• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
@Megabyte117

Quote:
What's wrong with the female characters being as important and fleshed out as the male characters?

There's nothing wrong with that. I love the female characters and all but what I am saying here is that they shouldn't rush the development way too quickly and should occur naturally as time goes on.

Maybe I just said it wrong, I thought that maybe the Avatar girls are a bit too strong earlier on but then again, I realized that they too have their own flaws and is probably poor judgment on my part.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@Megabyte117
That Toph stuff is all assumed though, and never really shown. We meet her as she is: a master earthbender. And Azula pretty much was perfect until the series final episode where she randomly broke down, which came off more as a plot device since it happened so suddenly. What we do know of Toph is not much. They never explore the thing with her parents much. There's a season 3 episode about it, but it's kind of filler and doesn't amount to much other than 'Toph is homesick, despite showing no concern for her family outside of this episode'

Mai and Ty Lee, well, we got one line about their personalities in a filler Beach episode. Then they get arrested and we never hear from them again for the rest of the series. I don't have much opinion on them because we don't see them do a whole lot or know really much about them. I guess they're strong (minus Mai not being able to hit anyone with knives, I guess), but I care more about them as characters than their power levels, and their characters were definately lacking for me.

Yue's the same way, we know her for like two episodes (which, by the way, she falls in love with Sokka because, I don't know, he's a main character I guess), so it comes off again as a plot device when she needs to revive the moon spirit. Same with Ursa, the whole business with her was so unclear and poorly written; I actually thought she offered to kill herself in Zuko's place until they started talking like she was alive and Zuko had to find her, and my interpretation was too violent. The whole thing with her was very poorly done, especially the lack of resolution about it.

Some of those examples in general seem really weak arguments. Suki fighting Azula? How was that an example of her character? That wasn't even shown since they cut away from the fight, and we don't even see Suki again until like twenty episodes later. Suki in general felt very underused and underdeveloped (by the way, the next time we see her she's a master martial artists and takes down legions of soldiers by herself: I really think this show substituted personality for physical strength too much)

Katara fighting Zuko in the North Pole also had no real weight for me, which is probably a good example since she's fighting to protect Aang similar to the example I gave. That scene was nowhere near as powerful or endearing as Sakura's to me. Maybe it was the writing, or the censorship (because obviously no one was going to get hurt there; and we don't see just how much pain Katara is willing to go through for Aang), and at best we saw Katara panting because she was tired, not hurt, so it didn't seem as powerful. I think because we see Sakura actually want to better herself to pick up the slack of her team from the first time they actually fight (against the Mist Ninja) so it's an extension of her character, so her last stand had more impact than Katara who stood up because, well, she needed to fight the villain. She had no speech about how she wanted to be useful and how Aang was always saving her. It was just 'you're bad, I'm good, let's fight'.

The fact you're using June makes me think you really value physical/fighting strength over character (since she was a one-shot character, with a cameo in the final episode), and it's fine if you do, but I don't. I think it falls too much into the Hollywood trap of [physically] strong female character. Maybe it was the writing, or the censorship, but the girls in Avatar just didn't do much for me. They never got to delve into any truly deep or motivational themes for me.

@Lycosyncer
I personally don't care about age of a character, only their personality. Can I turn that around and ask why should Tony be an adult? Because it was in the comics? By that logic, Obidiah and The Mandarin should be terribly one dimension characters, rather than fleshed out, well developed characters. I like the show, him as a teen allows for more growth and, honestly, the whole plot revolves around him being a minor trying to overthrow a company . If he was an adult, he could just sue them or something Wink The only peope I see complain about the show are comic book fans who don't like change: the ratings are fantastic, it has a lot of cross-demographic appeal (lots of girls and anime fans like it, two groups who normally don't care for superhero cartoons) and it does pretty well in other countries (like Japan, where WATX and SSM failed in, I should point out) I'd say it's because of these changes the show is so successful. They focused on making a good, anime influenced show, not a superhero show. That's what got me into it; I was more interested in that than another Batman/Spider-Man/X-Men cartoon,which we seem to get every two years or so.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Megabyte117 wrote:
Did you even watch this series? How about Zuko's character arc over the three seasons? The characters in Avatar are more than the typical caricatures in the shonen shows you mentioned. Not to mention this series actually ended within three seasons. A feat even Naruto has not managed. I can only listen to that kid say his "dattebayo" or "Believe it" so many times. I also can't think of any strong female leads in either Naruto or DBZ.

DBZ is so over the top it's hilarious. Fights going on for several episodes, and they still needed to "power up". At least the animation is very consistent in Avatar as compared to Naruto. Those shows don't nearly have the same depth as Avatar.

So, I have to ask again, did you even watch the entire series?

On another note, the creators never said they were envious of shows like Naruto. They apparently forced the staff to buy and watch every episode of FLCL. Other anime that were influential on Avatar were Miyazaki's films and Cowboy Bebop. Let's not give Naruto that much credit.
It's kind of interesting you mention character caricatures, because Zuko is just a watered down Vegeta at the end of the day. They even directly "borrow" one of Vegeta's iconic scenes of him yelling up at a storm about how it was his destiny to become a Super Saiyan. Zuko's yelling about his destiny and learning to bend lightning. It's pretty much scene-for-scene. Not to mention Aang is pretty much just Son Goku.

Dragonball is the granddaddy of all shounen, and without it we wouldn't be here today. It may not be as complex compared to recent day shounen, but it set the groundwork and made a lot of the tropes Avatar uses. The fact Avatar borrows a lot from it should tell us something.

