• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
the ending on the end of evangelion movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DL Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else find this ending to be kind of a let down?

spoiler[
At first I thought Shinji had actually killed Asuka, and then Asuke says "how disgusting", which really doesn't make sense, especially seeing as how she was almost strangled to death. I would have been satisfied with just a little more of something, such as just having a still shot of what's on the dvd box and movie poster, which would have to take place after the choking thing (Asuke sitting near the liquid with Shinji standing next to her, both looking to the sky). ]
I just thought there was no resolution at all kind-of. Anyone else think this?

[edit: spoiler tags added -b]
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
DL Stalker wrote:
Did anyone else find this ending to be kind of a let down?

spoiler[At first I thought Shinji had actually killed Asuka, and then Asuke says "how disgusting", which really doesn't make sense, especially seeing as how she was almost strangled to death. I would have been satisfied with just a little more of something, such as just having a still shot of what's on the dvd box and movie poster, which would have to take place after the choking thing (Asuke sitting near the liquid with Shinji standing next to her, both looking to the sky). ]
I just thought there was no resolution at all kind-of. Anyone else think this?
Yeah! I see what you mean. I agree 100 %.
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Good evening, I am a new user on this message board. Nice to find an EVA fan such as yourself.

***SPOILERS***

I believe that the End of Evangelion was a very meaningful movie. spoiler[ The ending leaves Shinji and Asuka alone on the screen, Adam and Eve symbolism hinting at a sort of rebirth of mankind. In the end, Shinji rejected Instrumentality in order to return to the world he once lived in; thus it can be assumed thateveryone will return to life since Yui(I think it was her, not sure who I'm quoting) said that anyone with the will to live will return to Shinji's reality. What the movie resolved was the Intrumentality Project which occurred as Third Impact. Shinji did not accept existance as one with all of mankind so the movie ends up like how it was in the beginning of the series; a world of separate entities living on but will surely die one day. However, Evangelion Unit 01(Yui Ikari's soul) will live on in the depths of space to prove that man existed. So the movie dictates that man will always exist. ] Wow, I think that is quite the resolution, don't you agree?

[edit: spoiler tags added -b]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find the movie ending a let down at all. There's several ways you can you interpret the last scene. spoiler[When she says, "I feel sick," you can see it to mean that she realizes how badly mankind had regressed and she feels ashamed of what happened. Or some people think that maybe she's pregnant, which would show Asuka and Shinji as a new Adam and Eve. Shinji had the opportunity to accept Instrumentality, but instead, he chose to go back to the real world. He finds himself alone at the end of the world with Asuka, destined to give mankind another chance to start over again. ] I agree heartily with what DragonofHeaven said.

Try watching the movie spliced in between the last two episodes: 25TV, 25movie, 26TV, 26movie. That might give you a better idea of how Instrumentality fits into the ending, since it plays such a huge part.[/spoiler]
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Try watching the movie spliced in between the last two episodes: 25TV, 25movie, 26TV, 26movie. That might give you a better idea of how Instrumentality fits into the ending, since it plays such a huge part.

Interesting enough, after I saw the End of Evangelion for the first time, I went through the series ending and some things started falling into place. I noticed that some scenes in the series' Intrumentality were in the feature movie; listening to the dialogue carefully and realizing that really helped me in clarifying Instrumentality.

Oh, so the spoiler does that? Nice board feature, I used to change the font to white using HTML myself but then I decided that people would get the *SPOILER* thing... Saves a lot of trouble, I should spread the idea to my regular boards.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
DragonofHeaven wrote:

Interesting enough, after I saw the End of Evangelion for the first time, I went through the series ending and some things started falling into place.

Yup, that's the way it is with Eva, the more you watch, the more you notice things and they start to fall in place. The best way sense wise to watch it is as Sakechan suggests, but at the same time I don't know many people who actually would do it that way.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
The last line is more ambiguous. Asuka's "kimochi warui" can mean "I feel sick" or "you make me sick." Anno's last stab at confusing the audience Anime smile

hakootoko
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Driven mad by his internal struggles, Shinji almost strangles Asuka for real later in the movie. She is saved by finally admitting her feelings to him, and as she gently caresses his cheek he snaps out of his delusion and collapses in tears. By opening their hearts to one another Shinji and Asuka at last have a chance at happiness. Unfortunately the brutality of this scene obscures its tender meaning, and the Evangelion saga ends on a dour note despite reprising the positive message from its television conclusion.

This is key, the ending is actually a happy one, but it is so brutal that the taste is ashes.
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I believe so as well. spoiler[In retrospect, I thought the movie leaves hope in the hearts of the audience: hope that mankind will make further progress in evading their bleak, inevitable future of death. It's nice that Anno stuck the Adam and Eve symbolism in there; a rebirth of mankind after Instrumentality. Much better than letting everyone die off anyway.]

Also, some speculation on the source king_micah quoted. spoiler[Very interesting. I thought that Shinji attempted to strangle Asuka also to prove that he was not alone in the world. When Asuka caresses his cheek, he realizes that his surreal nightmare of Instrumentality had ended. With Asuka and Shinji left alone on-screen, one can only hope for the best for those two.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1