• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Clean-up & split required for Akiko SUZUKI #6685

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
Akiko SUZUKI (鈴木 明子 = the 1995 seiyuu, outdated kanji name, see below)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
鈴木 晶子 = すずき あきこ = SUZUKI Akiko (seiyuu)
(active since 1991, 1965-07-22, website at 81produce, Wikipedia page with >30 anime credits;
birth name: 鈴木 明子 = SUZUKI Akiko, see below; change of name: 2007-03-01)
鈴木 晶子 (1992) Rainbow Samurai (TV) as Choujirou Kondou (Wikipedia page of anime)
鈴木 晶子 (2008) XxxHOLiC: Kei (TV) as Jeff (Tengu Karasu) (Marumegane)
鈴木 晶子 (2009) Kawa no Hikari (special) as Suzume (Wikipedia page of anime)

鈴木 明子 = SUZUKI Akiko (seiyuu) (same as above. see Wikipedia page)
(current owner of this entry; this is the birth name of the seiyuu above which means that her kanji name is outdated; I flagged her given name accordingly but can't overwrite the kanji there)
鈴木 明子 (1995) Wedding Peach (TV) as Child (eps 27, 29) (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/3064/Wpch.htm)

_________ (1991) Oniisama E... (TV) as Student (ep 14) (source is HTTP-404, no confirmation found, http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/3064/Onsm.htm)
This appears to be an error but as I don't have a proof it should stay with the other seiyuu roles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
鈴木 明子 = すずき あきこ = SUZUKI Akiko (photography) (JMDB entry, 1 role only)
鈴木 明子 (1982) Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon (movie) : Director of Photography (JMDB)
This happens to be the same kanji as the seiyuu's birth name but is 9 years before the seiyuu started her carreer, so apparently this is a different person.
鈴木 曉子 = SUZUKI Akiko / Akemi (Finish/Paint) (2 EDICT readings; no 曉子 person in ANN!)
鈴木 暁子 (2008) Soul Eater (TV) : Clean-Up Animation (D2_STATION)
鈴木 曉子 (2009) Before Green Gables (TV) : Digital Paint (Studio Robin) (livedoor wiki)
This appears to be another new person; the Green Garbles reference is backed up by many websites so this isn't just a kanji typo but I have no clue about her romanized name (other than the two credits at ANN indicating that someone believed it to be "Akiko").
鈴木 晃子 = SUZUKI Akiko (animator, Studio Cockpit)
(8 EDICT readings; 6 晃子 persons in ANN, all "Akiko")
鈴木 晃子 (1998) Queen Emeraldas (OAV) : In-Between Animation (Studio Cockpit) (livedoor wiki)
鈴木 晃子 (1999) To Heart (TV) : Key Animation (shirayuki)
鈴木 晃子 (2000) Hand Maid May (TV) : In-Between Check (D2_STATION)
This should become a new person as there are enough credits waiting for her, such as
鈴木 晃子 (1998) Bomberman Bidaman Bakugaiden (TV) (not yet contributed, http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/animelist/ad/Bdmn1.htm)
鈴木 晃子 (2002) Piano TV (not yet contributed, http://zeev.blog119.fc2.com/blog-entry-26.html)
鈴木 麻紀子 = SUZUKI Makiko #1750 (two EDICT readings: "Makiko" and "Akiko")
鈴木 麻紀子 (1998) Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (movie) : In-Between Animation (Studio Live) (JMDB)
鈴木 麻紀子 (2001) Princess Arete (movie) : Key Animation (http://09052563.at.webry.info/200909/article_1.html)
These are just errors; both flagged & added, the wrong credits can be hidden.
_________ (1998) Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku (TV) : Script Check (source: "DVD credits")
No idea what this is supposed to be.

So what can be done? It's safe to
  • rename the current entry to "Akiko Suzuki (seiyuu)",
  • fix her outdated kanji name,
  • split out the Studio Cockpit animator and
  • hide the wrong credits for Makiko Suzuki.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
For now I've split the animator and removed the given name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Kanji name added for the animator.

Anyone willing to hide the two wrong credits?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
I've processed the error reports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Things are improving in this case.

It's still a pity that the data model doesn't allow aliases under the same name to make use of former kanji names for contribution, so people who changed their kanji name will always look like a split request.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
As you say, we're not sure about the pronunciation of 鈴木 暁子, but I've split those two colorist credits here:
person#89048
it seemed better than leaving them with the seiyuu.

