• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your opinions on X (X/1999)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyoKun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
Since X was put on hiatus some years ago, I was wondering. What if CLAMP decides to finish the series? Would the style be the same? With CLAMP's recent works the style has changed, almost drastically. (I could be wrong on this...)

So what I'm trying to ask, Do you feel X will be the same if CLAMP finishes it? Or will the style be changed? How would you feel about the change in artwork?

Personally, I would really be upset. I love XXX Holic, and Tsubasa is okay, the style of drawing is good, but does not compare to CLAMP's earlier works, visually. I am extremely curious as to how the final volumes of X would be, visually.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, as much as I like the story of X/1999, I would be absolutely shocked if they changed the art work to either Tsubasa and xxxholic. The change in the art works exceptional quality would be taking away one of the major things that made X/1999 so great. Simply put IMHO clamp changing the art work for X/1999 would be equivalant/just as bad if Kentaro Miura decided to downgrade the magnificent art work of Berserk to the crappy art work of Naruto. I apologize if that last statement will offend naruto fans but when I compare Kishimotos art to other Manga-ka, such as Tite Kubo,Yoshihiro Togashi, and Nobohiru Watsuki, Kishimoto just fails in comparison, since it seems the art in each chapter seem to be a rush job. But generally speaking when a manga-ka drastically changes the quality of their series art work, one has to wonder if they are just becoming lazy or simply just don't care anymore which I've heard some fans of clamp say about their recent works.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I don't think they would change the art style, just because they do want to match it up. Also, they've always had a fair amount of different styles, so I don't think it would be too hard for them to go back.

That said, as far as opinions of the series itself, what I've read I really didn't like. The pacing at the beginning just seems so slow, not to mention Viz's release is old and thus doesn't have the greatest translation when compared to what we get today (Harbingers Question )

I have heard some interesting things about later parts of the series though, so someday I might try to read some of the later issues, where things take a different course from the anime series. But, as things stand, I really have no interest in this manga, beyond finding out what CLAMP intends for the ending to be and how it compares to the anime.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
KyoKun wrote:
Personally, I would really be upset. I love XXX Holic, and Tsubasa is okay, the style of drawing is good, but does not compare to CLAMP's earlier works, visually. I am extremely curious as to how the final volumes of X would be, visually.

Well, remember that CLAMP is 4 different women, which explains the art difference. XXXHolic and X are principally drawn by the same artist (Mokona, I believe), while Tsubasa is principally drawn by a different person entirely (Tsubaki "Mick" Nekoi, the same artist that drew Angelic Layer). I would imagine, though, that every effort would be made to make the look of any future X volumes at least comparable, although they'll never be identical....artists grow and change, and they can't "unlearn" what they've learned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
isn't it fifteen years old the series? Tsubasa and XXXholic aren't nearly that old so that could explain the art difference. I only saw like one episode to the series at a friends house and I'm thinking of buying the manga to it. (I know it seems strange to just buy it after one episode but it seemed interesting)
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
isn't it fifteen years old the series? Tsubasa and XXXholic aren't nearly that old so that could explain the art difference.

The first volume of X came out in 1992, the 18th and final (so far) in 2002. The first volumes of Tsubasa and xXxholic both came out in August 2003. (all dates from the ANN encyclopedia)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more concerned about how they'd do the ending and what it would be. Art style is one thing, but I want to know moreover how CLAMP wanted to end X. Personally I'm not sure why they stopped (makes me wonder if they just didn't have an ending they felt compelled enough to go with to finish the series.)

Personally I think what would make for a fun and gut-twisting ending is taking part of what X the series did and spinning it. Why not instead have it so that Fuma kills Kamui, but instead of the sappy TV ending have it end with Fuma giving an impaled Kamui a speech something like this.

Quote:
"The moment you took up your sword against me you had lost. Remember, there are two Kamuis, one who hunts and one who enforces God's will. However, you were confused as to which you were. There is only one future, one destiny, and that is because God dictates it. You were all just confused as to which side you were on. I am Kamui, who enforces God's will, and that will is that mankind should suffer immensely and die out for the sins it has committed, so that God may start the world anew. You were dead the moment you chose your own selfish desires above those of God."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Personally I'm not sure why they stopped (makes me wonder if they just didn't have an ending they felt compelled enough to go with to finish the series.)

The reason for it being put on hiatus had something to do with the violence involved in the manga. The official story is (I got the text from Wikipedia, but it's the same story I've seen before)

Quote:
the Great Hanshin earthquake and the Sakakibara incident, both of which devastated Japan. As X portrays earthquakes as a sign of the end of days and contains depictions of extreme mutilation and decapitation, Clamp decided it was not the right time to release the ending they had planned.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

The reason for it being put on hiatus had something to do with the violence involved in the manga. The official story is (I got the text from Wikipedia, but it's the same story I've seen before)

Quote:
the Great Hanshin earthquake and the Sakakibara incident, both of which devastated Japan. As X portrays earthquakes as a sign of the end of days and contains depictions of extreme mutilation and decapitation, Clamp decided it was not the right time to release the ending they had planned.