As for specific things: the invasion of major cities is a big one. spoiler[Konoha was devastated by the Sand/Sound invasion, Central City was devastated by the Briggs/Mustang/Ed gang invasion, but Ba Sing Sei and the Fire Nation Capital were just kind of, quietly taken over. No deaths, no real complex conflict, just sort of happen. One thing I loved was seeing all the inner workings and plotting that came with war and invading a city. The Sound allying with the Sand ninjas, using the Chunin exams to take over, with spies like Kabuto, and a huge conspiracy taking foot. In FMA, I loved Olivier going from Briggs to infiltrating the Fuhrer's cabinet and her grand plan of kicking her family out of her home as a ploy to build tanks inside the city. Plus Mustang using the radio and propaganda to make himself look like the good guy was awesome. In Avatar, the most strategy they ever employed was 'invade on a day the sun was blocked and charge in the main gates'. Nothing really clever or interesting.

And I'm not one to relish in death and blood, but seeing soldiers die in those two invasions does add impact. Every Briggs soldier that died had weight and meaning, like when they defended those stairs at the cost of their own lives. The people who died during the Konoha invasion also helped add weight; not to mention the Hokage himself. Avatar's world never felt like they were in a war. Having huge invasions where not a single person dies really kills the mood and takes you out of the experience; especially if they go out of their way to show you someone didn't die (like jumping off a ship before it explodes)

It just seems they went into depth a lot more in those shounen anime. We don't even get to see how the Fire Nation copes with a new leader, despite most of its citizens were supporting the war (as seen in The Deserter, Ember Island Players, and other episodes) Sure, Iroh and a few others didn't, but they're in the minority. We don't see how Ozai's cabinet feels about Zuko, and honestly I expect Zuko to be assassinated within a few days of taking over, but instead they show us people drinking tea and everything is perfectly fine and the Fire Nation had a huge change of heart, despite all the propaganda showing they want the other nations to burn.

Plus the fights and villains were more interesting. Azula and Ozai were kind of boring and only used fire/lightning, Naruto and other shounen tend to have a lot more varied villains with different powers and abilities to keep things fresh. ]

I actually remember an interview/commentary mentioning they wanted to have fights as cool as Naruto's but Standards and Practices wouldn't let them be that violent.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
@ Jessica Hart

I don't know if turning beloved adult characters and setting them into high school would ever be a good idea. Does Dragonball: Evolution ring a bell?

I wonder how would the show handle the famous Demon in the Bottle story arc since it is Iron Man's most well known story arc that a lot of fans know of whenever Iron Man comes up.

I admit that I was turned off by the first episode but would you recommend to give it another chance? Since you said it is very good and all.

Spectacular Spider-Man did introduce the villains earlier on as their civilian identities before their fates turned them into the way they are and we do get to know who they all are in advance before they turned. Each episode of that series is getting better and I am still in shock that it is unfairly canceled because of the Marvel/Disney deal. Overall, I agree with the fans that SSM is THE definitive Spider-Man cartoon and it's such a shame it got unfairly canceled so soon.

So would you really consider Iron Man: Armored Adventures to be the definitive Iron Man cartoon?

Back to the last topic, how would you compare the Avatar girls to someone like the Sailor Senshi or the 12 HiMEs since you said that they are too perfect for your liking? I would like to hear your opinion on that one. I believe the Senshi and the HiMEs are pretty much all flawed in very different ways.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
I've never seen Mai Hime, I should probably add it to my watch list since you make it sound interesting. I haven't watched Sailor Moon since I was a kid; so forgive me if I get some things wrong. I recall Usagi/Serena being lazy, dopey, moody, clumsy, and petty. It was kind of nice to see a girl like her. You see a lot of cartoons with those kind of male leads, but rarely female; I liked her. They were all interesting (at least the first five, once you include the others my memory gets even more hazy). I do remember enjoying the interaction between the girls a lot and how their personalities meshed with one another (especially when they were slowly introducing the Senshi, and you only had Usagi and Ami, then Usagi, Ami, and Rei, and so forth.

But for a comparison? I'm not sure. I would say the Senshi were more fleshed out, since we get a lot of episodes dedicated to each of them. I suppose I enjoy them more; Sailor Moon to me was always more about the characters, rather than the action. Most of the fights came down to one or two attacks and the monster being destroyed, but the episodes delved into the girls interaction with one another and their lives, their dreams, and their goals. We never really learn too much about the girls in Avatar ; so the senshi come off more human, I guess.

-

I'm not sure what you mean by definitive Iron Man cartoon. It's my favorite incarnation of the character, but I'm not a fan of superhero shows or comics at all so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

The main thing I like about it are it kind of goes against what you expect from superhero shows: one: there's an actual story with a focused ending. Tony's got a tangible goal and a lot of the episodes revolve around it; it's not one of those 'Iron Man fights crime every week' shows (in fact, Tony only fights crime once, and it's because it just happens to be related to the main story. He never really goes looking for muggers or robbers like Batman or Spider-Man, he has more important things to do than worry about crime) Two: none of the villains or heroes wear spandex, it's all powered armor, so it feels kind of like mecha. I'm not really a fan of bright colored spandex too much. Three: The villains tend to get development, or at least some kind of resolution. I kind of hate how they recycle villains a lot in superhero shows and bring them back all the time; and usually none of them get killed off or have an kind of grand goal or resolution (speaking of SSM, it seems like Doctor Octopus came back every few episodes with a new plan, and Spider-Man was never really any closer to killing him or whatever. Without spoiling much, I'll say very few of the villains make it to the end of season one (and not all of the heroes do either), and according to the creator, those that do make it only do so because they have a bigger role to fulfill in the second half of the show.

The first episode is probably the weakest in the show, since it's all set-up and doesn't really show how the show is any different than other stuff out there. The third episode is what got me hooked, since I saw a lot of seeds being planted of what they were building up to (like the relationship between Tony and Gene) It's not until you see the way the characters interact with one another that you realize what it's really about (I love how Tony pretty much starts breaking down and going insane by episode 12) I guess I can see why comic fans wouldn't like it, it kind of tosses all that comic stuff aside and does it's own thing. But since I disliked the comics, I didn't have a problem with that. Confused It's probably the most unique "superhero" show I've ever seen, in that it's really only a superhero show in name only.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
@ Jessica Hart

Don't tell me that you forgot all about the famous lesbian couple of the series, Haruka Tenoh/Sailor Uranus and Michiru Kaioh/Sailor Neptune. What makes them so distinct from the rest of the Senshi is the fact that they will do whatever it takes to accomplish their main mission, even if the rest of the Senshi condemns them for it.

