for some ego-stroking attempt at feeling superior to other people? That's the sort of thing kids do on the playground in elementary school.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast! I can relate in a sense.

I liked Bamboo's relation of it to PVRed shows. I have 2 seasons of CSI and I don't care to watch them. It used to be fun but now it does seem like a chore to go back and watch. Hope to read more from you soon bamboo Smile I love reading your stuff very much.

I look forward to your views on Fate/Zero Zac Smile it is a good show!

To the point on fans turning you away from a fandom, this is like that for me and some bronies. I'm an older collector of MLPof many years and lots of the new fans are making it hard to enjoy the new show at times. It is sort of sad really, but I push past most of it and just enjoy the show.

As for getting people into anime I find similar interests of what they like and go from there. Once you know what genres they like it is easy from there. I introduced a friend who likes anime to Clannad and she really liked it. We are both females that like shoujo, drama and romance. Just depends on what people like.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Strong World was decent. Had some stakes and some fun moments. Worlds better than Movie Z, at least, which basically bottled up everything I find tiresome about One Piece recently.

Omatsuri Island's the only one of the lot I go out of my way to revisit anymore.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
If I'm gonna be honest, I have to say that I think I'm probably at that "point of no return" burnout. Never say never, of course, but for the last couple years I'm lucky if I can find 1 series per season that I want to watch. It's usually that one title that is the nice combination of (suggested) fujoshi fanservice and mainstream appeal (see: Tiger & Bunny, Free!, Samurai Flamenco), and yet even those lately end up near the bottom of my week's "To Watch" list, under about 8-9 live action Asian dramas.

I don't know if it's because I'm actually in the target audience for many dramas (whereas anime overall tends to target the male audience) or that there's just a greater variety of topics (imo they're a bit less faddish than anime seems to be) but I've been watching live action dramas almost as long as anime but I've yet to burn out on those. Not even close. The same goes with manga-- still finding lots to enjoy in that medium. But anime lately has left me shrugging with that sort of, "Ehh, probably a lot of nothing I wanna see" feeling each new season.

P.S. Also I agree wholeheartedly with the (paraphrased), "F**k that true fan shit." Yes. F**k that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
Easiest answer as to what a fan should be is that there isn't just different definitions of a 'true fan', whatever that is, but also more than one fandom? Its obvious there are people who only watch more, only watch popular shounen action shows, etc. I'm not going to start with how everyones tastes are equal cause some fandom's are more highbrow than others, but it's maybe silly to compare things that are different to one another to begin with. Some people want in depth knowledge of obscure titles, others define a true fan by shelves of figurines, they will always be at cross purposes as to what fandom means. Different strokes for different folks.[/list]
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
One Piece has little to no filler, Zac. It's the way Naruto and Bleach should have done for their own series. The movies were somewhat filler and later, recap until Strong World. ( Which would have made sense if you had watched through Impel Down.) You can not skip. Do not skip. Once again it's an adventure anime not a show. You live it and grow with the characters. There is a reason it's still relevant.

You ,Justin and Bamboo blanket statement the hell out of shonen shows. I won't blame you I remember Mike said he watched some of Hunter X Hunter 2011. Check that out. It's worth your time.

Casuals are what drive this buisness, without them it would still be old bearded guys in fuku and Usagi Umino wigs with horrible bootlegs still trying to get........ casuals into anime.

What's a true fan? I've seen 1500+ titles out of ( script lines just from encyclopedia ) 9000 anime titles ever produced. I can't imagine any true fan has seen that much let alone can talk about each title.
ThisGuy010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
I generally avoid burnout as a fan by switching up genres. I will often switch back and forth between comedy, romance, fantasy, mech, etc... basically I try to avoid watching any similar anime right after one another.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
What's a true fan? I've seen 1500+ titles out of ( script lines just from encyclopedia ) 9000 anime titles ever produced. I can't imagine any true fan has seen that much let alone can talk about each title.

I don't think you can judge a fan based on the number of anime they have seen because there are so many things that can effect that number. If someone has to work to pay for a home and family, does that make then less of a fan because they don't have has much time as someone that choose's to live in there parent's basement and has all the free time in the world, no I personally don't think so. (My examples were not pointed at anyone they were just examples so please don't feel offended). This is why they said in the cast that there are no rules to fandom, there are only two version of fandom and they are simple. You either "are a fan" or "are not a fan".

Last edited by ThisGuy010 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't really experience burnout, or if I do, I'm not conscious of it, particularly because I do so many different things with my time that if I don't feel like doing any one thing at a particular moment, there are easily two or three things I could do instead.

Another part of it is that I'm not afraid of not being current with the "discussion" around currently-airing titles, particularly because the discussion that surrounds titles as they air is often very fleeting and infinitely less substantial and interesting than the discussion that occurs after they're done airing.

