• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lapses of logic that bug me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
The biggest one that's bugged me for a long time was the end of Death Note. We have Light, who constantly one-upped the greatest detective in the world - who also happened be be with him nearly constantly for quite some time - by keeping cool and stuff, would suddenly freak out when Near got him at the end. Near had no actual evidence - only a correct theory, just like L had. Why did he fall apart then? He was in an even better position than he was with L, and yet he throws it all away. Totally out of character, and made no sense.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Quote:
I don't remember the scenes concerning your 3rd point, but isn't Haruhi lacking common sense and rationality one of the quirks of her character from the get-go?

She lacks common sense most of the time, but it seems to come back whenever it's convenient, like when spoiler[Kyon tells her the real identities of the SOS Brigade members].

She most certainly does not lack common sense, she simply chooses to ignore it because it is boring. That's kind of the point of her telling Kyon about the time she went to the baseball game, and she realized how insignificant she is in the world. That's why she decides to make "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina", because she knows that nothing so outrageous could ever really happen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Yes and also in Haruhi, that even thought it may not look it she does have common sense, spoiler[if not the universe would be all screwy. Though for example when she was makeing the movie, she was getting a bit carried away at times and screwy things started to happen like extinct pigeons appearing, mikuru beam and a talking cat. If she had no common sense, crazy things would happen more often.]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
The biggest one that's bugged me for a long time was the end of Death Note. We have Light, who constantly one-upped the greatest detective in the world - who also happened be be with him nearly constantly for quite some time - by keeping cool and stuff, would suddenly freak out when Near got him at the end. Near had no actual evidence - only a correct theory, just like L had. Why did he fall apart then? He was in an even better position than he was with L, and yet he throws it all away. Totally out of character, and made no sense.
Near had the same training and background that L had. They were both raised in strict, focused environment to become expert detectives. Plus Near's conclusions were derived from everything L had researched, while L started from scratch. I think L would have eventually overcame Light, but one big difference is that L had emotion and a deep respect for Light. I think he really knew all along that Light was Kira but he was also his only true friend and a kind of special bond that was as deep as any kind of love. Near had no such reservations, he was a cold and calculating detective who only found joy in doing what he was destined to do.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
How Haruhi interprets what happened isn't the issue. Her awareness coming and going for no reason is what I'm talking about.

Her awareness did not 'come and go for no reason.' spoiler[She wasn't understanding what was happening either. Then, she saw what she had always wanted to see in the other world happening right in front of her. This is what started to trigger her, but she still never 'gets there.' She even says "I don't know why, but I just know that things will be all right and they will appear!" thus proving that whatever she was doing was still very subconscious at this time; in other words, she had not become aware.]
And how she interprets the ordeal is indeed important to this issue: spoiler[she concluded it was all a dream, therefore, whatever state of awakening she was in was reversed back to zero.]

Quote:
spoiler[Kyon doesn't want a world that isn't exactly identical to his current one. How is this logical? It's just a whim if you look at it objectively. The dimension they were in looked strange because it was incomplete. It wasn't the final result.]

The problem here, I think, is that you are not considering the big picture. spoiler[The world was incomplete, yes, however, look at what was happening just at the start of this world. I could only imagine how ephed up of a world that would eventually turn into. Koizumi also explains how if Haruhi ever became aware that espers, aliens, and time travelers existed, she would then start subconsciously implementing them everywhere, disrupting the balance of the world into chaos and so on. Therefore, the world that Haruhi wants, would be quite the hell-hole for anyone who is not Haruhi.]

Quote:
We are told Haruhi can spoiler[create a whole new universe. In that case she can easily create Koizumi and the others exactly the way they were before.]

This might hold merit if spoiler[Kyon had not made contact with Koizumi from the other side, but the fact of the matter is, he did; therefore, no matter how exact Haruhi's copy of his friends in the other world were, to Kyon they were still just mere copies, and he still knew that the other world was possibly in danger of ceasing to exist.]
On a more 'pretentious' level; spoiler[how could Haruhi make exact replicas of the people if she didn't even know much about them in the first place? She didn't know what Mikuru, Koizumi, or Nagato really were, about their personal interactions with Kyon, at this point in the series she didn't know Kyon's sister. So then, the only way in which your claim can hold truth, is if you completely do away with sense and logic and say "well, because she's a god" which would be completely inconsistent with the way of which this series presented itself.]
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Her awareness did not 'come and go for no reason.' spoiler[She wasn't understanding what was happening either. Then, she saw what she had always wanted to see in the other world happening right in front of her. This is what started to trigger her, but she still never 'gets there.' She even says "I don't know why, but I just know that things will be all right and they will appear!" thus proving that whatever she was doing was still very subconscious at this time; in other words, she had not become aware.]

spoiler[Haruhi is never fully conscious of her abilities, but during the time in the 'other dimension' she became partially aware of what was happening and, more importantly, what was going to happen. For example, she tells Kyon she's certain they will "see the sun again". How could she possibly know that if she was unaware?]

