• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (TV)

This is what I was waiting for this season.

Straightforward slice of life light comedy with odd characters, nothing too surreal, no sexual dysfunctions or perversions, no controversy- perceived or otherwise, no need to push the envelope to be noticed- merely funny characters doing funny things. The moe factor is barely present and neither is fan-service (although there was an odd glare-censored bit that seemed totally unnecessary It's the type of show that was mostly lacking this season, until now.

Set in an entirely unfashionable Maid Cafe that is more dingy dinner than cafe- the elderly maid owner doesn't even sell tea-she doesn't like it- the only reason you can call it a maid cafe is because the employees wear maid outfits. When the spacey and clumsy main character invites her somewhat uptight best friend in to visit the friend starts with the lessens on how to be proper maid (she also takes a job there) . Their strict by-the-book homeroom teacher is also introduced and is proven to be almost as clueless as his odd students (the way they momentarily evade him is a great bit of comedy).

It has that certain SHAFT visual flair as well. Scenes are animated at interesting angles, such as from the floor, character designs for some characters are purposefully homely to the point of ugliness, there's a wonderfully odd Nightmarish segment at the end of the first episode. Yet it doesn't have the exact same Shaft look to it- the first episode at least is short on the obvious animation short-cuts of thir other works without sacrificing the interesting shots. for instance, a shot in which a character is depicted in the reflection of a coffe pot, but instead of using this as an excuse to avoid animating a full body great detail is taken to animate the moving face according to the distorted and curved surface.

It's the first show this season I am absolutely certain I'll be watching from beginning to end.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reanbell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I stumbled onto this manga by chance today and started reading... Now I find out that there's an anime too? Awesome xD
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not bad by any standards, though I'd rather someone shoot Chiaki Omigawa before she goes on to ruin more shows with that screeching. Still, she should be counterbalanced by Yukino Satsuki (can't find what character she's voicing), and hearing Sugita's always a pleasure.
I must say, it's a bit too Shaft... I like their style, but I feel like it's been done to death. Bakemonogatari was great, yes, and it worked perfectly in SZS but here I see the same old Shinbo's tricks... like some kind of side-story to Arakawa, and a cheaper version of Bakemono. You could probably make a person who's never watched anime sit through an episode from both shows, and he'd tell you it's been made by the same people.

That said, since it's seinen, I'm expecting a source material that's above average, and I hear good things about the manga, so here's to hoping it gets better.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've seen most of that director's shows but I honestly didn't realize at first that it was SHAFT. (that's what I edited in, it was only after I wrote my first draft that I though to check if there was a connection).

How was I fooled? Sure, the style is very recognizable- but the execution was so much more accomplished. In all of those other shows it has always been so obvious that he style is in part executed in a way to cover up the fact that it's a low frame rate. It's the case with Hidamari Sketch, Pani Poni Dash, Sayonara Zetsuba Sensei, even the immaculately styled Bakemonogatari. Things are shown on the wall while people talk so they don't have to animate the mouths, characters walk in barely varied loops over very sylish but static backgrounds, it's all very stylish but you see the tricks. I didn't notice that with this show. Hopefully it's not just a teaser and they go into full short-cut mode next week but in this first episode they had both the style AND the fluid animation they often pass up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Yeah, it's not bad by any standards, though I'd rather someone shoot Chiaki Omigawa before she goes on to ruin more shows with that screeching.

Her voice is perfectly fine for the mc. I really never saw what was so bad with her voice in the first place.

Anyway, I liked the first episode, the opening was great. It was catchy and the style fit, plus Shaft never fails at making a good opening.

I did get a laugh or two out of this, though it was more light comdey then anything which is still good. The whole maid part of it all was the real laugh out loud thing for me.

So far so good with things, hopefully it will just keep getting better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Out of all the SHAFT shows for this to be compared to I would think that it would be Natsu no Arashi, might not be much to compare it to over other other SHAFT shows except setting (cafe), as well as outfits and the main characters seems a bit simular.

My favourite parts of this so far is it's charm that was instantly visible from the OP song, it just felt generally friendly, SHAFT can sometimes scare people away with their atmosphere, but this just felt a little different. I also liked that there are a couple not so attractive people and not being degraded like often hapends. And nice seiyu as well: The main character reminds me pretty easilly of her recent role in Seitokai Yakuinodomo as the squiky voiced energetic girl, the friend well I just mention my favourite as Murasaki in Kure-nai. The granny is voiced by a guy, I have not seen this in anime often and it brought a smile to me a couple times, especially if you realise he voiced Meme in Bakemonogatari.

