• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love to Love Ru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
One can see our beloved reviewer isn't into fanservice titles.

Quote:
My expectations for To Love Ru were so low to begin with that it's hard to be disappointed.

That's usually to the show's benefit in my case. If I expect nothing (as I did with this one beyond Koyasu's usual great work) & it delivers anything, then that's something.

Quote:
After I wrote my review, To Love Ru became my go-to example for a mediocre show that you've wasted your life watching. Several forum goers said things like "Yeah, that show was lame… I watched all of it." Why bother finishing the series if it was so mediocre?

Or you mean the "I was flipping channels/nothing else was on" sort of thing?

Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the staff didn't want to be working on To Love Ru. Sprinkled throughout the series are painstakingly well animated cut-away shots to space battle scenes. It's as if the storyboard artists and animators desperately wanted to work on a sci-fi show, but that just isn't what's hot right now on Japanese TV.

Isn't Lala a Space Alien Princess? Her father is this dreaded conquerer of planets? Did the title not START with the spaceship? I really think so, because I'm used to Koyasu showing up around ep 5 on titles he's in as semi-regular & I remember being shocked he had some of the opening lines. This having space battles sort of makes more sense than the entire set-up for Gintama (Yeah, Gintama IS way more amazing).

Quote:
Maybe the manga-ka wanted to do a space series, too, but his editor forced him to set it in high school.

That's a possibility, but it looks as though the point was adding a fresh element to the high school romance title. This one's crazy because she's from another planet. What the hell is Kaolla Su's excuse? How about Azumanga Daoih's Tomo? It's the Men-are-from-Mars-This-gal's-actually-from-another-planet.

Quote:
The entire second half of the series is similar to the second half of Kimagure Orange Road. In KOR, there's an odd "What If" episode, a Top Gun parody, and some other surreal shenanigans for what was a (slightly) more realistic show. To Love Ru was never realistic, but the Edo-era episode was a stretch. An entire episode is devoted to a magical girl show that Lala is watching. In one episode, Lala gets a fever that changes her personality each day, leading to a series of "What if"s. What if Lala was a tsundere? Etc

I've been into sci-fi since the 1970's (arguably since the '60's since we had some really bizarre shows on when I was a small child--It's About Time about astronauts winding up with cavemen. The Munsters & the Addams Family. BAtman. Wild Wild West was way more interesting than the other westerns my folks watched.) Sci-fi DOES do stuff like this, doesn't it? Not just the humorous titles which ARE looking to poke fun at what's come before, but even Star Trek went to past eras, didn't it?

You have this all wrong on that point. It IS very much in the vein of Excel Saga, isn't it? Across seeks to take over the world because it is corrupt, but most plots fail due to the grand scale of things, so Across seeks to start smaller-take over the city of F & then we get the alien space princess, a too intelligent dog likely escaped from a lab, the sports ep, the animal show ep, the sci-fi ep, Pedro the illegal alien who died in the first or 2nd ep's son getting forced into slave labor making anime...
Basically, this is Airplane humor. Throw it all at the audience & see what gets a laugh. For my money, any Japanese anime that refs Edgar Rice Burroughs & his classic John Carter hero is fully in the mode of campy sci fi humor I grew up on.

For my money, the traditional screwball romance humor bits were the ones that were less interesting (the personality-changing virus for example)

Quote:
In one bizarrely Furry-content heavy episode, a minor character is almost coerced into marrying an alien cat lady. This time I know I'm not wrong about saying "Furry," because the cat lady had both a muzzle and humanoid breasts.

Aya Hisakawa-Sailor Mercury is it? I know she was Kero/CCS.

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily watch To Love Ru, except for Jason Thompson, who claims to love 90s love comedies

I LIKE Airplane humor. Yeah, I like the intricate witty stuff, but this hits both bases because one DOES have to have a smattering of sci-fi knowledge to get some of the refs.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
RE: To Love-Ru, it is pretty average. I liked the first half better than the second half, but the second ending theme song made getting the second half worthwhile - I just loved that song! And considering I got it dirt-cheap ($24), I picked it up.

