• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne versions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The thread in the anime section has finally inspired me to ask: What is up with all of the editions? I'm looking to give the show a try, but I'm not sure which version of it to buy, and AoD/Mania isn't really helping me. The only thing I know for sure is that the "perfect collection" comes with a figure of the mech. Is the figure really good? Is it worth finding?
wormraper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
The thread in the anime section has finally inspired me to ask: What is up with all of the editions? I'm looking to give the show a try, but I'm not sure which version of it to buy, and AoD/Mania isn't really helping me. The only thing I know for sure is that the "perfect collection" comes with a figure of the mech. Is the figure really good? Is it worth finding?

are we asking about the TV series or the Movie???
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Depends on how much you love the TV show. If you are an Esca die hard, then get the perfect collection for the box and figure. I personally got the eight singles. The inserts are awesome btw.

As for the movie, get the blue special edition box. Tons of extras, 5.1 audio, and a soundtrack. That Blu-ray release is bare bones compared to it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm going for the TV Series + Movie set that's in the design of a book (think Clow/Sakura Book for CCS).

However, I think it boils down to what kind of collector you are. If you just want to watch the show, I'd suggest the Super Legends set since it's super cheap. If you're more a of a collector type, it's a toss up between the Perfect Collection (the one you mentioned) and the Complete Collection (the one I mentioned). With one, you get a neat little figure, but have two, big bulky boxes and no movie. The thinpack is slimmer and has the movie, but doesn't come with a neat figure. Truly is a tough choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zhir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
zhir wrote:

are we asking about the TV series or the Movie???

The TV show. With the movie it seems clear that the 3 disc set with soundtrack it the best.

Thanks King. The perfect collection is really tempting, but I am basically out of shelf space. Does anyone have the figure? Is it worth it?
wormraper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ok, personally I think the figurine is kinda a waste. It's small and not very pretty looking. IMO I would get the Super anime legends set. It's the SAME discs as all the others in a slimmer packaging with some very tasteful cover art. And it's rather cheap to get
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
There used to be a nine disc "Perfect Collection" set a while back ago, that had held the discs in stacked trays, and basically opened like a book.

I don't think there was a more perfect collection than that one, since it came with the entire series and the movie. I got mine about....erh, about six years ago at a Best Buy for $60?

But, no matter where I look, I can't find one like it anymore - not even on eBay. So, I'm gonna assume it was as rare as the CB Perfect Sessions set.
wormraper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
There used to be a nine disc "Perfect Collection" set a while back ago, that had held the discs in stacked trays, and basically opened like a book.

I don't think there was a more perfect collection than that one, since it came with the entire series and the movie. I got mine about....erh, about six years ago at a Best Buy for $60?

But, no matter where I look, I can't find one like it anymore - not even on eBay. So, I'm gonna assume it was as rare as the CB Perfect Sessions set.

lol, it was a very limited edition release and the "bad" thing about it was that it was the old barebones edition of the movie not the pimped out version that the Ultimate edition is.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Very limited, eh?

In that case, I'd like to put out a hit for my friend Anthony. Mad I lent him the set a while, whiiiile ago, and he cracked the damn cases.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Um, what? The Complete Collection is available on both Amazon and Ebay. Now, on ebay, the Perfect Collection is much more abundant, but the Complete still pops up from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Um, what? The Complete Collection is available on both Amazon and Ebay. Now, on ebay, the Perfect Collection is much more abundant, but the Complete still pops up from time to time.

It is, technically, a very limited release... the blue cover 9-disc set was only available over 1 Chirstmas season. However, with the other releases out there that have nicer case art (read: actual case art), it's not especially in demand so it's fairly easy to get.

I know this becuase Bandai did 2 special holiday-only releases that year. I could only buy one, so I got Escaflowne... instead of the Ronin Warriors set. *bangs head against wall*
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The other holiday set they had was Love Hina - it included everything in the same style of packaging.

That one...on the other hand, is a bit more difficult to hunt down... If even possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1