BTW you entered the family+given name as a given name :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
kanji name added for the colorist.

Sorry for the finger fault with the kanji. Cut & Paste has become a lot more difficult since you changed the source field from one line (where my browser could remember the URL last used) to several lines (where this doesn't work any more), and with only one clipboard and three strings to handle (family name, given name, URL) these things can happen. More so as family name and given name have to be contributed in two separate steps with two separate URLs even though it is almost impossible to know only one of them... having one combined input step for them would be nice.

If I had SQL read access to the persons database I'd make a query for any kanji name with more than 3 characters in one part, these are most likely the complete names instead of just a part (I haven't ever seen a Japanese name with 4 kanji in one part in any one of the 2000+ persons at ANN that I contributed something to; you could even issue a warning in such a case and require setting a checkbox to prevent this particular error).

You could also make a plausibility check whenever a kanji name is being entered: Is this combination of romanized and kanji name a likely one given the data already in the persons database? (Much like your plausibility test whether a name is a given name or a family name.) Again, a checkbox in case of "serious doubt" would be fine.
The success ratio would be higher for the family name (where many kanji combinations exist for most names but rarely ever more than one is actually in use) than for the given name.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Sorry for the finger fault with the kanji. Cut & Paste has become a lot more difficult since you changed the source field from one line (where my browser could remember the URL last used) to several lines (where this doesn't work any more), and with only one clipboard and three strings to handle (family name, given name, URL) these things can happen.

I use my computer's text editing program as a secondary clipboard for this sort of thing—especially since I also use it to compose E-mail and most forum posts.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
I do the same with JWPce (as I have to check possible romanizations for kanji-only names of persons who haven't got kanji names at ANN yet in order to find these persons).

It's just that the cut&paste of a kanji name into the contribution form has become more error-prone because I have to permanently switch between the kanji name and the source URL as clipboard content since the browser (Firefox 3.6.3.) cannot remember the latter any more due to the change of HTML field type (with the one-line field type for the source of the kanji name contribution form I needed only the kanji name in the clipboard, to be filled into two consecutive contribution forms for family name and given name).

So contributing kanji names for about 2000+ persons may occasionally cause a wrong entry... which is why I would like to be able to systematically check for them as it would be less work for encyclopedists if I were able to find and fix my own errors.

The same line of thought leads me to wanting a feature that lists all ANN data fields that I contributed and someone else flagged as error. I might be responsible for fixing these errors (as I made them), but for this I need to become aware of these reports. (I imagine this list being a part of the "My Encyclopedia Contributions" page.)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I find the quickest way to enter Kanji names is to open the first and last name forms in two tabs at the same time. The quickest way to do this is to open one, duplicate the tab then change the "infotype" in the URL to either 12 or 13 (depending which you opened first).
That way you can copy the URL and insert it in both then the name and insert it in both (copying the entire name and deleting the unwanted half in each case). Not ideal but it works - a combined screen for both would be an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I already have way too many tabs open at the same time (livedoor wiki, JMDB, J-Wikipedia, Google, the credit source page, the multi-input page for the anime I'm currently working at, the ANN search page to identify the current kanji-less person, plus a few more when I'm forced to supply kanji names for other persons first before I can safely identify the current person), and Firefox is scrolling some of them out of my view when they reach a double digit number. I'm already closing every tab I can as soon as possible, including the one of the Encyclopedia forum...

Posting the URL once and then taking it from the browser memory for the next handful of submissions (these can be more than just the kanji name in the case of a seiyuu) like it is still possible with the credits form was easier to handle.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
coming back to this, I've split off the photography credit at
person#89596

anyone willing to tackle the Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku credit?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I've found credit sources for Urayasu, but so far none given any script credits at all

http://web.archive.org/web/20031002015639/http://www.deen.co.jp/urayasu/
http://www.anime.marumegane.com/1998/urayasu.html
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/浦安鉄筋家族#.E3.82.A2.E3.83.8B.E3.83.A1.E7.89.88.E3.81.AB.E3.81.A4.E3.81.84.E3.81.A6

I found the first episode on Youtube and despaired at there only being two pages of credits but there actually is an Akiko Suzuki (鈴木あき子) included who appears to be credited with "文芸" (literature), whatever that means.

Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Script, literature... that's good enough for me.

Split writer credit at
person#89971

And with this I do believe it concludes the Akiko Suzuki saga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1