• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
400 Bad Request / timeout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The problem hasn't gone away yet (just got a timeout on a preview of a long test message), but at least I can post short messages again (after deleting the session cookies).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Now trying
Code:
client_header_buffer_size  8k;
client_header_timeout  25s;
How is that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
How is that?

Site's working much faster, even with submit. Smile
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I still get the "HTTP/0.9 200 OK", empty response. The site does seem faster though.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Can NGINX log raw incoming HTTP headers or only field-by-field (which might be too late in case of a HTTP-400)?

How much work would it be to set up a test environment ("test.animenewsnetwork.com", the domain is already visible out there) with all NGINX configurations identical to "www.animenewsnetwork.com" except for server logfile settings for HTTP headers & cookies to the maximum (and maybe a different port number to listen to so that you could use a port scanner for this one to trace the incoming headers if all else fails), and let only users with problems surf there? This way you might get a maximum of trace data with a minimum of server logging overhead (plus restrict the effect of any experimental NGINX settings to the "test pilots").
I'd expect to observe HTTP headers truncated at a much smaller threshold than the NGINX settings, thus clearing the server from the list of suspects.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I've already setup Nginx to log errors at the debug level, and even then I don't get much. All I've been getting are errors like
Code:
2010/05/27 20:08:52 [info] 88007#0: *37243 client timed out (60: Operation timed out) while reading client request line, client: 173.74.10.25, server: 0.0.0.0:80
Code:
2010/05/27 20:09:49 [info] 88006#0: *37281 client timed out (60: Operation timed out) while reading client request headers, client: 173.74.10.25, server: localhost, request: "GET /images/system/my-seen3.png HTTP/1.1", host: "fast.animenewsnetwork.com", referrer: "http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/"

Most of the errors are of the first type, meaning that even if Nginx was able to log raw headers (which AFAIK it can't), it wouldn't have anything to log; the request times out at the request line, before any headers even come in!

I googled a bunch of variations on those errors but nothing useful came up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Now trying
Code:
listen       80  default  rcvbuf=64K  sndbuf=64K  accept_filter=httpready;
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Still the same Confused

Did anything change at your provider perhaps? On Tuesday (see earlier in this thread) things worked for a while.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the issue is still here. I have also sent an e-mail to encyclopedist@ANN. Hope it helps.

According to "Live HTTP Headers" add-on I also get stuck at "HTTP/0.9 200 OK", so it's two people getting same error now. At least that should help.

PS: Posted with Chrome.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
According to "Live HTTP Headers" add-on I also get stuck at "HTTP/0.9 200 OK", so it's two people getting same error now.

Make that three. Also forced to use Chrome to have a normal navigation through ANN.

Subscribers are probably the ones sending more feedback about the situation because they should normally have stronger ties to the ANN community. If non-subscribers encounter difficulty in accessing the encyclopedia or the forums, I seriously doubt they will take their time to make a report. They will just move towards other options like Wikipedia and AniDB.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Right now, fast. for me is not fast at all. www. is even faster than fast. I've been using bel. almost exclusively, as it seems to be normal relatively. I usually never log out of session for days - dunno if that has something to do with it. There has to be a way to turn off my subscription option so it doesn't redirect me to fast. automagically.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
Subscribers can try this
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
I tried www just now. It takes a little longer to timeout, but gives the same "HTTP/0.9 200 OK" result Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The problem (or what we know of it) has been fixed. Please let us know if you still encounter any 400/500 error messages, any time-outs or any very slow performance.

-t
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The problem (or what we know of it) has been fixed.

Someone must have dumped RedBull onto the servers because these things are fast. I don't think I've ever seen the site run so fast.

Kudos, and thanks to all for the fix. Oh, no problems on my end. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6