• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter from the Editor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
oh...I'm just pulling your leg.[snip] to be honest, I actually consider hiring Gia to be a real coup...

Heh, gotcha. Next time use a smiley. Very Happy

And you're far from the only one shocked and delighted that we could get Gia. We really lucked out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
That's what they're there for. And no, they're not illegal.

They're technically illegal to use that way in several nations (including the USA) that have "anti-circumvention" laws.

Personally, I don't blame people for using them. Region locking sucks. Unfortunately its something we're stuck with.

-t
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Use a proxy. That's what they're there for. And no, they're not illegal. ...

Note that US advertisers do not like to pay for views to viewers from other countries - I'd guess that is a reason why Hulu had to block access to IP addresses used by prominent proxy servers.

That's why I've previously suggested to EU-based members at Crunchyroll to proxy as another EU country, when there is some EU access for the anime they want to watch. But of course, in US-only streaming sites, that's not an option.
Stormwaltz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind casual stuff, but that's not what I come here for.

I don't use newsfeeds, I browse the site directly - will there be a site setting to filter the casual items off the front page and new achive?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
That's what they're there for. And no, they're not illegal.

They're technically illegal to use that way in several nations (including the USA) that have "anti-circumvention" laws.

Personally, I don't blame people for using them. Region locking sucks. Unfortunately its something we're stuck with.

-t

Just for the record, do you happen to know if they are illegal in Japan for that purpose as well?
Ryojen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Any chance Gia will be a regular participant on the podcast? Or maybe she'll start a podcast of her own? Shocked
Delpheno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Should be interesting... but

This still does not address the issue why Baccano! did not win best anime in 2009.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Just how "casual" are we talking? ANN isn't going to become Sankaku Complex, will it?

You know, that's precisely the fear I got while I was reading the article.... I guess it'll be fine as long as 4chan doesn't become a main source for the "casual news". :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Stormwaltz wrote:
will there be a site setting to filter the casual items off the front page and new achive?

Yes. I would imagine the casual items will have their own separate archive.

Ryojen wrote:
Any chance Gia will be a regular participant on the podcast? Or maybe she'll start a podcast of her own? Shocked

We'll have Gia on from time to time. There are no plans to start another podcast at this time (it'd likely be rather redundant).
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'll be very interested to hear what the new changes will be. I was happy with ANN before, so all this new stuff is just icing on the cake for me.

Yeah same here,I look forward to the changes and this weeks ANNCast with Christopher Macdonald.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Azure Shift wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'll be very interested to hear what the new changes will be. I was happy with ANN before, so all this new stuff is just icing on the cake for me.

Yeah same here,I look forward to the changes and this weeks ANNCast with Christopher Macdonald.

The podcast will be up tomorrow, just a headsup.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Well I have to say in the past year there have been more changes total then in any other year. I might be wrong but it sure seems that way. So just on the effort alone kudos to Chris, Zac, Justin, and Dan for really trying to add more content and take ANN into new directions. I personally am looking forward to the "lighter side" of the news. I think the kind of articles Gia will be posting will be a nice contrast to the "official" news feeds and press releases. It'll be nice to be informed about official industry information and also just trends and information about the anime fandom as a culture as well. Loving the new video player btw so a big thumbs up to Justin on that one. My one question is will Gia be having a specific weekly column that is more open ended where she writes about whatever really is "hot and trendy" or will it just be more random articles based on these trends as they come up? Basically will it be more of a weekly column or more like news articles is what I'm asking?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, sounds like ANN is just gonna keep getting bigger and better. Can't wait. I think I've been coming here for information and the encyclopedia since about 2003 or 2004, though obviously I didn't register in the forums until much later. I look forward to your continued presence in the online anime community, and many good things to come.

Cheers!
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, in 24 months, if you compare the new ANN with the ANN of today, you might hardly recognize the site.

If this means layout changes, I hope you all suffer frequent paper cuts in the next 24 months. There is nothing more nonsensical and infuriating as pointlessly fixing something that not only isn't broken but works very well in its current state.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If this means layout changes, I hope you all suffer frequent paper cuts in the next 24 months.

Oh wow that's greedy. It's already been mentioned that the old layout will be available at http://animenewsnetwork.com/news/ for those who dislike change. You're like the old man at work who says "No news is good news", except that he doesn't know the real meaning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4