• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Beating Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess this means it's almost time for me to retire my brick of an old DS.

That RE Mercenaries game looks great. I'm surprised how nice the graphics engine on the 3DS is and I loved playing the mercenaries modes on the other RE games so I'll have to check that out.

Not too cool on the Tales of the Abyss remake though - I absolutely hated that game, totally in my least favorite Ps2 JRPG grouping. But I guess the Tales Studio is doing whatever they can to save themselves even though they've released remakes of almost every other game they've made once or twice already.

And even though a lot of the new 3DS titles were just revealed, Atlus hasn't showed anything about their games yet and I really want to know more about them besides the titles.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Still have the old DS as well. I was going to get a DSi for Shantae, but now that the 3DS can do that, it is best to wait. And I love the looks of that Chocobo game, so I'll get one eventually. But it they decide to price it that high, I'll just have to wait it out. It'll be a plus if they do revisions.

Its hard to defend the DSi. Sure, you can play DSiware and enhanced DSi games, but now its region locked(as in you can't play Japanese DSi games or enhanced like Pokemon Black/White). I think there is no GBA slot as well. But if you don't mind all that and want things big, it could be useful for you. It won't be a big waste if you have plenty of DS games to tie you over till the price of 3DS is just right for you.

I hope Namco releases Abyss 3DS. They could enhanced the anime and the game title to help both things out. But, I don't think Namco would care to do that. Sad
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
Considering the amount of awesome games from LAUNCH, I'm perfectly fine with the 3DS's price. I'd rather have it first than a PS3, as it took too long for the latter to get enough good games in its library.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Still have the old DS as well. I was going to get a DSi for Shantae, but now that the 3DS can do that, it is best to wait.

Man, that is EXACTLY what I am doing. I got the original DS back when it launched and haven't bought any of the new incarnations. Yes, I still have the big ass, blocky DS and it is still serving me perfectly fine, no need to buy a new one every year! Only downside of course is DSiware, as I don't have access to that...

I am gonna be all over the 3DS like a fly on a turd when that thing comes out. IMO that is an upgrade worth doing. If Nintendo follows their previous patterns, they will release a 3DS Lite about a year after the 3DS, then one with a few extra features the next year, then maybe XL and Lite versions of that one a year or 2 later... AKA no reason to get a new one unless they pull DSiWare crap and make it so you NEED the upgrade to play certain new games.

That, and portable gaming is about the only gaming I do these days. I buy a new game a few times a year for a regular console, but these days nothing I am interested in seems to be coming out on anything but the portable systems with any regularity.

Except for Ken's Rage, thats gonna be my first TV console game I buy in months.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Hey, maybe Square will release this for the iPhone WHICH I DON'T HAVE AND DON'T WANT.

Ugh, I know how that is. It makes me sad seeing all these iPhone exclusives out there that I want to play, but never will cause I refuse to get an iPhone.

They could at least have the decency to release some of those games on Android phones. Maybe itl be better when Windows Phone 7 launches in a few days, as it is APPARENTLY designed with gaming in mind. (full disclosure: I don't have a smart phone at all yet, my cell phone is a brick from the 90's).

Of course I am just whining here, same basic thing we have all been seeing/saying for years in regards to any other form of game console exclusivity....
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
I hate to be "that guy" but I have to point out that the DS isn't a Game Boy. The Game Boy line ended with the Micro.

I have a DS Lite that I got for Christmas in 2006. I've been happy with it these past 4 years, though i have wanted a DSi lately for some DSi Ware... though I guess I am waiting for the 3DS to come out instead. It's nice to know these things in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Interesting line up.

I'm a bit pissed that it's taking this long for a MML3 to come out. I mean c'mon by this time folks will stop caring. I'm sure there is some reason. Folks want a new installment since the last one ended on "such" cliffhanger. Folks been waiting for a MML3 the same way others had been waiting for a new 'Tail Concerto'. But on DS? They're better off just putting on the Wii and call it a day. I'm kind of getting sick of companies creating 3D graphic games for the DS. While they might be pushing the hardware they're still limiting the work by putting it on a small system. After all goofy stuff like this isn't for the PS3. Not here anyway.