Anyways, I'll consider giving Iron Man: Armored Adventures a second chance to see if it will get better.

Besides the girls, what do you think of the other flaws of the show? I already realized that compared to other shonen shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto, the show feels very tame compared to them and whether or not it is a compliment is left debatable. I think Amibite and TitanXL said the reasons why Avatar just isn't as good as those shows have said it better than I can and I can agree with those reasons.

Would you say that the series should have had more casualties during those battles? I felt that Season 3 should have been a lot more darker than it should have. Instead they just wasted time on lighthearted filler in some of those instances.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember them, but like I said I can't recall to much. I'm more familiar with the Beryl/Ail and An seasons. I did think they were pretty cool, though; and more gay/lesbian couples who aren't stereotypically gay are always a plus. I did love Michiru, I thought she was very beautiful and elegant, but also strong and focused.

I don't really have many complaints about Avatar, it just never grabbed my interest (even if I did end up watching it all, I tend to finish everything I watch unless it's something I flat out hate, which is very few things) Some good points were brought up, though, the villains didn't seem all that interesting to me; Ozai was boring and didn't do anything until the final episode It's kind of why I don't like Dragonball Z terribly much, they all pretty much use martial arts and energy blasts with not really any variety to it. Having the main villains all use fire did kind of get old and reminded me of why I prefer modern shounen to Dragonball Z. Though I will say at least they could blast people with their energy blasts in DBZ; fire is very kid unfriendly, so it's not like Fire Nation could burn people to a crisp all the time like Freiza or Vegeta did (on screen, any way).

I guess censorship in general was a big complaint. I'm not a blood-aholic, but I think some things just don't work when you try to make it kid-friendly; like giving Mai shuriken or Sokka a sword; or have a war in general I guess. I agree with most of what's been brought up already, and I agree the third season was the worst though. A lot of it seems kind of pointless and silly, and even in the context of the series it didn't make much sense (the beach and school episodes, for example). I think my last favorite thing was the spiritbending, though. It felt like a big cop-out and waste of what could have been good drama (Aang choosing to sacrifice his morals for the greater good, or sacrificing the greater good for his morals)
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with that. I love the female characters and all but what I am saying here is that they shouldn't rush the development way too quickly and should occur naturally as time goes on.

Quote:
Would you say that the series should have had more casualties during those battles? I felt that Season 3 should have been a lot more darker than it should have. Instead they just wasted time on lighthearted filler in some of those instances.

An interesting trend that I've noticed with Avatar, is people claiming episodes that don't move the plot along, yet are huge in character development, are put down as useless filler. Oh well.

Quote:
And Azula pretty much was perfect until the series final episode where she randomly broke down, which came off more as a plot device since it happened so suddenly.

What? She was shown to be breaking down following the betrayal of her friends. Earlier in that episode she said that she was a "people" person and was able to read people easily. Therefore when her friends betrayed her, it was shocking. As demonstrated when she questions Mai at the end -

Azula: "The thing I don't understand is why‌. Why would you do it? You know the consequences."

Mai: "I guess you just don't know people as well as you think you do. You miscalculated. I love Zuko more than I fear you."

Azula: "No, you miscalculated! You should have feared me more!"

Ursa even questions if there is something wrong with Azula. Azula is shown exhibiting psychotic tendencies in the flashbacks from Zuko Alone. So while Azula may have had her father's "love" (if it could be called that), her mother always preferred Zuko. So then in the Beach episode, Azula shares that she believes that Ursa thought her to be a monster. Another insecurity she held over all those years.

Put frankly, Azula is a psychotic sociopath. She had never truly experienced loss. So when Azula loses to her brother (someone she truly despises) and Katara, she completely loses it. They even pity her at the end.

Also, Azula never won against Aang and the gang until the season finale of season 2, where she utterly destroyed him as he spent too much time in the Avatar state. She's not perfect.

Quote:
What we do know of Toph is not much. They never explore the thing with her parents much. There's a season 3 episode about it, but it's kind of filler and doesn't amount to much other than 'Toph is homesick, despite showing no concern for her family outside of this episode'

In Season 2, she received the letter from her "parents" and was genuinely interested in seeing them again. Like I said earlier, she's a fiercely independent character, so she doesn't like to rely on her parents, who she is not very close with as they sheltered her her entire life. Therefore, being mostly confident in herself, she doesn't have huge character development.

Quote:
Mai and Ty Lee, well, we got one line about their personalities in a filler Beach episode. Then they get arrested and we never hear from them again for the rest of the series. I don't have much opinion on them because we don't see them do a whole lot or know really much about them... but I care more about them as characters than their power levels, and their characters were definately lacking for me.

They're not main characters, so they're not given the same amount of attention or detail. However it said alot about Mai's character that she went against Azula, risking her life, to save Zuko. Same with Ty Lee when she protects Mai.

Quote:
I guess they're strong (minus Mai not being able to hit anyone with knives, I guess),

Boiling Rock?

Quote:
Yue's the same way, we know her for like two episodes (which, by the way, she falls in love with Sokka because, I don't know, he's a main character I guess), so it comes off again as a plot device when she needs to revive the moon spirit.

I was mostly being sarcastic. She serves as character development for Sokka.

Quote:
Same with Ursa, the whole business with her was so unclear and poorly written; I actually thought she offered to kill herself in Zuko's place until they started talking like she was alive and Zuko had to find her, and my interpretation was too violent.

The initial flashback in Zuko Alone was from his perspective. It wasn't supposed to be clear then, because even he wasn't sure what happened.

