• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok I just watched all 5 episodes and I have to say this is much better than Upotte. This one at least has a story plot with the characters having to deal with their own personal problems and I love the battles. I love how the concept is so wacky. I laughed when the shop keeper was glad that his shop got hit. The only thing I don't like is the german words in the fan subs, but I have watched enough anime to understand what they are saying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
If you watch the legit Crunchyroll stream, then you don't even have to worry about the German words. Glad you are enjoying the show, though. It's turned into an extremely pleasant surprise. I was assuming it was going to be another Upotte-style offering; I didn't really expect it was going to be so much better.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
The Commie subs have a no-fun-allowed track (subtitle track 2), if you need that. Haven't all of the German instances just been for simple words and phrases that you mentally register without even needing to read it? Do you need subs for "gomenasai" or "ganbare" at this point? Then you do have some German the girls actually say, like "panzer vor!" and "jawohl".

Upotte's problem is that it was more aimless, and I doubt I'd have enjoy it as much without Akio Takami's character designs.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
The only thing I like about Commie's subs over Crunchyrolls is that they call it panzerfahren instead of tankery. Everything else, while not annoying or bothering me, seems unnecessary. Oh, and they come out two days earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
I think both are terrible. It's like if someone had to choose between swordery and some french word for swordsmanship. Why not just use kendo? In the same vein, why not just use senshado? They say sensha like a thousand farking times in the show, it's not like it's going to blind-side somebody.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
What the hell does senshado mean? What the hell does sensha mean? I'm going to assume sensha means tank? Jesus Christ, please tell me you aren't whining that the subtitles use the word "tankery" instead of "senshado." If you are, then not for the first time I am profoundly grateful that subtitle title translators do not subscribe to your ridiculous mindset.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
What the hell does kendo mean? What the hell does ken mean? I'm going to assume ken means sword? Jesus Christ, please don't tell me you are whining about the subtitles using some B.S. made-up word like swordery which although completely retarded and doesn't at all have any meaning at least has the word sword in it so it makes me feel better since Glorious English is the only language that matters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ah, so you were stupidly whining, as I thought. One of your many deficiencies is that you have a leaden appreciation for humour. Tankery is a funny word and it actually, in the context of the show, makes sense. One of the things the show is having fun with is the idea that having tank battles is a great way for young ladies to become more refined and feminine. It's an absurdly funny idea. Using a term like "tankery" fits in with that idea. But in true sad little weaboo fashion, all that matters to you is that as many Japanese words as possible get shoved in English subtitles. Dude, why don't you just watch raws and be done with it? Rolling Eyes
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Sensha means tank, and so sensha-do (戦車道) is literally something along the lines of tank way. A better way would probably be "way of the tank", like how judo is "gentle way". So yea, in this case, sensha-do would be the more appropriate way to say it since it's more of a term than a word. I mean, you don't translate Judo or Kung-fu or Taekwondo, do you? The only problem is that sensha-do isn't real and isn't in the lexicons of English speakers, and so most don't know sensha means tank, but in this world, it's just as much a term as judo.

I guess, if you really wanted to localize it, tank-fu would've been better since adding "-fu" to the end of words to make them more martial-artsy is something we do a lot. Hell, there's a good example in the first line for Sentai's official synopsis:
Quote:
You may have heard of kung fu, but the girls at Oarai High School practice gun-fu - really, really BIG 75mm gun-fu, in fact.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Sensha means tank, and so sensha-do (戦車道) is literally something along the lines of tank way. A better way would probably be "way of the tank", like how judo is "gentle way". So yea, in this case, sensha-do would be the more appropriate way to say it since it's more of a term than a word. I mean, you don't translate Judo or Kung-fu or Taekwondo, do you?

TKoH, how many people do you think know that Sensha means tank compared to people who have heard the word Judo or kung-fu?

Hey guys, why bother having English words at all??? Why not just use all Japanese words in subtitles??? Wouldn't that be more appropriate??? Wouldn't that be more fun??? Rolling Eyes
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Did you know what judo literally meant before I said it? No, you just know it's that martial arts style that involves grappling.

Lets reword that.

Did you know what sensha-do literally meant before I said it? No, you just know it's that martial arts style that involves tanks.

As long as you know what sensha-do refers to, you don't need to know sensha means tank. And again, it's not a word, its a term.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, so you were stupidly whining, as I thought. One of your many deficiencies is that you have a leaden appreciation for humour.

On the contrary, I've laughed a great deal at GuP which is something to be expected from a Mizushima-directed comedy. Yukari sneaking into Saunders was hilarious as were the little edits to her footage. And then Kei just welcoming her back anytime and not even caring about the espionage was some great comedy.

In the GuP universe the tank simply replaced the naginata in terms of a weapon being used to embrace femininity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
@ TKoH - if the CR subtitles had used the term shenshado instead of tankery, I would have had no idea what they were talking about nor would I have giggled (a manly giggle, I might add) the way I did when I saw the word "tankery." That's the difference between pointless weaboo pandering and funny localization. I'm kind of surprised - you are normally more savvy about this kind of stuff.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
adding any change of language for effect isn't a big deal if the font stays the same but changing both the language and the font creates a time to read it issue and subs are timed to the conversations.

which creates a lagg in reading whats on screen this can detract from watching the anime itself only to focus on the text. in my opinion its a shity choice by the subers.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Of all three translations of "senshado" I know of, "Panzerfahren" is easily the worst. "Tankery", on the other hand, is more along the lines of "archery" and so suggests an actual discipline. "Tankwando" is hands-down the funniest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 30