One thing that was mentioned that I don't quite agree with, however, is the idea that identifying as a fan is a negative thing and that the solution to that is to stop identifying as a fan. Now, if being a fan of anime, etc. is all that a person can identify as, that's an issue, but I don't think that being a fan, by itself, necessarily leads to toxicity and tribalism. It's a certain kind of mentality, particularly one that's amplified by anonymity and encouraged by the internet, that creates this environment. I feel like refusing to identify as a fan of a medium because a lot of other fans of that medium is the "nuclear option" so-to-speak. There are still a lot of us out here trying to make things better, promote actual discussion, and celebrate fandom. It's really a magical thing when nerds who are into the same stuff can get together and talk about nerd stuff, debate, discuss, and even maybe argue, while still respecting and validating each other as fans. That's how fandom matures, and that's something I like to see.

While I can respect that decision and I wouldn't want someone to stick around in something they hate to make to try and make it better at the expense of their happiness and sanity, I'd be lying if I said I don't get a little bit disappointed when I hear that someone's given up on fandom.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
ThisGuy010, I wish we had basements in Vegas. I would of made an otaku club or something.

That true fan crap is just a sure fire way to get forum users riled up. It seemed it still stuck with Zac when they recorded their podcast.
Raneth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think what some people don't realize is this:

Sometimes, when people watch things, in order for them to derive full enjoyment from it, they want to socialize with others about it. Watching an episode of Kill la Kill is great, but if you don't share that enthusiasm with someone else, the enthusiasm fades fast. There's nothing else to feed off of, I guess. Without other people to enjoy it, the enjoyment gets dampened, a lot.

Many people (myself included) don't know people IRL who watch anime. The people I work with act as though they consider liking anime a symptom of autism, so I don't dare even open my mouth about it. So instead, I hang out on forums to get my anime-inspired socialization. I'm sure many others who don't have friends IRL who like anime do too.

So if someone who gets a large part of their enjoyment out of anime from socializing about anime comes to a forum and gets sworn at, told they are a moron, or are not "worthy" because they want to talk about Bleach and don't know about Clannad or K-on, they are getting robbed of a good portion of their enjoyment of anime. And if they can't enjoy it, they see no reason to continue with it. For some, watching things alone just isn't enough.

Thus, burnout from jerks in the fandom.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not really suffering from burnout, just have less time in my new study (comp Sci. instead of Japanology).

I don´t think I will stop loving those cute moeblobs anytime soon, with all the happy smiling characters in them~ :3
Black_Kendoka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'm also one of those people that really enjoyed The Stream, but also wondered how Bamboo was able to do all that by herself. I hope the format modifications work out to everyone's favor!

Luckily, I've never had to go through an Anime burnout. There are a variety of choices through Hulu, Crunchy Roll, Netflix and, on the rare occasion, TV, so I'm guaranteed to find something that I like and I can easily switch shows or genres as I please. It helps that I can also get those old, crazy OAVs from the late '80s to early '90s with ease through the Half-Priced Books chain or stores around here. I have more than enough material to keep things fresh, but then also allows me to enjoy those tropey guilty pleasures from time to time.

However, I have been feeling overwhelmed as of late. There is just too much choice out there and, if I keep pressuring myself to watch them all, I think it would eventually lead to burnout. Unfortunately, being an adult and pursuing other interests really reduces the time I have to watch Anime.

Of course, to say that I haven't experienced burnout with Anime, doesn't mean that I haven't suffered from it at all. I would say that the burnout happened to me with video games in the early '00s. I would buy games, but then only play them for a few moments before I put them away and surf the internet or watch TV. Granted, there were a few games that I would play through, but it was few and far in between. I would say that playing Final Fantasy XII got me out of the rut by convincing me that I can still enjoy games if the environment is right, but it wasn't until I played Xenoblade Chronicles that I realized why I like to play video games. I would imagine that if I were to suffer from the same thing with anime, then I would have to do something similar.

All the BS that happens within the Anime community is very sad, but I think I can see why it's happening. It's human nature to want to be the top dog in the community, but the way people go about it is the thing that matters. Most people learn more information and gain new skills, then use that to better themselves and let the superiority be collateral damage and still remain humble. Then there's those that just try to force the issue and, in the end, just resort to knocking people down to change their relative position in society. It's that last group that people see most often and annoys the crap out of me to no end. Luckily, I have several friends online and IRL with whom I can talk about Anime with, so I can shield myself a bit from the community at large and the BS that comes with it.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
I don't get anime burnout per se. I have other hobbies/interests that are time consuming like reading history books. What usually happens is that one interest will have the spotlight and the others will be in the background, but I won't spend as much time on them as the one in the spotlight.

However, I will say that sometimes I thought I was going to have a burnout, but thankfully I find series that prevent that from fully happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9