Thanks, I'd been wondering that for a while. It's sad but I guess I can understand. I wonder what's been keeping CLAMP from, in recent years, finishing it after the aftermath faded though. If they had an ending planned they could just pick it up. Now we'll all be left speculating as to what it would have been.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
Somehow I really do not see them ever finishing this. Sad Which is sad because they stort had so much potential to go so many ways.

I do wish Viz would do an unflipped re-release of the original books though. They did it for Fushigi Yugi and Ceres, so why not X/1999? Granted they were in the larger format though.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:

I do wish Viz would do an unflipped re-release of the original books though. They did it for Fushigi Yugi and Ceres, so why not X/1999? Granted they were in the larger format though.

I know that for Fushigi Yuugi, they made the flip half-way through, so they only had to reprint about 8-9 volumes, and things with Ceres were similar. X/1999 however is 18 volumes of an indefinitely unfinished series that are already printed.

My hope is that if CLAMP ever does finish it than maybe we'd get another version printed, preferably with a new translation to go along with it, like what TokyoPop did with CCS.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

My hope is that if CLAMP ever does finish it than maybe we'd get another version printed, preferably with a new translation to go along with it, like what TokyoPop did with CCS.

To heck with the re-print and proper translation, I'll settle for the series just being finally OVER!
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Thanks, I'd been wondering that for a while. It's sad but I guess I can understand. I wonder what's been keeping CLAMP from, in recent years, finishing it after the aftermath faded though. If they had an ending planned they could just pick it up. Now we'll all be left speculating as to what it would have been.

It might be a little more complicated than that. I read somewhere that some members of CLAMP apparently knew some of the victims well. If that's true, the situation is a whole different ball game than it simply being inappropriate to continue due to the tragedies being so recent. They may have thought that they would eventually be able to continue and fully intended to do so but found that they just couldn't.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
X is my absolute favorite manga series ever. I have collected the first printing of all 18 volumes of the second edition. I think I would probably cry if it were re-released just because it's sooooo much money to spend AGAIN. As much as I would love to see an updated translation and the original artwork, it's 18 volumes to have to wait for and pay for again and again....

Although, if I recall correctly, CLAMP is working on X occassionally behind the scenes. And in the X 18.5 that they release in Newtype Japan, I think only a few years ago, they went back to the original art style. I don't know if Mokona drew them or Nekoi (considering Mokona has arthritis, or so they say), but the scans I've seen from it, look just like the original style. I don't think it would be possible to change the style of X. If they did that it would completely change the feel of it. And I think CLAMP is smarter than that. Especially knowing that X is considered their magnum opus. It's the same as if they ever decided to continue Clover. If they changed it, it would no longer be the same series, but more of a spin off involving the same characters and world. Unless they recreated the art style and stylistic direction of the series, it wouldn't be the same. And I highly doubt they would do that.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
X is my absolute favorite manga series ever. I have collected the first printing of all 18 volumes of the second edition. I think I would probably cry if it were re-released just because it's sooooo much money to spend AGAIN. As much as I would love to see an updated translation and the original artwork, it's 18 volumes to have to wait for and pay for again and again....

Although, if I recall correctly, CLAMP is working on X occassionally behind the scenes. And in the X 18.5 that they release in Newtype Japan, I think only a few years ago, they went back to the original art style. I don't know if Mokona drew them or Nekoi (considering Mokona has arthritis, or so they say), but the scans I've seen from it, look just like the original style. I don't think it would be possible to change the style of X. If they did that it would completely change the feel of it. And I think CLAMP is smarter than that. Especially knowing that X is considered their magnum opus. It's the same as if they ever decided to continue Clover. If they changed it, it would no longer be the same series, but more of a spin off involving the same characters and world. Unless they recreated the art style and stylistic direction of the series, it wouldn't be the same. And I highly doubt they would do that.

In regards to volume 18.5 they just simply republished those chapters. The last chapter serialized which ended on a bloody cliffhanger was actually published back around March 2003. As far as I know they have not been working on any new chapters but X/1999 is expected to be a 21 volume series since there are 21 Tarot Cards. I remember Clamp saying last year when they came over to the states they stated that they should be starting up legal drug again in the near future and said they will finish X/1999 at some point especially considering its their best work or as you had put it Not a Jellyfish its their magnum opus.

X/1999 hiatus 4.25 years(On going) Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2