I'm sort of interested in the new 'Lufia' game. However I wish they hadn't changed it so much. I never even had a chance to play the original. As for the new FF game... why don't they try porting something that should have been ported years ago. Like say, 'Bahamut Lagoon' or the 'Romancing Saga' games. They would be perfect for the DS/DSi. I like the design for the character of the new FF game. Looks like FFIV DS artist is getting more work.

I gotta buy another DS Lite, mine broke down. Now I'm wondering if I should buy a 3DS or a DSi LL?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Oh, nvm. Read it wrong.

Odds are, I'll definitely get the 3DS. I'm just not sure when. It promises alot outside of games too so I'm waiting to hear more about those features before I decide when I want it. Definitely looking forward to Kid Icarus and Megaman Legends. I was kinda disappointed when I finally saw gameplay of Megaman Universe so Legends news was great to hear.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I heart this column. Firstly, I love Barbara's design!! I don't have much time/patience to play RPGs these days, but Barbara looks so cool. I demand figurines of her. Also I can't believe there's a Hudson-plug anime featuring Takahashi Meijin!! As a big fan of the Adventure Island games, I can't help but be curious, even though that anime sounds terrible! I was always pretty sure the line on "Master Higgins" face was a combo mouth/fat-man-chin ALA Peter Griffin.

Also, is it just me, or is that cover art for Sengoku Basara incredibly lame? The hidden image tags killed me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Make that two people "hoping they don't screw up" the remake of Lufia II. Lufia II may not have had one thing that was special, but it did everything so well that it's one of my favorites (Though that fire arrow and plants puzzle is one of the reasons they invented GameFAQs). I wonder if the Sinistrals will still use completely out-of-character 90s slang.....

(A Spoiler in that, yes, this is the final boss, but not much of a spoiler in anything else)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/henryjones/l_f637297f69b642fdbf73d75f71651b1fpng.jpg
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
... That's it. I'm done with Nintendo for a good while. I just got my Gameboy DS Lite last year, only to have the DSi come out right after, and now there's a 3DS? Is my DS obsolete already?

Oh hell no. I'll stick to just playing a PSP now while you guys attempt to mimic the cel phone format, outdoing previous releases within a year. I don't want this with my gaming systems. I refuse to buy a new gameboy until five years have passed.

Goodness, that's a fair bit of uneeded anger! First, the DS lite came out 3 years before you bought it (and it was just a slim version of the normal DS from 2004). You have to assume that you're not going to get as much use before it's 'upgraded'. Plus, the DSi was released in Japan at the end of 2008... a quick bit of research when you bought the lite last year and you've known it was already 'behind'.

Secondly, DSi isn't really much of an upgrade... you're basically trading GBA compatibility for DSiWare. Unless there's a lot of DSiWare you want, you've no real reason to switch.

It's not Nintendo's job to push old system so you don't have to upgrade as often... they want to make money. You just buy the systems that have games you want, when you want. I'm still using my old phat DS that I got in 2005 (the Pearl Pink one). I saw no need for lite, it was basically the same system. I saw no need for a DSi, I've yet to find any DSiware I really want. I like the bigger screens of the DSiXL, but I've gotten used to having a pink system, so I'm not getting one unless it becomes available in a nice pink (not that Candy pink they've been using, I don't like it.) There's nothing to be upset about, I'm not boycotting anyone- I'm just waiting for the product I want to buy, and the best time to buy it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Intro: Wow Todd, since when did you start doing Buried Garbage articles? Lol Anime hyper

Megaman Legends 3: It will be glorious...but does it have to be for the 3DS? I mean really now.

Dead or Alive: What was that about Hitomi disliking people kicking dinosaurs in front of her?

