• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds Dive in the Vampire Bund Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ohhh, so the Strawberry Panic light novels will finally be finished?!! Shocked

PEOPLE BUY THIS!!!

I totally second and third such an opinion. And I almost forgot about the manga omnibus. Gotta go track that down for the extra chapters it includes.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
With the LN fully completed, we finally going to have the complete story of Strawberry Panic soon! It almost feels surreal that we got nearly every media incarnation here in the U.S. (except of course that PS2 game).
pasteloverdose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Strawberry Panic LNs. That's great. I've always loved omnibus editions, too. Nice to have everything in one place Smile
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The date the Strawberry panic novel omnibus currently has is June 2011 (that's from their website). Things like page count are blatently wrong (vol-1+2+3 shouldn't be shorter than 1+2) tho' so I assume that's very tentative.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
The date the Strawberry panic novel omnibus currently has is June 2011 (that's from their website). Things like page count are blatently wrong (vol-1+2+3 shouldn't be shorter than 1+2) tho' so I assume that's very tentative.

Actually, considering that the first two volumes were released in a very small size (roughly 4" x 6"), it's possible that the whole thing can fit in fewer pages if the omnibus edition is larger/bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
http://gomanga.com/news/press_049.php
Press release for Strawberry panic up.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

PEOPLE BUY THIS!!!

Will do. Only have volume one of the novels. I'll pass on the manga omnibus since I already have vols. 1 & 2.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

PEOPLE BUY THIS!!!

Will do. Only have volume one of the novels. I'll pass on the manga omnibus since I already have vols. 1 & 2.

The omnibus contains two manga chapters that's never been published into a manga volume so it all depends if you want those.
holangjai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I am stoked that I'll finally get to finish this series. Now I REALLY REALLY wish they'd do the same for BALLAD OF A SHINIGAMI!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
I've never read any of Strawberry Panic!, so I don't know if I'm particularly interested in it, but I'll definitely be picking it up to encourage Seven Seas to release more light novels. They have other licenses that I'd love to see released but haven't been releasing them due to the poor sales of other light novel series. So, if we want them to release more light novels, we really need to buy what they do release.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I wish my joy at this news weren't tainted by the sting of having to have waited so damn long and for essentially having wasted my money on the first two volumes of the SP light novels but I will buy this. I had hoped for some time to FINALLY be able to enjoy Strawberry Panic in a complete format suitiable to my tastes. (Anime went sub-only and the manga died so the LNs, which I ended up liking the best anyway, going into limbo was quite rage-enducing and depressing.)

Personally, I recommend this omnibus to anyone who hasn't previously read the LNs. Strawberry Panic's anime went far too "soap opera" but the light novels are actually quite good and well-written. The translation of the first two was superb and natural. If nothing else, there's more to the plot than just the Yuri angle.

Also great to see a side-story licensed for Dance in the Vampire Bund. Sounds like an interesting one too. (Does anyone else find it vaguely ironic that people initially freaked over a little naked Mina imagery early on but this manga is clearly a big hit for SS?)
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I've always been strongly against loli stuff, and I must say Bund the manga isn't really offending me in any way. It's a neat little action/horror series so far.

I haven't spotted anything that overtly sexualizes Mina yet; she's just a small vampire chick, I shrugged and kinda moved on to the story. There wasn't any attempt in my mind to put her in 'sexy' poses or what have you. I'm only on Vol. 3 though, so maybe it goes downhill?

I'm not sure I want to even go near the anime, though. I've heard stories (spoiler[icky-sounding OP and ED coupled with a hella dodgy lotion scene, which explicitly do pander to loli fans]). Confused

In Jonathon Clements' excellent Manga Snapshot column for NEO Magazine, he wrote an interesting piece about this manga, basically looking at it as having subtext relating to the declining birth rate in Japan.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
I'm only on Vol. 3 though, so maybe it goes downhill?

I'm at volume 7. No, it does not go downhill. The only yucky scene I recall was the "test" the elders forced on Mina, who's only purpose was to make the reader feel a certain way about the elder. That way being "murderous".
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
VAMPIRES? YEAH THATLL MAKE MONEY! MONEEEEYYYYY!!! MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, do more Boogiepop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2