• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I will be more careful in wording my responses so it does not seem as if I believe your standards are unreasonable, which I do not believe.

It's cool. I apologize for my defensiveness.
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:

On another note, the chase scene with Beetlejuice made me think of Subaru and Emilia. It feels as if, in the past, Beetlejuice was in a position similar to Subaru's, and Emilia in the Witch's, since he seems to have what looks like a one-sided obsession, kind of a "what it could have been Subaru" in a "bad end" of his story.
How desperate Beetlejuice is, chasing after the Witch he oh so dearly loves...

"Even if you have forgotten it". My mind went ten different ways when BeetleJuice said that. Not only did the witch seem to resemble Emilia in the little snippet we saw(probably because she is also a half-elf with long silver hair) but also BeetleJuice parallels Subaru, who seeks Emilia's love. On sentence,so many theories...
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Vongola Prim0 wrote:
Gistradagis wrote:

On another note, the chase scene with Beetlejuice made me think of Subaru and Emilia. It feels as if, in the past, Beetlejuice was in a position similar to Subaru's, and Emilia in the Witch's, since he seems to have what looks like a one-sided obsession, kind of a "what it could have been Subaru" in a "bad end" of his story.
How desperate Beetlejuice is, chasing after the Witch he oh so dearly loves...

"Even if you have forgotten it". My mind went ten different ways when BeetleJuice said that. Not only did the witch seem to resemble Emilia in the little snippet we saw(probably because she is also a half-elf with long silver hair) but also BeetleJuice parallels Subaru, who seeks Emilia's love. On sentence,so many theories...

Was it only me, or it sounded like Satella was voiced by Emilia's seiyuu? Because when she spoke, I immediately thought "dang, they are even using Emilia's seiyuu with a light distortion, they really wanna let us be sure through and through about the connection"
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
So can anyone explain what Otto's role in the last story arc against the Cult was?

I must have missed it, or the anime rushed through some source material.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I agree that this was a failure of a season finale. As this is an ongoing series, a proper was to have concluded the season wound have been with a game changer or cliffhanger ( though the latter is less preferred). Don't get me wrong, I've expressed my fair share of problems with Rezero, but I still enjoyed it over it overall. But, an ending like this has me thinking "Oh, that was a pretty good season. Wait, what's the point of this series again?" Nothing is made clear. No questions are really resolved, other than "A-ha! So you're the killer this time around!" And Emilia is left as little more than a trophy, even though she's supposed to be the main focus.

In the end, I'll also rate this GOOD. Some great thematic choices, but it relied a bit too heavily on its novelty and shock factor, and a lot of the dialogue was just terrible. And I can't end this without saying that the main characters are just bleh. Side characters (other candidates and their servants), on the other hand, were fantastic. They stole the show, imo.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Yea, I agree that this was a failure of a season finale. As this is an ongoing series, a proper was to have concluded the season wound have been with a game changer or cliffhanger ( though the latter is less preferred). Don't get me wrong, I've expressed my fair share of problems with Rezero, but I still enjoyed it over it overall. But, an ending like this has me thinking "Oh, that was a pretty good season. Wait, what's the point of this series again?" Nothing is made clear. No questions are really resolved, other than "A-ha! So you're the killer this time around!" And Emilia is left as little more than a trophy, even though she's supposed to be the main focus.

In the end, I'll also rate this GOOD. Some great thematic choices, but it relied a bit too heavily on its novelty and shock factor, and a lot of the dialogue was just terrible. And I can't end this without saying that the main characters are just bleh. Side characters (other candidates and their servants), on the other hand, were fantastic. They stole the show, imo.

While some of these critiques have merit, I have some questions. What do you mean it is ongoing? They have run through all the immediate source material, as while there is more material in the original web novel(s), the show is based on the LN, and the anime actually passed the LN in the last episode. Second, do you want more or less questions answered? You wanted a game changer or a cliffhanger, which would increase the unanswered questions, and criticized the show for not answering enough questions. Both are valid criticisms, just not simultaneously. Also ending on a cliffhanger/game changer would seem a bit reliant on shock value, something you criticized the show for. These are fair enough criticisms, even if I don't agree with all of them, but they cannot be held simultaneously as they are contradictory.

