• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite intros that make you jump with excitement!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The first opening for Pani Poni Dash. High energy with seriously wierd animation. Which, I guess, makes it very appropriate for the series. The later two openings were also good.

The opening for the first episode of the Bubblegum Crisis OAV. That was good in both English and Japanese. Along with the associated animation it built a great level of tension and anticipation. It showed a lot of the world of the show with out exposition.

It's a bit off topic, but I thought the closing animation of Eden of the East was fantastic. I assume it was computer generated, but it has a great stop motion feel.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I realize that I'm seriously dating myself here, but the original Robotech opener was just the coolest thing to my teenaged eyes.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, there's so many ...

It's hard to beat the driving guitars and thumping beat of "Red Faction" from Black Lagoon.

One of the best examples of Japanese hip-hop has to be "Bomb-A-Head" from Tenjho Tenge.

I also love "Masterpiece" from Toaru Majutsu no Index.

"Love Seeker" from Ranma 1/2 Season 7 is scarily like Queen. So good.

I'm sure there's more, if I really racked my brain.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The second (oky, third!) opening to Maison Ikkoku, "Suki sa." The song is passionate, which forms a nice counterpoint to the slow pace and wryness of the show: it makes explicit the suspense and excitement of the developing romance that isn't otherwise given to us directly.
It makes you say: "Yay! It's Maison Ikkoku!"
(Pity about almost all the other openers for the show --- and every single one of the closing songs.)
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I got really excited over the first Bleach opening. It was high budget and the show looked very promising after the first OP. How could I have known what the show would go on to become.. But yeah, the music and visuals were both bright and fresh, and made me very keen for the series. Of course, the quality of the show went on to drop, the plot began to drag, the fights became drawn out and boring... What a shame. Still, a very good first OP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The most immediate example that springs to mind is the opening of GunBuster. Some, nay most, would be inclined to label its musical accompaniment as kitsch or worse. I nevertheless find myself with an appetite for songs such as this, despite not being in a position to call myself nostalgic.
Perhaps much of the appeal is drawn from the distinction that can so clearly be drawn between this genre of pop and those typical of more recent trends. In virtue of this, I express similar sentiments concerning certain other opening sequences also: Dominion Tank Police would be particularly relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE the opening to Black Lagoon. I watch it throughout its entirety every time. And Bleach's first opening was pretty good as well. I also like Gintama's first intro.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
... and the "Condition Green" opening from the Patlabor OVA 2/New Files. The line "Hurry Up! Hurry Up!" builds anticipation, and the final sentiment "Just I'm going to fly away!" is one I regularly quote (to the indulgent eye-rolling of my wife).

And Zin5ki isn't wrong about Gunbuster. What a great opener. Especially the first few seconds.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I realize that I'm seriously dating myself here, but the original Robotech opener was just the coolest thing to my teenaged eyes.

It's still damned cool! Robotech haters be damned!

Wink

I've always been partial to "Men of Destiny". Always gets the adrenaline pumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEaue56tGk

0083 is proof that great music, great animation and great direction can make a really crappy script appear awesome.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
A lot of stuff since I like a lot of genres of music, rock, metal, blues, techno, classical/instrumental, jazz, swing.... My favorites though are usually JRock/JMetal songs like this Naruto Ending or base pumping Jpop stuff such as the Destiny of Shrine Maidens opening. Although, a good jazz tune like Ghost Hound's opening or an offbeat creepy tune like When They Cry uses can also be pretty effective at getting me hyped for a show. It all depends on whether the songs fit the show I guess.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh so many good openings but so little time. Where to start?

Yu Yu Hakusho: The first opening is one of my favorites, I really think it's over looked. For some reason I love watching it every time I watch the series. There are allot of shows that when i marathon them I get tired of the OP quick, but I have yet to get tiered of this one. I like it so much that I even have the song set as my ringtone right now. Oh Smile Bomb such a classic anime song "Thank you for waking me up!"

Gankutsuou: The opening fits the story so perfectly. The song actually matches the romance plot of the story and the art work and images used really set the mood for each episode I think.

Cowboy Bebop: Most likely one of the most iconic anime openings in American anime fandom. And I get excited every time I see it. When I'm up on Saturday nights and flipping around, as soon as I hear the horn intro I know its Bebop time.

Samurai Champloo: This was such a cool opening, it mystified me the first time I saw it and electrified me after that. To me it's like a warning for the series, like "Get ready cause it's about to start."

Paranoia Agent: When this series was on Adult Swim I would look forward to seeing it every Saturday. As soon as it started my blood would get flowing and I'd get really pumped up for the show, for some reason it just has that effect on me.

