• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
If you want to know why anime fans are sick of MLP, I present soundmonkey44 as exhibit "a". At the time of this post the thread had exactly 100 posts, of those just under TWENTY PERCENT are from soundmonkey44. If you tell me something you love is awesome, fine. If you're my friend and you talk about it often, ok. But if you're someone I know and you're CONSTANTLY in my face ranting about the amazingness of something it's only going to tick me off and turn me AGAINST the show that makes you so annoying. (if you think I'm an anime weaboo, fans of: Utena, Trigun and (to an extent) Cowboy Bebop have ALL managed the exact same feat)

You know what's really annoying and stupid? When college kids were tromping around in Akatsuki robes at say school or in the mall and screaming lines from the show. You know what's JUST AS ANNOYING 20-30 somethings (male or female) continuously shoving neon horses in my face. If the show is as good as you say, it can stand on its own and doesn't NEED constant defense (or evangelism). State your point, and then let others decide.

So by talking about My Little Pony In A Thread About My Little Pony, that makes me annoying....Okie Dokie Then. If you prefere we can talk about Animaniacs or Transformers: Prime instead, as those are also on the HUB TV Network. Maybe chat about some Sliders Re-Runs.

Also I don't believe i'm in your face ranting about anything, if you don't like the thread, just ignore it. *Kind of like how I ignore all the Sekirei threads at Funi Forums Anime hyper*
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I find this thread kind of amusing. This is my first encounter with that unique species of nerd known as Brony.

*prod prod*
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
You know what's really annoying and stupid? When college kids were tromping around in Akatsuki robes at say school or in the mall and screaming lines from the show. You know what's JUST AS ANNOYING 20-30 somethings (male or female) continuously shoving neon horses in my face. If the show is as good as you say, it can stand on its own and doesn't NEED constant defense (or evangelism). State your point, and then let others decide.

Sad I had the misfortune of actually seeing one of these in public. I don't have much experience with the brony culture but I do get that that evangelism feel from them when I do see them. It's really bad how there's so many groups of them who video tape themselves going through public places like schools, malls, or restaurants with a sound device blaring music and singing along in a group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvd6XuB_gGI

I get that you might like the show but that is really nothing more than being disruptive and rude to everyone around you. Confused If it's your house that's fine but it's a public place that is really borderline criminal in disturbing the peace or whatever and annoying to us. I think you give up any rights to not be judged if you do stuff like that and not to mention it's a terrible way to represent your fandom. I have to agree with that top Youtube comment in that it really seems like a need for attention by saying how you're better than someone because you like a show for little girls.
Jonny Manz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I don't know, I find this thread kind of amusing. This is my first encounter with that unique species of nerd known as Brony.

*prod prod*

Stop it, I'm ticklish! Hee hee Laughing
Wyvern wrote:
*snip*

I know this is kinda late, but I wish I could reach through the Internet and give you a big hug

BonusStage wrote:
*snip*

Not all of us are like that; I mean, I have only been to one event, the launch of the comic, because Katie Cook and Andy Price were signing the issues right then and there at my local comic book store in Anaheim (the line to get to see them took nearly three hours - so worth it though), and sure, some people were playing music, but it was quiet (and nobody was obnoxiously singing the lyrics or anything like that); for the most part, it was just people conversing about the show, famous fan works, that sort of thing. It was awesome.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this is any more annoying than any other niche fandom.

The Hub plays Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: TAS and Batman Beyond, so it's got my love even if I'm not a fan of its original shows. I wonder what's holding them from getting Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited, though. I missed those shows when they first aired and I'd love to see 'em.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Sad I had the misfortune of actually seeing one of these in public. I don't have much experience with the brony culture but I do get that that evangelism feel from them when I do see them. It's really bad how there's so many groups of them who video tape themselves going through public places like schools, malls, or restaurants with a sound device blaring music and singing along in a group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvd6XuB_gGI

I get that you might like the show but that is really nothing more than being disruptive and rude to everyone around you. Confused If it's your house that's fine but it's a public place that is really borderline criminal in disturbing the peace or whatever and annoying to us. I think you give up any rights to not be judged if you do stuff like that and not to mention it's a terrible way to represent your fandom. I have to agree with that top Youtube comment in that it really seems like a need for attention by saying how you're better than someone because you like a show for little girls.

