• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
I've heard rumors about some Japanese fans preferring the dubbed voices for certain shows/characters (e.g. Cowboy Bebop, and Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch in Code Geass). Obviously, the majority wouldn't have heard them, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised, particularly for these titles.

I'm... advanced-intermediate, let's say, in Japanese, and I have different preferences for different shows. There are a lot of shows that have a large portion of both English and Japanese casts in common with Code Geass, and I tend to prefer the dubs for those (K, in particular). I don't know how someone wouldn't prefer Bosch's performance in either of those, he has so much more depth than either of those seiyuu... his performance shows both the strength and intelligence, and vulnerability of both those characters (Lelouch and Fushimi), plus that teasing sexiness that drips out like honey...

But my current favorite show, on the other hand, is an idol show where the characters are influenced so much by their seiyuu, who play them in live shows as well, that I don't think a dub would work for it, because the characters are their voice actors. In a very Disney-like way. (particularly KENN's character <3 )

I wish they'd make an idol show in English, so I could see what some of my favorite English voice actors would do with characters like that... (Like, an original English series of drama CDs or something, not a dub of a Japanese series).

........ why don't English voice actors do drama CDs? They say it's because people would pirate them, but someone should organize a kickstarter or something for them. The dubbed Code Geass drama CDs are some of the greatest things ever.

Last edited by #861208 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The US used to have 3-year high schools as well (covering 10th-12th), with elementary school covering grades 1-6 and junior high covering 7-9 most commonly. I'm not old enough to know first-hand and I can't find if those schools skipped "sophomore" or "junior" (my parents didn't remember).

This is forever stuck in my mind, our 3 year Junior High and High School became a 3 year Middle School ( 6,7 & 8th grades ) and a 4 year High School between my 7th and 8th grade years.

For the record, 9th was "Freshman" even if it was the last year of Junior High. 8th grade was referred to as "Greenhorn" for inscrutable western reasons.

The change in school organization for me mean that I spent only 2 years in the Junior High / Middle School facility in my home town. To be honest that was more than enough time.

Mark Gosdin
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
when I started school, it was k-6, 7-9, and 10-12. though it shifted a bit and as a 6th grader, the 5th graders came with us to be k-5 and 6-9. But by the time we hit the HS in 10th grade we were still considered sophomores. though usually we just said whatever grade we were in. 10th grade...etc. most of us just didn't really care.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
when I started school, it was k-6, 7-9, and 10-12. though it shifted a bit and as a 6th grader, the 5th graders came with us to be k-5 and 6-9. But by the time we hit the HS in 10th grade we were still considered sophomores. though usually we just said whatever grade we were in. 10th grade...etc. most of us just didn't really care.

When I lived in Germany it was kind of like that on the army base. Though elementary was k-8 and high school was 8-12.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
I've heard rumors about some Japanese fans preferring the dubbed voices for certain shows/characters (e.g. Cowboy Bebop, and Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch in Code Geass). Obviously, the majority wouldn't have heard them, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised, particularly for these titles.

Sounds like one of those baseless internet rumors people like to repeat despite zero evidence. Saying a random English voice actor being more popular than Jun Fukuyama in Japan is kinda ridiculous. Whoever started that one shoulda picked a less popular seiyuu

Only time I see Japanese boards mention American dubs is when they laugh at the censorship in stuff like 4Kids dubs, or if theres a big controversy like the Hajimete no Gal thing and it makes its way back to Japan. Otherwise, its not something they care about.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:

I was in the same school district and high school. And yeah, I really don't remember anyone using the whole Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior thing. Actually, I think most of high school I couldn't even remember the order.

Though, I just looked and the high school seems to be back to a 4 year school. Though, with even less students then when we were there and it was 3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
On the English dub thing: There were some rumors going around the inernet about how Japanese preferred certain series with English voice acting, but not proof was ever presented. It's hard to believe it's true. Honestly, English dubs are only a thing in North America. I haven't met a single European anime fan who prefers or even likes English dubs.

On the attacks of homeless people: Yeah, I always thought it was true. It matches with the fact that most youth in Japan feel like they have no power over their lives and some, sadly, want to feel powerful by attacking someone who is relatively defenseless. Combines with the fact that minors tend to get away with a lot in Japan and you have a recipe for heartlessness. Burning the possessions of a homeless man feels, to me, like an unredeemable act of cruelty. If you do that you should go on some sort of list, if you catch my drift.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I've got the JP releases for Jin-Roh and Blue Submarine N06, and they both have duel audio and English subtitles. I've heard it is the same for S.A.C and Macross Plus.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend in Japan who's fascinated with English dubs for anime, but says she wishes she could understand it all better without needing subtitles as she does happen to like hearing quite a few of our VAs. "English is very complex!" is what she tells me a lot in emails.

