• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece - A recent surge in quality? *spoilers*

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fair weather fan of One Piece for a while now. I've liked it well enough, but often found it pretty disposable.

Recently, especially with the Whitebeard War storyline and its aftermath, it seems like its becoming a lot more interesting and a lot more "must read". It feels like the series has, I dunno, matured a bit. (Sorry, I can't quite put my finger on it Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ). I was wondering if anyone else has felt like this? I seriously hope Oda is able to continue this great "streak" he is on.

Also, if you have been a fan in the past of One Piece, you owe it to yourself to see what's been going on.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
One Piece has always been an enjoyable story, though I'll admit the recent arcs have had a lot more depth in terms of story. It's not really recent though. The story started to really pick up, once they got to the Water 7 and CP9 arcs...
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
One piece continues to push forward, when did it ever drop in quality? Look at the recent sales figures. The latest volume released in Japan continues to break the old record. It's amazing. There are millions and millions of fans.

I'm going to say here hasn't been a surge, it has always been there. You yourself are probably more interested now that spoiler[Luffy has lost Ace, has BOA fawning over him, and has decided to reunite with his nakama.]

spoiler[What kills me the most is that, they all got separated by Kuma so easily. The whole adventure has been the feeling of togetherness with your nakama, just to get the rude awakening of being torn apart.]

If you are going to talk about maturity, then I will say that was the start of it. If anything it's getting into the good part of the story where we get to see more of spoiler[ Dragon and what the revolutionaries have been doing (who is really in control and what answer they want from the marines), what each Mugiwara has brought back though the trials of being split up, what the marines are going to do now that Whitebeards era is over (what that message was to Buggy?) and what the celestial dragons are going to do once Luffy has to go back to get 1000 sunny. ]

There is just a bunch of great things going on right now. Plus his work on the 10th (First actual movie in my opinion) movie Strong World, it's really exciting to be a one piece fan right now.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I was a passive fan of One Piece, but Impel Down and onwards was amazing. I like One Piece more than Bleach and Naruto at this point.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved One Piece.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Personally I think OP dropped off as soon as the East Blue arcs ended. all the other arcs aside from thriller bark have been "meh" to me. Don't get me wrong its a decent series, just not really my Cup O tea. (but none the less I read it every month in SJ along with Naruto & Bleach, cause I feel like a jerk when I drop a series. lol.)
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Really? In my opinion, the only arc that has been "meh" to me was Skypiea, and even that picks up near the end. Immediately after East Blue when they first go to the Grand Line it does get a little slow (but Little Garden and Laboon DO have a point) but it picks up again on Drum Island.
What do you think is meh about it? My only real complaint is how long the bigger arcs are, but because they're long there's so much detail put into them.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Really? In my opinion, the only arc that has been "meh" to me was Skypiea, and even that picks up near the end. Immediately after East Blue when they first go to the Grand Line it does get a little slow (but Little Garden and Laboon DO have a point) but it picks up again on Drum Island.
What do you think is meh about it? My only real complaint is how long the bigger arcs are, but because they're long there's so much detail put into them.

To be honest, I found Alabasta Drawn out & just plain boring at times, and as for the others, They just didn't do anything for me, I didn't think they were bad, just didn't really find them all that entertaining either, on top of that aside from luffy,Chopper & Sanji, I don't find any of the other characters in the series that interesting. Dont get me wrong zoro's a cool guy, just don't care for him much. Not to mention all the female characters are bascially just eye-candy. sure they can fight, but not much in the personality department. Cept maybe Nami, but she's getting sort of cliche as well. Again I don't hate OP or anything, just don't see the appeal. Its a good serries, just not my cup of tea.
glargmonster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
population_tire wrote:

To be honest, I found Alabasta Drawn out & just plain boring at times, and as for the others, They just didn't do anything for me, I didn't think they were bad, just didn't really find them all that entertaining either, on top of that aside from luffy,Chopper & Sanji, I don't find any of the other characters in the series that interesting. don't get me wrong zoro's a cool guy, just don't care for him much. Not to mention all the female characters are bascially just eye-candy. sure they can fight, but not much in the personality department. Cept maybe Nami, but she's getting sort of cliche as well. Again I don't hate OP or anything, just don't see the appeal. Its a good serries, just not my cup of tea.

I get you on that point. I absolutely love one piece, so to see someone kind of like it makes me tempted to rant and rave about it's greatness some more. However I feel the same way about naruto as you apparently do about one piece, so I understand.

