• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Interest: List of Winter 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I don't know, the whole male surrounded by females screams "harem" to me, not Evangelion. At least with the way the show description was written.

Uuuuuuh, this isn't rocket science, man. If you read a brief description about only one male boy being able to pilot a mecha while the rest are female pilots, that doesn't ring ANY Eva bells at all? Really? I have no doubt the execution of Infinite Stratos will be different from NGE but to insist that there are no overtones AT ALL suggests a certain bovine mindset.

Okay, whatever.

What exactly does "bovine mindset" mean? I've heard lot's of interesting terms online, but I have to say that's a new one.

And honestly, look at this last line from the description.

Quote:
Which of course means an... intersting life surrounded by girls for this shy, unassuming boy.

That doesn't scream harem to you? Instead, it screams Eva?

I mean, there were only 3 main pilots in Eva! (Well, Rei was... Rei, but that's another story) Yah, two of them were girls, but 1 guy and 2 girls is hardly the same thing as what this show sounds like.

I'm not saying there won't be similarities to Eva, but to focus on that part and claim that it makes the series an Eva clone seems kind of silly to me.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you read a brief description about only one male boy being able to pilot a mecha while the rest are female pilots, that doesn't ring ANY Eva bells at all?

I don't know about Eva bells, but I certainly do hear Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure chimes in the distance. Laughing
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

What exactly does "bovine mindset" mean? I've heard lot's of interesting terms online, but I have to say that's a new one.

"Thinking like a cow."

Blood-'s assumptions are largely unfounded.

DavidShallcross wrote:
So, who's the audience for a Magical Girl show broadcast at 1:25am? Or, are Japanese little girls adept at and allowed to use the DVR?

Male otaku, obviously. We are living in the post-Nanoha age. And the scenario writer for the anime is someone most known for writing eroge.

PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Every time someone uses the term "wincest", I die a little inside.

Just as planned. Now I need to craft a similar term that does the same thing for "lolicon." Uh...loliconcordant?

Last edited by einhorn303 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

"Thinking like a cow."

That seemed the most likely assumption, but that also seemed rather insulting, and I didn't really see how my post warranted anything like that. I mean, seriously, it's a show about a boy at a prestigious all girls school for mecha pilots. I think I can be forgiven for thinking "harem+mecha" as my first thought. And based on some internet checking (which list "Romantic comedy" as a genre for the light novel the series is based on) I think my assumption was actually the accurate one. Time will tell.
Olivine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
And now, for something completely different:

Dragon Crisis has some interesting images on its website...
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Suite Precure: I've never seen Precure.

It's a continuity reboot this year, so there's no need to know anything about previous series. This is the perfect time to check it out. Wink
Olivine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
It's a continuity reboot this year, so there's no need to know anything about previous series. This is the perfect time to check it out. Wink

I plan on taking a look! The sheer amount of girliness may be too much for my ovary emulators, however.

On a semi-related note: I just started watching Kimi ni Todoke, and I'm having assassination fantasies toward Kazehaya. Anyone know if this is normal?
Like, me, in the bushes, with a high powered rifle.
He must die.
Not that he's not an enjoyable character or anything.
Also, I'm enjoying the series. Anime hyper
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to check out the first season of Kimi ni Todoke myself, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure I will one of these days, as I've heard a lot of good things about it. Makes me wish there was an official release of it in the US.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

"Thinking like a cow."

Blood-'s assumptions are largely unfounded.

Actually, I've made no assumptions at all (except for the one where I doubted IS's execution would be like NGE's). My original point is that I can understand where someone would be reminded of NGE based on the very scanty description of IS, whereas the Rancorous's point was that the comment was some sort of wild stretch. Sure, I get a harem vibe from IS, too, but that doesn't mean I can't understand why somebody would think of NGE in the context of a lone boy mecha pilot grouped with female pilots.

Now, if somebody said, "Hey, I saw this show about an ex-ballerina who masters operating these cool motorcycle-like mechas" and somebody else said, "Geez, you mean they're remaking EVA again?" THEN I would be puzzled.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
^ IS is absolutely nothing like Evangelion. Actually, nothing can be like evangelion unless it has psychologically impaired male lead or some sort of mindfuck. I'm sure someone was trolling.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
kitchiri wrote:
^ IS is absolutely nothing like Evangelion. Actually, nothing can be like evangelion unless it has psychologically impaired male lead or some sort of mindfuck. I'm sure someone was trolling.

You are missing my point. I've explained it very clearly above. If you still can't grasp it, I cannot simplify it any further so that you can. Enjoy your mystifying non-comprehension.
jeroz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
I haven't seen Mitsudomoe nor am I particularly interested in it. From what I've heard, the style of humor isn't my thing. Like, snot jokes and such.

yeah, for only like 1/3 of ep2 from all 13 episode.
The humour is more based around miscommunication, childhood brashness, dynamic character dominance, and just pure innocent fun. I'm kind of sick of the misconceptions sprout around in this forum regarding this series, as it's one of the funniest show I'd watched this season.