There are allot more I could list but I'll end it here for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
It's still damned cool! Robotech haters be damned!
Thanks for the affirmation! Very Happy
Aeonflux-- wrote:
just watched the lucky star intro and it is pretty captivating lol.
[...]
Is the show any good...i know it entirely depends on what im into but im pretty open....
  1. I overlooked the fact that you've been registered for < a week; welcome aboard! Cool
  2. Here are some links to reviews (and their associated forums).
    DVD 1
    DVD 2
    DVD 3
Shadowvitesse62

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass's Colors- sets the premise of the story well by giving a really brief highlight of the characters. The flow and upbeat nature of the song, contrasting with the slightly more downbeat moments like you're trying to lift yourself out of the down moments, plus the fast-moving rhythms of it makes it a fun song to listen to.

Gundam Wing's Rhythm Emotion- moves fast, but not too fast, with haunting lyrics and good use of instruments as accompaniment. And it's the second half of the series, which is where the plot really builds up after what felt like being caught in the doldrums in the middle, much like the song itself. Still my ringtone on the cell phone

Gundam Seed's Moment- bright and classy start gives way to fast tempo and driving beat- the two vocalists contrast and complement each other brilliantly. Guitar enhances moments without lyrics excellently.

.hack//Roots' Silly-go-Round- Absolutely love Fictionjunction Yuuka, their airy voices have that aura of mystery to them, exemplified by this song. Doesn't try to drag, just keeps building up until the end.

Gundam 00's Daybreak's Bell- Really grabs you off the bat with it's keyboard and percussion combination, and airy vocals lend to exemplify feelings of enigma, like shadows during the break of dawn. Brightness is like the feeling of hope after the resolution of a conflict, soft and mysterious vocals say that you won't know what will happen next.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Resonance by TM Revolution (Soul Eater)
Normally, if I'm really invested in a series and I want to see the next episode ASAP I'll skip over the OP. Not Soul Eater. I marathoned this series, but watched this OP every single time.

Paper Moon by Tommy Heavenly6 (Soul Eater)
Now, I did watch this OP every single time, but I did most times.

I was about to add "Heart of Sword - Yoake Mae" by TM Revolution but then I remembered that it was an ED. Rurouni Kenshin is one series where it's EDs blew its OPs out of the water (I normally find it's the other way around or they're even). Not that the OPs were bad, not at all, I just preferred a majority of the EDs which had more energy... I mean, "1/2" during the Kyoto Arc? It's a good song, but it felt kinda strange with all the action going on.

HOWLING by Abingdon Boys School (Darker than Black)
Man, I was so pumped after watching this. I actually stopped watching the series soon after this OP was dropped (other series were more interesting at the time, and that OP was a guarantee for me to get fired up and want to watch the episode... once the OP wasn't there anymore, one of my motivators was gone).

Uninstall by Chiaki Ishikawa (Bokurano)
This song never failed to put me into the mood. I would always listen to it before the episode to channel the emotions I was feeling. Perfect OP for the series.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni by Eiko Shimamiya (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni)
Another perfect song that fits the mood of the series and immerses you in. LOVE IT. So creepy.

Naraku no Hana by Eiko Shimamiya (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai)
And yet another perfect song that fits the mood. Every time I watched it I got shivers up my spine when I saw Rika running and stretching out for something. I felt a strong sense of yearning. Between this song and the opening for the first season, I actually prefer this one (I love 'em both, but I like this one more).
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
HOWLING by Abingdon Boys School (Darker than Black)
Man, I was so pumped after watching this. I actually stopped watching the series soon after this OP was dropped (other series were more interesting at the time, and that OP was a guarantee for me to get fired up and want to watch the episode... once the OP wasn't there anymore, one of my motivators was gone).

Agreed on both counts, though I didn't drop the show because the show was awesome. However, I loved the first OP of the series, and the song was really motivating and made me want to keep watch. It's one of a handful of J-songs I like listening to regularly in my car.

Another one that I just thought of now, actually, is the opening theme to Rainbow - Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin. The song is called We're Not Alone by Coldrain. Admittedly I'm not really into this generic melodic metal very much but this song worked so well with the visuals and its raw aggression and passion really came through for me. This is another song I listen to pretty regularly. Also, this is probably the best Japanese band singing in English vocals I've ever heard - no Engrish. I'd like to see them live. The singer has a good clean voice and a brutal, sick scream. The screaming I do in my band is actually in this style - I picked it up because of this song.

Dunno why I didn't think of those two songs when I first posted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5