• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strange anime habits?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Do you do odd things when you're watching or preparing to watch anime? Is there a special TV you watch it on, a certain outfit you wear, a specific sitting pose? Do you mouth along with subtitles or leave the encyclopedia open so you can identity actors?

How about when you buy anime? Do you have a victory dance when you win an ebay auction? Perhaps you crack your knuckles before you rearrange your shelves after receiving a large package?

My own personal oddity is one I actually just recently realized. When I get shipping confirmation for items, I start making room on my shelf for them. I suppose I do it since I have a sizable collection and trying to make up room as I go is a pain, especially since everything needs to be in alphabetical order. It's just easier to have the space planned ahead of time so that when the items do arrive, I just have to put them in the holes.

I've also done the knuckle cracking-thing, but it's only when I get a new shelf. It doesn't actually help with anything, but it makes reorganizing more dramatic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you have a victory dance when you win an ebay auction?

Haha, dancing for a bootleg.

I have a habit of pausing anime and checking what's else is on TV, e-mail, etc.. I don't know if it's because I'm not interested in what I'm watching. Even just now I paused House of Five Leaves to type this up.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a victory dance when you win an ebay auction?

Haha, dancing for a bootleg.

Or dancing after winning all 13 singles for Kodocha for less than $30.

Quote:
I have a habit of pausing anime and checking what's else is on TV, e-mail, etc.. I don't know if it's because I'm not interested in what I'm watching. Even just now I paused House of Five Leaves to type this up.

See, I have trouble with multitasking while watching anime. When I watch anime, I watch anime. I don't eat, I put my computer to sleep, and I just keep my fingers over the Play/Pause/Fast Forward/Rewind buttons. Even when I watch streams the episode stays up uninterrupted. I'm not like that with any other type of media, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I circle my living room three times, bay like a water buffalo and throw a pinch of nutmeg over my left shoulder while praying to a Polynesian shark god. But that doesn't qualify as strange does it?

I guess the only thing that might be considered strange is that I seem to keep an inordinate amount of lists that need to be updated every time I buy/sell/trade anime or manga. I have:

1. A master list in Word that alphabetically lists all my titles, which ones I've watched, which DVDs are titles that I have never seen in any form, which DVDs I have lent out, etc. I started this list years ago before I was into anime to keep track of my collection. Naturally, once I started collecting anime, I just added it to the master list.

2. My ANN lists. No point in going into detail about these since you can check 'em out if you want.

3. My DVD Aficiando list.

4. At work I have a Word doc list of just those anime TV series titles I own but haven't watched yet. This is a handy way to keep track of my Backlog.

5. Also at work, I have a Word doc that lists the manga I own and another one for my manga wishlist. I do this so I can print them out and have them with me if I'm in a second hand book store to keep track I've what I have and what I'm looking for.

6. Yet another Word doc list to keep track of what packages I'm scheduled to get, as well as a list of things I want to get (including their announced release dates if that info is available).

7. I actually registered at MAL a little while ago, but haven't really committed to it because it would take so much time to input all my current info. Plus, there are limits to even my list OCD.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Unlike The King of Harts, my computer is quite active when I'm watching anime. My software is tweaked quite significantly to overcome regional restrictions, "unskippable" warning messages and default language settings, though it isn't quite perfect. When watching a DVD, I firstly make alterations to the size of the frame manually. Often the disc isn't flawlessly mastered, such that the frame is surrounded by a black border. After zooming and nudging the video image until it fits snugly within my monitor, I quickly save a "definition file" via a keyboard shortcut. Such files instruct the software to instantly re-apply these alterations upon re-inserting the same disc.

Now, if the audio tracks have been poorly labelled, such that my auto-detect settings fail, further steps are necessary. I open the disc's newly-created definitions file and insert a line of code instructing the player to execute a special program. This program sends a virtual keyboard combination to the player as it reads the definition file, causing it to alter the audio language to meet my preferences as it begins playback.
The tags on the audio tracks embedded within most DVDs are automatically identified however, such that the software performs this "switch" automatically.

Should I wish to watch a Japanese raw DVD, of which only two are in my collection, a further process of selecting and manually re-timing an external .stl (subtitle) file is required using a special filter. Fortunately, it is extremely rare that I need to do such tasks.

Like Blood-, I update my online collection lists upon obtaining new titles. Fortunately, I only have an ANN, MAL and IMDB account to alter. (My DVD Afictionado profile is in want of a significant update, but most of my R2 titles aren't yet listed in their database. One would have to submit such entries manually.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I've also been doing an MyAnime list for just little stuff I want to remember that I saw. Don't really have to, but when its on my mind, I do it.