Quote:
It's a bigger problem than you might think for the relatively safe Japan. In 2014 the problem had gotten so bad that Tokyo governor Yoichi Masuzoe had to address the problem from within school systems. According to a non-profit study of 300 homeless people in Tokyo around that time, about 40% of them had been attacked, usually by two or more youths armed with rocks, fireworks, steel pipes or just their fists. Some had their possessions set on fire. It's hard to know how seriously the police are taking these attacks. Support services for homeless people in Japan are notoriously bad.

This trend isn't new, but it is growing, unfortunately mirroring similar attacks in the US (which often cross into murder).

I guess it must be easier for scumbags to attack defenseless homeless folks because the government obviously doesn't care what happens to people who have no roof over their head, no income, and who can't pay taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if the government officials saw the poverty-stricken as "unwanted elements" to be disposed of, and actually don't care if they got attacked by some thugs.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, the Japanese school structure is based on how American schools were structured during the post-war era. The US used to have 3-year high schools as well (covering 10th-12th), with elementary school covering grades 1-6 and junior high covering 7-9 most commonly. I'm not old enough to know first-hand and I can't find if those schools skipped "sophomore" or "junior" (my parents didn't remember).

Eh... that depends. Though things are much more standardized nowadays than they were, there's never really been One True Setup.

In on school system I attended, all the 6th graders went to one school (in a city of 500k). In another it was all the 9th graders. The system I graduated from was 4-4-2-2 (Elementary, Middle, Jr. High, Sr. High). The same system (thirty years on) is now 5-3-4 (Elementary, Middle, High).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, the Japanese school structure is based on how American schools were structured during the post-war era.

Is that true? I remember reading that in the meiji era they copy/pasted the USA (and british I think) educational system into japan, so I wonder if there was any changes in that area after WWII (where the changes were political in nature, no more emperor, no more legal prostitution).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
On the English dub thing: There were some rumors going around the inernet about how Japanese preferred certain series with English voice acting, but not proof was ever presented. It's hard to believe it's true. Honestly, English dubs are only a thing in North America. I haven't met a single European anime fan who prefers or even likes English dubs.

The only one I ever remember hearing about Japanese fans liking the English dub (before today) was Lucky Star
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-07/lucky-star-bd-ships-in-japan-in-may-with-english-track

And from looking at forum posts on the topic at least SOME of the amusement with the dub was what Japanese was left intact. I hadn't heard about Japanese fans preferring the English Code Geass, altho 2 things I'd note about that one. #1. It IS based around a primarily "British" set of characters, and #2. I'm always struck that it's one of the FEW anime I've seen where the English voice (for Lelouche) seems HIGHER pitched than the Japanese voice, usually it's the other way around, especially for male characters.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon's statement is nonsense for 2 reasons. The first being that people do watch dubbed live action films, in fact they do so in Japan. If a western film or tv series is released in Japan it is usually dubbed into Japanese, they're very rarely released in English with Japanese subtitles. Dubbing live action films and TV shows is a fairly common practise worldwide though not as common as in animation.

Secondly the reason it's not as common for live action as it is in animation isn't because of respect, like he seems to think, it's about visual quality. When an actual human mouth is moving there is a lot of detail and it's obvious to even an unobservant watcher if the words they're hearing don't match the way the mouth is moving. Animation is rarely that detailed and doesn't usually go beyond mouth open or closed and in those instances you can put practically anything into that moment and unless you knew what was meant to be said you wouldn't be able to tell it was wrong. There are plenty of instances in anime where the Japanese dub doesn't even match the lip flaps properly.

I've even seen people believe that an animation was originally made in one language and will point out flaws in its real original language because they think it should be another one. They will point out ways in which the lip flaps don't match and use that as proof that it was meant to be in another language even when it wasn't, because it is genuinely difficult to tell in animation that something was meant to be in another language unless the dub was phenomenally bad or you already knew.

This is not the same in live action where is it easy to tell if the language has been changed regardless of if you were expecting it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote a 7/24/17 article called "Interview: Attack on Titan's Trina Nishimura and Yui Ishikawa". Besides both ladies revealing they want the Eren/Mikasa ship to happen, they also gave kind words on each other's performances. For Yui, her exposure to the Eng. dub was limited to what she saw on the hotel TV. However, she did say she want to watch the whole thing.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly, Yoko Kanno told the dub director for Cowboy Bebop "Our Spike, good. Your Spike... Sexy!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3