• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too old for anime?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
SDAnimeFan wrote:
No one is too old for anime.

I agree. I'm 41 and still love Anime. Been into it longer than many of you have been alive - ever since the late 70's when it started running on US TV.

Age is irrelevant. It would be a silly thing to worry about. It's also silly to waste an once of your energy to worry about what other people think of you or what you do.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Yeah, I notice that a lot of the people here who are 30+ have long shrugged off concerns about that stuff.

As for lack of creativity in anime--there are always ups and downs, but you ride it through when you're a longtime fan. I've managed to find good anime even in "down years". Been watching anime since the early 80s, myself.
ponlork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
This topic was first introduced in 2003, I wonder what the original posters are thinking now. Are they still watching anime or have they moved on? Some of those OPs would be in their mid to late 30s and a couple in their late 50s or early 60s. I'm not sure I will still be watching anime in 20 - 30 years; maybe old anime from this time period and earlier. I would think it was creepy if you're an old guy watching a bunch of little girls running around in middle or high school but if you're watching the violent anime or more mature anime I would think its ok.

No one has ever told me I was too old for anime; I'm in my 20s. I've just been told that it was weird that I liked it because of being a Black girl and I don't "look like" someone who likes anime (not sure what they heck that means). I'd rather watch anime than the drivel that is put on mainstream television because its more creative and less contrived (well, the anime I watch any way).

Wow I just noticed that. Back in 2003 I was clashing with ANN and getting hit with the ban stick but now I'm approaching that rightful age of 28 and I'm starting to wonder if I can continue to have this love affair with anime. A lot of the new stuff don't interests me anymore. I believe the older you get the less appealing anime becomes and the magic is starting to wear off on me but something tells me I'll be watching anime playing video games and listening to Rap Music until I'm set in the dirt
Nothing Noble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I am re-discovering anime after a hiatus of sorts. I am 24 and it's not weird. Defining maturity is a strange concept. You would start weeding it down until the only thing mature people would do is go to work, eat and sleep. Just follow your bliss and if it's not hurting yourself or anyone else, then rock on with your bad self. Very Happy
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
You are too old, stop watching and get a real hobby!

funniyl, enough, My mother actuall said something like this to my father about my comics.

Mom: Blah blah blah, comic.

Dad: Well, everybody has different hobbies, some people play with trains, some play with trucks, cars, etc.etc.

Mom: Well, why culdn't he have one of those hobbies?

Ugh.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
I would think it was creepy if you're an old guy watching a bunch of little girls running around in middle or high school .

Hey, you know what they say about anime high school girls. I get older and they stay the same age.

Quote:
I've just been told that it was weird that I liked it because of being a Black girl

Me, too. Well, except for the "girl" part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16