Quote:
The whole thing with her was very poorly done, especially the lack of resolution about it.

Ursa serves as the complete antithesis of Ozai. And without her influence, Zuko may not have turned out the way he did. As for the resolution, the creators said they included Zuko asking for her at the end because they didn't want the end to be entirely happy and closed. (something along those lines Razz)

Quote:
Some of those examples in general seem really weak arguments. Suki fighting Azula? How was that an example of her character? That wasn't even shown since they cut away from the fight, and we don't even see Suki again until like twenty episodes later.

She distracted them so that Appa could get away and return to Aang.

Quote:
Suki in general felt very underused and underdeveloped (by the way, the next time we see her she's a master martial artists and takes down legions of soldiers by herself: I really think this show substituted personality for physical strength too much)

She was always very capable from the beginning. She did lose to Azula and nearly to Ty Lee.

Quote:
Katara fighting Zuko in the North Pole also had no real weight for me, which is probably a good example since she's fighting to protect Aang similar to the example I gave. That scene was nowhere near as powerful or endearing as Sakura's to me. Maybe it was the writing, or the censorship (because obviously no one was going to get hurt there; and we don't see just how much pain Katara is willing to go through for Aang), and at best we saw Katara panting because she was tired, not hurt, so it didn't seem as powerful.

And you could say that in Naruto, Sakura was never in any danger of dying.

Quote:
I think because we see Sakura actually want to better herself to pick up the slack of her team from the first time they actually fight (against the Mist Ninja) so it's an extension of her character, so her last stand had more impact than Katara who stood up because, well, she needed to fight the villain.

Katara is huge for the gang, in supporting them and always encouraging Aang, especially when he's suffering (ala the Avatar State)

I'll leave this here -

"In Season One, of course, she has the season-long storyline about her search to become a great waterbender. Let us first give credit to Mike and Bryan for taking their single major female character (that is, at that moment, and not for much longer) and making her journey one about strength, self-improvement, and self-actualization. It would have been way too easy, in these early stages, to establish her simply as a romantic interest and a generic supporting character. In a way, Katara's journey in Season One is more profound than even Aang's. Aang merely grows in the opportunity to express himself as the Avatar; Katara struggles with her frustration at her own inabilities and inexperience, and then slams headfirst into the very intransigence of her own society and must overcome its idiotic traditions. Katara is not merely a naif in the face of her obstacles. She opposes authority brashly and boldly at both the South and North Poles to do what she feels is right, and even engages in deliberate misdeeds as she steals the waterbending scroll. The fact that she is ultimately vindicated in all these activities, whether by accident or by retroactive justification, is actually quite refreshing, given that so many male characters in fiction are guilty of even bigger offenses with little to no retribution while most females are relegated to stark moralizing."

Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?p=15638269#post15638269

Great post.

Quote:
She had no speech about how she wanted to be useful and how Aang was always saving her. It was just 'you're bad, I'm good, let's fight'.

And as if that isn't Naruto through and through.

Also, just because there's isn't an exact scene with similar motives, doesn't make her a weaker character. Katara is actually talented, and so she has been in situations where she is able to save other characters (shocker! a female character doing such a thing! /sarcasm). Most noticeably when she escapes with Aang in the Crossroads of Destiny and uses the water from the Spirit Oasis to heal him in season 2.

Quote:
The fact you're using June makes me think you really value physical/fighting strength over character (since she was a one-shot character, with a cameo in the final episode), and it's fine if you do, but I don't.

Don't assume.

I genuinely like June, because I find her lines to be amusing.

Also, being that this show takes place during a time of war, I'd believe it to be normal to find all the characters preparing themselves to fight and contribute to the warfront. Not just the men.

Quote:
I think it falls too much into the Hollywood trap of [physically] strong female character. Maybe it was the writing, or the censorship, but the girls in Avatar just didn't do much for me. They never got to delve into any truly deep or motivational themes for me.

Quote:
And in Japanese media we have weak female characters that pander after the "handsome" male protagonist and generally always fail. Hurray for generalizations!

Quote:
It's kind of interesting you mention character caricatures, because Zuko is just a watered down Vegeta at the end of the day. They even directly "borrow" one of Vegeta's iconic scenes of him yelling up at a storm about how it was his destiny to become a Super Saiyan. Zuko's yelling about his destiny and learning to bend lightning. It's pretty much scene-for-scene.

I'll just leave this here -

"If we look at Season One's structure, the first half of the season is almost fully devoted to Zuko being the main villain. Zhao rises in prominence in the second half, as he finally encounters Aang in person, but Zuko is still the implacable threat that he is throughout the whole season, even into the Siege of the North. And consider his character traits here. He does not engage in his country's war, but neither does he speak or act against it to any degree. He holds his pride and royal bearing to a massive degree in Season One, exhibiting supreme arrogance and furor as he goes. In fact, without the specific context of why he seeks Aang, his standalone behavior is almost as psychotic as his sister or father, with his bloodlust for Aang and his disdain for the well-being of others. A curious parallel that's easy to miss exists between The Siege of the North, Part 1 and Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang. In both episodes, Katara fights one of Ozai's children; Zuko and Azula, respectively. And both refer to her in exactly the same way: "You filthy peasant". It's a little thing, but it indicates just how poor Zuko's mindset was during this time, that he could have been so demonstratably close to his batshit insane sister.