As far as YUA is concerned, it is more for the ardent fans of the series as a whole, which I am one. I would have preferred it bilingual, but I love the show enough that I am just happy to get it on R1 DVD!

I am so looking forward to the upcoming R1 Golgo 13 TV series release as I loved what I have seen of the Urban Vison releases, so I should probably check out Cobra - never can get too much manly anime!
Zade

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, your reviews are getting so grating. It's like your following a formula.

1. Describe something completely unrelated to the show.
2. Describe something similar that's in the anime.
3. Compare and contrast the 2.
4. Switch around when necessary and repeat.

It just seems lazy and unnecessary to me. Did anyone else get that feeling?
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:

It just seems lazy and unnecessary to me. Did anyone else get that feeling?

I get that feeling. It's great Erin likes The Venture Bros., but she's supposed to be writing a review, not making references to other shows. At least save those for the end of the review. Secondly, the stuff she writes in the begining of the review is unnecessary. It's fine that Erin was really into horses and derbies, but we don't need to know that. Erin should save that stuff for a diary or journal, cause quite frankly, I don't care what she liked in the past. I don't know her in person, so why should I? She should write something more relevant. It's a review, not a compare and contrast.

CCSYueh you make some very good points. Even though I'm not a fan of To Love Ru, Erin should not criticize others for liking an anime she doesn't. As a reviewer she needs to point out what's good and/or bad about an anime, not say what she thinks of it. A good example would be Right Turn Only. Carlo says what's good or bad about a manga, then says a final verdict. Even if he gives the impression he doesn't like something, he never outright says anything that could come off as insulting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I know the Space Adventure Cobra movie had an English dub. One of the few movies the UK Sci-fi Channel aired way back when.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
tyciol wrote:
I want some love for Akage no Anne and Starship Troopers.

Shelf Life is meant for new releases, but there is that new Akage no Anne remake I could check out, if it's available legally.

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Secondly, the stuff she writes in the begining of the review is unnecessary. It's fine that Erin was really into horses and derbies, but we don't need to know that. Erin should save that stuff for a diary or journal, cause quite frankly, I don't care what she liked in the past. I don't know her in person, so why should I? She should write something more relevant. It's a review, not a compare and contrast.

In response to this, I inherited the column from Bamboo Dong, who still edits it (and reads the forums). Her columns always started out with a diary bit. She also transitioned between the reviews to tie everything together and provided some sort of closer. Those are the requirements from my editors.

I'll concede that sometimes my diary intro bits are too long.

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
As a reviewer she needs to point out what's good and/or bad about an anime, not say what she thinks of it. A good example would be Right Turn Only. Carlo says what's good or bad about a manga, then says a final verdict.

We've had the discussion in the forums about what it is a reviewer's job to do (or not do) several times after some of my earlier columns. I believe it is a reviewer's job to give his/her opinion on a show, and an "objective" review is impossible. Additionally, Shelf Life is written in the first person. It's meant to be more personal than the other reviews on ANN.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Erin should save that stuff for a diary or journal, cause quite frankly, I don't care what she liked in the past. I don't know her in person, so why should I? She should write something more relevant. It's a review, not a compare and contrast.

I don't know you in person and as far as I know you know absolutely nothing about writing reviews, so why should I care what you think?

All snarkiness aside, your criticisms are based on what is obviously a fundamental misunderstanding of what this column is and what it's supposed to be. This isn't a series of formal reviews, it's personality-driven content. If you want formal reviews, we have a bunch of them on the front page every day.

