• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Should ANN Review its own Simulcasts?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:

Well you see, the thing is, I would respect their reviews a lot more if they weren't a bunch of haters (loli haters, moe haters, fanservice haters, ecchi haters, et.c.). How can I respect someone if all that's behind their reviews is hate? You see what I'm saying man? They're just way too unfair (remember their Kiss X Sis review?). Zac pretty much inferred that any one who thoroughly enjoyed that show (such as myself) were trash. Sorry, but I'll be damned if I let some fool even so much as INSINUATE that I'm trash.

I'm flattered that of the 7 or so different opinions we run during the preview guides and among the 5 staff critics, my opinion is the only one that matters to you.

You're the only one that insinuated that those enjoyed Kiss x Sis were trash (more directly so than anyone else for that matter) so it's no wonder that your particular opinion mattered to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think ANN - or any other outlet - should review anything that it has licensed. It's not that I would expect that the reviewers would turn into propaganda machines - it is purely to maintain a perception of evenhandedness. If anything, I could imagine reviewers bending over backwards to be more harsh than is warranted, purely to avoid an appearance of favouritism. Better to avoid the optics all together.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:

You're the only one that insinuated that those enjoyed Kiss x Sis were trash (more directly so than anyone else for that matter) so it's no wonder that your particular opinion mattered to me.

I implied the show was for creeps, not trash. I wouldn't describe all creeps as trash, although I'm sure some are, that'd be unfair!

Wasn't my finest moment but man did I hate that show and everything it stood for. Sorry it got your knickers in a twist, but c'est la vie. That's why we published 6 other reviews.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:

I implied the show was for creeps, not trash. I wouldn't describe a creep as trash, although I'm sure some are, that'd be unfair! ...
Excellent Venn Diagram story problem.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Zac wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:

I implied the show was for creeps, not trash. I wouldn't describe a creep as trash, although I'm sure some are, that'd be unfair! ...

Excellent Venn Diagram story problem.

Ha! I was just thinking about creating one!

Also, infer =/= imply, no matter how much some wish it were otherwise.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:

I implied the show was for creeps, not trash. I wouldn't describe a creep as trash, although I'm sure some are, that'd be unfair!

Wasn't my finest moment but man did I hate that show and everything it stood for. Sorry it got your knickers in a twist, but c'est la vie.

Yeah, and I'm not a creep either fool. See this is why need PROFESSIONALS do to reviews and not some wannabee in it only for a paycheck. I honestly wish that whoever's in charge over there at ANN would just fire you and the rest of those considering themselves reviewers and let true anime fans do the reviewing. At least then, we could get a fair review and not some baseless garbage you call a review.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, "true anime fans" like kissxsis?
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Yikes, "true anime fans" like kissxsis?

Not like per se....... give it a fair chance.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, kissxsis only got more and more perverse past the first episode, not less.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
There probably should have been a comment section with the actual votes.

Personally I don't see a big problem with reviewing your own stuff. While there is a possible conflict of interest, I don't really get a sense that there would be many if any instances of favoritism or whatever. You guys have always been pretty open about your opinions of likes and dislikes. Plenty of other sites do the same thing with their products and associates and do so unbiasly. Heck, some blogs play favorites too or are paid to do so that doesn't mean blogs or other sites are nesscarily better then others. In the end it's your opinions. And in the end, it's our opinions about your opinions. Even if it wasn't a conflict of interest, you know people are just gonna call you out for either being hypocrites (if you like it) or being a hater (for not liking it). So why stop here or give special treatment? Like someone said earlier, your reviews are nice or fun or whatever but in the end, I'll decide if I like something or not.

As for Kiss Sis; whatever. You like what you like. Some people apparently like the show on crunchyroll about angels and winged penises. Good for them. I'm sure its funny.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
I honestly wish that whoever's in charge over there at ANN would just fire you [Zac.]

Well, this little comment certainly made me laugh.

Anyway, Zac's "reviews" on these Preview Guides are meant just to entertain. Zac knows this. I look forward to his reviews (though strangely his take on Bakuman actually seemed like a review) just so I can be entertained. Sometimes I agree with his "reviews" and sometimes I do not, but they are almost always entertaining.

EDIT: Oh and about this little survey, I have no problem with ANN reviewing its own stuff. At least, not until you start charging money for whatever you stream or start putting out DVD/BD/whatever-the-next-format-is (it could happen it 10-15 years!). I don't mind. If I start noticing that the reviews are a little too soft for your own streaming series though, then my perception of ANN's reviewers' credibility will decrease quite a bit.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... well, bored-otaku, given that you already don't trust ANN's reviews and think the entire review staff should be fired, I fail to see how you could trust ANN reviews of their own simulcasts any less than you do their other reviews.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Hmm... well, bored-otaku, given that you already don't trust ANN's reviews and think the entire review staff should be fired, I fail to see how you could trust ANN reviews of their own simulcasts any less than you do their other reviews.

I don't trust them at all, be it for a simulcast or general anime review.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
bored-otaku wrote:
I honestly wish that whoever's in charge over there at ANN would just fire you [Zac.]

Well, this little comment certainly made me laugh.

Anyway, Zac's "reviews" on these Preview Guides are meant just to entertain. Zac knows this. I look forward to his reviews (though strangely his take on Bakuman actually seemed like a review) just so I can be entertained. Sometimes I agree with his "reviews" and sometimes I do not, but they are almost always entertaining.

I can't deny that I did find a few of Zac's reviews "entertaining", but there needs to come a point where you say " alright, I've had my fun. Time to get serious now" and not add any insulting stuff (like certain anime being only for "creeps")
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I don't trust them at all, be it for a simulcast or general anime review.

Exactly the point I was making. In other words, you really shouldn't care whether they decide to review their simulcasts or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11