Tales of the Abyss: It's a port, but I wonder what they'll add. Bearing in mind that we got the complete version of Abyss, Japan probably did this to make filler for the upcoming Tales games and for them to enjoy the hi-ougis they didn't get in their version. I bet they've been bitter about it all this time. It makes you want to haha at them if that is actually the case. They will also forbid the U.S. from having it as usual (though I wonder why anyone here should care, we got the complete version on PS2; a port is pointless unless it has extras).

Warriors of Light and Darkness: Your paragraph reminds me I still need to download and play After Years. I've always loved Cecil's story back in FF4, one of my all-time favorite RPGs ever, so the continuation is something I must invest. As for the new game, I haven't much to say except don't hate on the iPhone Todd (your caption for the screenshot); it rocks enough for most people, including me (Anime hyper). I have to say though the comment about being raised by dragons did remind of Emerald Dragon too (mainly because it had a compelling story and dragon designs by Ryukihei). I think a human being raised by dragons is one of the most unique story premises out there. Who knows, this might come here. FF is a saturated franchise after all and the U.S. eats it up all the time, even if some of the games are bad and horrendously stupid.

ClaDun: I must be the only person who thinks this whole retro gaming thing is stupid. I didn't play Half a Minute Hero or 3D Dot Heroes and I will pass this over too. I did find the whole "retro into modern gaming" thing cute when Half a Minute came out, but if it's going to turn into a fad where they try to imitate retro RPGs with chiptunes and pixel sprites every other month, then count me out of the discussion.

Curse of the Sinistrals: Let me be honest here. I played and completed Ruins of Lore, despite how un-Lufia it was (it was just a generic RPG that had Lufia slapped on the cover really). I didn't like it very much and the monster system was not very engaging despite I had an awesome party of dinosaurs and dragons by the end. This new Lufia, which is the first real revival of the series since its supposed "sleep of eternity", changes a bit too much for my taste. Tia being an eccentric gadget-girl (she reminds me too much of Lu from Suikoden V) and Bart being changed into a woman are a bit over the top for me. The new "one-hero-at-a-time" dungeon battle system is equally odd. I wonder how much of the original story has been altered to fit these changes especially since I saw a screenshot of Gades in your party. If this had been released on the PSP instead of the DS, I could gauge it myself. I miss the good old days of Lufia.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
In fact, Ken's Rage will be even more violent than its Japanese counterpart. It'll also have an extra stage, tweaked controls for bike-riding, and voice acting in both English and Japanese. I can only hope they get James Avery (Uncle Phil in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and The Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) to reprise his role from the original Fist of the North Star film. Interestingly, KOEI's also going so far as to offer GameStop exclusives: the corpulent Mr. Heart and two extra levels are available only if you get the game there.

So all these new additions will probably get some people in Japan to import?

Good. Now they know how we feel...
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jesus but the 3DS really does seem like a less appealling prospect with every fresh bit of news from it. 300 dollars is taking the proverbial for a start, but those screens show the visuals really have been downgraded substantially from the E3 footage of stuff like Resi Revelations. I think I'll be waiting a while to buy this one.

On a happier note, looking forward to Fist of the North Star. Loved the original anime series. Also, the demo of Sengoku Basara on PS3 was surprisingly fun, so I may get it seeing as it's coming in at a low retail price.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow Inafune, you put the Japanese dev community on blast at TGS '10, and then you bust out with a triple A title...on a handheld? I swear Japanese dev companies are the bigger fans of the handheld platform than the consumers.

Let's call a spade a spade, they're doing this to boost projected hardware sales, I hate it when they do this.

SB3 and HNK musou are gonna be hot fire.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
YESS! I finally get to explode heads of millions of useless cpus with Kenshiro's awesome mid-blowing Fist!
Been watching a lot of Fist of the North Star lately. Very Happy

Sengoku Basara 3 is also on my list to get!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3