As for the recent surge of quality idea, I really enjoy it when one piece expands its world, as it's a very interesting world and I'm still dying to know more. spoiler[As previously mentioned, not much has been said about the revolutionaries, two of the yonkou are pretty much unknown, and there are still a lot of mysteries left to solve, like what's the deal with Kuma, Moria's status (almost guaranteed to survive though, no one dies in one piece!) what did the government ask Buggy and so on. ]

There's simply a lot going on, which makes me wonder how Oda will handle what happened during the timeskip. When I first saw that there was going to be a timeskip I was actually disappointed but there's very little I don't like about one piece so it's likely I'll still enjoy the results.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I felt that way about Naruto until Sasuke finally fought Itachi. And now there's government conspiracies and whatnot and I actually find it good.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The timeskip isn't confirmed. He just said it would be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old. I call birthday party.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
After listening to way too many "it gets better in the next arc!" I pretty much dropped One Piece at the Thriller Bark.

I really don't care what I a lot of people say, if a series fails to entertain you sufficently after a few hundred chapters, it's a failure, no matter what may happen afterwards.
glargmonster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
After listening to way too many "it gets better in the next arc!" I pretty much dropped One Piece at the Thriller Bark.

I really don't care what I a lot of people say, if a series fails to entertain you sufficently after a few hundred chapters, it's a failure, no matter what may happen afterwards.

I actually agree with you, at least the part about "it gets better in the next arc!" sort of stuff. I clearly love One Piece but if something doesn't get your attention then don't read/watch it. In fact I'm impressed you got all the way to Thriller Bark before giving up. Personally, if I read more then 20 or so chapters of something I couldn't stand I would think I was crazy. The idea that you need to read more of something you don't like before you can appreciate said thing is annoying. This idea comes with the assumption that the manga or whatever in question is so incredibly awesome that there is no way anyone can't like it, so the issue has to be you need to read more of it. These are commercial products after all, if the first chapter didn't get your attention you'd have the right to drop it.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
glargmonster wrote:
spoiler[As previously mentioned, not much has been said about the revolutionaries, two of the yonkou are pretty much unknown, and there are still a lot of mysteries left to solve, like what's the deal with Kuma, Moria's status (almost guaranteed to survive though, no one dies in one piece!) what did the government ask Buggy and so on. ].

spoiler[Except Ace and Whitebeard of course!]

Anyway, as for the recent surge in quality of One Piece I never really thought that any part of it was bad. The series definitely has some spots where it can lag a bit, but overall I always found it fun to read and looked forward to the updates. The newest arc was fantastic though! I'm really interested in finding out about what spoiler[is up with Coby and more about Sabo (who I think could be Law)].
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
glargmonster wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I actually agree with you, at least the part about "it gets better in the next arc!" sort of stuff. I clearly love One Piece but if something doesn't get your attention then don't read/watch it. In fact I'm impressed you got all the way to Thriller Bark before giving up. Personally, if I read more then 20 or so chapters of something I couldn't stand I would think I was crazy. The idea that you need to read more of something you don't like before you can appreciate said thing is annoying. This idea comes with the assumption that the manga or whatever in question is so incredibly awesome that there is no way anyone can't like it, so the issue has to be you need to read more of it. These are commercial products after all, if the first chapter didn't get your attention you'd have the right to drop it.

Well, I was able to tolerate the sillyness, overwrought drama (the death of Nami's mother, nuff said) and played out humor (Luffy's hungry again! Saji's hitting on a girl again!), because the series nonetheless DID feel very original and imaginative...even though Oda pretty much has the imagination of child in desperate need of ritalin.

But I more or less reached my limit after the HORRIBLE Davey Back Fight arc and quit for a good while. Out of curiosityI decided to pick it up again and almost quit AGAIN at the Water 7 arc when Franky showed up, as he is in my opinion, the most juvenile-designed character in recent mainstream shonen comics (He's like a cyborg-Popye-Ace-Venture! And he's wearing little shorts! it's funny! And he's powerd by soda and has super-farts!). But I guess the fact that the focus shifted on Nico Robin, easily the most interesting character in the book (most original super-power ever in fact), kept me going...even though her character arc in that story was pretty much a thematical rehash of Nami's ("I'm an orphan! And I'm a criminal, please don't save me!")...

You could almost say that my relationship with One Piece is borderline masochistic at this point...

Maybe one day I'll pick the series up again, but the fact that Oda has said that the series is only 50%/60% has pretty much killed my interest in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2