• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruhi Suzumiya and Synesthesia.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I've thought about this quite a bit, considering that in real life I have Synesthesia. Is Haruhi Suzumiya a Synesthete? I remember her once suggesting that days are associated with colors, which is a phenomenon I'm rather familiar with. Would anyone else agree that she is, or is this yet another example of simply how she behaves a little strangely?

Thanks!
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
As our experience of the world as having specific differentiated qualities is intimately tied to our own distinct organs of perception and mental faculties and concepts, I can image that a spoiler[god] might well have a different take on things. Maybe synaesthesia is how spoiler[omniscience appears to mortals.] Laughing
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, well as a real life synesthete, I'll take that as a compliment Laughing
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Shocked So I'm not the only weirdo with it in here...

The world is certainly a colorful place...whether you want it to be or not. Now, regarding Haruhi, I don't think it's synesthesia per say - it seems more like an emotional response. Kind of like how people like to associate mondays with the color blue, hence "blue monday." No pun intended E7 fans...

That said, if you wanna watch some crazy shit with synesthesia in it, supposedly, according to the logic of the anime Canaan, being able to identify letters and numbers with colors gives you superhuman agility, top marksmanship, and the power to dodge bullets.

Yep, by the logic of Kinoko Nasu, synesthesia is a superpower. Kind of like how LSD chips are...whatever they were in KnK 7...

It's totally realistic.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
For Haruhi I think it is a combination of a desire for a system of correspondences, such as in astrology, and the nature of the Japanese names for the days of the week. In English, the source of some of the days of the week are not obvious, but in Japanese there is a direct connection to Sun, Moon, Fire, Water, Tree, Gold, and Earth, which are easy to assign colors to.

The anime/manga that always brought synesthesia to my mind was Moyashimon.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
As our experience of the world as having specific differentiated qualities is intimately tied to our own distinct organs of perception and mental faculties and concepts, I can image that a spoiler[god] might well have a different take on things. Maybe synaesthesia is how spoiler[omniscience appears to mortals.] Laughing

Well, that's fine for spoiler[Yurie Hitotsubashi], but what about Haruhi? Razz
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
ailblentyn wrote:

Well, that's fine for spoiler[Yurie Hitotsubashi], but what about Haruhi? Razz
spoiler[Yurie] had other super-powers too, didn't she, like the uncanny, spoiler[god-like] ability to mar what could have been a truly great series by having the world's most clicheed and pointless spoiler[alien encounter.] Razz Razz
(I was only disappointed because I cared.)
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Synesthesia isn't something that is in an on/off state you know folks? Most people have it to varying degrees. Like as mentioned how most people associate monday's with blue for no apparent reason. There was a test done somewhere and they would play musical notes and the audience would have to write down what color it made them think off and there was a shocking level of convergence. It is rarer for it to be prominent however there was a noted conductor who used to tell his band to be more "Blue" or "Yellow" to describe the mood of the music he wanted. A Clear Synesthete.

As a humerous addition certain recreational drugs have also been known to cause extreme synesthesia and it is worth noting they cause it in everyone. Because of this it is believed synesthesia results from something unusual happening during a childs learning experience that makes their senses that way. Rather than genetic it is something learned at the primal level when one is learning to use the input from their senses. And in the right circumstances can be braught out in anyone.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I was raised okay. :/ Lol. I didn't have a screwed up childhood or anything. My grandpa was also a synesthete, which makes me lean towards the genetic argument.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Synesthesia isn't something that is in an on/off state you know folks? Most people have it to varying degrees. Like as mentioned how most people associate monday's with blue for no apparent reason.

Oh, you're absolutely right! I should have phrased that differently; I apologize. I should say I'm an extreme synesthete, with several different kinds of associations, though the associations between glyphs, words and colors is probably the one most people would be familiar with.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was raised okay. :/ Lol. I didn't have a screwed up childhood or anything. My grandpa was also a synesthete, which makes me lean towards the genetic argument.

Hehe that really isn't what I was trying to imply. I merely mean that the child has an unusual experience that changes the way the brain processes data. It dousn't have to be a bad experience. When you are young youre personality is being constantly shaped by your experiences. I was merely saying that synesthesia is probably the result of an unusual (As in not often experienced since strong synesthesia is relatively rare) experience. While the brain is in effect learning to be a brain. In the years/months before youre earliest memories. A Fireworks display or a particularly engaging piece of music might even do it in youre first few years. You see what I mean?

Quote:
Oh, you're absolutely right! I should have phrased that differently; I apologize.

He he no worries mate I wasn't really looking to correct anyone in particular only wanted to make that clear since it wasn't already Smile

Last edited by RHachicho on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
-- Sorry double post pressed reply by accident instead of edit --
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
Unusual experiences, hm?

Hm. One time, when I was a kid, I had a melon salad! The significance in this being that I was never really the melon salad type of person...

Indeed... So, going by Kinoko Nasu's logic...devouring melon salad gives you bullet-dodgy super-eyesight. :/ So all that Ua virus crap was completely unnecessary...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1