I can agree on that, doing something like that is going much to far, and as Heero said weather its Naruto fans dressed up as Akatsuki or Bronies balring music, its just in bad taste, I would never do something like that. Most I ever do is wear my Derpy Cap and on occasion one of my MLP T-shirts. I do think its important to note though just because a lot of fans make a big deal of it online doesn't mean the majority will do something like that in real life *at least not outside of the conventions Anime hyper* Some fans *Be they Anime fans, Bronies, etc* do still have some tact & common sense. *Thankfully*

@Agent: I believe the reason the HUB doesn't have JLA yet is because Saban is airing it on their Vortexx Saturday morning TV Block. I'm sure HUB would love to get it if they could. And yes I agree its a pretty fun network, if your a fan of Hasbro Properties & older Warner Bros. Cartoons, its practically heaven!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The Hub plays Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: TAS and Batman Beyond, so it's got my love even if I'm not a fan of its original shows. I wonder what's holding them from getting Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited, though. I missed those shows when they first aired and I'd love to see 'em.

I make fun (or used to make fun - it's pretty passe now) of Bronies all the time on Twitter but that's mostly because they're easy targets and I'm kind of a dick - not really stemming from any particular hatred for the show.

The only thing I'd say about Bronies that makes them a bit worse than your average obsessed fan is that they've completely co-opted the show's presence, fanbase and visibility on the internet. The problem here is that the show was designed for little girls, and is still primarily sold to little girls (with some pandering thrown in to make the Bronies happy and thus keep their wallets open). So if your 6-year old goes on, say, Youtube and types in 'My Little Pony' they're going to pretty readily be exposed to just how corrupt and often disgusting Brony culture can be. Hell, the show's Reddit community shows up on the first page of Google results, and I can tell you if I had a daughter who liked the show I sure as hell wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brony community.

I get that it's the parent's job to be vigilant about what their kids see online, but that this thing that was intended to (and any rational person looking at it would conclude it certainly is) be for small children, and that typing it into any search engine gets you a mountain of Brony perversion is depressing and must be frustrating for parents out there.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Neat. Hope that they get someone cool for Discord (thinking in the Takehito Koyasu / Norio Wakamoto stable of VA) and that it doesn't spawn a million awful images on Pixiv.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I make fun (or used to make fun - it's pretty passe now) of Bronies all the time on Twitter but that's mostly because they're easy targets and I'm kind of a dick - not really stemming from any particular hatred for the show.

The only thing I'd say about Bronies that makes them a bit worse than your average obsessed fan is that they've completely co-opted the show's presence, fanbase and visibility on the internet. The problem here is that the show was designed for little girls, and is still primarily sold to little girls (with some pandering thrown in to make the Bronies happy and thus keep their wallets open). So if your 6-year old goes on, say, Youtube and types in 'My Little Pony' they're going to pretty readily be exposed to just how corrupt and often disgusting Brony culture can be. Hell, the show's Reddit community shows up on the first page of Google results, and I can tell you if I had a daughter who liked the show I sure as hell wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brony community.

I get that it's the parent's job to be vigilant about what their kids see online, but that this thing that was intended to (and any rational person looking at it would conclude it certainly is) be for small children, and that typing it into any search engine gets you a mountain of Brony perversion is depressing and must be frustrating for parents out there.

You make a very good point Zac. Yeah I won't lie sadly like every other fan base theres people out there that think its fun/funny to take the thing they like and add gridmark or perversion to it. Personally I don't care for all the dark fan-fics or Pony R34 out there myself, but theres little I, or any of the Parents Or Bronies against it can do. *Who ever invented that rule for the internet needs a good kick to the shins*

This is something equally annoying within the sonic fanbase *Google Safe search my flank*

But yeah, i've never interacted with the Reddit MLP Community *Not sure if I want to* But at the end of the day perversive fan material can be found in pretty much any fan-base/community *Although I do agree like with Sonic theres far to much of it in MLP* And it is sad parents and children alike will have to put up with such on the internet.

But again there are good things to balance it out, you may laugh at me, but theres lots of beautiful none perversive or R34 MLP Fan-art, and lots of really catchy fan made music that can be enjoyed by anyone.

So yeah, just like with any fan-base/community you have to take the good with the bad.

And lets be honest, before the latest incarnation, not even little girls or Hasbro cared that much about the franchise, Not saying Bronies revived it by any means, no that was Lauren Faust & her amazing crew. But for quite awhile there Ponies were considered a cheapo toy/gift, little girls would much rather have Barbies, Bratz, or heck even Littlest Pet Shop Pets. Now the franchise has been revived and is even doing better in sales then the original did in the 80's not just because of Bronies, but because the intended demo is getting back into it as well.

