• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Considers Porco Rosso Film Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
francescon2 wrote:
a war that in many ways served as practice for WW2.
There is something unhinged and unsettling about that statement. You make it sound like a dress rehearsal. Rolling Eyes For the record Hitler's Germany, and the Italian government at that time helped Franco to airlift his army into Spain and basically supported him and his facists right up to the end. But as Miyazaki had Porko being against the Italian military I don't see him helping the facists. unless as a flying mercenary Wink
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
One could indeed argue that it was somewhat of a dress rehearsal. Guernica, and the lesser known Durango a month earlier, where the first times blitzkrieg tactics were used by the Luftwaffe. They definitely used what they learned there in WWII.

I very much would not like to see Porco in any way helping either the Nazis or the slightly less odious Franco, but I doubt that would happen anyway. Maybe he could help "Papa Joe" Stalin's troops. Oops, another minefield. Maybe he should just stick to helping the international volunteer troops. Eh, I kind of doubt this movie will ever happen anyway.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Maybe he could help "Papa Joe" Stalin's troops.
Well as Miyazaki is a proclaimed card carrying Commie, That might be not that far implausible. Wink
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Maybe he could help "Papa Joe" Stalin's troops.
Well as Miyazaki is a proclaimed card carrying Commie, That might be not that far implausible. Wink

While we're having our Pretentious Political Thread-Drift, is it worth pointing out that Miyazaki said in more recent interviews that he probably won't be pursuing Porco II?
It was a nice idea, but he "couldn't make it work", and said that he still wanted to do his next original story with a boy protagonist, but it would "probably end up being a girl anyway".

(And yes, he's still whining about iPad users being "out of touch" with nature and humanity, because that's what old ex-Communists do... Razz Although to be fair, US i-device users have nothing on obsessed Japanese users, so have to take some context into consideration.)
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I have just read an article on different news site using the same Cut article as a basis that gave the impression that Ghibli shutting down could still be a possibility as the interview is in present tense and said "If Borrowers doesn't do well". With said site concluding they must mean in the American market what with it already being released in Japan. I am more inclined to trust ANN as I know this site better than that one but I do have to admit to still being worried.

The article in question is here:
http://www.geekosystem.com/studio-ghibli-closing/
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

While we're having our Pretentious Political Thread-Drift, is it worth pointing out that Miyazaki said in more recent interviews that he probably won't be pursuing Porco II?
It was a nice idea, but he "couldn't make it work", and said that he still wanted to do his next original story with a boy protagonist, but it would "probably end up being a girl anyway".
Links please. Wink
Quote:

(And yes, he's still whining about iPad users being "out of touch" with nature and humanity, because that's what old ex-Communists do... Razz
What gives you that impression that he's crossed the isle? Wink
Quote:
Although to be fair, US i-device users have nothing on obsessed Japanese users, so have to take some context into consideration.)
You mean all the Loveplus+ users? Wink
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
As Kimiko touched on, I would say that them closing has very little to do with money/greed. They have said in the past that they are having trouble finding a new competent director to take over from Miyazaki. One of the reasons he never retired despite saying he would for quite a while. If Borrowers had done badly I would say their reason for closing shop was that noone could replace the man. Whereas since it hasn't, they obviously have candidates.

I see. I was not aware that The Borrowers adaptation was not directed by Miyazaki (I have not seen it). Now the comment in the article makes sense.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this one. This would be Miyazaki's first official sequel and I think the film is just fine the way it is without having to add anything on to the original story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen when one day Ghibli will stop existing.This day will come sooner or later. For a long time I thought that what would happen is that slowly younger directors would be introduced, and that eventually they will take over and continue. However, it seems that the producer will rather be thinking of closing the whole thing down.

I understand they want to maintain some sort of quality, and that the young generation does not really guarantee that (see: Tales of the Earthsea), but... on the other hand Miyazaki's latest films were quite disappointing to me, so why not give them a chance? I know it is a subjective matter, but I think Goro

Id love to see Porco Rosso's sequel, it is my Ghibli's favourite feature, althoug it does seem that it wont happen. For a long time now I have been praying for something along Mononoke-hime line, but I guess that wont ever happen as well :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3