Any got to cut it short but this looks to be a nice easy watch, except for maybe the love triangle.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Her voice is perfectly fine for the mc. I really never saw what was so bad with her voice in the first place.

It might be a matter of personal preference, but... compared to other seiyuu, it sounds a bit like those old violins that people asking for money sometimes play in public transport. That screeching... I've got to say it is in a way realistic (irl they're sometimes even more annoying).
Ending rocks, completely agree with the previews.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, both in school and at her after school job Hotori bears a striking resemblance to Azumanga's Tomo - and that's a good thing.

Loved the episode and look forward to the series.

Oh, yeah, and I don't get all the kvetching about Chiaki Omigawa's voice. I think it's a perfect fit for a bossy yet spacey adolescent girl. As somebody with three step-daughters and who's chaperoned more middle and high school field trips than I care to think about, I can tell you from experience that (taking the cultural speech patterns differences into account) you'll find more that sound like her than ones with mellifluous alto's.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
Oh, yeah, and I don't get all the kvetching about Chiaki Omigawa's voice.

Another Chiaki Omigawa (how perfect would it have been if her name was Omigawda?) fan checking in. I first noticed her as Judo Girl in last season's Seitokai Yakuindomo and loved her squeaky delivery since then. I can see how it could bother people, but I like it. She certainly doesn't sound like anybody else, that's for sure.

The series itself seems pretty funny and cute. And as has been pointed out, that EN is priceless. I'm innsies.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
I thought this was pretty decent. I agree with what Dusky was saying about comparing it to Natsu no Arashi, it just came to my head as I was watching it.

Was surprised I actually got a few laughs out of this, but the last few minutes (15-18 minutes in) or so dragged a little for me. I'm curious to see how this will continue though and if they can keep this kind of pace up with interesting material.

-EDIT - Forgot to comment on Chiaki Omigawa. It's funny how we have all heard her before when she's been in about 5-6 shows, but I guess those shows are relatively all recent and well known/popular. I do like her but I can see where Mister V is coming from. It completely fits the character here... but i was a little irked at first hearing her haha, although I've had no problems with her in the past.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:

-EDIT - Forgot to comment on Chiaki Omigawa. It's funny how we have all heard her before when she's been in about 5-6 shows, but I guess those shows are relatively all recent and well known/popular.

Probably because she has a pretty unique voice even among seiyuu. It's like if you made a scratchy violin speak words. (best comparison I could think of. Embarassed)

I wasn't exactly thrilled to see her again (as I hated her Maka, but adored her P-Ko) but in any case, the show is really fun. Comedy is kinda hit or miss but it's a decent time-waster. OP and ED are great!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Probably because she has a pretty unique voice even among seiyuu. It's like if you made a scratchy violin speak words. (best comparison I could think of. Embarassed)

Next random crap to turn into cute girl series (read the latest News Nina).

I am remember a simular conversation to this about sieyu voices So-Ra-No-Wo-To with te deep voiced sieyu, looks like there is often a split some who like the more unique voices, and some who find them grating. I for one enjoy some of these different voices, well I still have not gotten used to that one girl in Amagami.
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Yeah, it's not bad by any standards, though I'd rather someone shoot Chiaki Omigawa before she goes on to ruin more shows with that screeching. Still, she should be counterbalanced by Yukino Satsuki (can't find what character she's voicing), and hearing Sugita's always a pleasure.
I must say, it's a bit too Shaft... I like their style, but I feel like it's been done to death. Bakemonogatari was great, yes, and it worked perfectly in SZS but here I see the same old Shinbo's tricks... like some kind of side-story to Arakawa, and a cheaper version of Bakemono. You could probably make a person who's never watched anime sit through an episode from both shows, and he'd tell you it's been made by the same people.

Chiaki being the lead and it being made by SHAFT are the only reasons to watch this show.

I really hate the maid thing in anime that shit isn't moe it is lame and it has spread like a virus. Hopefully this show is about completely mocking the whole idea and existence of maid cafes. That is the impression the first episode gave me and SHAFT does a lot of offbeat shows that take different approaches to standard anime tropes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:

Chiaki being the lead and it being made by SHAFT are the only reasons to watch this show.

I really hate the maid thing in anime that shit isn't moe it is lame and it has spread like a virus. Hopefully this show is about completely mocking the whole idea and existence of maid cafes. That is the impression the first episode gave me and SHAFT does a lot of offbeat shows that take different approaches to standard anime tropes.

Well, what does the manga do? Chances are the anime isn't too far off of the source material.
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
killmyself wrote:

Well, what does the manga do? Chances are the anime isn't too far off of the source material.

I usually don't read manga unless it is a continuation of an anime I like from where they stopped making episodes because it kills the shows for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3