Are there options of showing/not showing your MyAnime list for public? Can't seem to find it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
*Well when I finish a DVD and/or DVD set I rearrange my anime shelves for it. I keep them in alphabetical or "franchise/creation" order so it's simple to find things. IE ABC, etc. except when corresponding sequels to things disturb the order of things. For instance Banner of the Stars I and II are sequels to Crest of the Stars so I put them after COTS instead of with the Bs.

*I also make a point of alternating language tracks upon repeat viewings if the discs are bilingual. For instance if I watched a series subbed last I'd watch the dub this time and vise versa.

*I regularly and actively keep track of all the anime I've seen and DVDs I own via this site and others.

Haterater wrote:
I've also been doing an MyAnime list for just little stuff I want to remember that I saw. Don't really have to, but when its on my mind, I do it.

Are there options of showing/not showing your MyAnime list for public? Can't seem to find it.

Click "Customize My Catagories" which will be on the right bar as one of the options in the MY Anime area. Find the list and Public option is near the bottom.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes if there's a scene I like, I'll go back and watch it dubbed (or vice-versa if I'm already watching it dubbed) to compare scenes.

I also must watch all my physical anime on this cool TV I have. Never on my laptop cause it's like super-lame and stuff.

Sometimes I use my PS3 for Crunchyroll.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, for the last year or so I've been meaning to alphabetize my DVD collection, but at the moment, the only semblance of organization is that I keep various shows and franchises together, as well as keeping various genres in the same general area (e.g. Higurashi is next to Elfen Lied, All the Key shows together etc.).

As for watching anime, I used to only watch anime in the evening and/or late at night, largely because this is the only time I have access to a tv with a good sound system. Aside from this, the only other thing that I can think of is that, if I'm drinking beer, I try to synch it up with the show. European beer for shows set in European fantasy worlds, British ber if I'm watching Hellsing, that sort of thing. But that's really all I can think of.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only guy that holds a pile for the anime that he hasn't watched yet? I don't shelve my anime right as I get them.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
There are a few strange habits that I have to fulfil each time I watch anime.

Firstly, I can only watch anime at night - around 10pm onward. I just don't enjoy it if it's not around that time.

Secondly, I use my PC to watch anime because I don't have a DVD player. The quirky part is that I don't actually enjoy sitting at my computer to watch anime. Instead, I have to re-angle my monitor, set up X-padder (a program that lets me control my mouse with my Xbox controller), then watch and control from my bed.

Lastly, I have to have food. Nothing major, I just have to have some sort of snack or whatever when I begin watching. Even if it's just a couple of breadsticks or something. It usually only lasts for about 2 minutes out of a 2 hour viewing session, but I just... have to do it. It's like a ritual.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Am I the only guy that holds a pile for the anime that he hasn't watched yet? I don't shelve my anime right as I get them.

No, I have one of those too, right next to the pile of unread books.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Sometimes if there's a scene I like, I'll go back and watch it dubbed (or vice-versa if I'm already watching it dubbed) to compare scenes.

I do something similar where when I'm watching the dub and notice something that's obviously been changed (wouldn't make sense for anime) I'll rewind back to see what it was in Japanese. I think it has to do with my interest in creative writing and seeing what the script writers had to work with...and see if I can come up with something better.

Fifth B wrote:
Aside from this, the only other thing that I can think of is that, if I'm drinking beer, I try to synch it up with the show. European beer for shows set in European fantasy worlds, British ber if I'm watching Hellsing, that sort of thing. But that's really all I can think of.

That's pretty awesome. This is gonna sound like a weird question, but does it affect your buzz when you match the beer to the show? Like, is your British beer buzz when watching Hellsing different than your German beer buzz when watching Monster? I don't know why I think it'd be different, but I gotta ask.

KanjiiZ wrote:

I've heard of other people doing that, but I couldn't do it. I don't even like keeping my sell pile separate, that's why it's at the other end of my room. I've also heard of people who fold the DVDs down they haven't watched so it sticks out, reminding them they haven't seen it.

Even though my memory sucks, I'm pretty good at keeping track of my backlog. Besides, I scan my collection often, so I'm usually reminded of the shows I haven't seen.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I put my glasses on, making sure that the lenses are perfectly clean, not a spot or a scratch. I tune everyone and everything out. The whole world gone, I let myself, my whole being, my soul get sucked into the screen. Everything drowned out by the sounds from my headphones. No one can bother me, even if you say something directly, I won't even hear it even if I wanted to. All my senses are channeled. The whole world could be crumbling down around me, and I probably would have no idea.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I circle my living room three times, bay like a water buffalo and throw a pinch of nutmeg over my left shoulder while praying to a Polynesian shark god. But that doesn't qualify as strange does it?

hehehe This made me just giggle strangely out loud. Even though this doesn't happen often someone always happens to walk by just as I'm doing something really creepy.

I don't know if I have any strange habits. I don't count eating large quantities of candy as strange though.... Well I have to be lying down on my bed with my laptop like really close to my face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2