Truly, Season Two is where Zuko really begins to develop. Season One establishes his obsessions and gives us his context, but only in a straightforward manner that doesn't really alleviate what he's done. Now, in Season Two, he has almost no opportunities to engage in his obsession with Aang. He has been stripped of all his honor, his ship, his crew, and even his original mission. He and Iroh are fleeing Azula, but they are also essentially fleeing their own lives. Ultimately, what Zuko does in Season Two is go through an entirely separate storyline from Aang and Team Avatar, barely interacting and only at the end intersecting. It is Season Two that gives Zuko's obsession its real fullness of futility, the real notion that even catching Aang would never reverse what has been done to him in the eyes of his father and his nation. And to that effect, the Blue Spirit continually reappears in Season Two, a mask to hide the undeniable selfishness of Zuko's actions. In Season One, the "Blue Spirit" was merely a guise assumed by Zuko for a single purpose (releasing Aang from Zhao's clutches) and thusly something that Zhao could use against his teenage rival. But Season Two's appearances of Zuko in Spirit drag reveal only the remnants of his royal solipsism, his selfishness and spoiled expectations that he can do anything he wants, no matter the consequences. It is no coincidence that Zuko's almost-redemption at the end of Season Two begins first with him abandoning the Blue Spirit identity.

Still, even though Season Two features Zuko's flaws and foibles laid bare without the muscular might of a ship and a purpose to back them up, Season Two is also the show's opportunity to build Zuko into a man more aware of the realities of life and love outside of his Fire Nation bubble. Zuko and Iroh take on the lives of refugees, since they are quite literally refugees themselves. The struggles to feed themselves and find comfort, the pain that the Fire Nation has brought to the land writ large, and the real requirements of psychological and spiritual wholeness are all exhibited to Zuko in this season in a way that he never was aware of before. It puts him in true flux. Whether it's his endeavors to find peace amidst Ba Sing Se or his whole journey - past and present - of Zuko Alone, Zuko melts away the role he had in the series as "primary antagonist" into "the show's biggest victim", a young man who simply needs love and validation to fuel him. Which, naturally, leads us to The Crossroads of Destiny and his infamous return to the dark side. It's the most examined and analyzed character decision of the whole series. Others have quite aptly surmised that it was important for Zuko to not go good right there because, at that point, he had nothing to lose; it means much more for him to join Aang's side when he's literally giving up everything that he had previously wanted. This is true, but more than that, it is a sign of his wanton desperation for the aforementioned love and validation. At this point, he's still holding out hope that this can come from his whole family, and his decision in The Crossroads of Destiny is a grand demonstration of the thing we're all guilty of doing - undervaluing the love that we do receive in the pursuit of an imaginary, possibly unattainable love. Don't we all take somebody's love for granted in our lives: parents, siblings, friends, lovers? Zuko didn't reject his uncle; he merely forgot him in the pursuit of more. In a way, that's worse.

And thusly, Season Three. All of my harping upon Zuko's bad traits and villainous habits, or his barely-averted chances at redemption, are crucial because we need to know just how much Zuko has gone through to understand why he's so strong in making the decisions he does in this last season. He is capable of processing his world amidst the Fire Nation with much greater wisdom and much more comprehensive eyes. He comes full circle with his father and his country when he attends his second war meeting, and confirms for himself that the caring for others that got him banished in the first place was no fluke. Zuko had been tainted badly by his father, and his behavior in Season One is revealed subtextually as a put-on, an attitude that Zuko felt he needed to embody so that he could be the son his father wanted. But Zuko could never be that person, because then he wouldn't be Zuko. Zuko kicks himself a lot in Season Three, and it's okay because he kind of deserves it, but then we're willing to put a metaphorical hand on his shoulder and tell him that it's enough. As we do that, so does Team Avatar (save Katara, who has her own issues), and Zuko reaches an equilibrium that is almost unrecognizable, and yet is arguably everybody's favorite version of Zuko. The one that jokes with Aang, sympathizes with Sokka, tries to make peace with Katara, seeks out unneeded forgiveness from Iroh, and rationally and with certaintude challenges Azula for his proper right to rule the Fire Nation. The one that takes everything that he's gone through and learns from the mistakes rather than repeats them. That's the Zuko that the fans all seem to love the most. Because it's the man he was always meant to be."
Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?p=15755234#post15755234

Quote:
Not to mention Aang is pretty much just Son Goku.

He may share similar character traits, but he's much more developed than Goku.

Quote:
Dragonball is the granddaddy of all shounen, and without it we wouldn't be here today. It may not be as complex compared to recent day shounen, but it set the groundwork and made a lot of the tropes Avatar uses. The fact Avatar borrows a lot from it should tell us something.

You could say the same for Evangelion and the following RahXephon. Just because RahXephon is largely inspired by Evangelion, doesn't make it any worse. DBZ, while may have began the shonen fighting genre, is certainly not an intelligent show by any means. Nor is it better than Avatar in terms of characterization, pacing, and depth.

Quote:
Konoha was devastated by the Sand/Sound invasion, Central City was devastated by the Briggs/Mustang/Ed gang invasion, but Ba Sing Sei and the Fire Nation Capital were just kind of, quietly taken over. No deaths, no real complex conflict, just sort of happen. One thing I loved was seeing all the inner workings and plotting that came with war and invading a city. The Sound allying with the Sand ninjas, using the Chunin exams to take over, with spies like Kabuto, and a huge conspiracy taking foot. In FMA, I loved Olivier going from Briggs to infiltrating the Fuhrer's cabinet and her grand plan of kicking her family out of her home as a ploy to build tanks inside the city. Plus Mustang using the radio and propaganda to make himself look like the good guy was awesome. In Avatar, the most strategy they ever employed was 'invade on a day the sun was blocked and charge in the main gates'. Nothing really clever or interesting.

It's shown how drastically the Southern Water Tribe changed over the war. It's a shadow of its former self and is nothing compared to it's sister Northern Tribe.

With Ba Sing Se it was more of a political takeover, as was said with the line - "whoever controls the Dai Li controls Ba Sing Se". Azula had earned their loyalty and had Long Feng under her control. Also, they had captured the generals who would have resisted the takeover earlier in Crossroads of Destiny. Without the support of a king or armed forces, what were the general population going to do? The Fire Nation is also shown to be more technologically advanced than any other nation.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Fire Nation Capital... it was never taken over. They failed during the Eclipse because Azula had discovered their plan when she infiltrated Ba Sing Se as a Kyoshi warrior. No matter how crafty they were, they were going to fail as a result. Not to mention the resources the Fire Nation has within their own capital.