On an unrelated point, I must agree with featuring the final episode review at the top of the page. Definitely warrants it.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Yeah, but the thing that made this development so interesting early on was that the show stopped to consider it from Emilia's perspective. For the ending, though, it seems like it's all Subaru's perspective again.

Fundamentally, nothing has changed for Emilia in terms of her relationship to Subaru. He's still inexplicably obsessed with her, he's just not as stupid about how he communicates it. Why does she burst in to joyful tears this time?

Yeah, this is a fair bit of what worried me about the ending. For all the genre tropes R;Z has upset, finishing off season 1 with the protagonist 'winning the girl' by overcoming a bunch've obstacles did not feel in keeping with what drew me to the show previously. In particular, I winced when Emilia literally exclaimed through her tears to Subaru 'You saved me'. It was a great summary of where I was hoping the show would not take us...

I'm glad someone else is seeing this too. Someone elsewhere called the ending a "white knight's wet dream" and I have to agree. Sure, Subaru sees that his motives were bad, but his actions don't change and suddenly they're acceptable? The only difference as far as Emelia can tell is that this time his plan worked. Meanwhile, his actions have demoted her to a bit of pretty fluff without agency who thanks the one who ended up causing it. And it was pretty creepy that she didn't love him but he explained how he'd stay right there to make sure she would. Ew.

This was a great series. Just the amount of discussion it generated is proof they that it was special. The seiyuu deserve every award in the book for this. But for me the story faltered in the last quarter and brought the show down from the perfection it could have achieved. (And while I don't read the books, they were inadvertently spoiled for me, and I'm in the corner with those who think the book ending would have brought a needed dose of reality to the finale.)
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
So the anime is now actually past the LNs? I guess that means we will have a long wait for a second season, even though more WN material is available. I'm assuming they would want to wait until more LNs are available before animating more.
Commandant Klink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
So can anyone explain what Otto's role in the last story arc against the Cult was?

I must have missed it, or the anime rushed through some source material.

His entire purpose was to be a plot device to allow Subaru a way to save Emilia during the current loop without recycling again. Otto's special magic is the Divine Protection of the Wind, referenced briefly in episode 25, possibly earlier (though I'm not sure about this). It allows favorable wind pressure within the area of effect and allows you to travel in a comfortable way, be it straight down a sheer cliff face or across a rapidly collapsing bridge. As a result, Subaru is able to take a less than orthodox shortcut to catch Emilia before the magic stones have a chance to detonate as they did in the previous cycle. Furthermore, it can be inferred that the Divine Protection of the Wind is what caused Betelgeuse to be blasted back from the cart when he left its area of effect to catch the gospel.
kryslogan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
This was a fine ending, and completes a theme running through the story, so I have no complaints with it.

I agree with all Vongola Prim0 said; Subaru is the protagonist, why wouldn't the end be from his perspective? It's clear the entire story unfolds based on HIS perspective and HIS needs.

His growth - his ability to articulate himself better is itself a victory given his prior breakdown - and tying that to his ability to articulate his feelings to Emilia reminds us that this story is indeed about a boy meeting a girl, pursuing her selfishly, messing things up, then trying to make amends, and finally having the opportunity to move forward with her.

Does that mean we can't desire more character growth for Emilia - of course we can want that but, this is simply how this story begins, why force things and reveal too much too soon?

Why does Emilia cry? She said why: she never believed someone could love her. How much more of an answer does anyone need? To grow up ostracized, feeling unworthy of love, and then having someone give that to you unconditionally would make anyone cry profusely. It is a quintessential aspect of her character that can't be ignored.

A lack of patience ruins most manga/anime/stories, if the creator caters to the readership and does not let the story unfold at ITS pace. In addition to which, there is an obvious care placed on this series and I don't see any decision made which was poor or not in keeping with the story, its characters, its themes, and the logic of the world. So additional story information will come in time and our questions will have answers.

I believe the questions raised will be answered in the future, and more will be revealed when necessary not, when WE want. And not knowing what the answers are or when they will come gives me more enjoyment.

At the end of the day the things I care about are: does this story move me, engage me, provide me with something entertaining and thought provoking.

