• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Rock Shooter (OAV + TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:22 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I heavily agree that this should have been a TV series instead to provide
a little more data on what exactly is going on. Confused

I would like to see the fall of the franchise with a crappy TV anime season.

No. they don't have enough potential for a TV series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It's not really a cliff-hanger. To see what happened with the two girls just spoiler[rewind to the beginning and rewatch the fighting scene portions of the show. That's them going at each other, fused somehow with the beings from the other world.]

No it's not. This is the girl BRS was fighting in the opening scene. This is the girl who is the alternate version of Mato's new friend Yuu.
shiftymaple

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
i ment that people who didn't get that part would be confused thinking they had a huge cliffhanger. I've seen a few people not get that and think they never finished it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
It's not really a cliff-hanger. To see what happened with the two girls just spoiler[rewind to the beginning and rewatch the fighting scene portions of the show. That's them going at each other, fused somehow with the beings from the other world.]

No it's not. This is the girl BRS was fighting in the opening scene. This is the girl who is the alternate version of Mato's new friend Yuu.

That's obvious. I meant chronologically speaking the action portions of the OVA take place after the schoolgirl Shoujo-ai stuff is all. Thus in the f***ed up non-linear way the OVA is presented in, there is a climax it just doesn't take place at the very end like most stuff. The "end" is instead the halfway point and the end of the school portion when she spoiler[fuses] with Black Rock Shooter. That's then where the action, alternate universe scenes come into play as the "second half". At least that's how I see it in order to maintain my own sanity.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Still Hoping someone distributes this in the U.S. And that we get the Upcoming RPG.
shiftymaple

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

maybe you didn't catch it? but what happened was spoiler[ the main stuff at beginning when the girls meet was happening at the same time the first battle took place. then when yomi dissapears is when she fused with "Dead Master" and the rest of the girls timeline takes place and then once mato fuses with BRS the rest of the battle then happen. ] atleast thats how i thought it happened
shiftymaple

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
and im hoping there is an anime made out of it because there is enough there to make a 13 episode anime although it would have to be a seperate universe to the OVA. If they just expanded the OVA into a series it would end up being a slice of life anime but if they created the anime in an alternate universe they could make it an action anime instead if they so chose
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer and shiftymaple

See, I took "cliff-hanger" to reference the 10 seconds or so after the credits where spoiler[Mato and Yomi were friends again but Yuu was sulking.]
shiftymaple

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
oh no by cliff hanger i ment the part before credits where spoiler[ Mato and BRS fussed]
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
The action scenes were fun, but I felt the OVA didn't explore enough on the "other selves" concept. For a while, I was hoping it would be a miniseries or regular T.V. series. Oh well.
Basilisk1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Wait so they stopped streaming yesterday........
wannabeotaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well... that sucks. I'll see if I can get the DVD if it comes out here[/spoiler]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Necropost.

Anyway, I got around to seeing this solely based on a whim of curiosity I had when seeing a piece of the artwork somewhere. And wow, what a major freakin' disappointment.

From the one still picture I saw, I got the idea that this was some sort of fantasy action world, but it ended up being 90% schoolgirl melodrama and 10% psychological dream world battles as a symbolic gesture of "fighting" to get a friend back from the isolation she suffered when her best friend started hanging out with another girl.

The concept is cool enough and I it think can have some great emotional impact, but 47 minutes of almost zero character development just ain't the way to go about it. Now don't get me wrong, fantasy action melodrama can work very, very well if executed the right way (here's looking at X (TV)), but BRS really failed in achieving any kind of character empathy or carefully building the relationship between Mato and Yomi.

They meet, they're instantly best friends, they get separated the following year, Mato continues to have fun with another girl, Yomi gets lonely and isolated again, runs off, and all of a sudden Mato "gets her back" a la fantasy action dream world emancipation.

Aside from the really good artwork and animation, I just can't find much else to like about it. On the other hand, with the announcement of a new TV series, I may still be interested if they can better draw things out and make an actual effort in development or exposure to the girls, the psychological aspects of this dream world stuff, and whatever other cool ideas they might have.

But until then, I'm glad I watched this on 2x speed. It didn't feel like as much a waste of time as it could have. I give it a rating of Not Really Good / C+.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to discuss the first episode of the TV series, and I wonder if reviving this thread and expanding it to encompass the TV series would serve a better purpose than creating a completely new thread. The mods will show us the way, but I'll whack the post here anyway.

I really, really wanted to like this first episode more than I did. Comparisons with the OVA are inevitable, especially as they're almost completely identical both stylistically and in tone. The thing that made the OVA stand out in many people's minds was the animation and artwork (see Tony K's post above). Maybe it was also inevitable that stretching the concept across a full series, the artwork seems to have taken a dip. The animation during the dream sequence action scenes (Again the highlight for me) was at times jerky and certainly not as fluid as before. I suspect it's a consequence of stretching a budget across 8 episodes rather than one long episode, but someone please point out if I'm wrong.

Characters are reintroduced in slightly different roles, and whilst in parts the schoolgirl sequences were a bit edgier (spoiler[Creepy girl in wheelchair springs immediately to mind]) it was still melodramatic elsewhere, almost annoyingly so (the guidance counselor, for example). They seem to have upped the grittiness of the dream world though, with some absolutely brutal batterings delivered over the course of the episode.

I dunno, it's too early to judge. I'll put it out there that I didn't think this episode showed as much promise as the OVA did/does, but there's a lot of the same talent involved this time round. If they actually nail the plot and character development, it could be worthwhile.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I like your idea. From what I've seen around the Internet, the franchise seems popular enough, but I haven't seen a lot of talk about it here in the forums. So in response, I think it would be better to lump both the OVA and TV series together into a single thread. I've edited the title and added links for the series and your post as the starting point of said series' discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6