It's such a pity that it didn't manage to have a full second season.

other than that I'll be checking out fractale, Madoko Magica (with the writer of saya no uta at the helm, it probably wont be another generic magical girl show, which would be interesting to see how he tackles this aspect), hourou musuko (just the visual alone is enough to get me interested), IS (hit and miss i suppose) and Oniichan------ (seen one page of the manga, and it's outrageously facepalm-worthy hilarious)
other shows like GOSICK, KoreZombie and Yumekui Merry might worth my time checking out, but I am not holding my breathe.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
passer by wrote:
suite precure,mitsudomoe,GOSICK,mahou shoujo Madoka magica
FTW!!

loli FTW!!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I blame it all on the low birthrate. The idea of a cute younger sibling who looks up to you with dewy and calls you big bwutha and wuvs you so much! has an appeal, and because more and more young people in Japan are only children, they (1) don't get automatically squicked by the idea and (2) don't understand that little siblings are actually really, really annoying.

Wow, you know, I've known about the low birthrate and the various problems that have arisen from it in Japan for well... a very, very long time. But I have never thought about it from this perspective. You know what? It makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Whereas to me that notion seems incredibly facile. I caution anyone from drawing any sociological conclusions about a culture you are either not born into or do not have extensive firsthand experience with, and I especially caution anyone from spinning sociological theories based on products created for an incredibly niche audience.

No one is trying to prove conclusive evidence or universal truths with you, you twit. It is something that simply makes sense on a basilar level. In the last ten years very few of the foreign exchange students that I come over have had siblings, from my experience at least. It doesn't make it true, but it makes you think, right? You can think right? That's rhetorical, I know you can. I am not saying it is true, I am saying it makes sense on a 'topographical' viewpoint... from real life experiences. Again, not endorsing the idea, but think it may be a player. It may be part of the sociological demographic of a trending culture. It may not have studies, but to me the simplicity of the statement at least made it an option. Japan's birth rate deficiency is not only well documented, but I have seen it in by students being a single sibling for years, and in the majority. It is at the very least something that could be looked into, and not really outrageous.

As far as being "niché", look at the past 60 years and those words. How many of those trends became "mainstream" (or fairly popular).

Basically, don't be a spaz and over judge. It just leads to un-righteousness and pretentiousness accompiened by an overdeveloped sense of self-esteem that is based on one being heard.

Personally, I don't care, but I ignore your presence usually after I read the first three sentences. At the same time you have moments of brilliance, so take it as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I'm going to disown anime if this incest trend keeps up.

I blame it all on the low birthrate. The idea of a cute younger sibling who looks up to you with dewy and calls you big bwutha and wuvs you so much! has an appeal, and because more and more young people in Japan are only children, they (1) don't get automatically squicked by the idea and (2) don't understand that little siblings are actually really, really annoying.

The low birthrate thing may apply for Japan, but it doesn't come anywhere near explaining all of these Western/International fans running around throwing out the term "wincest"...

Except that it doesn't quite apply to Japan, either. What a lot of people seem to misunderstand is that birthrate and births per family are entirely different things. I'm certainly no expert, but, from the reading I've done on the subject, the low birthrate is much more due to the number of couples having children at all, not the number of children they have. More and more married couples are opting out of children altogether, but even worse, the number of people going unmarried altogether has been significantly climbing. (And children born out of wedlock is much rarer in Japan than in the west.)

But, for the couples that DO have children, it doesn't seem to be the case that they're restricting the number of births to lower than before. The information I've read seems to indicate it's been reasonably consistent - certainly nothing to incite the recent panic. But, finding information on the rising number of singles (and the expectation that they will never marry) is easy enough to find. (In fact, anime and games have come under attack as being a possible cause to this upswing in isolationism and "single life." And, being an adult otaku in Japan may carry a stigma, but that doesn't make it uncommon, and thus its assumed contribution towards this issue is not entirely without merit.)

Further, and I realize this comes from a small and biased sample, I routinely work with about 1000 students, and I'd say it seems that the majority of them have siblings. (A personal guess would be around 75%.) I'm much more surprised when someone is an only child.

As for "wincest" and incest's recent popularity, I'd suspect the reasons to be roughly the same in Japan and America. I've plenty of theories as to why, but I'll not derail this thread any further. I will say, though, that I don't expect these particular trends to disappear any time soon, if ever, without direct external censorship. But, Tokyo's attempting to do just that, so...

And regarding the new shows coming out, none of them are jumping out at me as "must watch." I'll probably wait for some reviews to come out and go from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14