Last edited by Zac on Mon May 03, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:

They do happen to follow a formula, although I've never written it out like this before:

1. Intro/opening/diary
2. Lead in to review #1 with a transition
a. Link to previous related review if applicable
b. Briefly summarize the plot
c. Give my opinion on the the show
d. Mention some similar shows, anime or live-action
e. Talk about the release/dub.
3. Transition into review #2
- Repeat -
4. Closing statement

A to E happen in different orders, depending on the day. I also try to work in some background on the show, but I'm trying to keep the word count low, so there isn't always room for historical detail.

I've also reviewed manga for Publishers Weekly, which specified in its guidelines that reviewers ought not summarize at length, but try to criticize and summarize simultaneously. I try to do that, but it doesn't always work.
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm still overwhelmed that my collection got featured!

THanks for choosing mine, Erin!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
Why bother finishing the series if it was so mediocre?

But that's the thing: there is a lot else on! If nothing else, you can re-watch older shows, something I did last fall and winter. Why waste your time?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
Why bother finishing the series if it was so mediocre?

But that's the thing: there is a lot else on! If nothing else, you can re-watch older shows, something I did last fall and winter. Why waste your time?

Pass time? To be honest, I've seen people do some odd actions for no reason at all. It's the consumer businesses what he or she watches, so that is what is boils down to.

To Love Ru may not be that bad of a show, but once you seen one harem show, the other harem themed shows are pretty much similar. Not always, but to this day, the only "harem" manga I really have enjoyed is Love Hina and Love Collage
Love Hina is a pretty much a harem until the last volume, but at least the characters turn 18 at some point and the story is rather interesting. The artwork is good, but nothing too outlandish.

Love Collage artwork is fairly well drawn and the characters aren't as bland as the series may suggest. However, although the fanservice isn't as prevalent in the later chapters, the fanservice still brings the series down slightly. In fact, later in the series, the girls break away from the harem and actually move on with their lives.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been into sci-fi since the 1970's (arguably since the '60's since we had some really bizarre shows on when I was a small child--It's About Time about astronauts winding up with cavemen. The Munsters & the Addams Family. BAtman. Wild Wild West was way more interesting than the other westerns my folks watched.) Sci-fi DOES do stuff like this, doesn't it? Not just the humorous titles which ARE looking to poke fun at what's come before, but even Star Trek went to past eras, didn't it?

WOW, CSYueh! Somebody else besides me remembers It's About Time
too! I don't think that show lasted more than one season, I was really sad when it disappeared. And don't forget the great My Favorite Martian Laughing
Well, back to business. I myself got into anime because of science fiction, so I watch very few romances except for the fantastical types like Fruits Basket and Kigmure Orange Road neither of which are overly sexualized.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Um, so you basically say you hate To Love Ru, but give it a shelf worthy? Oh, and if I don't have nearly as many volumes of manga as buizel did, but about 3x more issues of Shonen Jump, at the least, would it get featured?
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if you're talking about the Cobra: The Animation TV series, that is someone doing a Nachi Nozawa impression: Naoya Uchida.
Mad Ludwig

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series keeps cutting back to a half-completed bridge. The season arc takes place over the course of a year, and it's revealed that construction on the bridge will soon be complete. I was hoping someone would jump a car (or a motorcycle, I'm not picky) over the half-completed bridge, but (spoilers) it never happens! Instead the bridge is completed and the Traffic Safety division drives across it slowly and safely during the bridge opening ceremony.

(snip)

I can't condemn YUA that much. It's well animated. The episode where Natsumi likens her romantic interests to "cake" and "steak" made me laugh.

These scenes you described were from YUA Season 2 (aka Fast & Furious) Part 2, not Full Throttle.

Quote:
Is it weird that I would rather watch the original You're Under Arrest than Full Throttle just because the cels were hand painted? After 2000, all anime was digitally colored, but I know the original was hand painted on cels, because I still see the cels for sale at conventions. At least if I was watching a cel painted show, I would know the cel painters put some blood, sweat, and tears into their work.

Nothing weird about that at all. Smile I've been enjoying the later seasons of YUA, but I do like the animation and design from the first seasons best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5