Quote:
And I'm not one to relish in death and blood, but seeing soldiers die in those two invasions does add impact. Every Briggs soldier that died had weight and meaning, like when they defended those stairs at the cost of their own lives. The people who died during the Konoha invasion also helped add weight; not to mention the Hokage himself. Avatar's world never felt like they were in a war. Having huge invasions where not a single person dies really kills the mood and takes you out of the experience; especially if they go out of their way to show you someone didn't die (like jumping off a ship before it explodes)

You really cared when those soldiers died? All I knew was that they were from Briggs. I didn't know them as a characters. I didn't care. However, seeing the entire nation of Air Nomads wiped outdid impact me, because we see the direct influence of that on Aang and how he suffers because of it. Same thing when in that same episode, we see Gyatso's dead body. Throughout the series there are flashbacks with Gyatso and how he helped and cared for Aang. So even his death has more impact than nameless cannon fodder.

Quote:
It just seems they went into depth a lot more in those shounen anime. We don't even get to see how the Fire Nation copes with a new leader, despite most of its citizens were supporting the war (as seen in The Deserter, Ember Island Players, and other episodes) Sure, Iroh and a few others didn't, but they're in the minority. We don't see how Ozai's cabinet feels about Zuko, and honestly I expect Zuko to be assassinated within a few days of taking over, but instead they show us people drinking tea and everything is perfectly fine and the Fire Nation had a huge change of heart, despite all the propaganda showing they want the other nations to burn.

Well, the series ended before we could see what happened. So I'm assuming there'll be some explanation in Legend of Korra. But it could just be that, at this point, the citizens are tired of war. I don't know. Again, we'll probably just have to wait for Korra. I did wonder the same thing though Very Happy

Quote:
Plus the fights and villains were more interesting. Azula and Ozai were kind of boring and only used fire/lightning, Naruto and other shounen tend to have a lot more varied villains with different powers and abilities to keep things fresh.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. The Last Agni Kai with Azula and Zuko wasn't masterfully done? Ozai against Aang, in one of the only fights he was engaged in, during the Comet wasn't interesting? Again, I don't know how to respond to this.

Quote:
I already realized that compared to other shonen shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto, the show feels very tame compared to them and whether or not it is a compliment is left debatable.

Honestly, I love the story of Fullmetal Alchemist. I think, as a whole, the story (manga) is better than Avatar. But Brotherhood, overall, I don't think is executed as well as Avatar. The last 20 episodes of Brotherhood are amazing, but the previous 40 or so are poorly paced and the humor can be very jarring for the dark tone they're trying to convey.

Quote:
We never really learn too much about the girls in Avatar

What more do you want to know? Seriously. The histories of those characters are fully explained and explored.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Megabyte117 wrote:
What? She was shown to be breaking down following the betrayal of her friends.
That's what I mean, it came kind of late in the game that it felt sudden. That was pretty much right before the finale. I guess I prefer more gradual character development, like if she started breaking down through the second season and it climaxed with that event at the Boiling Rock. The show never really indicated she actually cared about Mai and Ty Lee as more than tools to help her get the Avatar up until that point, so it just seemed odd that she suddenly cared. Yeah, there's that line in the beach episode, but the way the show makes a joke out of it with that 'Well, you know, she was right, but still" kinda just plays it off for laughs.

It's not really the same thing, but Mustang's downward spiral after spoiler[Hughes dies is the closest thing I can think of right now. After that Mustang starts getting a lot darker and more rage-intensified, asking everyone he's about to kill if they're the ones who killed Hughes, even that bit where they make us think he killed Maria Ross over it, and let's it consume his work and his focus. His dark obsession grows a lot until his final confrontation with Envy, where Riza has to pull him back from letting his hatred consume him. If he suddenly only cared right before he fought Envy then it wouldn't have had as much impact.]

I read that the writers had to rewrite the finale a bunch of time and had to make a lot of last minute changes, and given the way it was done I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the changes they added at the last minute.

I know Mai and Ty Lee aren't mains, but when we have episodes about them going to school, or to a play, or dressing up as a ghost to scare away soldiers, they could at least use those instead to develop and showcase the other characters more. Smile

I guess sarcasm is hard to detect in text. Smile

Quote:
And you could say that in Naruto, Sakura was never in any danger of dying.
I wouldn't say that. The beating she took was incredible, and they do kill off characters a lot. I never really felt danger for any of the characters in Avatar. I didn't expect Sakura to die in that battle, but the beating was very intense.

That post is.. interesting I guess, though I think it reaches for a lot. I've seen posts like that deconstruct shows like Spongebob Squarepants. The thing with the Waterbending Scroll is also kind off, since they did make it point to say stealing from thieves/pirates is okay and played it off like a huge joke. I will say I did enjoy season 1 Katara more than season 2 and 3 Katara. In 1 she was struggling and tried to help out, but after being trained by Pakku she kind of stopped that and became a master bender able to beat prodiges like Azula 1 on 1 and do all kinds of crazy things. Her development to me didn't seem like a natural transition, it felt like a boost because the creators wanted strong girls on the show. They mentioned they made changes for the second season to appeal to a girl demographic (like changing Toph and Azula, who were originally boys, to girls) and Katara's sudden mastery felt like one of those things.

Come to think of it, most of my complains are probably from the behind-the-scenes stuff (last minute changes for season 2, last minute changes for the finale, etc)

Quote:
I genuinely like June, because I find her lines to be amusing.
I guess I'm just confused what you're arguing. You used sarcasm on Yue and now mention June because you like her dialog. Are we talking about just liking characters or their merits? Very Happy

Quote:
What more do you want to know? Seriously. The histories of those characters are fully explained and explored.

