• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Ranks Fall 2010 Simulcasts by Popularity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamflipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I have watched the first two episodes of Super Robot Wars OG and I really regret ... I mean it's such a mess of plot (kind of) and the mechas are not really that good looking ... I personally think that it is not a really decent show but always better than Panty & Stocking.. this one is not funny at all ...its just dumb as hell.. probably a mr hinky's show could be much more fun and intellectual. Apologies to every fan of those two show.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pereyda also commented that Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector "may be the surprise hit of the season," and that part of the reason for its popularity was that Crunchyroll has the world-wide license for the series. Although no specific viewing numbers were cited in any of the tweets, Pereyda said that the "baseline level of hits" for this season is comparable to the top levels in previous seasons.

A show they allow everyone to see doing good business is a "Surprise hit"?

I'd call it "Sensible business practices" myself.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
I'm surprised that Zakuro is second, since barely anyone talks about that show. Its my personal favorite of the seasons so far. The only other crunchy things I've seen are Panty & Stocking, which I dropped, and Fortune Arterial, which is on a three-episode test.
It may be that a drawcard of the show is how pretty the animation is, and that may be better at getting people to sample the show than at getting the chattering classes to chatter about it.

@williamflipper: I'm following SRWOG for a third episode, but calling its plot a shambles is no insult to it. If Funimation ever announces any of the remaining shows and I pick up one or two of those, I might well drop Señor W.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm confused. How is OG's plot shambles? I mean, it does require knowledge of the games. All the people I've seen who've played them say it makes perfect sense.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, I'm confused. How is OG's plot shambles? I mean, it does require knowledge of the games. All the people I've seen who've played them say it makes perfect sense.
Yes, that is the explanation I have heard for why the plot is a shambles: there is a lot of information that they just assume people have from the game.

But for a lot of the viewers, the fact that the plot is indecipherable to someone who is not already a fan of the games is neither here nor there, since they are just watching it for the mecha fights.

For the rest, though ... if only they had had a speech in a setting where the speaker could have flashed slides of clearly identified protaganist and antagonist ships and mechas while rambling on, to give people who never played the games a chance to catch up. But when could they possibly have had a chance to work something like that in, in the introductory episode?
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Yes, that is the explanation I have heard for why the plot is a shambles: there is a lot of information that they just assume people have from the game.

But for a lot of the viewers, the fact that the plot is indecipherable to someone who is not already a fan of the games is neither here nor there, since they are just watching it for the mecha fights.

For the rest, though ... if only they had had a speech in a setting where the speaker could have flashed slides of clearly identified protaganist and antagonist ships and mechas while rambling on, to give people who never played the games a chance to catch up. But when could they possibly have had a chance to work something like that in, in the introductory episode?

Right, but that's the thing. How can you say it's a shambles because of that? That would be like saying Kingdom Hearts II's plot is a mess because it would require knowledge of the previous two games or that Char's Counterattack is a mess because it would require knowledge of all the previous series.

Everybody I've seen who's played the games loves this show and thinks it's all fine. You can't blame the studio for doing this. I mean, all the sources that (barely) brought me up to speed took at least five paragraphs of text to explain it all.
gt_raxsa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Olivine wrote:
-Squid Girl at #6? And beat out by robits and boobfests? That's disappointing geso.

Hey. Don't knock the robots and boobfests until you try it. Especially the robots.

Sorry, but Kannazuki no Miko ruined that for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Olivine wrote:
-Squid Girl at #6? And beat out by robits and boobfests? That's disappointing geso.

Hey. Don't knock the robots and boobfests until you try it. Especially the robots.

Oh, the outrage! To paraphrase the poet of Funimation's PR department, anyone who with a heart loves Chikane and Himeko!

And destiny of the Shrine Maidens actually explains Japan's fascination with mecha, since it reveals that the ancient gods are actually mecha pilots themselves.

OTOH, there's no accounting for taste and while SRWOG is indeed a combined r&bfest, its not shrine maideny at all. Indeed, its integrated into the design of the mecha.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Olivine wrote:

Oh, the outrage! To paraphrase the poet of Funimation's PR department, anyone who with a heart loves Chikane and Himeko!

And destiny of the Shrine Maidens actually explains Japan's fascination with mecha, since it reveals that the ancient gods are actually mecha pilots themselves.

OTOH, there's no accounting for taste and while SRWOG is indeed a combined r&bfest, its not shrine maideny at all. Indeed, its integrated into the design of the mecha.

That wasn't my problem. The story was bad, the characters were boring out of hell, and I just begged for them to hurry up and either spoiler[fall in love or just kill each other].

Then again, I don't have a problem with shrine maidens at all. It's Boobfests I have a thing with, considering when someone tells me to watch this or that, it's like they're telling me to lower my standards and find entertainment in a girl showing her boobs for you. If that was the case, i'd go to a strip joint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
That wasn't my problem. The story was bad, the characters were boring out of hell, and I just begged for them to hurry up and ...
Like I said, there's no accounting for taste. And if they hurried up and did anything to resolve the relationship, there'd be no akogare to it.

Quote:
Then again, I don't have a problem with shrine maidens at all. It's Boobfests I have a thing with, considering when someone tells me to watch this or that, it's like they're telling me to lower my standards and find entertainment in a girl showing her boobs for you. If that was the case, i'd go to a strip joint.
If you know of a strip joint with giant mecha battles also going on, spill.

But if its only that, its easy to see why that would do well on the free streams at Crunchyroll ... there's no need to hurry up and hunt down fansubs to find out what happens next when what happens next is mainly who jiggles on what pretext. And there are any number of back catalog titles of equal depth available for watching in the meantime.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
That wasn't my problem. The story was bad, the characters were boring out of hell, and I just begged for them to hurry up and ...
Like I said, there's no accounting for taste. And if they hurried up and did anything to resolve the relationship, there'd be no akogare to it.

Quote:

Sorry, your eyes just aren't ready for the awesomeness that is Gundam SHWING!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Super Robot Wars OG 1 had about 20 playable characters so a recap would have been huge. Also Isurugi Industries who creates the antagonist machines, basically works for all sides so everyone has access to their machines. Also one of the villains has a large amounts of Gespenst which was the first mass production mecha of the Earth Federation. Though if you need a detailed recap with a ton of pictures Fencedude has posted one here http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=102970

As for the plot being in shambles, keep in mind that Banpresto could be considered the experts of mecha anime, so they basically know every trick in the business. The two elements that people should be really confused about is the first 5 minutes and the unknowns that appeared in the second episode both of those will be explained as the series goes on

Last edited by Charred Knight on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Right, but that's the thing. How can you say it's a shambles because of that?

If shambles was a poor choice of words, swap in "indecipherable".

Quote:
That would be like saying Kingdom Hearts II's plot is a mess because it would require knowledge of the previous two games or that Char's Counterattack is a mess because it would require knowledge of all the previous series.
An anime that is based on an original work in another medium does indeed have a responsibility to make the base outline of what is going on clear to those who have not seen the story in the other medium.

And indeed a broadcast series that is a sequel to an OVA has much the same responsibility to give the rough lay of the land.

Quote:
... You can't blame the studio for doing this. I mean, all the sources that (barely) brought me up to speed took at least five paragraphs of text to explain it all.
Who else is there to blame? Whether or not the rough lay of the land is laid out for someone who has not played the games is one of the creative decisions they made.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

I read this just before leaving work and literally LOL'd.

It was a good thing the shop was already closed and I was alone. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5