Quote:
The problem here, I think, is that you are not considering the big picture. spoiler[The world was incomplete, yes, however, look at what was happening just at the start of this world. I could only imagine how ephed up of a world that would eventually turn into. Koizumi also explains how if Haruhi ever became aware that espers, aliens, and time travelers existed, she would then start subconsciously implementing them everywhere, disrupting the balance of the world into chaos and so on. Therefore, the world that Haruhi wants, would be quite the hell-hole for anyone who is not Haruhi.]

Koizumi also says that spoiler[Haruhi's new dimension will "soon start looking familiar". This implies it wouldn't be too different from the 'real world' once it's completed.]

spoiler[The excuses Koizumi, Nagato and Asahina give for letting Haruhi stay ignorant aren't very convincing if you think about them carefully. Implying that Haruhi created a universe subconsciously is nonsense, unless her subconscious can function by itself, in which case it would be a separate entity. Koizumi's theory is pure speculation. There's a high chance it's wrong considering how little is known about the link between Haruhi's mind/desires and her abilities and it doesn't have anything to do with Haruhi's desire to create a new world anyway.]

Quote:
This might hold merit if spoiler[Kyon had not made contact with Koizumi from the other side, but the fact of the matter is, he did; therefore, no matter how exact Haruhi's copy of his friends in the other world were, to Kyon they were still just mere copies, and he still knew that the other world was possibly in danger of ceasing to exist.]
On a more 'pretentious' level; spoiler[how could Haruhi make exact replicas of the people if she didn't even know much about them in the first place? She didn't know what Mikuru, Koizumi, or Nagato really were, about their personal interactions with Kyon, at this point in the series she didn't know Kyon's sister. So then, the only way in which your claim can hold truth, is if you completely do away with sense and logic and say "well, because she's a god" which would be completely inconsistent with the way of which this series presented itself.]

This is just silly. spoiler[An exact replica would be indistinguishable from the original. If Kyon met one in the new world, for all he knows it is the original. As Koizumi explains afterwards, their reality could very well be the new world. And how could Haruhi not know anything about the SOS Brigade members? The current theory is that she created their universe, so replicating one tiny part of it would be child's play regardless if it's her subconscious doing all the work.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TKDSoldier wrote:
In DBZ when Frieza fires that blast into Namek and saying the planet will explode in 5 minutes, which takes 5 episodes instead.

I don't see why people have a problem with this. Haven't you ever considered that Frieza's estimate was wrong? He even states in the show that the planet was "stubborn" and lasting longer than he thought it would.

TKDSoldier wrote:
Also about Evangelion, let's be honest how many organizations/military/etc in Mecha series REALLY take good care of the pilots.

But we are talking about the safety of the human race, and machines that will only accept one pilot (even with spoiler[the dummy plug system initiated, as seen in the eighteenth episode).]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Can someone, somewhere please inject into whatever schools exist for budding anime creators the knowledge that there is no such thing as a skyscraper that can remain intact when leaning more than 5 degrees from vertical?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
How about that scene in Kaze no Yojimbo in which a helicopter hovers over a burning house? Any pilot who tried to pull that stunt would (a) lose his licence, and (b) die.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:11 am Reply with quote
TKDSoldier wrote:
In DBZ when Frieza fires that blast into Namek and saying the planet will explode in 5 minutes, which takes 5 episodes instead.

Five episodes is vastly underrating it.

Look, Freeza's very sensitive about his lack of time-telling skills. Don't think he hasn't tried to cope with it.

As for Evangelion, what really bothers me is why anyone would be stupid enough to own a car in Tokyo-3. It's just going to get destroyed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Five episodes is vastly underrating it.

I think it was eight episodes in the end.

penguintruth wrote:
As for Evangelion, what really bothers me is why anyone would be stupid enough to own a car in Tokyo-3. It's just going to get destroyed.

That's a fatalistic attitude. Misato's got to find something to spend her paycheck on (besides beer that is).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's a fatalistic attitude. Misato's got to find something to spend her paycheck on (besides beer that is).

She can always use the money to hire a housekeeper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Space opera shows where spaceships will lose the oxygen if damaged, yet people can still breath outside regardless (I suppose the oxygen escaping by the hole on the ship filled the galaxy rather quickly). Glass Fleet is absolutely guilty of that.

Also in Naruto when the old man Hokage spoiler[was stabbed by Orochimaru and stayed alive for another 20 episodes or so, even though Orochimaru never removed the sword.] It feels as if the power balance is crumbling a few times; at times the characters are wounded easily and die easily, at others they are like the Terminator from Terminator 2.

penguintruth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

She can always use the money to hire a housekeeper.

You don't understand it at all. We messy people love our mess. Hiring a maid would be like killing our inner selves, or throwing us in the middle of an unknown jungle in Afghanistan.
Stocking up empty bottles/cans of whatever we drink is like our natural hobby.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
...throwing us in the middle of an unknown jungle in Afghanistan.

... okay. You gotta watch out for the Brazilian tundra, too.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
One thing that's pretty encompassing for a lot of series is the fact that characters always wear the same clothes. You'll see them wear the same outfit day after day after day.

The only possible explanations are that the plot is only advanced on the days those clothes are worn (The Plot Advancing Outfit™), or they own lots and lots of the same clothes and wear a new set every day.

Obviously it's not true for every anime, but a good chunk of them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6