• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Confirms No DVD for Honey & Clover, 3 Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
A shame, I would have bought the 'eff out of Honey and Clover. Too bad, so sad, Manga's out £60 or so.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Unfortunatly not, god knows why almost no one will do NTSC releases. That conversion job + new masters apears to be the expensive bit of releasing things here. This is far bigger than BBFC costs which are about £3-4k for 26 eps (was discussing this on another forum).

Standards conversion can be done in software for almost nothing these days. If they're still paying a post-production house to do it for them... well, they're throwing money away.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:
Unfortunatly not, god knows why almost no one will do NTSC releases. That conversion job + new masters apears to be the expensive bit of releasing things here. This is far bigger than BBFC costs which are about £3-4k for 26 eps (was discussing this on another forum).

Standards conversion can be done in software for almost nothing these days. If they're still paying a post-production house to do it for them... well, they're throwing money away.
Wouln't be the first time Manga's been accused of that. Thowing money away.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Once again the UK gets the short end of the stick....

This is why I own a multi-region DVD player, so I can just buy DVDs from America rather than sit with my fingers crossed hoping something gets a UK release.

That said, a friend of mine likes Honey and Clover and does not have a multi-region DVD player, so that's three box set sales lost.

Does anyone know how sales went in the US? Maybe Manga Entertainment thought sales wouldn't recoup costs. I guess.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
While I do admit that it would be really foolish to not give Honey & Clover DVD releases, it would be nice if you guys could understand that they will "probably" not give it a DVD release. What I see here is just Manga grouping H&C with a bunch of uninteresting titles that would hardly bring in much profit, if not loss. So the possibility is there, and depending on the digital sales its chances of getting a DVD release would be higher. But I just have to wonder if they're aware of what jsevakis mentioned.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:

Must be the masters then?
We otherwise share masters with Austrailia or sometimes France.
Most UK DVDs are authored by Madman.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:

Wouln't be the first time Manga's been accused of that. Thowing money away.
Exactly. I think that's just a lame excuse for not wanting to pay the cost of the BBFC review and rating cause they think it won't sell enough to break even. Beez is pulling the same excuse for Durarara, blaming it on "taped masters cost too much to convert". Somebody's making a killing if that the case.
BBQVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
The British Bard of Film Classification is a joke. You people need to get free speech rights.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The BBFC is there so an age certificate can be issued to the film and therefore go on sale and buyers can make informed decisions about the content. All films here are required to carry an age certificate by law. It's nothing to do with censorship, the only likely reason anything would get censored would be if it contained illegal content.

In any case, it's a shame about Honey and Clover, guess I'll have to import then.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Exactly. I think that's just a lame excuse for not wanting to pay the cost of the BBFC review and rating cause they think it won't sell enough to break even.

BBFC review is punitively expensive, mind. Last I checked it was three times the price of the australian equivalent and it technically didn't even guarantee your title could legally be sold.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
BBQVegeta wrote:

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The BBFC is there so an age certificate can be issued to the film and therefore go on sale and buyers can make informed decisions about the content. All films here are required to carry an age certificate by law. It's nothing to do with censorship, the only likely reason anything would get censored would be if it contained illegal content.

In any case, it's a shame about Honey and Clover, guess I'll have to import then.

See link above about exactly how bulshit that can be. They're a censor they censor stuff.

And not all films need BBFCing there are exemptions.
It's things that break the BBFCs rules that have to be cut. They'd still for the most part be tottaly ok uncut, BBFC cuts things far less severe than would likely break obscene publications. NB; that things like Lost Girls is ok and that would never get past the BBFC if turned into a film.

No one trusts their age ratings much anymore, 18 and R18 are ok, but the other 4 especialy 12-15 are given seemingly randomly at times. They tend to assume your a braindead idiot who'll parot next to anything they see on film and that you can't tell fiction from reality.

Lack of free speach here is a fair comment, see esp. libel law. J-Syxx or ANN could probably be sued to kningdom hell for that comment; libel (you wrote that and it was published here, I wouldn't be able to read it otherwise) is guilty until proven inocent and doesn't have a jury (if the BBFC chose to consider being "a joke" as harmful to their reputation).
Writing IMHO before any opinion you have no concrete fact to back up is there for legal protection not just courtesy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Exactly. I think that's just a lame excuse for not wanting to pay the cost of the BBFC review and rating cause they think it won't sell enough to break even.

BBFC review is punitively expensive, mind. Last I checked it was three times the price of the australian equivalent and it technically didn't even guarantee your title could legally be sold.
I never said it wasn't, but Manga and Beez are telling us no that's not the highest cost deterent, instead they are blaming format conversion and authoring as well as. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
Mentioned this on AoD last Monday - didn't seem like big news as I couldn't even remember these being announced in the first place.
Also mentioned around the same time was the fact that Blood+ will not be getting a UK release ("We gave up on this license some time ago. Issue with access to English dub. Sorry!" - http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/16131001765)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Seymour85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'm really gutted about the Honey and Clover annoucment. I was really hoping for a UK release based on the price of the R1 set alone, not including the extra fee to get it through customs. Looks like I'll have to scrape some pennies together and maybe cut back on a few other purchases for this month.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
egoist wrote:
That doesn't matter that much nowadays, as the newer TV models can play both. So, the short answer is it's the type of TV the DVD is made for. NTSC applies to North American countries and a few others, while PAL applies to a bigger variety of countries, and UK is one of them. That's why when a store exports this media they (usually) warn its consumers, like "requires an NTSC compatible TV", which basically translates into: "move your arse and buy a better TV".

I find this puzzling too, because there is atleast one company I know of from the UK that does an occasional release in NTSC.
That company is Eureka Entertainment, which distributes foreign films. I have their uncut release of Kwaidan (1964, Japan) and ran the disc through a program on my computer which indicated it was 29.97 fps.
Manga UK really should be more informed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
The only Anime disc I've seen released in the UK with NTSC video was Gunsmith Cats: Bulletproof.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5