• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Precision Problems

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I'd like to bring to the attention of the encyclopedia editors if it is possible to add more space to precision boxes. I am currently trying to track the English Episodes Written for Tsubasa Chronicles. And I seem to have ran out of room for Bonny Clinkenbeard's Precision. She is also writing a lot of episodes for the new season of Tsubasa so I'm wondering if it's possible to enlarge said box so that I Can make it look nice and neat?

The link is here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump but wanted to bring this issue back up again (related discussion here also) as I've hit the 30 character limit twice today when entering episode numbers as precision. Is the limit for technical or aesthetic reasons or is it purely arbitrary and can it be increased?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Related to the original issues, as I know it was suggested we could just include additional precisions under the new system rather than submit error reports or to exceed the entry limit. However, when updating Tenshi Ja Nai (Manga #5802,) they are not folding into the original submissions as it sounded like they should.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
Precisions do fold together, unless:
- there's an error report ()
- it's your own submission ()
- you have your preferences set to always display an icon ()
because if there's an icon, you have to know which part of the precision it's about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat related: I brought up another precision problem in the bugs forum. I wasn't sure if it should have gone there or here but I've not had a response and it is still an issue (in my browser at least):
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125483
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
In the process of replacing error flags about precisions by adding those precisions I noticed that changing the flag status from ERRONEOUS to ACCURATE makes the icon disappear (which is fine as the masses of visible "error" icons were unfortunate), yet the number of error flags in the table of errors in my contributions for the anime in question isn't decreasing.
Therefore my original report (whose text I wasn't able to delete, the input form would just be rejected in this case) is only hidden, not removed (and trying to add another "error" flag to this entry will show this text again).

Is there any way to completely remove/revoke one's own error flags? (So that the aforementioned table would give me the true number of unresolved issues.) Using the same procedure as revoking a credit (i. e. deleting the content of all fields) would be fine.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
In the process of handling problems from months and years past I fixed this.

The list of your contributions now lists the error reports and endorsements separately. Also it's now possible to delete an error report (but not an endorsement) by saving it with a blank comment. And as a final tweak, the meta-icon will now be displayed as a green if you endorsed the info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
About precisions again, I added some additional information on top of some that were submitted by another user on Norio Matsumoto's role in Naruto and Shippuden, but instead of appearing like it does in the Naruto main page--"Key Animation (OP 1, 3-4, 9) (4 episodes)"-- it appears like this:
Quote:
Key Animation (eps 30,48,71,133), Key Animation (OP 1, 3-4, 9)

I was expecting it to look more like "Key Animation (eps 30,48,71,133; OP 1, 3-4, 9)", but the way that it's set up on the main page of the anime is fine too. Just how can I make it look like that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
For it to work you need to use "OP; eps 1, 3-4, 9" - you need to include "ep" or "eps" so it knows you are listing episodes and separate any other information with a semicolon (it should display as op; 8 episodes)
Also, it will always list your entry separately when you are logged in so you know which part you submitted; if you log out it should merge them. Whether you have the"i" dots displaying by default makes a difference.

--edit--

Also, the feature that hides the episode list doesn't seem to work on people pages anyway, only on title pages.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Also, the feature that hides the episode list doesn't seem to work on people pages anyway, only on title pages.

Yeah, the people pages don't seem to work like the titles pages currently - no combining of two different precision entries and no auto-correcting of non-standard formats ("Eps." doesn't get changed to "eps" for instance).
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
For it to work you need to use "OP; eps 1, 3-4, 9" - you need to include "ep" or "eps" so it knows you are listing episodes and separate any other information with a semicolon (it should display as op; 8 episodes)
Also, it will always list your entry separately when you are logged in so you know which part you submitted; if you log out it should merge them. Whether you have the"i" dots displaying by default makes a difference.

I was aiming at adding that he did key animation for the first, third, fourth and ninth openings, but if I entered as you said then it would mix in the numbers "1, 3-4, 9" into the episode list and give off the idea that he actually worked on episodes 1, 3-4, and 9 along with the others, which is not what I want to convey and it's false. But even when I did that it was still showing itself as separate entries for key animation on his profile page when I logged out.

I played around a bit and found out that if I entered it as "OP 1, 3-4, 9; eps 30", therefore repeating what was already there, I get "OP 1, 3-4, 9; 4 episodes" on the main page which works nicely. But I still have the separate entries when I log out, so then there's redundant information on his profile page....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

That's fixed now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dan, I'm sorry to say that the display bug in Chrome is back now, affecting person pages in the same way it did title pages back then. I hope the fix is the same so it doesn't cause you much extra work.

braves wrote:
I was aiming at adding that he did key animation for the first, third, fourth and ninth openings

Apologies, I thought you meant that he did the OP and those episodes, not that those were the OP numbers.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^It's all good. No harm done.

Now that Dan's fixed this everything's fine on my end. So thanks.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
fixed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2