So yes, we Bronies can be far to obsessive, and theres some that write stories far to dark or art far to perverse, for a cartoon about cute little ponies, at times it wants to make you curse, but in the end, despite our obsession, and insanity, we are really good folks, no worse then anime fans, whoovians, Comic, Movie, or sic-fi geeks. Yes like some Fantasy nuts we get far to involved and care a bit too much, but can you really blame us, when we live in such a crazy world to cling on to a cute little cartoon that brings us such happiness!?
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Since noones touched on this I guess it's up to me. One reason I'm really interested in seeing how well MLP sells to kids in Japan is the fact that little girls in Japan simply don't care about horses. This might seem odd to a westerner - I mean, all little girls love horses apparently, it's a trope of being a little girl. The little girl who wants a pony for Christmas is a staple in western entertainment. MLP was successful in its many incarnations due to girls inherent love of equines. And it's not just the one brand, looking at any girls toy aisle will show you lots of pretty ponies.
This just isnt a thing in Japan and it never really occurred to me until I actually went looking for some form of horse toy (long story) and couldn't find one -anywhere-. Not even in the toys r us megastore. Not even Japanese Barbie had a pretty steed you could buy for her.
I talked about this with my japanese friends because I'd never thought about it before, and they said that most Japanese girls would be scared of horses and a huge percentage would have never seen one. To wish for a pony when you live in an apartment just isn't something that happens in a country where a huge percentage of people can't even have dogs.
I hope it does go well, though. I'd like to see what exclusive merch comes out.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
@championferret

That was what I was thinking -- there's a kind of cultural appeal of My Little Pony that made it a big hit in America that won't transfer over in Japan, no matter how cute the characters look like.

My bets are My Little Pony in Japan will be a moderate success at best.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
And lets be honest, before the latest incarnation, not even little girls or Hasbro cared that much about the franchise, Not saying Bronies revived it by any means, no that was Lauren Faust & her amazing crew. But for quite awhile there Ponies were considered a cheapo toy/gift, little girls would much rather have Barbies, Bratz, or heck even Littlest Pet Shop Pets. Now the franchise has been revived and is even doing better in sales then the original did in the 80's not just because of Bronies, but because the intended demo is getting back into it as well.to cling on to a cute little cartoon that brings us such happiness!?

Actually the toys at the very least had a fairly decent collector fanbase, enough to support at leas to conventions worldwide prior to G4 coming about: UK PonyCon (no not B.U.C.K, UK PonyCon is older been around since 2004) and in the US the My Little Pony Convention and Fair, not sure how long it's been going but since at least 2010 and it still uses mostly G1 character designs to market itself.

As a Pegasister (female brony for the un-informed, though many female bronies just use the word brony too but I'd feel weird describing myself as a "bro") myself I never got into MLP before G4 but I was vaguely aware of the collector market and the pony customization market that has existed since the '80s.

As for how well the show will do... I don't know, I can't find the exact quote but I recall reading about a Japanese manga artist being invited at a fan event to make a Pony custom (it may have been Junko Mizuno who did do such a project in 2008 but I'm not sure) and she expressed surprise that we Westerners find ponies "cute" as in Japan apparently horses and ponies are not considered as such. As there is such a limited resource for land over there it isn't as practical to have as many riding schools and I think horses are mostly associated with military work and equestrian sports over there, the "ever little girl loves ponies!" phenomenon doesn't happen (not that that is universally true anyway, I don't really care for horses myself and never have).

EDIT: Ninja'ed
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
To wish for a pony when you live in an apartment just isn't something that happens in a country where a huge percentage of people can't even have dogs.

Heh, I remember watching a special feature on the Spirited Away DVD that really exemplified that, Hayao Miyazaki was trying to explain how he wanted Haku's mouth animated in dragon form and was comparing it to a dog's and all of the other animators were confused about the specifics and then when he asked if any one had a dog as a kid they all said they had cats. Also this is why turtles seem to be a popular pet in Japan, terrpins and the the like are really small.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
@Gracie: Oh I know theres always been a collectors market for it and fans of all ages even before G4, but it was more like the G.I. Joe collectors market, it was there but not as big as Hasbro's "Big Daddy" the Transformers. What I was trying to imply over all is that the latest incarnation has bumped it back up to the big leagues again, if that makes any sense.

@DR I agree, I think Moderate success is a good way to sum it up, obviously it won't get as big as Power Puff Girls did *heck PGG was popular enough to get its own Anime spin-off* But hopefully it can end up being half as popular.

Also, I had no idea Horses weren't cute in Japan.... Although I will say that makes sense, being a southerner i've been around horses off & on my whole life so I guess it would make sense for me to find them cute, kind of like how they find raccoons cute in Japan but many here in the U.S, find them to be a nuisance.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Neat. Hope that they get someone cool for Discord (thinking in the Takehito Koyasu / Norio Wakamoto stable of VA) and that it doesn't spawn a million awful images on Pixiv.

Fun fact: There are already 3,686 uploads tagged " マイリトルポニー" ("My Little Pony") on Pixiv.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12