• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[flake] Please remove these persons in Encyclopedia

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
386sky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
Please remove Toru Sugawara on the database and keep Tohru Sugawara on the database.

Also, please remove Yuuko Orikasa on the database and keep Yuko Orikasa on the database.

Bold characters are called single characters, which may look like Livedoor articles.

Edit: removed line but you are Korean.

Last edited by 386sky on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Where's the proof?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It is nonsense anyway, e.g. we don't have Kentarou Hashimoto, we only have Kentaro Hashimoto. Kentarou is actually more correct here, although since we've adopted Revised Hepburn as the standard it should strictly be Kentarō anyway. No-one has yet suggested the mammoth task of updating all the names, or what to do in cases where there is a well established or preferred English spelling for someone that contradicts this, like Masamune Shirow and Leiji Matsumoto (although the database could probably be amended to allow for both "preferred" and standard romanizations I guess).

I won't be doing this anyway; I think I can actually merge or at least add AKAs but I'm not going to touch that side of things without guidance or at least explicit permission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
No-one has yet suggested the mammoth task of updating all the names, or what to do in cases where there is a well established or preferred English spelling for someone that contradicts this, like Masamune Shirow and Leiji Matsumoto (although the database could probably be amended to allow for both "preferred" and standard romanizations I guess).
[technical off-topic stuff]
It's less of a mammoth task for contributors/editors but more of a mammoth task for Dan42 to incompatibly change his data model to allow a "canonical" romanization (perhaps even auto-generated from a new pair of hiragana fields so that every user could configure the romanization they like?) and a "proprietary" romanization for the person ("Shirow" instead of "Shirou"), plus the logic of displaying the "best" one (i. e. override the canonical romanization with the proprietary one in case the latter is not empty). Most of the transformation from the current state into the new data format could be done via SQL statements (despite the known Sato/Satou issues many of which could be resolved by checking the kanji); the bigger workload would be to manually set the proprietary exceptions.
[/technical off-topic stuff]
386sky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
You can find the proof here to remove these persons.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
No, we can't because your PM folder is private and noone except you can read it, and only when you're logged in as "386sky".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1