At the very least, some resolution with Toph, and Katara. I don't think 'she hooks up with Aang' really counts as resolution. Razz

I actually kinda hope Korra doesn't flashback to the first show. I'd rather have a completely fresh start. 12 episode stand alone series could be good. I wouldn't like pointless cameos from old cast members, since it would feel like cheap fanservice. Let's just start all over and try this thing again I say.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
As for my opinion on the series, here's what I wrote on another forum:

Quote:
Oh, A:TLA has its faults. The end of the series was kinda anticlimatic and rushed, and a few episodes midseason from season 1 were kinda boring, but overall I thought the series was strong. I think what sold me on it were the characters - I liked a good majority of the cast (specifically Toph, Sokka, Zuko and Iroh) and liked how each one had their own personality and didn't feel like another cookie cutter stamp out. I liked how characters changed during the course of the story and were affected by their situations, some more radically than others. I liked how culture played a big issue in the series and how the culture was shaped according to the elements they bended, and, on a smaller level, how people's personalities were shaped by the elements they bended.

I also loved the animation and how fluid it was. It made the fight scenes that much better, especially when you could see the differences in style and techniques between the benders. The show’s creators based each Bending style on a style of real-world martial art, leading to visual differences in the techniques used by Waterbenders (tai chi chuan), Earthbenders (Hung Ga kung fu, for the most part), Firebenders (Northern Shaolin kung fu) and Airbenders (baguazhang). I thought the combination of martial arts with elemental bending was pretty cool and fun to watch.

Furthermore, I like all of the elements the series drew from Asian culture. It borrowed a lot from Asian art and mythology to create the universe. In the end, I thought a lot of thought and effort went behind the series, and that they did a good job blending the styles of anime and US western cartoons. Was there anything really original about the series? Not really, but how they blended everything together and developed the storyline and the characters was very well done. And the fighting looks awesome. I give props where it's due and A:TLA is a really well-constructed series.

And as for it being a "watered down shounen anime", at the risk of sounding like an annoying fangirl, I'm going to disagree. If I were to compare it to a shounen series, I'd compare it to FMA. The world of FMA is based around laws and logic that we can recognize, and Avatar is the same. I mean even just something as simple as the concept of Water Benders being capable of bloodbending (technically bending the fluids within one's body, but it's referred to as bloodbending) because 70% of the body is composed of water. In several shounen series, it feels like the possibilities for attacks are limitless and the amount of power behind attacks are limitless, and as such, *** pulls and godhax and constant power-ups happen. Avatar stays within its limits and amount of power-ups... in fact, some characters win battles not because they're stronger but because they're innovative and strategists. FMA also has a big cast of characters and does a good job at giving most of them some spotlight and developing them (some more than others); Avatar is the same. FMA has some strong, kickass female characters that actually DO something and contribute to the group and can fight on par with the guys; Avatar is the same.

I'm definitely looking forward to Korra. The main character sounds cool. I might even come to love her as much as Toph.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
@Megabyte117

All I am saying that overall, Season 3 really did not push the envelope of what is considered normal on kid friendly American cartoon standards. Most of the episodes in the third season are way too lighthearted and should have been more darker since the change in tone in Season 2 is what made it so special.

I also happen to find the ending with the spiritbending to be a major cop out and way out of left field without earlier foreshadowing since spiritbending was never once implied earlier on.

Compare that ending to FMA's ending where spoiler[Edward has to use the law of Equivalent Exchange in order to bring back Alphonse since that despite Hohenheim pledged to offer to sacrifice himself to bring him back, Edward still stood by his pledge that he won't use the Philosopher's Stone due to how it was made. When he confronted Truth, Edward realizes the errors of how Alchemy can also be the root of all their problems and now offers to give up his entire life's ability to use Alchemy without hesitation. When you think about it, it actually makes sense and plus, I really don't think many powerful State Alchemists will be willing to give up their power like that but for Edward, he'll do it all in a heartbeat to bring back and save his brother and that's what makes him such a great main character in the shonen genre.]

Plus, who says that you have to know the nameless characters in order to care for them before they die? The various Gundam franchises comes to mind. As for the invasions, political or not, there should have been casualties no matter what.

For the new series, I hope that Korra would actually take some lives if it is absolutely necessary because since she's not an Air Nomad, it would make things all the more interesting.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm extremely excited about this new season, it‘ll be interesting to see how its story will be executed and how it would compare to the prior ones. Disappointed at the fact that it will be a short season, but I'm looking forward to its air date nevertheless. Oh yeah, and the movie sucked IMO. I'm a huge Avatar fan.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
@MegaByte117: Wow, that was an incredible analysis of Zuko's character you found. Kudos.

Personally, I wrote that "Avatar treats its female characters with respect" and I mean they are given full character arcs that are not solely about their physical strength or lack thereof; and every one (with the exception of Yue) is more than just a romantic interest, which is incredibly refreshing.

Toph--She is *too* independent; she grew up unaccostumed to human interaction. Her parents went as far as keeping her mere existence a secret to protect her, and when she breaks out of their shell, the only way she knows how to deal with others is to fight with them. Yes, she's a master Earthbender, but so is Bumi. What we see from her is a slow development to becoming a teamplayer without losing her independence or self identity. That is her growth. (And she don't need a love interest to do it!)

Katara--She's incredibly flawed, and that's what I love about her! Of course I can relate to a girl who succumbs to anger and jealousy, who wrestles with her own dark side. We see her struggle with jealousy of Aang's talent, we see her latent anger over her mother's murder come out innappropiately when she deals with others (such as her own father and brother, and Zuko after he reforms). She falls for the wrong guys sometimes, and ignores their flaws.

She doesn't forgive anyone easily. She nutures grudges as much as she nutures people (and, yes, she can be too "motherly")! I wince when she picks fights with Toph, attacks people without reason (like the girls in "Tales of Ba Sing Se") and during the whole of "The Southern Raiders" in Book 3. She grows and matures throughout the series, but at the end, she's still not perfect. But neither is Zuko, or Aang, or anyone else. (Bias note: she's my favorite character!)