I say yes. Re:Zero has done all of this. I thought it started off rather slowly and I almost dropped it. Credit to the production team for keeping me interested and engaged and then invested, and then I embraced it for all it was and was not.

Its clear that we have all found much to discuss because we see the potential in this story and that's a sign of its impact. I have enjoyed reading everyone's contributions in this comment thread - I admit I could have posted more but, time was not with me - as I have two jobs and little free time. I will miss reading everyone's comments as well.

Re: Zero has become my favorite of this season and I for one will miss it on Sundays, as I watched it in my rare spare moments and it always put me in a great frame of mind.

It is not a perfect story but, then "there are no perfect stories."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Subaru's immediately asking after Patrasche's welfare stole my heart and made the episode for me. Smile

I find it deeply ominous that that gospel keeps coming back to Subaru no matter what it goes through to get to him. It's been looted, crushed and burned but it seems to know its true owner... It can't be good that he wrote in it in his own blood (anyone know what he wrote?). How did he even know to do that?

I too found Betelgeuse's dialog at the wagon to be very interesting, opening up a whole line of plot possibilities.

But I'm quite satisfied with this ending for now. I even enjoyed the tropes, like Subaru's dramatic leap into the wagon. Smile

Yttrbio wrote:
Fundamentally, nothing has changed for Emilia in terms of her relationship to Subaru. He's still inexplicably obsessed with her, he's just not as stupid about how he communicates it. Why does she burst in to joyful tears this time?

Because even if she still can't quite understand the depth of his feelings, she's seen him back it up with actions, whereas before, as far as she could see, he was mostly about the words (and some actions that belied those words, like breaking a promise and fighting out of his own ego). Yes, he'd risked his life before at the loot house, but that just looked like he got in over his head when things went south, whereas his recent actions showed he knew the risks going in and acted anyway.

If that's not enough, consider that the recent events were much more harrowing for her than what led up to their fight at the capital. Call it the Bridge Effect if you like, but after all that, most people would be ready to burst into tears at that point. Smile

Btw, is it just me, or did Subaru steal that 10 vs 2000 things idea from Rem? Bastard. Smile
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What was Subaru about to say in that very last shot

He was about to say something that would've led into a 90's Berserk-tier cliffhanger. Laughing

I'm absolutely happy they ended it where they did, which closes as many plot threads as they possibly can, while still leaving themselves plenty open for more material to be adapted down the road, and there's a lot more to cover. And I'm pretty confident a second season will happen. The series has been very financially successful on several fronts, and Kadokawa is pushing the LNs out quickly, presumably so that White Fox can produce more of the anime sooner rather than later.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, is it just me, or did Subaru steal that 10 vs 2000 things idea from Rem? Bastard.

I don't blame him. If there's anyone to be inspired by, it's Rem. Even if she has plenty issues of her own. Razz
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Theron that Re:Zero can be considered the Series of the Year because it has produced the most buzz and excitement from fans in this part of the world (North America). But in terms of overall quality, no anime series from 2016 has come close to dethroning Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with Theron that Re:Zero can be considered the Series of the Year because it has produced the most buzz and excitement from fans in this part of the world (North America). But in terms of overall quality, no anime series from 2016 has come close to dethroning Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

I have to agree here. Re:Zero is definitely a contender (certainly this season's and arguably last season's representative), but Rakugo was definitely the best so far this year in overall quality for me as well. That being said, looking at next season, there's a good chance that one or more with beat one or both of them. I mean last year's number one in the poll was a fall show (One Punch Man) by a wide margin, though perhaps more out of a broad consensus that it was at least in the top five, rather than saying it was the best show necessarily, though one could definitely argue that it was. And it was far from the only fall one near the top, so recency bias does play some role.
Responder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I absolutely agree. Thus far, my reflections on 2016 will likely include Rakugo, Lupin III, Re:Zero, maybe Konosuba or Grimgar, Flying Witch, and hopefully Drifters and Yuri on Ice. Zestiria and Hero Academia were also very enjoyable. All in all, I can see Re:Zero topping the community favourites list, and it definitely deserves it more than Erased. Hopefully come the end of the year, it will be *giggles* erased from everyone's memories.

2016 has been swell so far, and I hope fall can bring it to a solid end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 73