• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No point to Druaga, since there probably aren't going to be many Crunchyroll users willing to pay extra for it on dvd...

Maybe not, but there will certainly be people like me who hate streaming and are definitely ready to buy it. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I can't believe anyone would have doubted Druaga's licensing. It's GONZO, and it's FUNIMATION licensing it...oi, fansubbers Wink

Regardless I bet most people don't know Druaga is based on an obscure old Namco arcade game

Now why would anyone fansub Druaga? It aired on Crunchyroll and YouTube! Druaga needs fansubs as much as a fish needs a bike!

Good to know they've got Blassreiter, too. Instant buy for me, along with Druaga! Smile

So FUNi's going to announce other acquisitions? Hmm...maybe we might see more Geneon rescues. (In which case, why stop there when there's former CPM, Super Techno Arts, Manga Entertainment, Synch-Point, and Urban Vision titles that could also use a good rescue?)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
OK, please keep bashing me because I don't approve of a clear violation of international copyright law. And I'M the idiot here.

With the recent rise of online streaming, there will be a day when fansubs are unnecessary, and should end. I do try to rent them or check them out from the library when I can, and it's become more and more available through those outlets. Hopefully someday fansubs will go the way of the dodo. In the meantime, though, I've watched enough series that started out wonderful and ended horribly that I believe the responsible use of fansubs (i.e. as previews, not as alternatives to buying series you like) is a necessary evil. We get the option of watching American TV shows and movies before buying them; we need some way of doing it with anime. And again, legal options are best and should be promoted.

There, that's my typical defense of fansubs. Cut and paste wherever the issue comes up. Wink

Quote:
Now why would anyone fansub Druaga? It aired on Crunchyroll and YouTube! Druaga needs fansubs as much as a fish needs a bike!

They actually don't fansub them. Those so-called fansubs just use the subtitles provided by GONZO online. That's a perfect example of irresponsible use of fansubs; clearly the only reason they do it is to avoid ever purchasing it. No serious fansub groups are doing any of those series, for precisely that reason.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
School Days was an abomination from hell, Worst anime ever created Dragonut is second.

Oh, come on. The ending for School Days made the show worth it.

Dragonaut failed at trying to be a sci-fi action series, but School Days suceeded pretty well at being a date sim adaptation with a minor twist.

And nothing is worse than Eiken.

Nothing.

I honestly can't say I'm all that interested in any of the titles here (Bamboo Blade, maybe), but FUNi has already made enough good accquistions, that I could care less about stinkers like Dragonaut.

I just find it hilarious that people are actually coming to the defense of Dragonaut (unit 3.5 etc). All I did was check a few blogs and I have no interest in it. There's a limit to optimism, and this is just one of those cases where everyone who has bothered looking into the series at all loathes it. That being said you've gotta wonder how much of a hit FUNi will take for licensing/selling it O-o

Hopefully they got it cheap.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a limit to optimism, and this is just one of those cases where everyone who has bothered looking into the series at all loathes it.

I already said I saw it and enjoyed it. <_< Don't care that I'm the only one. *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
@Z Princess
Ignore Unit, he's an idiot in regards to his stance on fansubs.

OK, please keep bashing me because I don't approve of a clear violation of international copyright law. And I'M the idiot here.

Yep because you lack common sense but I don't feel like arguing over this and you don't listen anyway.

In regards to Dragons, well the west does have a fascination with them but again I really don't think people are shallow enough to be dragged in due to that. Besides the word of mouth is so bad on this that I fully expect it to tank.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
School Days was an abomination from hell, Worst anime ever created Dragonut is second.

Oh, come on. The ending for School Days made the show worth it.

Dragonaut failed at trying to be a sci-fi action series, but School Days suceeded pretty well at being a date sim adaptation with a minor twist.

And nothing is worse than Eiken.

Nothing.

I honestly can't say I'm all that interested in any of the titles here (Bamboo Blade, maybe), but FUNi has already made enough good accquistions, that I could care less about stinkers like Dragonaut.

I just find it hilarious that people are actually coming to the defense of Dragonaut (unit 3.5 etc). All I did was check a few blogs and I have no interest in it. There's a limit to optimism, and this is just one of those cases where everyone who has bothered looking into the series at all loathes it. That being said you've gotta wonder how much of a hit FUNi will take for licensing/selling it O-o

Hopefully they got it cheap.

Considering I haven't seen it, a lot of bashing my kill it for people who might actually, honestly be intererested in the series and owning it. I don't know, but I can see why a reason why it was licensed. All this bashing makes it sound like a bunch of whining, like on rockbands forum. It goes like this "Funimation why are you releasing this [expletive Choose one], Why aren't you releasing shows that everyone [meaning poster]would like [proceeds to list off anime series that they would like]

As oppossed to saying, this series is not to my liking but I'm excited that it is coming out for those who've been waiting for it. hopefully they will consider these as well [lists series they would like]

One makes you sound like a jerk the other makes you sound like a reasonable person.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Funimation love Gonzo no matter what?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:

I heard the wedding is next week.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

They actually don't fansub them. Those so-called fansubs just use the subtitles provided by GONZO online. That's a perfect example of irresponsible use of fansubs; clearly the only reason they do it is to avoid ever purchasing it. No serious fansub groups are doing any of those series, for precisely that reason.

Then those aren't exactly fansubs. (Although they do use soft subtitles.)

I don't see why nearly everyone here hates Dragonaut, though. Seriously, why the hate?

If FUNi also announces any Geneon rescues, they had BETTER get Fushigi Yuugi, Paranoia Agent, Serial Experiments Lain, Fighting Spirit, and Kannazuki No Miko. I'll love them forever if they do. (Oh, and snatch Clannad and Princess Resurrection from ADV and give them the RIGHT treatment--bilingual audio tracks.)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
I don't see why nearly everyone here hates Dragonaut, though. Seriously, why the hate?

I think I addressed that a page or so back... I don't really hate it, personally. I got a real kick out of its awfulness, laughed a lot, I don't regret watching it for free (didn't keep a single episode, of course). Heck, if it was shorter, I'd recommend people renting it to do just that.

I notice that people who enjoyed it haven't come up with anything to defend it. What did you guys like about it?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
GeneralArrow wrote:

I heard the wedding is next week.

I saw studio DEEN picking out a bridesmaid dress.

I have a feeling this was one of those package kind of things though.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I think I addressed that a page or so back... I don't really hate it, personally. I got a real kick out of its awfulness, laughed a lot, I don't regret watching it for free (didn't keep a single episode, of course). Heck, if it was shorter, I'd recommend people renting it to do just that.

I notice that people who enjoyed it haven't come up with anything to defend it. What did you guys like about it?

Is this one of those "so bad it's good" shows in the same vein as one of their other mecha fests, Gravion? Or is it more so bad it's good in the vein of, um, children's card game shows?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Is this one of those "so bad it's good" shows in the same vein as one of their other mecha fests, Gravion? Or is it more so bad it's good in the vein of, um, children's card game shows?

It's mostly a case of "It's so bad that it's... bad, let's forget they even produced it, we'd be better off that way. To watch, or even think of this would hurt."
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

My guess is, it depends on the person. Like I said, I found a once-viewing to be hilariously funny (I would do my own running MST3K-style commentary as I watch it), but a lot of other people just couldn't stand it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17