Sokka--I *love* the fact that he isn't Ron Stoppable; he's not just a butt monkey. In contrast to the trend of making male characters useless idiots (the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc), Sokka is the most vunrable character and the most consistant source of comic relief, yet he is also the most strategy-oriented guy in the bunch. He is smart, determined, and strong in character. He learns quickly how to delegate tasks to his more able comrades and how to use various tools to his advantage (including everything from his boomarang to war baloons to maps). The gals and Aang may be the strongest, but Sokka rarely takes a backseat, even when he's in a "supportive" role. Which all goes back to the basic idea that Avatar treats its characters with respect.

The only character that really fails to show any humanity is Ozai. He's a useless power hungry villian without a real motivating force, and is a dissapointment, really.

My speculation about "Korra" includes the idea that Republic City is built with the idea that it will be a place to bring peace to all the nations by allowing them to live together equally, without relying on bending to enjoy technological innovations. If the Mechanist, Teo, and Sokka weren't part of its intial building core, I'll be dissapointed. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Some of those points are interesting Agent355, because I've read reviews that speak the complete opposite. It's a lengthy read, but this one does a good job: http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/34005/avatar-the-last-airbender-complete-book-i-bending-backwards

But I'll highlight some of the tidbits.

Quote:
Watch the first twenty episodes again. Is there one spot—one thing Sokka says or one thing Sokka does—that isn't designed to set him up for a sock in the face? His instincts are 100% wrong—an entire episode is built around his bad instincts, and the other characters snigger ceaselessly over them. He almost always says exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time, and those few times that he is right he is made to act like a jerk so that someone else can smugly deflate him. The other characters play jokes on him. He is never the hero, and the few times he manages to save someone or contribute to a success, his actions are glossed over in the rush to get to some other plot point. When any other character does something right, countries on the other side of the world celebrate by declaring a national holiday. When Sokka does something right, everyone rolls their eyes.

Here is the brutal truth: Sokka is the designated schmuck, the boob who sets up the ball the other characters can tee off. Everyone else looks wiser, stronger, quicker, smarter, and funnier when they are standing next to him. And that is his only purpose: to make the others look good. The writers could have made Katara and the other characters look good on their own. Instead they chose to make Sokka look bad so the others could look kinda-sorta not-pathetic by comparison.

This is why I accuse the writers of hating him, because this is an utterly ignoble way to treat a character and to write for him. It also reflects no credit on the other characters—on Aang and Katara—that they can only look good because Sokka looks bad. It makes them look contemptible, too.

At this point, certain readers are probably dying to argue that Sokka is meant to grow and evolve over the course of the story, and that he has to start off as this raw moron if he's going to turn into a seasoned and halfway intelligent fighter. But that's a non sequitur. You don't have to make a character a relentless dumb-*** or everyone else's punching bag at the start of your series so he can get better as it goes along. What you do is give him some good, attractive, but irrelevant qualities at the start and then let him acquire other good but needed qualities as the story progresses. But what positive qualities does Sokka start with? You might argue that he starts with bravery and ambition, but the stories don't portray these qualities positively. On the contrary, from the very start they play him as a doltish, cloddish, clueless nimrod.

I've dwelt on Sokka because he's the one whose failure of characterization is most catastrophic. But the others come off almost as badly, mostly because they are stranded by the writers' inability to make layered revelations. Instead of flashing us many of their facets, the writers will build an entire episode around one or another big facet, spotlight it until it smokes under the glare, and then completely drop it after the credits roll. Is Katana jealous of Aang because he's a water prodigy, quicker at picking up the bending art? Why, yes—for one episode. Then the writers drop this promising source of conflict so they can turn Katara herself into a water-bending prodigy by the end of the season. Does Aang develop a serious crush on Katara, so that all their encounters become weird and awkward? Why, yes—for one episode. After that, it's easier to imagine the Sokka-Katara bickery turning into cutely forbidden incestuous puppy love than to picture their sexless little cueball friend feeling anything but a eunuch's tepid affection for a colleague. Meanwhile, what little development Prince Zuko gets is done in a talky-talky episode full of backstory exposition, and with a few moments when he ostentatiously refrains from kicking a dog. (The latter moments are offset by other moments when he chases and kicks two dogs, just so we won't miss the contrast.) Only Uncle Iroh suggests layers and evolves in a believable way; and his evolution feels like the result of writerly neglect as they were busily sucking the life out of their principals.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with that reviewer's opinions. In fact, I think Maxey's review ignores a few episodes. For example:

Quote:
Watch the first twenty episodes again. Is there one spot—one thing Sokka says or one thing Sokka does—that isn't designed to set him up for a sock in the face? His instincts are 100% wrong—an entire episode is built around his bad instincts, and the other characters snigger ceaselessly over them.

No, there are four episodes in the first set of 20 devoted to how spot-on Sokka's instincts are, and how wrong everyone else is, and there are moments in other episodes that take Sokka seriously/show him as a hero.

1. In the episode "Jet" Sokka is the only character who sees that under his charmed guise, Jet is more of a guerrilla terrorist willing to kill civillians than he is a freedom fighter. And he is ultimately the hero who saves a village.

2. In "Bato of the Water Tribe" Sokka shows himself capable in many ways--by leading others in order to complete a successful mission in his Ice Dodging coming-of-age ceremony; and by devising a plan to get away from the enemy (in this case, Zuko, Iroh, and the Shirshu).

3. In "The Fortuneteller" it is Sokka who proves the fortuneteller wrong and devises a plan to save the village.

4. But it is in "The Northern Air Temple" that Sokka's capabilities really come into their own. Sokka shows an understanding of science and technology as well as war strategy that helps the air temple residents resist a massive Fire Army invasion. It's a crowning-moment-of-hero episode for him (to mix up some TVTropes Wink)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12