• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ga-Rei Zero TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Not even two years old.

Nice fail post Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
2010 is turning out to be a banner anime licensing and release year for me - in large part thanks to Funi. I am absolutely thrilled by this announcement. If they pick up Zombie-Loan, I just might have to marry the company.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint, every time they put something new up, they take something old down. I was in the middle of Welcome to the NHK but now only the first four episodes are available *sigh*

It'd be nice if Funi could make an announcement when they are about to remove things in addition to adding things.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
2010 is turning out to be a banner anime licensing and release year for me - in large part thanks to Funi. I am absolutely thrilled by this announcement. If they pick up Zombie-Loan, I just might have to marry the company.

If you guys are interested in polygamy, I'm down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, color me surprised. I loved Ga-Rei Zero, but given the first episode wasn't holding my breath that it would ever see the light of licensing.

I guess Funimation gives American fandom more credit than I do, and trusts the uninitiated will actually watch Episode 2 and beyond.

...And so my list of New Releases to Buy increases once again...
viral_hun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei Zero is actually a pretty decent watch, though the first episode is indeed bad.
lilly_938

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH!

I've been waiting for someone to license this. It seems like something Sentai would've picked up, but Funi makes it better with dub (this is getting dubbed, right?).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that this was not licensed sooner (I suppose Kadokawa Pictures USA shuttering had a role to play in the delay). Regardless, I'm really glad to see that it's being streamed (as per usual FUNi license), as it was something I've wanted to see even before it debuted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Not that I didn't like the rest of the series, but am I the only one who found idea of the more--for lack of a better word--realistic special forces unit laid out in the first episode to be more interesting than what followed? I was pretty seriously bummed out when spoiler[Yomi came along and slaughtered the entire team.] Though Yomi X Kagura's all good.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
lilly_938 wrote:
(this is getting dubbed, right?).
Does Elmer Fudd have issues with pronouncing the letter "R"?

No reason to worry, so far Funimation's still down with the English dubbing. It's practically part of their corporate mission statements. The only time you'd need to start asking this question is if and/or when Navarre sells them or in the event that the economy drags them down even further.

I'd heard about this series but never thought it would get licensed. Color me pleased.
Toboggan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The anime with the best 1st episode troll after Haruhi.

Love this series, glad to see it finally licensed. Looking forward to 2011 then, thanks Funi.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
Thumbs up. Although I would've expected it sooner..

Quote:
Update: Funimation has confirmed that it licensed the home entertainment, digital, merchandise, and mobile rights for this 12-episode anime series from Kadokawa

It's interesting to see how Funimation is realizing more and more the significance of merchandising, contrary to what they have said a couple years ago
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I had been wanting to check this series out. A friend of mine had been trying to toss some my way. From what I saw it looks good. Might have to get this and pick up 'Ghost Hunt' since the designs are somewhat similar.

Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! DENNO COIL!!! Please somebody picks this up, so I can die a happy camper.
kill-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Great pick, Funi. Since in my country the home video market is SO dead, I'm looking forward to this.

1st episode aside, according to the omake in the 9th volume of the manga, the "Yomi arc" was supposed to be covered in the manga in its entirely, but since it was too long it has been reduced to a really short flashback sequence, and shortly after Kadokawa gave Segawa the chance to continue the series, due to its success.
It's possibile that in "Ga-Rei Zero Plus" (your usual 4FansOnly volume of the series) there is something more of it.

In my opinion, the anime is good, but the manga is good too, but in a different way: ok, in the first few volumes the art so so, and there are 2 or 3 facts that are kind of "meh", but it's funny, the main characters are not your usual badass heroes (actually they're just small fries) and when they fight you never know what's going to happen to them and around them.
About Kagura... let's face it : at the first glance , in the manga she looks like a total idiot. But , trust me, that's only the surface.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! Denno Coil! DENNO COIL!!! Please somebody picks this up, so I can die a happy camper.

Someone just asked about that at AmeCon, and the response from Andrew@Beez was that "he is interested in it and he really likes it, but he is concerned that it would not sell". Obviously, there are many things that wouldn't sell well over here that would scrape by in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5